LoadingReadyRun Patreon

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Darkflame
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Re: LoadingReadyRun Patreon

Postby Darkflame » 04 Jan 2015, 14:19

SohNata wrote:I imagine before making anybody else full-time, they'll want to see how stable the funding from Patreon is. It's not unheard of for some to start out really strong, but then tail off before finding a price-range they consistently stay at.

Indeed.
I have yet to donate and sort of unsure how much for this reason. I dont trust myself - Id happily chuck them a big lump sum, but struggle to think what I can do for an extended period. (Working freelance my income is erratic, so its not simply "this much of my entertainment budget" or whatever)
http://www.fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
--
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+. Give us a like if you can, it all helps.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 04 Jan 2015, 23:49

One of the advantages of Patreon is you can adjust your donation level at any time - they use the amount you have set at the end of the month. There is nothing that is stopping you from being quite generous one month and hardly donating the next. Of course the Crew would prefer that you donate a consistent amount so that their income does not fluctuate widely.

I know comparing the Patreon to the Kickstarter is like comparing apples to oranges - for example there are currently hardly any backer rewards that need to be purchased - but the Patreon total per month is about half the Kickstarter total divided by 12 ($7686.63 versus $15538.25) and the number of Patreon patrons is less than half the number of Kickstarter backers (887 versus 2253). While the level of Patreon support is excellent and I do not expect the same level of exceptional support the Kickstarter received, I do feel their is room for improvement.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Darkflame
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Darkflame » 05 Jan 2015, 07:35

Sure, but I am guessing the reduced quantity might be people in positions akin to mind rather then people that dont want to support at all.
Guess its probably better to underestimate pledge levels rather then over, as increasing it later is better for them then reducing it.
http://www.fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
--
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+. Give us a like if you can, it all helps.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 05 Jan 2015, 10:37

I think people do budget ongoing expenses differently than lump sums. At least for me, it was very easy to impulsively throw a couple hundred bucks at the Kickstarter, while I'm having a hard time doing the same for the Patreon.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
SohNata
First Video: Unskippable

Postby SohNata » 05 Jan 2015, 11:16

Exactly. One-off payments are much, much easier because you immediately know the impact of that and being able to justify it. When I backed the KS, I backed for as much as I felt I could justify at the time (Approx £250). I knew I had that £250 spare. When I look at the Patreon, it's like...well, I earn X amount of money per month, after bills & tax and what have you. Then there's all the other Patreons I back, or subscriptions I have and I end up doing the math and it's suddenly - holy shit - if I back for this much, what I'm actually doing is giving this person 20% of my monthly income. Can I justify that? So then I scale it down.

Awareness may build yet. The Patreon really seemed to spike up when it was first mentioned during LRRMTG last week, for example. I do think the crew could do a little bit of a better job promoting it though. (It's not even in the info underneath the stream currently or as far as I can tell, any of the stream overlays.)
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 05 Jan 2015, 11:59

Whatever works for you individually is your call, of course!
But for the majority of people it's actually much easier to say "sure $5 a month" than "$80 right now", so Patreon works better for that.

Also, for how we make content, it makes way more sense.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 05 Jan 2015, 13:21

Maybe it will pick up once we know more about what's in the mystery box.

Sure, the Patreon is at half of the KS, but the current list of things you get is much lower. Crapshots and 6 CHs.

I mean, just that and the streams are worth it to me, and I trust the mystery box, but there is less well-defined stuff being promised, so far.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 05 Jan 2015, 13:32

I trust in LRR, I trust they will create good things that will be entertaining for us.

On the flip side I have 0 trust in LRR to get even these few "tier rewards" done. Im a little disappointed that they reached the 6000 level because I feel it was more likely that we would get a "long form" Commodore Hustle at 5999 than it is now at 6000+

It was rather telling that they were joking about just that thing on the launch stream I think it was Paul who said "if we hit that level I look forward to rushing to film it in December"
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 05 Jan 2015, 15:45

I think the people who made 52 sketches last year, and every year for the last 11 can make another 6. After all, they have so much extra time now.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Shandi
First Video: The Secret Life of Toast

Postby Shandi » 05 Jan 2015, 17:45

I feel like the main point of the Patreon and its relative lack of specific "rewards" (per se) is to facilitate the patronage people who want to support LRR being LRR. If you prefer to spend your money and foresee the return on it, there are other ways to do that. This lets us just say, "Yeah. Keep doing what you do. Let me help however works for you." I'm sure all who contribute to the Patreon have some measure of this sentiment. We know creatives need space, time, freedom, flexibility, maybe a little faith. LRR started out that way by virtue of asking nothing in return for what it gave its community, for years. Now we get to hopefully see that again, but with a little giving back from our side.
This is why I'm LOL!
-Shandi
Snowman
First Video: Unskippable 01 - Lost Plane

Postby Snowman » 18 Mar 2015, 13:43

It's Over 9000
Snowman

Postby Snowman » 17 May 2015, 20:34

Are there any ideas for a new Patreon goal, if another 3K to 5K get raised?
Spartan_N30
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby Spartan_N30 » 17 May 2015, 20:38

Snowman wrote:Are there any ideas for a new Patreon goal, if another 3K to 5K get raised?

Might I suggest there being a special patreon video per month that patreon donators could vote upon?
When all else fails.... use duck tape

EDH deck: Prosh, Skyraider of kher
SohNata
First Video: Unskippable

Postby SohNata » 18 May 2015, 09:57

I may have dreamt it, but I could've sworn Graham said something in the lat few days about new goals forthcoming.
Snowman

Postby Snowman » 19 Dec 2015, 23:02

Did they revert to showing taxes / collection charges (/ whatever it was that dropped the total) or has there been an upswing in Patreon contributions/patrons?
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 20 Dec 2015, 12:38

There's been an upswing due to people trying to get on the wall. It'll drop off in March probably.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 29 Feb 2016, 14:02

If you want to get on the wall, get your patronage up to $150 by the end of today!
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Return to “General Discussion”