New Quest Available!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Re: New Quest Available!

Postby Lord Chrusher » 08 Jun 2015, 01:06

Sunday 15 push ups and 60 crunches

I only managed push ups on three days this week. I think I over did it the first few day and Wednesday I could barely do one push up so I decided to give my body a rest for a few days.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 08 Jun 2015, 01:08

Twenty of each every morning, and that's the last of that. Except that it isn't - my metabolism has been slowing down with age, of late noticibly, this quest has been very good for me and I am going to continue it.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 08 Jun 2015, 03:00

It seems my body has gone severely downhill in terms of muscular strength over the last year or so. I used to be able to do 3x sets of 20 push ups and 30 crunches, now more like half that. And then, to cap it all, I kept forgetting so have only done one or two sets per day tops. Not a great showing from me.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Tinasaur
First Video: Forget About It

Postby Tinasaur » 08 Jun 2015, 05:04

I didn't get around to doing the extra credits but at least I got the one set done today. I did an easier version of a pushup since I've had trouble with my wrist and I haven't regained all my strength yet. Still I was surprised it went as well as it did so good to know it's getting better.
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 08 Jun 2015, 07:53

I feel terrible. I never managed to finish this quest. Turns out my ganglion cyst decided to make a painful return, so push ups are out of the question right now. But the sit-ups were managed.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
betsytheripper
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

Postby betsytheripper » 08 Jun 2015, 08:06

Did my morning routine Saturday and today. Because I stayed at the bf's yesterday, did the sets last night before bed. Hoping to keep it up, actually.
-betsy
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 08 Jun 2015, 08:17

Sorry to everyone with injuries. :( I know not all the quests are doable for everyone, but it still sucks. If there are reasons you cannot complete a quest, please let me know, and I'll try to work out something else for you to do instead!
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

JustAName

Postby JustAName » 08 Jun 2015, 09:00

QUEST #21 IS NOW CLOSED

Quest #22

Recommend one of your favourite books that is in the public domain. (This part is necessary because anyone with internet access needs to be able to read this book.) You may also recommend another book if you like, but people are less likely to be able to get ahold of that in time. Do this part by Friday at the latest, preferably Wednesday.

Then pick a book recommended by someone else, read the first ten pages (I'm keeping it to that few because I want you to be thorough) and give an honest, thoughtful impression of it so far.

Quest starts at 10 AM Pacific Time on Monday, June 8, 2015, and ends at 9:59 AM Pacific Time on Monday, June 15, 2015.

Good Luck!

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

JustAName

Postby JustAName » 08 Jun 2015, 09:27

Personally, I like Austen and I like P&P, but in this instance I'd like to recommend Persuasion. P&P is nice for the righteous indignation and the charming hate-to-love story, but I like the slow burn and the quiet romance that is Persuasion.

fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 08 Jun 2015, 09:29

There are books that change your life, there are books that change the world, and there are books that are artistic masterpieces - but my favourite book is none of these, it is quite simply a book that fills me with joy:

The Hunting of the Snark, by Lewis Carroll.

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/173165
SohNata
First Video: Unskippable

Postby SohNata » 08 Jun 2015, 09:42

One of the books that really got me into his work and while I have barely read the last few years, this one has stuck into my mind:

The City & The City by China Mieville: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-City-China- ... 033053419X

If you're a fan of interesting worlds, fantasy/sci-fi and deep writing, this will be for you (I hope!)
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 08 Jun 2015, 10:31

Unfortunately, it's not in the public domain!

Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 08 Jun 2015, 10:43

[http://www.feedbooks.com/publicdomain]

Just in case people didn't know a place to find books in the Public Domain.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 08 Jun 2015, 10:46

It took me a while to think of this, but I'll throw my hat into the ring with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's "A Study In Scarlet". I personally preferred the novel-length Holmes stories to the shorter ones, and this is no exception. With the recent revival of Sherlock Holmes as a pop culture figure (see Cumberbatch and Downey), it's quite interesting to see where the character first came from, and how the characters of Holmes and, especially, Watson have moved on since then.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 08 Jun 2015, 10:47

Valkyrie was dead, to begin with.

[Cristmas Carol]
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 08 Jun 2015, 11:18

King Lear

I'm no real fan of Shakespeare, but I actually really enjoyed King Lear.
Probably helped that I read it in a Literary Criticism class rather then a regular English course.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 08 Jun 2015, 11:22

I'll recommend Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad then. It wasn't the most mind-blowing book I've ever read, but it was deep, thoughtful and interesting. It was quiet and loud at the same time in an odd way that I can't quite describe.

I also found it impressive when I found out that the author is originally from Poland, and English was like... the fourth language he learnt, or some such.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 08 Jun 2015, 13:21

Does it have to be a literary work? Because I quite enjoyed reading "Ignition! An informal history of liquid rocket propellants" by John Drury Clark

Which tells the development of rocket propellants from the standpoint of a chemist in the middle of it all (Does feature some actual chemics, but this can be skipped over without missing much) He tells a lot of entertaining anecdotes on the goings on (and sometimes insanity) in the business and it gives a nice overview of how we ended up at the current state of affairs in rocketry.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 08 Jun 2015, 13:26

If you think it's entertaining enough to qualify, sure!

Tinasaur
First Video: Forget About It

Postby Tinasaur » 08 Jun 2015, 13:36

Then I'll go with recommending a comic book series, because my mind immediately went to Elfquest and I can highly recommend it! I first read it as a young impressional teen and it was one of those reads that shaped who I grew up to be. Basically it's a fantasy story of wolfrider elves mixed with deep philosophical reflections.

The first issue was released in 1979 so by now almost the entire series is readable for free on the official website at http://elfquest.com/gallery/OnlineComics/digitalEQ.html

To start reading from the absolute beginning, go to http://elfquest.com/gallery/OnlineComic ... ?s=OQ/OQ01

Ok the links should work now..
Last edited by Tinasaur on 09 Jun 2015, 00:50, edited 4 times in total.
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 08 Jun 2015, 13:54

Dutch guy- I've been playing enough Kerbal recently that I'm DEFINITELY interested. Plus, a nice chance dust off that Chemistry A Level again
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 08 Jun 2015, 13:57

Hm, thinking about it, can you call out if there's one you particularly want to do? I'd like to have as little overlap as possible, so most peoples' suggestions get read.

2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 08 Jun 2015, 14:05

My recommendation is Arthur Conan Doyle's Hound of the Baskervilles. I've read it, and seen it performed as a play.
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 08 Jun 2015, 14:06

Well, in that case I'll call the rocketry textbook
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 08 Jun 2015, 14:09

I'll call dibs on the Lewis Carroll story by fantome. Also checks an author off my list of 'should really read more of'...

Return to “General Discussion”