New Quest Available!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Re: New Quest Available!

Postby Elomin Sha » 10 Aug 2015, 09:06

Easy. I have a number of them from 1995/96. My Sega Mega Drive, Star Wars TIE Fighter and Star Wars Supremacy, Dungeon Keeper game. The rest of my collection is at my father's.

I spent hours on them during primary and secondary school because they were my only 'friends'. I was beaten, tormented, hurled threats at, made fun of because I was English in the Welsh Valleys. It was my way to forget about them, that and I lived in the Brecon Beacons away from anyone from that school. When I joke that I haven't had any friends or emotional attachments before joining the forum it really was true.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
betsytheripper
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

Postby betsytheripper » 10 Aug 2015, 10:04

I have a couple shirts that used to belong to my mom before I was born. One I accidentally stained with hair dye, and I can't remember how she got that one, but it's pale pink with a little lace trim on the neckline and it says "Wee bit o' Heather" with a heather sprig and a butterfly. The other is from a Watermelon Sidewalk Sale from my hometown, there's even a little 1987 trademark symbol on it. They're both super comfortable and sturdy shirts, especially to have lasted more than 25 years, even if some of that was in storage. I think I acquired them from her about a decade ago.

Actually, now that I think of it, the heather one might have been given to my mom by my grammie, who went on a tour of the UK when my mom was 16-17, which would mean my mom wore that shirt for about 10 years, and now I've been wearing it for 10 years. That's a long time.

But as I said, they're both really nice, comfortable shirts, and it's just kind of really neat that I get to wear something my mom wore when she was my age (and younger). I feels like that's not a very common tradition anymore.

Those are the oldest things I own. The things I've had the longest are a stuffed rabbit that came with a wooden Pat the Bunny book that I got when I was two, which used to be white and is now grey, has been loved bare in some spots, and has had his tail/tag sewn back on many, many times. Some people have a blanket, I had Bun-Bun. I also have a pink teddy bear that winds up and plays a musicbox tune that my granpa gave me when I was born. These are both just very sentimental items that were intended explicitly for me.
-betsy
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 10 Aug 2015, 10:40

I believe the oldest item is my grandfather's physics textbook. A First Course in Physics for Colleges by Millikan, Gale and Edwards was published in 1928. My grandfather used it when he was studying at the University of British Columbia during the Second World War.

It is interesting to compare it to my first year physics textbook. Much of the physics is the same - much of what is taught in undergraduate physics today is classical physics which was in place by the end of the nineteenth century. The presentation is quite different - there is much more of a focus on various machines, machines that were new or exciting when the book was written but seem humdrum today.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 10 Aug 2015, 11:16

Thing I've had the longest: A frog-shaped pillow my mother made when I was a toddler - I'm pretty sure it's still in my closet somewhere.

Oldest thing I own: Well, there's my father's slide rule from when he was in university (late 50's/early 60's). There's also a copy of the Collected Works of Charles Dickens circa 1898, but that's a family possession (belonged to my great-great(-great?)-grandfather).
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Tinasaur
First Video: Forget About It

Postby Tinasaur » 10 Aug 2015, 13:25

This quest got oddly chair-centric for me :P The oldest things in my apartment are a pair of chairs from the 1800's gifted to us by my boyfriends father. He bought them at a second hand store and they're standing in our windowed alcove looking pretty because we don't really dare sit in them. The thing I've had with me for the longest is a tiny wooden chair that I've had since I was small enough to use it. As I moved away from home I took it with me mostly because I had so few furnitures and I figured I could always use it as a footstool or something. It's been surprisingly useful during the years, lately as a place to put our fan during the summerheat. It's high enough that it's not on the floor, but low enough so it doesn't blow into the mic when we skype.
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 10 Aug 2015, 14:54

I have a white plastic Christmas tree that I inherited from my Great grandmother. It lights up. This was the tree she had up every year during my childhood. Of the 7 grandkids and seven greatgrandkids, I'm the one who got the tree. :)
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 10 Aug 2015, 16:22

There are 2 objects, I don't know which one is older though.
I have a pot that is at least 20 years old. It is probably older though. When I was a little girl my dad used to make strawberry jam in this pot with my mom. When I was in grade 4, after my mom left, I made taffy for a school project using this pot. I burnt the pot. However I still use it, and I probably won't ever get rid of it.

I also have a crock pot and it says it was patented in 1976. It was the only one we had when we were kids, and as I asked for it, I got it when I moved out. I'm not allowed to get rid of it either. Though I might give it to my older sister.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 15 Aug 2015, 17:09

Kiev IIa 1957, Soviet made version of the Contax IIa, well the factory and equipment was all given to Russia which moved it from the factory in Germany to Ukraine as payment for world war II

Zeiss Ikoflex 1953 Pretty little TLR that I bought for 100 usd that the seller said it was in perfect condition. The fact I had to take apart the focusing mechanism says otherwise, but price was good for the condition it was in.

I have a 1909 Kodak around here somewhere but it's more an oddity than a camera I use...
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 16 Aug 2015, 00:44

Since leaving for uni, I've left a lot of my older stuff behind; my stuffed bear that I got when I was about two, old models and projects, a horn that I received when my grandfather died. Currently, the thing in my room that I've owned the longest (aside from odd items of clothing and rugby kit) is probably an award I got at the end-of-season dinner from my last season of playing rugby for my old club. It's nothing fancy- a fairly standard sporting medallion in the case, with "<Club Name> / Man and Boy" engraved on a panel in the case. But it carries a lot of memories with it- it's the only real visible reminder I have of my playing days, which I still miss terribly. I used to say about my old teammates that I wouldn't trust them five minutes with a girl I liked, but I'd trust each of them with my life when we stepped out onto the pitch- a very old-school, masculine, brotherly kind of relationship. I was a very different person to a lot of them; I was a geek, went to grammar school away from most of them and didn't drink that much. But that wasn't the point- we were teammates, and that was what mattered.

Oldest thing in my room (if you don't count the re-enactment kit, which is only pretending to be 800 years old) is a spokeshave I've got on a shelf (a spokeshave is a type of plane used for shaping internal curves and getting large amounts of wood off a surface). No idea how old it is since I got it less than a year ago, but it's a fairly beat up piece of steel and cast iron of a style that leads me to think it's at least as old as I am.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 16 Aug 2015, 02:39

Hard to say what the oldest thing I have actually is as I don't know the exact age for some items. I have a Zorki 4 camera (russian copy of a Leika II) from the 1979 (if I remember correctly, it's currently at my parents) that I inherited from my grandfather. I have a tent I've used for summercamps with the gliderclub for 4 years now that was made somewhere in the mid to late 70s, but don't know the exact year. And I have the old sewing machine of my grandmother. I don't know the exact age put its most likely from the early 70s I only got it recently and had it refurbished. I've used it last week to make a new canopy cover for one of the gliders of my club.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 16 Aug 2015, 14:31

Well I'd say my oldest item in my room is probably my Playstation One (which still works).

It was my first console I owned, and it made me fall in love with video games. : 3 The first game I got for it was Bugs Bunny through time (wasn't a bad game), but I would say the game that really made me fall in love with games was Final Fantasy IX. The first "proper" game I played; and I've never looked back. ᴖ ᴗ ᴖ
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
I X
First Video: Crime And Punishment. I think.

Postby I X » 16 Aug 2015, 17:22

The oldest thing of mine that I can think of in my room is my small collection of my dad's old shirts which are probably from the late 80s? They're not particularly exciting but I like them because they make me feel more like an adult, and also connected to my dad, who I don't get to see as much since moving away.
Often outnumbered, never outpunned.

Note: in Ireland 'ye' is used as the plural of 'you'. It rather neatly avoids confusion online.

"Your accent is...ubiquitous."
-Graham Stark
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 16 Aug 2015, 23:36

The thing that I have had the longest is the rocking chair that my mother built whilst she was pregnant with me. The chair & I came from the same person at the same time, which I've always thought of as neat. It creaks wonderfully and thoroughly when you sit in it, has a very pleasing counter-motion, and is something I have always been very fond of.

The actual oldest things I own will be books, though I am not sure the exact dates - and have been away from home and cannot check - I have a fondness for very old collections of fairy tales.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 17 Aug 2015, 00:01

Drat, forgot about this and I should be sleeping. :P

Oldest thing I own... probably a leather coat that used to be my dad's, which I think he bought in the early eighties sometime. Apparently he shopped around for months trying to find the right one, going to stores all over the area. He's the sort of person who would have pretty specific requirements about the type of leather, and he wanted on that was just the right style. But apparently once he had it, he rarely actually wore it. It sat in my basement my entire childhood, unused. When I was about fourteen, my friends and I wanted to shoot a movie for fun, an Indiana Jones parody (it was awful) with me as the lead. I ended up borrowing the coat for that, realized it fit pretty well, and he said I could have it. The last few winters it's been my mainstay, and it's still in great shape and super comfortable.

As for the thing I've owned the longest, that's easy. A blue teddy bear, aptly named Blue Bear, that my grandparents gave to me on the day I was born. Doesn't get much longer than that. :P
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 17 Aug 2015, 01:47

Whoops, forgot that I have an NES hidden under my bed. Still works.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 17 Aug 2015, 08:40

Hey guys! I'll be doing my best to update the spreadsheet today or tomorrow, as I know I've let it go for a while. Regardless, most of you have enough to reactivate at least one quest, so you might want to think about which one(s) you want to try again!
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Gap Filler
First Video: The Job

Postby Gap Filler » 17 Aug 2015, 09:00

Restricting myself to what I have with me here as the alternative is having to consider the many things stored elsewhere.

Oldest thing to hand is a Maxim Gorky book (one of his autobiogs) from the sixties which I bought in a charity shop round the corner from where I used to live. Still unread because I'm one of those people who accrues at a rate well exceeding ability to process, be it books, video games or food.

Longest owned thing to hand is a Merzbow album (1930) I bought in the late nineties. Something of a hardy perennial touchstone for my musical tastes that one.

Hope I've made the deadline on this one.
"In the neighbourhood of infinity; it was the time of the giant moths..."
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 17 Aug 2015, 09:02

QUEST #31 IS NOW CLOSED

Quest #32

Take a slightly different route on a trip you frequently make (to work, to the gym, to the store, etc.). This is best for walking, but if you drive, it might be interesting as well. Just take that next street over and see what is different and interesting there that you never saw before.

Quest starts at 10 AM Pacific Time on Monday, August 17, 2015, and ends at 17:59 GMT on Monday, August 17, 2015. (This is the same time as normal, but I will be in a different place!)

Good Luck!
Last edited by JustAName on 17 Aug 2015, 23:34, edited 2 times in total.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 17 Aug 2015, 10:07

Now...I wonder, what different place Fayili will be next week.

Oooo, ooo, Timbuktu! I'm right aren't I?
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 17 Aug 2015, 18:13

1759 AM? I know GMT is weird for most of us, but surely the 24 hour clock rules are the same...
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 17 Aug 2015, 23:23

If GMT is weird, then I don't want to live in a world with nomal. It's just the average time it takes the planet to rotate, it's the basis of our concept of time. Seventeen fifty-nine AM is an entirely sensible t... no wait, what? Time has gone wrong...
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 17 Aug 2015, 23:34

I'm sure I don't know WHAT you're talking about. Now shush, I'm still busy packing. >.<

KidSpanner
First Video: Installation Anxiety (2010)

Postby KidSpanner » 19 Aug 2015, 08:15

so this week I'm taking a new route home from work. I am achieving this via the simple method of no longer driving Fayili home and watching a few hours of Star Trek first. This new route is strictly worse, even though I think I spotted a book store I didn't know about yesterday.
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 19 Aug 2015, 18:19

new route to work in that I have to take my kids to daycare now and have decided to walk them instead of taking the bus for 4 stops then walking for 10 minutes. I have since found a nice neighbourhood and what I assume to be a bike path close by. Also I should just start walking more. Perhaps tomorrow I shall take another route to the club house when I leave the half-way house at work.
Last edited by MinniChi on 21 Aug 2015, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 19 Aug 2015, 19:21

Coming back from the VA today we drove the back way down semi residential streets.

We hit a rabbit that bolted out of the ditch and into my tire. :(

This is why change is bad.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!

Return to “General Discussion”