New Quest Available!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Re: New Quest Available!

Postby JustAName » 21 Sep 2015, 09:00

Thank you so much, everyone, for your kind words. I'm glad that this project of mine has been fun. <3
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 21 Sep 2015, 13:36

I did a long post and got logged out. T.T

The short of it was my subject would be on "Do Japanese games borrow more from Western Culture then Western Games borrow from Japanese culture?"

I'll edit this later to give more details...but meh post! T.T
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 21 Sep 2015, 14:34

In a strange twist of fate I am currently writing a telescope proposal.

Would it be ok to post a synopsis of it? Or should I think up something new?
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 21 Sep 2015, 19:08

Short synopsis of what was my proposed doctoral dissertation. (note: was... long story)

There is a great deal of miscommunication between agencies when multiple response organizations respond to the same large-scale disaster. (Think Hurricane Katrina or 9/11). My initial research identified three target areas where miscommunication were commonly expressed. One area is in the jargon used by each organization. The words used change from department to department and area to area, even within the same geographic region. Sometimes people use the same term to mean two different things. For example, "Man Down" has about four different meanings depending on where you're standing and who you are speaking to. One of my proposed solutions was to have more large-scale exercises where these organizations practice together to identify these overlaps and gaps in their jargon and work out a dialogue that allows them to communicate with less confusion.

Of course that kind of organizational involvement requires money, and my research had no financial backing... so that thread of my proposal died before lift-off.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 21 Sep 2015, 23:15

Go for it, Chrusher.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 22 Sep 2015, 08:34

Anthropomorphisation: Does applying human characteristics to animals, inanimate objects and concepts such as 'the weather' and 'luck' provide evolutionary advantages, or is it merely a byproduct of our development of social empathy and predator paranoia?

Rather too broad a topic to do in a single paper really, but hey.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 23 Sep 2015, 05:11

What is the mental/emotional impact of being forced to eat out everyday for the university school year versus being able to cook for yourself?

This interests me as the university I work at makes meal cards a requirement for all students in residence and there are a number of students I have seen at my station multiple times per day (my station is kind of like a subway but healthier).
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 24 Sep 2015, 14:57

By studying their near-infrared light, my previous work has shown that globular clusters - dense, spherical collections of hundreds of thousands stars which all formed in the same event - in different galaxies have different chemistries despite having the same colours. To confirm this result and to learn why globular clusters with the same colours have different chemical makeups, I am proposing to use the Very Large Telescope in Chile for three nights to observe the blue light of globular clusters around three galaxies that I have previously studied. Besides remeasuring the relative amounts of magnesium, calcium and iron, the new observations will allow me to measure the ages of the globular clusters and the abundances of carbon and nitrogen in them, measurements that I was not previously able to make.

Thinking up an interesting question is the easy part. Figuring out how you will answer that question and convince people to give you the resources to do so is the hard part.
KidSpanner
First Video: Installation Anxiety (2010)

Postby KidSpanner » 24 Sep 2015, 17:47

Listen, the hard/soft science divide is real and we all know it. Geology is the hardest science on Earth and physics is the softest. You can't even touch those strings. Biology is somewhere in the middle, I think? Anyway... *leaves*
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 25 Sep 2015, 02:06

Actually, by your rationale, Mathematics would be the 'softest' - who here has ever touched i? ;)

Proposal: determine the psychological and 'ergonomic' differences in a person that actively takes themselves to work in their commute (drives, cycles, walks - means where the person conveyed requires conscious attention to do the propelling) versus that same person passively being conveyed (passenger in mass transit, car pool, rickshaw, whatever).

Hypothesis - someone driving an hour or more from home to work (and later, back) makes that person less efficient, less energetic, more prone to minor illnesses, etc. than someone who 'rides' to/from work.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 25 Sep 2015, 12:20

There was a man recently who had his son play the old game systems chronologically and he said he found that his son was performed a lot better when he moved onto new systems.
I'd like to see if playing through gamin history instead of starting off on new systems gives a person better playing ability.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 25 Sep 2015, 14:23

KidSpanner wrote:Listen, the hard/soft science divide is real and we all know it. Geology is the hardest science on Earth and physics is the softest. You can't even touch those strings. Biology is somewhere in the middle, I think? Anyway... *leaves*

Meh, geology is just applied physics/applied chemistry.

Mind you, what I do is just applied physics.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 25 Sep 2015, 15:57

I'd be interested to see how the people involved with production of high-tech equipment has evolved over time and if the output of new developments per person is increasing or decreasing.

The amount of people involved with developing and building certain high tech products nowadays boggles the mind. There are tens of thousands involved in just developing the next technology for making computer chips. Not the chips themselves, just the tech to MAKE those chips. Tens of thousands then work on the chips themselves. Probably millions develop new products to USE those chips.
Has the workforce really shifted that much into high-tech products?
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 26 Sep 2015, 02:40

Heck, I have been away from the internet for some time - got some catching up to do on these.

For now, research project: How objective can research actually be? Every moment, unfathomable amounts of information are influencing the slightest nuances in a myriad of feelings & opinions, pulling biases in every direction. How much does this influence us subconsciously, and how much of it can we tune out. And what are the further implications with regards to our interacting with other people. I know this kind of thing isn't going to enlighten or benefit the human race in any way, but honestly this sort of introspection is really interesting to me.
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 26 Sep 2015, 06:30

Understanding how biases subconscious or otherwise affects research is quite important. Any form of research involves endless choices each of which potentionally allow you to nudge the results in the direction you want.
I X
First Video: Crime And Punishment. I think.

Postby I X » 27 Sep 2015, 13:16

I'd like to see what the effect of participating in tabletop role-playing (of any sort, really, but let's say D&D) is on people's creativity, in particular their feelings about their own creativity. I observed in my own friend group people who had never wanted to play D&D get super into it over a fairly short time, going so far as to invent backstories and actually roleplay non-essential interactions with other characters. I thought that was really cool and I wonder if the effect would be the same for others. I have one or two people in my sights right now as it happens...
Often outnumbered, never outpunned.

Note: in Ireland 'ye' is used as the plural of 'you'. It rather neatly avoids confusion online.

"Your accent is...ubiquitous."
-Graham Stark
Valkyrie-Lemons

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 28 Sep 2015, 07:10

So what my topic was going to study (see above) was to ask if Western culture had reached a point that it is used by other cultures with little historical connection to the subject matter (i.e. Western historical icons like Norse Mythology being used in JRPGs). To see if there is a connection or if we in the West only see these games in North American/EU/Australian-New Zeeland markets because of the use of Western culture and if in reality JRPGs in Japan focus far more on 'Asian' culture.

The conclusion we can draw from this is if we have any assumptions about the use of culture and why.

Do you need more detail?

[EDITED]
Last edited by Valkyrie-Lemons on 28 Sep 2015, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 28 Sep 2015, 11:56

I think it needs an edit - you make a couple typos so it is hard to follow what you propose.
Valkyrie-Lemons

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 28 Sep 2015, 14:57

Lord Chrusher wrote:I think it needs an edit - you make a couple typos so it is hard to follow what you propose.

Ohh Whoops!

I typed that on my phone; which has a tiny screen for browsing the web. So I couldn't see half of what I had written! XD

Return to “General Discussion”