New Quest Available!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Re: New Quest Available!

Postby fantôme » 15 Jul 2015, 11:48

I get the feeling that tomato plants might just be the thirstiest thing in the universe.

Liquid intake -
Bottled water: none.
Soda: approx. 3-4 Irn Brus per year.
Bottled ale/beer: 4-5 per week.
Whiskey: too much.
Vending machine coffee: 2-3 per day.

I'd never considered the impact of transporting all this, I'll have to find out where it all comes from.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 15 Jul 2015, 13:25

We always recycle our trash, so we divide it by burnable/general trash, compost, plastic, paper-packaging, metal, newspapers, clear glass, coloured glass, soda bottles/cans etc.

Whenever I go out it can be a toss-up between if I take a bottle from the house and fill it with water/ice tea or some such, or if I pick something up on the way. Though I don't even always pick up that, but what I always do is pop by a cafe and get coffee on the go(thus in a paper cup).
Hurp-De-Durp!
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 17 Jul 2015, 09:27

I am pretty good about my electricity usage although I leave my laptop and phone chargers plugged in when they are not in use and I sometimes leave a desk lamp on when I am not around. We don't have air conditioning and in winter I would leave the thermostat at about 18.

We have pretty good recycling here including curbside compost collection. The only bottled beverage I consume is beer and glass beer bottles are easily recycled. I am a pescatarian but only eat fish or seafood about once a week.

I bus or walk everywhere. I should probably bicycle more but I perspire easily.

My gravest sin is likely taking overly long showers both due the electricity to heat the water and water usage. We have had quite a dry year here on the west coast.

My carbon footprint will shoot up when I move to England to start my new job as I will be flying much more often.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 17 Jul 2015, 12:02

Recycling: I am really bad at it. More like I don't unless it is easy to do. If I have a lot of boxes and paper going out, I will recycle it, but more often I don't.
Drinks: I drink mostly pop and juices. So that's not good either.
I gotta say, the most environmentally friendly thing I do is take transit to work everyday.
And I am the only one in my house that turns off the lights during the day. I like natural light way more. And the bathroom light attracts the little one.
I really should recycle more than I do. Perhaps the kids and I can work on it together.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 18 Jul 2015, 00:09

Oh yeah so my footprint is pretty terrible; most of it to do with my job.

As an admin assistant I have to do a lot of printing, often in full colour, in an office that has to use computers that are on from 9am until 5pm. With printers that are built more for efficiency then eco-saving.

In terms of my personal life it's not so bad. I mean I eat a lot of bread (although I also have quiet a bit of dairy which isn't so good), I make sure to fill the dishwasher to full (as dishwashing is actually more eco-friendly then doing it in the sink), recycling is very good (mainly because our council doesn't require a pre-sort on our end). However electrcity usage...I use a lot; although I do turn it all off when I'm at work or a sleep.

So yeah, I try to be good; but living in a Western Nation makes it very difficult to do so. So many things that are carbon heavy.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 19 Jul 2015, 13:28

Footprint: Medium - I cycle to work, I don't use heating in my room even during winter), but when I get home I am on my laptop and/or 360/Xone at the same time for most of the night.
Recycle tins, plastic, glass and paper.
Meat, I had meat five times this week, a little higher than normal.
I have a large Jurassic World collectors cup that I drink water out of. I hit my 8 glasses a day. I am on at least 1-2 cans of coca~cola a day (330ml-660ml) (that's down from a litre a day). Slowly getting rid of it. Was clear earlier this year but something happened that made me return to the bottle.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 19 Jul 2015, 13:40

Meat intake: I have occasionally gone vegetarian accidentally for about a week, just by forgetting to buy meat or fish, though I generally sort of live as a lackadaisical pescetarian. I really like the word lackadaisical

I generally buy eggs, cheese or fish when I think to myself that I should buy and eat some sort of good protein. Preference: Fish>chicken/turkey>red meat I prefer chicken's flavour, but I prefer turkey's price, so they come out even
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
betsytheripper
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

Postby betsytheripper » 19 Jul 2015, 19:56

Thinking about my overall footprint, I'd say on average I'm better now than I used to be.

Food: I'm pretty broke, and when you're broke you can't afford meat, so I bought a max pack of chicken breasts and froze 3/4 of them so that they can last me at least a month. I went to the store two weeks ago and just thawed the next 1/4 pack bag. I try to buy things in bulk, or minimal packaging, and less processed foods means less waste overall.

Transit: This one is going to be easy for a while, since my car died while returning home from a trip to see my mom and sister. When I'm in town, I try not to use my car anyway, I bike, walk, or take the bus if necessary.

Electricity: I don't leave extraneous lights on, and I try to use the AC as little as possible. Right now the desktop is on almost all day, but the laptop is kind of permanently off for now. I wait to do laundry until the load is almost too much. All my lightbulbs are CFLs.

Water: If I'm not washing my hair, I shower in under five minutes. Washing my hair takes 10-15 minutes, but I often turn off the water while actually soaping or conditioning, and I only wash my hair every other day. I do my dishes by hand, but that's because my dishwasher is crap and I have to preclean them anyway, so I skip the dishwasher step. I've also been taking rather cool showers, because it's been so hot, so I'm not wasting water waiting for it to heat up.

On top of the previously mentioned recycling, I also almost exclusively use LUSH bath products now, so I feel good about that, whatever little difference it makes.
-betsy
I X
First Video: Crime And Punishment. I think.

Postby I X » 20 Jul 2015, 06:30

Environment stuff:
Trying to spend as little time as practical in my electric shower. New apartment has no recycling facilities at all(!) but new workplace has a bunch so making a conscious effort to recycle properly there at least. Continuing to walk to work which is a) great to get to know a new city and b) good exercise and even c) feels slightly better than using a bus/LUAS.

Speaking of which can I reactivate the explore your town quest? I have explored quite a bit of my route to work and the environs, finding many new places that I want to revisit, including a nice café right near my apartment.
Often outnumbered, never outpunned.

Note: in Ireland 'ye' is used as the plural of 'you'. It rather neatly avoids confusion online.

"Your accent is...ubiquitous."
-Graham Stark
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 20 Jul 2015, 06:37

You certainly can!
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

KidSpanner
First Video: Installation Anxiety (2010)

Postby KidSpanner » 20 Jul 2015, 08:31

Things I have noted: I tend to turn off lights when I leave rooms, drink too much bottled stuff, take fairly short showers, and I drive an amount, but mostly just from home to work to home-away-from-etc to regular home again. In conclusion, I am slowly killing the planet.
Tinasaur
First Video: Forget About It

Postby Tinasaur » 20 Jul 2015, 08:45

Some things I'm doing right: I always make sure I turn off the lights when I leave a room and I'm generally good at conserving electricity. I don't drink any bottled water and I rarely have soda nowadays (mainly for health and economic reasons but it's good on all accounts). I don't even own a car so I always travel by bus and train.

Things I could improve on: Buying ecological groceries. I've wanted to in principle but I've had a tight budget for years and the ecofriendly alternatives can be rather expensive. Having a bit more funds to work with nowadays I want to make an effort. I also tend to take very long showers and keep the water running when I do the dishes so I could be more aware of it and turn the tap off inbetween.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 20 Jul 2015, 09:00

QUEST #27 IS NOW CLOSED

Quest #28

Go find a park, cemetery, stretch of grass, bench, etc. and read there for a bit. I'd recommend an hour or two, but I know it can be hard to find that kind of time. If you strenuously object to reading for some reason, I will accept people-watching or nature watching. Just find a pretty, quiet spot outdoors and spend a little time there this week.

Quest starts at 10 AM Pacific Time on Monday, July 20, 2015, and ends at 9:59 AM Pacific Time on Monday, July 27, 2015.

Good Luck!
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

MinniChi

Postby MinniChi » 20 Jul 2015, 15:36

I got this quest in the bag! I'm going to go to a golf course tomorrow and read for 5 hours. Give or take a hour or two. Assuming I can find my Kobo, Or a book I haven't read 15 times around this apartment.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 20 Jul 2015, 15:53

Welp, I've been re-reading a book I like, and we're planning a picnic the next nice day...I might be able to get this...
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 23 Jul 2015, 05:57

So I went to the waste centre today to get rid of (surprise surprise) some waste and decided to take a detour on the way home to a place called Abingdon (Disputably the UK's oldest settlement) and had a nice sit by the Thames River watching the swans, geese, ducks, and riverboats go by. Spend around an hour sitting there (Abingdon has the great boon of free parking for up to 2 hours) before heading home.

So I guess I cheated slightly by either not reading a book or technically sitting in a park; but I feel this counts. : 3

I do have photos of where I sat, which I may upload later if I remember.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 23 Jul 2015, 08:50

I'm off to a pretty little market town in Wiltshire re-enacting this weekend. I plan on taking a book and chilling in the plastics for a good chunk of Friday evening :)
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 24 Jul 2015, 14:27

Yesterday evening I headed down to the beach and read a few chapters of Doctor Thorne by Anthony Trollope.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 25 Jul 2015, 00:04

I've never understood the appeal of reading in the park - combining two fundamentally different thoroughly engrossing and wonderful things is only going to lead to one distracting from the other. But okay, I've got a morning to kill, there's a comfy spot under a willow tree nearby and James Herbert's Fluke seems easily palatable.
MinniChi

Postby MinniChi » 25 Jul 2015, 06:45

I was right! I spent about 3 hours each in Tuesday and Wednesday reading at the halfway point of the golf course (called Oasis), Thursday I didn't get any reading in, and yesterday I got another 3 hours in. The book I found is a compilation of the first three books in the Magic of Xanth series by Piers Anthony.

And as always happens, I couldn't find my kobo, so I grab an old book. Once I got into the story, I found my Kobo. :roll:
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 25 Jul 2015, 08:09

Yeah, that reminds me that I need to grab the latest few Xanth books. I've got the whole series up to Knot Gneiss.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 25 Jul 2015, 10:13

I didn't expect to be able to do this after all - the weather's been very cold and damp and going to stay the same until Monday...

...but the wife was starting to get cabin fever, so we set off after lunch with the idea of stopping into a corner store, then exploring the area around the suburb.

Thus we found a great view of the city from Spruce Meadows Park (we'll likely go back with a picnic lunch {and camera} when the weather's not threatening to rain), and took a breather - I reread a chapter-and-a-bit of Ready Player One from a bench near the tennis and baskeball courts as my joints recovered from the climb, while zyxst worked out harder than she planned on a swing. :)
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 25 Jul 2015, 11:57

Looking after my father's border collie. I have been keeping her company sitting next to her reading Batman Knightfall Volume 1.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
betsytheripper
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

Postby betsytheripper » 26 Jul 2015, 15:12

Intended to finish the library book I currently have (Trigger Warning) so that I could pick up the book I have on hold guilt-free. Settled into a nice shady spot under a tree in the park right next to the library. Within ten minutes, my legs itched, it was no longer shady, and I realized that everyone else in the park were vagrants. I moved to a shady bench near the park/library, and read for a good couple hours. Also got intensely distracted by seeing a woodpecker do it's thing in real life. Still have 80 pages left in the book, but I picked up my hold anyway.
-betsy
KidSpanner
First Video: Installation Anxiety (2010)

Postby KidSpanner » 26 Jul 2015, 20:10

I went to a park. I sat under a tree. The sun was shining. The wind was at my back. I read a book. That is all.

Return to “General Discussion”