Questions about PAX Prime 2015

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Kikazi
First Video: Unskippable

Questions about PAX Prime 2015

Postby Kikazi » 01 Mar 2015, 20:46

I've never been to any PAX, but now that I'm a 4 hour drive away from Seattle (just moved to the Tri-Cities area), I'd really like to go to PAX Prime. Problem is, I know next to nothing about it other than "good luck getting tickets, they sell out in seconds." So I have some questions for anyone willing to answer them.

1. Any tips for actually getting PAX Prime tickets? The website hasn't updated from 2014 yet, last I checked.
2. Does the event occur the same weekend every year, or does anyone know what dates this year's event will occur?
3. Anybody looking for a roommate?
4. Any other suggestions?

Thanks all.
Scientists discover, Mathematicians describe, Engineers design, and Together we develop
Kikazi

Re: Questions about PAX Prime 2015

Postby Kikazi » 04 Mar 2015, 20:31

...uh...er...um......bump?
Scientists discover, Mathematicians describe, Engineers design, and Together we develop
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 04 Mar 2015, 21:00

OK first, Pax Prime tickets GENERALLY go on sale Wednesdays between 9 and 11 AM PST.

The event is going to be August 28th - 31st

If you are desperate scalping is legal in Washington and there will be people selling tickets by the front door, Robert Khoo and other PA empoyees are generally out checking if the tickets are real thursday afternoon and friday morning.

You can also join the PA forums people will often put tickets up for offer there and they are not allowed to offer them for anything other than face value.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 04 Mar 2015, 21:32

It's also not uncommon for people here to end up with extras, and offer them for sale at face value. That said, it's a pretty small forum, so you definitely don't want to count on that if at all possible.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
DuelLadyS

Postby DuelLadyS » 06 Mar 2015, 08:47

1) PAX Prime tickets don't go on sale until after PAX East (which is this weekend, so not much longer!) Wednesday morning is most common, but there is no set day or time- it helps prevent scalping.

Your best bet is to get twitter notifications from @official_PAX and @Rkhoo pushed to your phone, and never be away from a net-connected device during the possible sales window. If you have any especially trustworthy friends, you can give them your CC info so they can help you 'camp'. Assume you are buying 4 1-day passes instead of a weekend one. The odds of your getting a weekend pass are astronomical, so plan around it from the get-go.

Also- you CANNOT buy tickets in the PAX forum! Unfortunately, this practice was stopped a few years back due to abuse. There is, however, a 'second-chance' sale that started 2 years ago. All tickets reclaimed from scalpers are re-released about a week or so after the official sale. There's no real timetable for it, and they're gone ridiculously fast. After that you're at the mercy of the secondhand market.

2)PAX Prime is over Labor Day weekend, with an exception every 7 years due to another group claiming the convention center. Even if the main site isn't updated, the dates are usually posted in the forum. This year it's August 28-31.

3)Maybe... it sounds like most of my usual group may not be attending this year, leaving me with space for 2- BUT, my fiancé is EXCEPTIONALLY adverse to inviting people he's never met (concerned about theft/flaking/etc.) I'll talk to him again, I'm hoping I can calm his fears before ticket sales.

4)Get a hotel map- many of the places that book for PAX are a bit out of the way, knowing how far you'll be walking is very handy. The top 4 are the Sheraton, Hyatt, Roosevelt, and Paramount- these are within about a block. The Motif and the Olive are reasonably close and tend to hold some content. Homewood suites is prized for bigger rooms (more people= less cost per person) and mini kitchens (less food cost if you can cook). The Green Tortise Hostel by Pike Place is the cheapest option, but it is a hostel, so be prepared for that.
Kikazi

Postby Kikazi » 06 Mar 2015, 23:06

Lord Hosk, Jamfalcon and DuelLadyS, thank you all for answering! It looks like this might be difficult. I have work that keeps me tied up weekday mornings, and it's going to really suck taking a vacation day on the POSSIBILITY that they might put the tickets up for sale Wednesday. I might do it anyway though.

Just to make sure I understand, the tickets typically go on sale the week after PAX East?

4 1-day passes? Dually noted.
I'll consider the scalping option if I have to, but yuck!

August 28-31, got it!

DuelLadyS, I don't blame your fiance one bit, inviting a complete stranger over the internet to basically live with you for a few days is risky business. It doesn't help that I'm brand new to the LRR forums. No hard feelings here.

Hotel map, pretty good idea. I'd like to avoid a hostel if I can, but hey, beggars can't be choosers if it comes to that.

Here's hoping for the best, but to be honest, I'm not going to hold my breath on it. I don't have that kind of luck. :roll:

Thanks again all! :mrgreen:
DuelLadyS

Postby DuelLadyS » 08 Mar 2015, 07:11

Kikazi wrote:Just to make sure I understand, the tickets typically go on sale the week after PAX East?

Not nessecarily- it's not very set in any specific day/week- that's on purpose to mess with scalpers. But they never go on sale before PAX East, so you at least have an idea of when to start looking.

If you have understanding bosses, you might tell them that you're ticket camping for PAX and see if they'll let you take time to buy if you get the twitter notice. Otherwise, I highly recommend enlisting a friend with open weekday mornings for help.

If you do opt to scalp, the two best times are immediately after tickets sell out, when the markets are flooded, and the day-of PAX. I'm more inclined toward day-of, since you can take advantage of on-site enforcers to verify your badge before paying. It might be worthwhile to plan some alternate activities in case you can't get a badge and come up anyway. There's a whole 'Shadow Pax' thing popping up these days of people setting up stuff for those who couldn't get in.
Kikazi

Postby Kikazi » 10 Mar 2015, 15:56

If I can't get tickets in advance and decide to scalp, I agree with you about trying day-of, because I'd like to make sure the tickets are legit. Especially when paying those incredible prices. Hopefully I can get in the regular way, though.

Return to “General Discussion”