Employment Wrath.

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Vicky

Employment Wrath.

Postby Vicky » 19 Oct 2006, 09:07

Recently I quit my job at Safeway and found a new job at Denny's. At a distance, it truly sounds like I quit hell only to find myself in a deeper level of it, but it's remarkable how significantly more money one makes when relying on tips.

And then I started to think of all those people who rely on tips, but I never have tipped.

like hairdressers. and foreign taxi cab drivers. the chick that does my friend's manicures. massage therapists. therapists!

Any sort of "personal service" in our society usually requires a customary tip. I wonder why.

Oh well. I like it. Money is good. Although I have to deal with screaming babies a lot.

The pros and cons of your job. GO.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 19 Oct 2006, 09:08

Pros: Not having to work except once a week for about an hour. Getting 15 bucks (5 for food)
Cons: Only getting 15 bucks a week (5 for food)
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
The Hitman

Postby The Hitman » 19 Oct 2006, 09:17

Pros: Not working.
Cons: None... SUCKERS!

I quit my office job to go back to school, and could not be happier with the huge amounts of time I can now freely waste drinking, recording music, writing, and pretending I am level 60 warlock in the magical world of the internets.
"Just another Sunday paddleboat ride on a man-made lake with another lady stranger; if I remain lost and die on a cross, at least i wasn't born in a manger."
Brinson

Postby Brinson » 19 Oct 2006, 09:36

Pros: Busy all the time. Lots of responsibiliy. Some sense of accomplishment for doing a good job. Flexible hours. Vacation time.

Cons: Idiot clients. Idiot co-workers. Having to yell at people. Dealing with the same problems every day. Having to talk on the phone.
Morgan
LRR Crew

Postby Morgan » 19 Oct 2006, 10:53

pros: i just dick around on msn and surf the internets all day... and no one monitors what i say/look at. and i get visited fairly often. and everyone i work with is awesome. and i can pretty much show up and leave whenever i feel like it. and on sundays i get paid for 8 hours of work but only am here for 6. and i make decent money. and i have the best manager ever.

[edit] also, as soon as i'm back in school i'll pretty much be able to do all my homework while at work as well.

cons: none! suck my balls!
DontPanic

Postby DontPanic » 19 Oct 2006, 11:05

Pros: Work 20 min, get paid for 9 hours - flexible schedule, free cocoa, my boss is scared of me, giant building for me to get lost in, enough internet access to keep me busy
Cons: I sit in a cube, i work with programmers with zero social skills, no one reads my emails, i get asked the same question everyday, theres always some freak who has to comment on my outfit of the day, there are a bunch of old farty ladies who work here and think they own the place
Kwiksilva

Postby Kwiksilva » 19 Oct 2006, 11:41

Pros: Being my own boss, working as much or as little as I want, being able to leave to hang out with friends whenever I feel like it, The feeling of acomplishment I get after taking a project all the way from someones idea to an awesome finished product, getting to meet lots of succesfull people in all different industries.

Cons: No one else to blame if a mistake is made, Customers who don't pay up, customers who make unreasonable requests (and then don't pay up), well as Randall said "This job would be awesome if it wern't for all the customers."
Nutella is quite possibly the second coming of Christ in spreadable form. -Graham
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 19 Oct 2006, 11:45

pros: systematically eliminated by the company over the past 5 years.

cons: my job.

-m

I am not angry at you.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 19 Oct 2006, 11:46

Kwiksilva wrote:Pros: Being my own boss, working as much or as little as I want, being able to leave to hang out with friends whenever I feel like it, The feeling of acomplishment I get after taking a project all the way from someones idea to an awesome finished product, getting to meet lots of succesfull people in all different industries.

Cons: No one else to blame if a mistake is made, Customers who don't pay up, customers who make unreasonable requests (and then don't pay up), well as Randall said "This job would be awesome if it wern't for all the customers."

What's your job?
And couldn't you make them sign something? :S
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 19 Oct 2006, 11:52

Pros: Really cool job, different challenges every day, getting to talk to people, not being entry level, fantastic view from my downtown Vancouver building
Cons: Sometimes people are so dumb...
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Captain_Anarchy
FOOLED YOU!!!

Postby Captain_Anarchy » 19 Oct 2006, 11:53

Pros: Having all the free time in the world.

Cons: Being flat ass broke.

I really need to find a job. Anybody got any leads? I'll give you a cut of whatever I make*.

*not a guarantee
My hand to God. Baby geese. Goslings. They were juggled.
-Wash
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 19 Oct 2006, 12:43

so I just found out that I'm being issued a verbal warning by the district manager for "not signing off on the daily recieving log" even though I never work when recieving is being done.

the only time I ever accept boxes in the computer is when someone else has been recieving the boxes, and they ask me to finalize it while they put the product away. at this point I always ask them to confirm that everything on the list was in the box, and to verify any discrepancies. basically the only role I play in this process, which happens *maybe* twice a month is the rough equivalent of highlighting the carton and hitting enter.

and I'm being warned for failing to do recieving properly... even though I DIDN'T ACTUALLY DO THE RECIEVING.

FUCK I hate my job.

-m

and admittedly, ash is worse off than I am at the moment, but I'll let her rant about her own troubles.

I am not angry at you.
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 19 Oct 2006, 12:52

Matt seriously. quit your job! NOW!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 19 Oct 2006, 12:59

James wrote:Matt seriously. steal me one of everything and quit your job! NOW!
Kwiksilva

Postby Kwiksilva » 19 Oct 2006, 13:11

JesterJ. wrote:
Kwiksilva wrote:Pros: Being my own boss, working as much or as little as I want, being able to leave to hang out with friends whenever I feel like it, The feeling of acomplishment I get after taking a project all the way from someones idea to an awesome finished product, getting to meet lots of succesfull people in all different industries.

What's your job?
And couldn't you make them sign something? :S

I'm a foil printer/graphic designer and the solution is getting a down payment.
Nutella is quite possibly the second coming of Christ in spreadable form. -Graham
Dana

Postby Dana » 19 Oct 2006, 13:26

Job 1:
Pros: Making fat stacks of cash doing something I love, having a stoner boss who is my friend, awesome job title, getting material for my portfolio, and working two Saturdays a month.
Cons: I have to talk to filthy humans.

Job 2:
Pros: Making fat stacks of cash for doing the same things that were homework assignments at University, flexible hours, work with awesome people, have a GIANT cubicle, vacation time, medical, chatting on MSN all day, lots of free time while waiting for remote applications to register what i just clicked, getting Zen training, and the person doing my six-month performance review will know nothing about me, and getting paid to go to class.
Cons: None, bitches.
"I swear it," said the other mother. "I swear it on my own mother's grave."

"Does she have a grave?" asked Coraline.

"Oh yes," said the other mother. "I put her in there myself. And when I found her trying to crawl out, I put her back."
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 19 Oct 2006, 13:45

Pros: I decide weather or not i want to work at half day or not. Make fat stacks of cash (which while on the subject, what constitutes fat stacks of cash? For me i make enough money to pay rent buy food and still have enough not to worry about money that often) Very laid back work place however it can get pretty crazy sometimes which is a good thing in my opinion. Can talk on MSN and surf the net while i work. My dad is my boss.

Cons: My dad is my boss (i realize its under pros but it is also a con as well) I work with people who are all old enough to be my parents (In fact i am the youngest person at my place of work by 25 years to the second youngest)
Brinson

Postby Brinson » 19 Oct 2006, 13:49

James wrote:Matt seriously. steal me one of everything and quit your job! NOW! Oh, oh oh! And! Shit on something. Preferably something valuable.
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 19 Oct 2006, 14:03

Brinson wrote:
James wrote:Matt seriously. steal me one of everything and quit your job! NOW! Oh, oh oh! And! Shit on something. Preferably something valuable.

So hold out one more month and when the PS3 come in take a dump in everyone of the boxes and drop a note in saying

"Thank you Sir and/or Madame for your purchase of a Playstation 3, with the official launch we thought fit to put the PS3 into perspective"
PS3 is DOGSHIT!

I guess your only worry would be to make it look like your poop looks like doggy poop.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 19 Oct 2006, 14:06

Or just follow a dog around till it shits and be like "Hey uh...Can I get that...Yeah thanks."
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 19 Oct 2006, 14:21

Pros: I get to have a good time everyday.
Cons: Its illegal.
i dont know what's happening anymore
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 19 Oct 2006, 14:51

Lavos wrote:Pros: I get to have a good time everyday.

Yeah... you heroin smugglers get all the beatings.
"It's nice to think that before "Adam and Eve", there was "Earl Grey""
Ridiculous Breakfast

Postby Ridiculous Breakfast » 19 Oct 2006, 17:13

Pro's: It's fun and rewarding. I can even be like: 'You see that house there? I built that" Not to mention it's great money and benefits. -Glee-
Con's: I only get 3 hours of free time a day.
expoduck

Postby expoduck » 19 Oct 2006, 21:41

Pros: My co-workers are all really great people, my team leader is pure eye candy, everyone I know at work is in one band or more and therefore awesome, my job requires so little of my full attention that I knitted a Season 12 Doctor Who scarf (full length) while "working", we have billiard and fooz ball tables in the lunch room...

Cons: The actual job makes me want to kill people. A LOT of people. Kill them with an axe.
You can't find the Start button when I've told you exactly where on the screen it is, what colour it is, and spelled the word S-T-A-R-T for you?
AXE TO THE HEAD.

But I guess that's why they call it Hell Desk. :)
-Geoff-

Postby -Geoff- » 19 Oct 2006, 21:48

Lavos wrote:Pros: I get to have a good time everyday.

Someone sells weed.

Mine...

Pros: Great customers for the most part, very flexible hours, nice boss, relaxed. Lots of responsibility. (Opening and closing. Running the store on my own.)

Cons: Not many hours. (But I couldn't have many more without making keeping up with university a lot harder.) Minimum wage ($8/h). (So far, fingers crossed I get a raise sometime soon.) Lonely sometimes. (Most of the time I am working alone.)

Return to “General Discussion”