Cards Against Desert Bus!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
OccamsRazor
First Video: That was a very, very long time ago...

Cards Against Desert Bus!

Postby OccamsRazor » 27 May 2015, 10:15

Hey all!

So, as we all know, Desert Bus 9 is coming up in....many months, but I'm in the process of developing a prize for DB9. What I hope to accomplish is to create a custom, Desert Bus/LRR themed version of Cards Against Humanity!

The huge backlog of jokes, references and memes lends itself extremely well to this format. Also, this could be an excellent reflection of the entire DB community. As such, I want to take submissions from community members for card ideas(and no, not just because I can't come up with that many cards by myself...)

Submitted cards will be included in the final set, along with your Desert Bus username, to be immortalized for all eternity. To keep everything in one place, I've created a site with an easy form to submit your card ideas. You can find that here:

http://cardsagainstdesertbus.com/

So go on, let fly! Submit a few ideas!

Or, if you're feeling particularly lazy, you can also post them here(with your username), and I can sort it out later I suppose :P
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Re: Cards Against Desert Bus!

Postby JustAName » 27 May 2015, 10:19

Is there a way to see submissions so we don't submit duplicates?
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

OccamsRazor

Postby OccamsRazor » 27 May 2015, 10:24

Yeah, that's something I'm planning on doing soon, once there's a few more submissions in the pipeline(we've just started). So right now, you're pretty safe as far as duplicates go.

But ya, I'll get the current card list up there asap.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 27 May 2015, 12:23

Well, I went a bit overboard and submitted like 75. :D I hope some get used. Also, I think I found it easier to come up with white cards than black cards.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

OccamsRazor

Postby OccamsRazor » 27 May 2015, 12:33

You don't say! I've been watching my database steadily fill up with your submissions. It's been great! Seriously, I like overboard. Overboard is awesome.

Believe me, most of those will make it in. If someone submits some duplicates to yours, I might keep their submission though, just to spread the love a bit ;)

Thanks AdmiralMemo!
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 27 May 2015, 13:53

If you do put up the card list, also put up any rejected entries (for whatever reason) so people don't resubmit them later.

Also, after this gets printed and used at DB9, maybe a KickStarter or something to get it printed for other DB fans who might want a copy? :)

OccamsRazor

Postby OccamsRazor » 27 May 2015, 14:17

I think I've decided not to put the card list up just yet. The reason being that I'm almost alright with duplicates, since we have a couple members who have submitted a large number of cards(*cough* AdmiralMemo *cough*). So if we get some duplicates there, we might be able to spread the users involved around a bit.

Maybe I'll post the list when we're a little further on in the process, trying to fill out the remainder of the cards, but for now I just say keep the floodgates open! I'll remove duplicates manually as I go.

And hmm....that's an interesting concept. Ya, I'm sure other DB fans might be interested in this as well. I'll haven't put nearly enough thought into the long-term for this. An initial thought would be to keep it back and produce one or two every year for DB, but it would be nice to distribute it as well to those who want it.

This requires some pondering.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 27 May 2015, 17:54

I wasn't saying that you needed to do it soon. Just if and when you do it eventually, it'd be a good idea to also put up rejects. :)

Also, maybe you could do like FanGamer does: have people order sets, and the money that isn't used for actual costs goes to Child's Play. :)

Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 28 May 2015, 09:28

This is a brilliant idea; not only will this be amazing to use, it's really fun to think up cards. :D
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 28 May 2015, 11:55

One thing that I would like to note is that it's really important that when you go to make the final set of black/white cards that you edit them properly so that they work together. White cards should be nouns or noun phrases, which may include articles. Black cards need to be formatted appropriately, so for example, they should not include "A" or "The" before the blank (the example the webpage lists has this problem: the card should be "Sir. SIR. This is _______." without the "a", because otherwise you couldn't use a card like "The Duck Onesie" without it being "A the duck onesie." Which isn't great.
OccamsRazor

Postby OccamsRazor » 28 May 2015, 12:19

I'm glad people are getting in to this! Seeing submissions come in has been great.

And AlexanderDitto, ya, I'm definitely going to be on top of that. I know that will end up being an issue, so I'll likely be tweaking many submissions to make sure everything fits properly. The card on the front page was just kind of an oversight on my part, it's actually in the database with the proper format :P
BlueChloroplast
First Video: something on the escapist

Postby BlueChloroplast » 29 May 2015, 20:08

I have submitted some too!
Spartan_N30
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby Spartan_N30 » 29 May 2015, 22:14

I submitted a few but im not sure how good they will be in the grand scheme of things....
When all else fails.... use duck tape

EDH deck: Prosh, Skyraider of kher
BlueChloroplast
First Video: something on the escapist

Postby BlueChloroplast » 30 May 2015, 07:37

Should we tweet this to @DesertBus?
OccamsRazor

Postby OccamsRazor » 30 May 2015, 07:44

@Spartan_N30 - Don't worry! Yours have been good! Honestly, I can pretty much guarantee that anyone who submits will end up with something in the final set.

And ya, I think I'm going to get in touch with some people and try and get this tweeted out early this week, so look out for that. And if you're in touch with anyone else of the DB community that you think would like to contribute, try and spread the word!
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 31 May 2015, 18:08

I think it would be good to see the list of previous entries... seeing others black cards would spur more white cards, etc.
OccamsRazor

Postby OccamsRazor » 01 Jun 2015, 06:37

You know what, you're probably right.

I'm still not opposed to duplicates, as it would be nice to see as many users involved in this as possible, but I can see that coming up with ideas in a vacuum might be difficult. So I've tried to find a compromise.

Basically, on the submission form, there will be a small sample of black and white cards from those that have been submitted already. So you can see some, but not all of them at once, hopefully it will stir some ideas. Technically, yes, you can keep refreshing the page until you've seen them all...so it's not perfect, but it will do I think.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 01 Jun 2015, 13:11

This is pretty awesome. It did spark some ideas in me. Opened me up to remembering references I'd forgotten.

However, it also showed me a number of black cards that should've been white cards, and some poorly-formatted cards in general. (You're not supposed to use verbs as white cards or make the verb the blank in the black card, people!) I assume there's going to be some serious editing going on before this is produced.

OccamsRazor

Postby OccamsRazor » 01 Jun 2015, 19:28

Good, I'm glad it's working!

And ya, don't worry at all about the formatting. Once this all shakes out, I'm going to go through a serious editing process where I make sure everything is categorized right, formatted properly, and tweak and reword some submissions when necessary. I'm not afraid of a little(read: a lot) of work!
Boofinka
First Video: Paper Boy

Postby Boofinka » 06 Jun 2015, 05:42

This is a really awesome idea; submitted a few of my own.
OccamsRazor

Postby OccamsRazor » 08 Jun 2015, 08:16

I just need to say, you guys have been ridiculously awesome so far. From just the involvement from the LRR forums alone, we have over 500 submissions so far! I'm blown away by how well it's going.

Keep it up! We'll need lots more by the end of this, the more the better!
OccamsRazor

Postby OccamsRazor » 29 Jun 2015, 08:14

Hey Guys!

So, submissions for cards will be closing this Saturday(July 4th), to give me enough time to organize and edit the card this, and get this produced. So if you still wanted to submit a few cards, do it soon!

White cards are definitely in demand right now, so if you had any interesting ideas for those, I'd love to see them!
OccamsRazor

Postby OccamsRazor » 13 Nov 2015, 10:06

Hey everyone! With Desert Bus only one day away, I wanted to give a bit of an update.

So Cards Against Desert Bus is complete and is set to be given away sometime during the run of Desert Bus next week. I'm extremely excited to see someone get their hands on it!

In addition to that, submissions are now open again for card ideas. My goal is to continually evolve and improve CADB as years go on, to include more ideas, and new jokes or references that are sure to come from DB9 and beyond.

Further still, Cards Against Desert Bus is also available in a print-and-play version. So if you want to play it yourself, or just want to take a look at cards we included, then it's all available! All I request is that if you want to print if off for your own use, that you make a $5 donation to Child's Play for this purpose.

Both the submission of new cards and the print-and-play version are both available at www.cardsagainstdesertbus.com

And once again, thank you for all the support in making this happen. I received over 1600 submissions from the DB community, which was just....wild and unbelievable. I hope you enjoy what's come out of it.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 13 Nov 2015, 11:10

I'd recommend updating the Black Card submission guidelines to specify that the space in the black cards must be filled in with a noun. I've seen way too many entries for verbs like "This year, Matt will be ___ instead of seeing Twilight."

OccamsRazor

Postby OccamsRazor » 13 Nov 2015, 11:26

I do see your point with that. A lot of these issues I can catch when I edit things, but I get what you mean. Though the base CAH set does involve white cards that are verbs over nouns, though they are less common.

I think the idea will be to make the black cards more general, so at least any noun will make sense if placed there, rather than just verbs.

Return to “General Discussion”