Arclight_Dynamo's Anime Frustration

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
MetricFurlong
First Video: Phone Manner

Re: Arclight_Dynamo's Anime Frustration

Postby MetricFurlong » 25 Aug 2015, 12:34

Jin-Roh is great, always been a shame it's never gotten much attention.

Granted, the Kerberos Saga* isn't terribly well-known in general, so that may have a fair bit to do with it.

*Mamoru Oshii's series of alternate history Manga, radio plays and films, of which Jin-Roh is a stand-alone part.
Note that while Jin-Roh was written by Oshii, it was directed by Hiroyuki Okiura, who had previously worked under Oshii on the Ghost in the Shell film.

I'm perfectly happy watching things with subtitles. They don't bother me in the least. So... apart from rare exceptions where the tenor of the show is entirely changed by dubs (for example, as I understand it, Samurai Pizza Cats was entirely chopped up and changed to be comedic when it was dubbed), is there any reason why I might want to watch a dub over a sub, when the choice is available to me?

There is not.
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 25 Aug 2015, 12:41

If you don't mind reading subtitles, then the only reason to specifically choose a dub would be if you are watching an anime with a lot of cultural nuance in it. Sometimes, when these get dubbed, they alter the speech a little to provide a little more context for an international audience.

As a simple example, in Spirited Away, there is a plot point that has to do with the characters in people's names. In English this doesn't make as much sense, since cutting off one syllable doesn't change the whole meaning of the name in the same way. In the dub, they tried to make this make more sense for an English speaking audience (more for kids who might be confused).

It's a pretty minor thing though, and I find I can usually figure out whatever I've missed. I'll almost always watch with subs unless the dub is showing in theatres or something.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
Arclight_Dynamo
First Video: Desert Bus 1

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 25 Aug 2015, 13:29

Ah! So subs tend to be more literal in their translations, while dubs tend to make allowances for English idiom/cultural references? Well, that makes sense, then, thanks.

In that case, I think I'll stick with subtitles, generally; if I think I'm missing something, I can always Google it.
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 25 Aug 2015, 13:59

Ya, it depends a lot on who is doing to subbing/dubbing too. Some subs do a really good job of adding context as well.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
FITorion
First Video: One of the Check Points about a year ago

Postby FITorion » 25 Aug 2015, 14:31

Mamoru Oshii has done most of my favorite anime movies. Namely Ghost in the Shell and Patlabor.

Though he does seem to like using high pitched archaic Japanese singing to set the mood... a bit like us using latin choirs... but high pitched. It can really grate on people. Doesn't bother me. I find it interesting that Japanese people would have trouble understanding the singing.
Moussefilledkitten
First Video: Checkpoint

Postby Moussefilledkitten » 26 Aug 2015, 17:09

It's all about personal preference. If I'm doing something else while watching anime then I'll use dubs because I don't want to have to always be watching the screen to follow along. Sometimes the dubs have very good voice acting so I like it more. Sometimes dubs have awful voice acting or no dub exists. I agree that subs tend to be a more literal translation whereas dubs sometimes have a more "natural" translation.

There are phrases or words in Japanese that don't tend to have direct translations into English and I find subs tend to do awkward long direct translations whereas dubs will do a more natural sounding translation that conveys the general meaning. However, that is just my experience and others may have different experience. Dubs can also have painfully bad voice acting and while the original Japanese voice acting might also be bad, not understanding the language makes it so I don't know that the voice acting is bad. What this all boils down to is just do what you like more.

As a side note - I have found in some badly done dubs/subs I can actually only understand what's going on in a scene if I have both the dub and sub going at the same time, as each only managed to convey a different portion of what was happening in the original scene. That is the rarity and won't happen in what people have recommended. They all have well done subs, I think.
LunarJade
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby LunarJade » 03 Sep 2015, 11:50

Arclight_Dynamo wrote:Ah! So subs tend to be more literal in their translations, while dubs tend to make allowances for English idiom/cultural references? Well, that makes sense, then, thanks.

In that case, I think I'll stick with subtitles, generally; if I think I'm missing something, I can always Google it.

Yes and no? It really depends on who is translating what.

Probably the bigger difference between subtitles and dubbing is that when something is dubbed they also have to match the lip flaps. So they have to not only convey what is being said by translating it into a different language but also make sure it works with the mouth movements on screen.

Translation itself is different. Subtitles done by a fansubber have a tendency to be more literal. A lot of fansubbers will put up cultural notes to explain it, however there are those that are so inside the anime community that they assume people watching already know these things.
For example a lot of them will assume that people understand a term like "Sempai" or "Kouhai".

Official dubs and subtitles might use words like that now because people have caught on. Though I do remember a lot of older days where if a dvd did use that if often came with a card inside explaining such terms.

I find how translation works to be really interesting so I could talk about it for ages but I'm gonna stop myself because there's so much more I could talk about on it and this isn't really the place.

Ultimately as long as you're fine with reading subtitles there shouldn't be an issue. The hardest to translate stuff that needs a lot of referencing is related more to puns and sight gags. And a lot of subs are pretty good about having cultural notes these days.

Other reasons to maybe enjoy dubs has to due with things like if the animation in the scene is very quick it can be easy to miss out on something if you're busy reading. Or if you want to sit back and not wear glasses.. that kind of thing.

Return to “General Discussion”