n00b essential viewing?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
RedHelveticaCake
First Video: Feed Dump 146
Location: Toronto, floating 4' off the ground, next to a sink

n00b essential viewing?

Postby RedHelveticaCake » 29 Jul 2015, 06:31

So LRR has been going for 11! years, and as a sentient being who has only just started seriously watching this series, that's a LOT of videos to get through. Is there as 'recommended viewing' or 'best of' list of videos for us n00bs to get caught up on any continuing storylines, running gags, or their greatest hits?
You can lead an idiot to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Re: n00b essential viewing?

Postby empath » 29 Jul 2015, 08:12

"SPRING!"

"The Couch"

one of my personal faves is "Installation Anxiety" from their 'early' days.

...and then there's "Toilet Humour"...

"Omni-Lingual"...

"Killer Instinct"...

"Cursing"...

"Columbus of the Internet" (oh, Cameron...)

"Doctors Hate Her"

'Dave's Spokesman' is a recurring character that started out in Rapidfire series 3, but 'branched out' into community events announcing ("What's Going On?") and is a bit of a fan fave...

Then there's 'Story Guy' from the old days...

...and then "Jonny" from later (who some argue is Story Guy's nephew or something ;) )...

We haven't heard much out of 'the conspiracy crew' lately (I wonder if we should be concerned? ;^) ) but they had a pretty popular few appearances...

Krog and Torg are going strong, with their rather wry analogous stone-age innovations...

If'n you want a continuing storyline, there's Commodore Hustle - their 'self-parody' roughly monthly series.
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 29 Jul 2015, 09:41

I suggest:
The Writers Room
Down With The Sickness
All The Little People
Wyy
The Worst Homosexual
Three PS3s
Along with any of the X Ways To Y videos that aren't "The Xth Way To Y" or "Ways To X2Y"(Those two are in-joke heavy).

Crapshots Volume 1 is fun, too(104 videos, each under 1 minute in length).
Last edited by Robo4900 on 29 Jul 2015, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 29 Jul 2015, 09:51

Everyone has their own personal favourites, and really you'll only learn what's up your streets by sampling it yourself. However, as a starting point, this video was recorded at the tail end of the livestream and includes a selection of 10 favourites from over the years (including the LoadingReadyRap, which has to be seen for it's sheer brilliance to be believed).

You might also be advised to watch through the Crapshots YouTube playlist of an evening, as they are still continuing so are where most of the 'runnning' jokes are located.

As for a few of my own favourites:

The Birds, The Bees and the Bears remains my single favourite sketch LRR have ever done.

Each of the seasons of Rapidfire make for fun viewing, and themselves reference a bunch of other sketches- they make a good branching out point.

And, of course, CommodoreHustle. I still go back and rewatch the original 11-episode series periodically, and they've been produced fairly regularly since that wrapped up in 2009. The new ones being released nowadays have their fair share of little in-jokes, so catching up on them would be a pretty good starting point.

Hope that helps!
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 29 Jul 2015, 09:58

My pseudonym is Ix wrote:And, of course, CommodoreHustle. I still go back and rewatch the original 11-episode series periodically, and they've been produced fairly regularly since that wrapped up in 2009. The new ones being released nowadays have their fair share of little in-jokes, so catching up on them would be a pretty good starting point.
Agreed; IIRC there are some callbacks to some of the earlier "Them playing them" sketches like Son Of A Bitch(NSFW language), Bagel Time, and Lock Out, though. So maybe watching some of those first is a good idea?
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
empath

Postby empath » 29 Jul 2015, 10:57

Yeah, I feel bad in not mentioning Lock Out. :oops:

But if you're gonna watch either of the others Robo mentioned; they WILL need to be watched in order - SoaB and THEN Bagel Time. ;)
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 29 Jul 2015, 11:01

"Quantum Documentary" I think exemplifies where LRR came from, and is the video that convinced me to stick around too.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
empath

Postby empath » 29 Jul 2015, 11:39

^^^

Loading Ready Run: We take 'meta' as a starting point and run with it.

Of course, there's also the vids they're famous (or infamous?) for:

How to Talk Like a Pirate

Three PS3s

Halo: The Future of Gaming
RedHelveticaCake
First Video: Feed Dump 146
Location: Toronto, floating 4' off the ground, next to a sink

Postby RedHelveticaCake » 30 Jul 2015, 07:56

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! I think so far I've found I prefer their stuff from after they joined the Escapist to their pre-Escapist material. Because Cam is dreamy, and by dreamy I mean in an Unknown Kadath way.
You can lead an idiot to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
unpronounceable
First Video: A Stitch in Time

Postby unpronounceable » 30 Jul 2015, 20:12

I think the first video I saw was A Stitch in Time. One of the others that I constantly show people is The Canadian, especially since I am Canadian.

One that someone in the crew (Andy?) has said is their favourite is Eyewitness Accounts.
BlueChloroplast
First Video: something on the escapist

Postby BlueChloroplast » 01 Aug 2015, 05:09

Third Wheel Dating

Return to “General Discussion”