Moving Advice

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Moussefilledkitten
First Video: Checkpoint

Moving Advice

Postby Moussefilledkitten » 13 Dec 2015, 06:52

In about a month I'll be moving back to southeastern pa from the Midwest. It's the first major move I've made since I started grad school and I was hoping for some advice. More specifically, what sort of household staples do people tend to forget to buy (e.g. a toilet plunger) and then regret later? I'm leaving a bunch of stuff with my roommate and am only taking what I personally own, but I'm making up a list for things to buy when I get there.
betsytheripper
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

Re: Moving Advice

Postby betsytheripper » 13 Dec 2015, 07:32

I moved out from shared housing to living by myself this summer, so here's an incomplete list of stuff I realized I didn't own:
Plunger/toilet brush/all related cleaning supplies
Drawer divider for flatware
A good chefs knife
Variety of saucepans/other kitchen utensils
Shower curtain/bath mat
Garbage can(s)
Furniture pieces (dining room chairs, had the table already)
Pillows/blankets for guests

The other thing I noticed the most was now that I live on my own with sole control in how the house looks, I've put a lot of time into decorating it with all my unique flair. I did also buy a new bookshelf. Honestly a trawl through Ikea will be filled with "Oh, I should get one of those! And these!" etc. But I'd recommend going to the thrift store for a lot of stuff. Basics like serving spoons and whisks can be found fairly thriftfully.

Hope this helps!
-betsy
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 13 Dec 2015, 10:25

I moved to Britain a few months ago so I have gone through this recently.

Even if you move into a furnished place you still have to get random stuff. There is a bare minimum of things like bedding and basic kitchen stuff but to some extent you figure out that you need something, then go buy it. Outside of what betsytheripper has mentioned, I have gotten a toaster, a kettle, a vacuum and a laundry hamper.

I have to admit I haven't really done anything to spruce up my flat. I need to get a couple lamps and some pillows for the chesterfields that came with the flat.

Edit: A good thing to have when moving and such is a tape measure. Another thing I want to get is set of tools.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
betsytheripper
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

Postby betsytheripper » 13 Dec 2015, 14:40

Oh yes, appliances, good call. Especially kitchen ones. I already owned most of the stuff from the kitchen in my shared housing, so that wasn't such a big deal for me.

Second on the tape measure, especially if you think you'll need to buy just one more piece of furniture, measure exactly how big the space is. Basic tools are good to have around, and make sure you stock up on pantry staples, like flour, rice, pasta, etc.

And like Chrusher said, you'll end up getting random stuff because you realize you don't have it. I'm still occasionally doing this, and I moved six months ago.
-betsy
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 13 Dec 2015, 17:25

Gloves, sponges, other cleaning supplies.
Tupperware.
Matches or a lighter of some kind.
An emergency kit and/or a first-aid kit.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Dicey
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby Dicey » 13 Dec 2015, 21:50

Lots of cleaning supplies. Plenty of cookware and dishes. Plenty of clothes hangers. Tool kit for various minor fixes. Trash cans. That's the main stuff I can think of right now. I'll add some more later.
Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 14 Dec 2015, 00:19

Can opener.

Nothing quite like sitting in your empty apartment with a can of soup and a saucepan, and no way to open the soup.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 14 Dec 2015, 01:02

Bottle opener.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
MagisterMystax
First Video: The Innistrad hat draft on MTGO academy

Postby MagisterMystax » 14 Dec 2015, 01:57

Duct tape. There'll always be something you need it for at some point.
I stream video games every friday at 19:00 GMT, at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 14 Dec 2015, 04:23

A few basic pots and pans, eating utensils, kitchen utensils, cutting board, plates, bowl, cups/mugs, drinking glasses, cleaning supplies, BUCKETS! (one can never have too many buckets, they seem to disappear down the same black hole ball point pens do), spare light bulbs (figure out which ones you need and have atleast one of the important ones in stock. You never know when things get dark). I'm sure theres much more.

Maybe some basic emergency supplies. Couple of bottles of water, a torch (don't put the batteries in but keep them together) some candles, some canned foods.

Just keep in mind it might be best to just wait until you need something to buy it, or you might end up cluttering your new place with stuff you never use. It can be annoying to find out you need something 5 minutes after the shops close though so...
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 14 Dec 2015, 14:30

Dutch guy wrote:It can be annoying to find out you need something 5 minutes after the shops close though so...

That's usually when you find out you urgently need a toilet plunger... :shock:
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 14 Dec 2015, 17:11

trash cans and liners, a knife to help tear down moving boxes, lamps, broom/dustpan, hot pads and kitchen towels, and some way of managing your bills.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 15 Dec 2015, 11:12

This is more of a premove thing. Pack up stuff you think you can live without for a month now. get yourself living as spartanly as possible. It will alleviate a lot of stress from the last minute "oh crap im moving in two days and I haven't even started to pack yet"

even if you don't think you have that much stuff, it will take longer to pack it than you think it will.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Moussefilledkitten
First Video: Checkpoint

Postby Moussefilledkitten » 20 Jan 2016, 07:42

Thanks for all the advice!

I'm partially moved in now and have a shopping list for this weekend (assuming that blizzard doesn't put the kibosh on shopping).

Return to “General Discussion”