The Force Awakens.

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Re: The Force Awakens.

Postby Lord Chrusher » 21 Dec 2015, 15:59

Yeah double glasses is one of the drawbacks of 3D to me.

Another thing that is bad in 3D: excessive lens flair.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 21 Dec 2015, 16:05

I kept the 3D glasses from seeing Star Wars yesterday, because they were of a really nice design that actually allowed for wearing glasses underneath comfortably! It was great, I was so happy, because I get so annoyed having to wear uncomfortable 3D glasses. xD

As for the movie itself, I can just say that I was extremely satisfied with it. It didn't fall into any of the pit-holes I feared it might, and my only real complaint was that it felt like they had a movie and a half crammed into one movie. It wasn't a terribly big deal, but it was the only real negative I could think of.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 21 Dec 2015, 16:27

Just saw Star Wars again, this time in 3D. I didn't notice the lense flare. The Star Destroyer coming out of the screen was great.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 21 Dec 2015, 16:54

Lord Chrusher wrote:Yeah double glasses is one of the drawbacks of 3D to me.

Another thing that is bad in 3D: excessive lens flair.
Movie... Can you come here for a second? We need to talk about your lens flare...
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

RoboNixon
First Video: Skeletor's Dick

Postby RoboNixon » 21 Dec 2015, 17:27

Found a really good article that fills in the story gaps. Heavy spoiler warning: http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/star-war ... ence-guide
Learning without thought is labor lost - Confucius
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 21 Dec 2015, 17:52

Here's a funny bit of trivia that involves a minor spoiler
The stormtrooper Rey mind tricks in to releasing her and dropping his blaster was Daniel Craig.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 21 Dec 2015, 21:54

Elomin Sha wrote:Just saw Star Wars again, this time in 3D. I didn't notice the lense flare. The Star Destroyer coming out of the screen was great.

That bit hurt my brain
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 22 Dec 2015, 04:56

Elomin Sha wrote:Here's a funny bit of trivia that involves a minor spoiler
The stormtrooper Rey mind tricks in to releasing her and dropping his blaster was Daniel Craig.

And the junkyard guy with the food rations was Simon Pegg.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 22 Dec 2015, 05:16

Elomin Sha wrote:Here's a funny bit of trivia that involves a minor spoiler

Looking him up on imdb, his character was apparently called 'Stormtrooper JB-007'

I like that.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 22 Dec 2015, 16:09

I saw it.
A guy on Heroes of the Storm maliciously spoilt Han Solo being killed by his son.

I enjoyed the movie a lot. I look forwards to the next ones. The spoiler did affect my viewing because I could work out who was who from the information.
This reflects direly on that person.

I can safely walk around the internet now.
betsytheripper
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

Postby betsytheripper » 22 Dec 2015, 16:16

So I marathoned the despec versions of the trilogy last night, and saw TFA this morning.

I noticed the "retelling" as it were as well, but really like that they did that. It establishes the new kids in a familiar frame. Unfortunately the moment Han stepped on that walkway I was like "dammit this is it", but can see the importance of the arc for Ben. Also, agreed, Rey is like, what, 200% Luke's kid? There was so much implication towards that, I don't know how they'd back out of it.

And the way the new kids are actually pretty full characters is nice. Ben's anger issues and Finn's battle with himself to do the right thing are shown pretty well.

All over, though, I enjoyed it quite a lot. It wasn't perfect, but it was a great time!

Also pissed that Mark Hamill got billing over Carrie Fisher even when he was in all of a minute of the film. Bah.
-betsy
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 22 Dec 2015, 16:37

Carrie Fisher was also told by Disney to lose some weight :\
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 22 Dec 2015, 18:06

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:Carrie Fisher was also told by Disney to lose some weight :\

So was Mark.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 23 Dec 2015, 01:20

Bebop Man wrote:
Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:Carrie Fisher was also told by Disney to lose some weight :\

So was Mark.[/quote]

One of those weren't "newsworthy".
Mark looks like he has aged the best out of the three, besides Chewbacca. He looked very good in The Flash this season after loking a bit podgy in season 1.
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 23 Dec 2015, 05:59

I enjoyed it, dramatic and funny in all the right places.

And whilst I had been reading a fair amount of the rumours and speculations in the months prior, I'd deliberately avoided the proper spoilers and made a point of not watching the new trailers after the original teaser and the first trailer.
So I was informed of the new setup but not of the plot. That said, having avoided spoilers so carefully, on my facebook feed an article link popped up with an image of a toy Rey with lightsaber, so that ruined that development for me.
Aside from knowing about that one though, I enjoyed all the bait and switch moves from the promotion compared to what happens in the film.
Captain Phasma was far too small a role for all the hype of the character, so obviously must be returning in a bigger more complex role, there is some nuance suggested to her considering her lack in backbone taking the shields down, plus JJ has said she's his favourite of the new characters, so there's got to be reason beyond what we've seen so far.
One other thing I noticed was that a couple of the coolest shots from the trailers were not actually in the movie - particularly shots from the first teaser trailer like the x-wings over the lake and Kylo Ren igniting his saber in the forest.
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 23 Dec 2015, 07:37

People keep talking about "the captain Phasma hype". What hype?
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 23 Dec 2015, 10:16

Just saw that toy advert on facebook that I mentioned above that had the noteworthy spoiler again. It's from Disney no less!

Bebop Man wrote:People keep talking about "the captain Phasma hype". What hype?

In a lot of the interviews JJ would mention how badass Phasma was and that she was the first female Star Wars villain in film. Plus they had Gwendoline Christie out on the press junket doing interviews as well, but then the character was essentially irrelevant and could've easily been any old blank slate First Order officer.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 23 Dec 2015, 11:48

I was disappointed too. Started strong.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 23 Dec 2015, 17:06

Really really enjoyed this movie. Possibly more than the originals, but I was never a die-hard fan of the series like I know a lot of people were.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 23 Dec 2015, 19:25

I'm not going to go into details, but... I was deeply unsatisfied, as I was with Star Trek, though not for exactly the same reasons. A coworker said it's because I knew it was JJ Abrams. I said, "No, it's the opposite. It's because of the kind of movies he makes."

I said before that there were two things that the new Star Wars could do that WOULD legitimately make them worse than the prequals, hard as that sounds. They could have bad lightsaber fights (which most people probably aren't nearly as picky as I am, so I'll almost give up on this one)... or they could be boring.

I expect some buyer's remorse on this one coming in a few years, as we had with Phantom Menace. This is better than Phantom Menace, sure, but... I don't know if it's a fifth as interesting to talk about.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 24 Dec 2015, 01:40

I really enjoyed it. My boyfriend said it "had more Star Wars in it than the whole prequel trilogy put together, and possibly more than any of the other movies". And I can see that. I felt it was very good at getting the feel of the original trilogy with a lot of looking back, through the plot, the themes and the actual nods to previous movies, while still being its own thing, with very fleshed-out characters who I found very interesting.

One thing bothered me in the movie: Finn grows a conscience and refuses to kill innocents... and then goes on to kill people he knows to be brainwashed and not responsible for their actions. People who may be a minute away from getting the realisation he did, since he apparently showed absolutely no sign until he snapped out of the brainwashing. Meaning anyone else could at any moment, if not caught and retrained.

It was enough for me to find him a bit too inconsistent of a character, although I really liked him otherwise. There were a few other things that annoyed me a little bit but all of them could be explained by "plot convenience".

As for Han's death, it wasn't spoiled to be but I definitely saw it coming, and it became incredibly obvious, and unavoidable by the time Ben said "I need you to help me do something".I don't think it was a bad thing, it works for the story. And it's one of the parallels with Star Wars (which probably added to how predictable it was). It was spoiled to both my husband and my boyfriend though. My boyfriend got spoiled the night before going to the movie, too, on League of Legends. Why would people do that? Fortunately I was watching over his husband's shoulder, not my boyfriend's, and his husband muted the guy on time (at least the guy warned he was about to post a Star Wars spoiler) so I didn't even know he got spoiled until after we saw the movie. My husband got spoiled at work the day the movie came out, by people who saw the midnight showing and decided to discuss it loudly in the office. What are people thinking, seriously?

Something my husband pointed out that I didn't pay attention to much at the time was how after Han's death, Leia hugs Rey, a complete stranger (sure, probably a family member, and someone who shares the Force as well, but still), after completely ignoring Chewie, who was Han's best friend and who she has known for what, 40 years? Does Chewie not get to be comforted? Seriously, she doesn't even look at him or anything. Reminds me of the scene where he's the only one who doesn't get a medal in Star Wars. The only way I can see it justified is if Rey turns out to be her daughter rather than her niece, and she can sense it or something.

But yeah, all in all, happy about the movie, looking forward to the next one.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 24 Dec 2015, 04:24

My eye started oozing blood and eye discharge during Han Solo's scene. So to other people it looked like I was wiping tears from my eye with a tissue. No, I was preventing blood from going into my eye.
I have a stye.

Most metal I have ever been. Crying blood.
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 24 Dec 2015, 05:36

Avistew wrote:Something my husband pointed out that I didn't pay attention to much at the time was how after Han's death, Leia hugs Rey, a complete stranger (sure, probably a family member, and someone who shares the Force as well, but still), after completely ignoring Chewie, who was Han's best friend and who she has known for what, 40 years? Does Chewie not get to be comforted? Seriously, she doesn't even look at him or anything. Reminds me of the scene where he's the only one who doesn't get a medal in Star Wars. The only way I can see it justified is if Rey turns out to be her daughter rather than her niece, and she can sense it or something.

That too bothered me to no end.
RoboNixon
First Video: Skeletor's Dick

Postby RoboNixon » 24 Dec 2015, 06:09

I loved Chewie's reaction when Han died. Just kind of said fuck it and blew everything up, but he got over it way too quickly after that
Learning without thought is labor lost - Confucius
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 24 Dec 2015, 06:47

To be honest, we don't see a lot of Chewie's characterisation, but... they're old, like. He probably knew one of them was going to die soon, especially in their line of work. I like to imagine his character as a lot more - fatalistic? stalwart? stoic? I can't find the word right now, but accepting what happens - kinda, than Han. Which is maybe why Maz would like him.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Return to “General Discussion”