Politics and the Vague Fear of Something Called Donald Trump

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Re: Politics and the Vague Fear of Something Called Donald T

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 Nov 2016, 18:23

While looking into my LiveJournal in who knows how long, I found a quote from one of the Ender's Game books... I wonder how well it applies here...
Peter Wiggin wrote:It's what I learned from growing up in America. It was a nation created out of nothing - nothing but a set of ideals that they never lived up to. Now and then, they had great leaders, but usually nothing but political hacks, and I mean right from the start. Washington was great, but Adams was paranoid and lazy, and Jefferson was as vile a scheming politician as a nation has ever been cursed with....
I'm saying that America shaped itself with institutions so strong that it could survive corruption, stupidity, vanity, ambition, recklessness, and even insanity in its chief executive.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 12 Nov 2016, 06:09

MotorWaffle wrote:
Elomin Sha wrote:He's made a bit of a U-turn on his stance on Obamacare. I wonder if he's going to go back on everything now that he's in.

This sort of behavior isn't uncommon (though never to this extreme before) in Republican candidates. The party has a severely damaging mentality that every time they lose, they feel it's because their candidate wasn't conservative enough. So you get candidates like Romney in the past, who had to double-down on supposedly extremely conservative beliefs to get the nomination and keep the backing of his party when beforehand his right-wing tendencies weren't to that level. Still present, the man was clearly a republican mind you, but to get the party behind that extra push was needed.

Saw what you will about Trump as a person and businessman (his behavior has been deplorable enough for the former and I'm not business-educated enough to judge the latter), but he's been a household name for decades. He knows how to get and manipulate the attention of the people.

Should we be worried? I'd argue more of Pence than Trump, but perhaps yes. There is also the possibility that a good chunk of this has been playing the republicans.

He may be a genius who has played everyone.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 12 Nov 2016, 06:13

Right, that's why he's putting a climate change denier in charge of the EPA.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 12 Nov 2016, 06:24

And a young-earth creationist in charge of education.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 12 Nov 2016, 10:53

It's really bad how people are taknig advantage of the situation.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 16 Nov 2016, 10:15

This

The link above is an experiment about the 'bubble' we create for ourselves that polarises us from our opponents' point of view- it's a wonderful illustrator of the extent of the political divide. All it needed to be perfect would be for the people to actually speak to one another afterwards, to experience where one another are coming from- I think it would have been incredibly enlightening for both parties.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 16 Nov 2016, 11:47

I don't think it helps that news channels kept saying Hillary was going to win, constantly. People wouldn't vote if they think it is a foregone conclusion. When you think about it, it is quite amazing how Trump won.

He didn't use celebrity endorsements, or holding concerts;
Not much good was said about him;
A couple years ago he was liked and when he went into politics he became evil by the populace.

I dipped in and out of the news surrounding both candidates, I honestly couldn't tell you a single thing Hillary said she would do. Trump said what he would do (good-bad), I didn't with her.

One question I wanted to ask people who supported Hillary:
Some people say that if you voted Trump you were a sexist, homophobe and racist. (Not a fan of people spewing insults like that via generalising). That voting for him couldn't be squared away because of passed deeds. In comparisson how could Democrat supporters vote for Hillary when she accepts money from Saudi Arabia, a country that has an atrocious human rights record and treatment to women. How is that acceptable?

As I previously said: I didn't want either candidate to win. Both rub me the wrong way.
Trump although is a business man, successful/not-successful at times, doesn't mean those credentials can run a country.
Hillary said that she deserved to win I thought idiot. The Oval Office is not a trophy, it is a responsibility. Its not a gold watch you get for several years of service at work. I was never fond how she jumps on band wagons too.

Next four years will be interesting. Have to give him a chance. He won, let's see if he does well or cock it up.
Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Amake » 16 Nov 2016, 12:11

For starters, if you have ever had a ride in or had any goods transported by a car that runs on oil, you have done so with the support of Saudi Arabia.

But that's beside the point. If you had one person with ties to a far away country with an atrocious human rights record and treatment of women and one person with an atrocious human rights record and treatment of women to choose between to lead your country, that'd be no contest.
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 16 Nov 2016, 12:55

Currently one is alleged while one is known. I wait for the guilty verdict from a court of law.
Amake

Postby Amake » 16 Nov 2016, 13:55

Are you referring to Trump himself alleging his violation of women, or Trump's own allegations of promising to violate like half of the human rights if elected? I 'm not aware he's under trial for either one. There is the problem with fraud, of course. But let's not be sidetracked with all his failings or we'll be here four years from now.
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 16 Nov 2016, 14:18

I was citing the allegations involving the women coming forward because it link with mentioning Saudi Arabia.

With that link, that's a lot of stuff that I did not know about. Was that brought up on any news site? Surely that would make some kind of dent if it was.
Amake

Postby Amake » 16 Nov 2016, 14:51

Well, every one of the items in that meters long list is sourced to one or more news sites. But I'd like to ask, you're okay with Trump talking and acting the way he does as long as it can't be proven to break the law? And then only in regard to making women and little girls uncomfortable? You have no problem with his repeated and specific promises to violate human rights? I'm trying to figure out if I have to ditch these forums for my mental health, you understand.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 16 Nov 2016, 16:25

So... we were OK with Clinton and Kennedy doing this type of sexist thing before/while President but not Trump? I'm not saying it's good, but I'm saying that if you crucify one, you've got to crucify them all.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Amake

Postby Amake » 16 Nov 2016, 16:37

I have not seen any footage of little girls squirming and looking scared while Clinton or Kennedy struggle to hold them down and kiss them, but no, it would not be okay with me and I can't guess why you'd think it was in question or what it has to do with surviving president-elect Trump.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 17 Nov 2016, 04:45

Amake no. If he did he's a tosser. BUT, you weren't there, I wasn't there. We can come up with a personal assumption of what we hear but cannot pass a defining guilty verdict. For that I default to a court of law.
Amake

Postby Amake » 17 Nov 2016, 05:12

Well, no one's going to find Trump guilty of crimes against humanity unless maybe after he actually commits them so I guess it doesn't matter at all to you that he explicitly promised to. But I'm confused about your hardline stance on Clinton then; has Saudi Arabia been found guilty of sexual assault in a court of law?

And I mean, we can go back to the list to see how many of Trump's allies and backers and supporters have a criminal record if that matters when it's about him and not just Clinton.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 17 Nov 2016, 06:13

Amake wrote:And I mean, we can go back to the list to see how many of Trump's allies and backers and supporters have a criminal record if that matters when it's about him and not just Clinton.

Saudi Arabia has not. I'm not sure how you'd be able to try an entire country and deal out a suitable punishment for what we see a crimes and for them to stick. Unless Amnesty International or others have tried.
The comparison, we have video evidence of what Saudi Arabia have done, by their own laws, and we balk at them. Rightfully so, their laws and punishments are barbaric and stupid. With Trump, an idiot for saying what he said caught on mic but not caught doing such acts. Me personally, if I was able to vote, wouldn't have voted for her because of that support given, oil argument be damned. And I would not vote Trump because he doesn't look like he has a good head under that hair to run a country either.

You're supposed to to be hard on those elected. They're supposed to do a job that they petitioned for. If they're not doing it to your liking, you take them to task for it. You don't get them in and let them go have fun with it.
It may seem a harder stance because of the position that Clinton has been in over the years and her portrayal she gives off. When Trump gets his power he'll be treated in the same way by myself. Currently, I only know him as a bad tv show host, whom shaved Vince McMahon's hair and made a lot of stupid bravado and words.
Neither can be considered saints, how many politicians can be? I just don't like actions that have already been taken. All countries have skeleton's in the closet, mine especially, it's just one has them now. I understand dealing with a devil is just how things happen in the world it just bothers me how one thing didn't bother people more.

Amake wrote:Well, no one's going to find Trump guilty of crimes against humanity unless maybe after he actually commits them so I guess it doesn't matter at all to you that he explicitly promised to.

Don't assume anything with me. As I said before I can draw a thought about something but not a proper conclusion with out information.

You can't find anyone guilty until after a crime has taken place and it has been proven to be so. You can take them to task before hand. Promises can be broken. Look at what mop head's done already, laid put what he was going to do in his campaign and repeatedly changed those promises. It's a typical move, the plans will change more over.

If you misunderstood me, all the people that who have supported Trump, who are dicks. Are dicks. When we can, we should get around to putting them to trial. I mentioned the endorsements earlier because obviously he's not going to parade those people around but despite that and those that Hillary did, it seemed to have no effect on voters. One tried to use style and the other used substance (The wrong substance). As I said both candidates sucked but only one was considered a bad person. Both have been bad in their own ways. I've noticed people tend to gloss over one.
Amake

Postby Amake » 17 Nov 2016, 07:02

The reason we overlook Clinton's faults is that she's much less likely to try to recreate Saudi Arabia as closely as possible than Trump is. It's about taking a firm stance against fascism. They're not "both bad in their own ways", not if you have any concern for human rights or women's personhood.

We have one guy who personally, warmly promises to violate (at a conservative count) articles 1, 2, 5, 7, 9, 14, 15, 18, 19, 22 and 25; whose personal and professional conduct only barely falls within the legal bounds of a billionaire; whose vice president's foremost distinguishing feature is how much he fucking hates women and works to limit their place in society; who has been utterly and unprecedentedly condemned by ACLU, NAACP, SPLC and any number of people interested in protecting human rights and lives; someone who just about everyone in the civilized world apart from his fascist peers agree need a concentrated effort to keep him as far away from a position of power as possible.

And on the other hand Clinton, herself a woman, with a record of doing at least the bare minimum to protect if not further minority rights, has taken money from Saudi Arabia. The notion of equating the two offends and frightens me nearly as much as outright support for Trump.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 17 Nov 2016, 13:43

To to paraphrase Stephen Fry: You're offended, so what? That doesn't do anything.

In simple bullet points:
Trump (asshole) boasted to have done it (which is wrong), gets abused in the press, rightly so;
Clinton (untrustowrthy) takes money from a country that has appauling treatment to women, not really mentioned.

That is what I was talking about, then digression occurred.
Amake

Postby Amake » 17 Nov 2016, 14:42

A digression into Trump's anti-democracy and the danger he poses to everyone who's not just like him. I can see that doesn't interest you at all, so I guess I'll leave you to your important business then.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 17 Nov 2016, 16:42

Meh.
ReilaOda
First Video: IDDQderp Stalker COP EP 1

Postby ReilaOda » 18 Nov 2016, 01:26

I often distinguish a fear of trump with a Fear of his most radical supporters. A fear which I already bore in mind. I'm afraid of what his most loonie supporters might do, as I always was, and what the senate/house being republican might change.

I personally find him not particularly frightening, Pence I find far more panic inducing, but I'm very much afraid of the radical supporters. Not Trump.
Darkflame
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Darkflame » 18 Nov 2016, 10:38

That makes sense to some extent - but at a bare minimum Trump is proven as someone who will happily give power to racists and bigots. The most powerful man in the world simply doesn't care.
http://www.fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
--
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+. Give us a like if you can, it all helps.
Amake

Re: Politics and the Vague Fear of Something Called Donald Trump

Postby Amake » 24 Jan 2017, 09:15

It turns out Trump has given all power to racists and bigots and appointed people vehemently opposed to the existence of most government agencies to lead those agencies. They have started dismantling ACA, started canceling the country's United Nations membership, repeated Bush's 2001 foreign anti-abortion measures that's going to cause an estimated 2.2 million abortions and 21 700 deaths from unintended pregnancies, banned the EPA and the Department of Agriculture from communicating any science to the public*, prepared to officially open war on North Dakota's native american nations to get that oil pipeline built**, held press conferences where they refused to answer any questions whatsoever and repeatedly denied a very easily demonstrable almost meaningless fact seemingly just to see how much lying they can get away with, and apparently closed investigations into the city of Flint's poisonous water. Lawsuits are underway because that was apparently the only way Trump would consider giving up his many undisclosed conflicting business interests. Protests against the inaguration by Democrats and the day after by people around the world are both without precedent in US history; Trump responded to those petulantly on twitter.

I've probably missed something, but that's day one of president Trump. Are we allowed to be worried yet?

*As one comment i read remarked, "salad is about to get interesting".
** My understanding is that law enforcement using military equipment and harassment tactics is already making war on them, so making it "official" isn't really going to be much of a change, but it's still an intolerable situation they're working to make even worse.
Elomin Sha

Re: Politics and the Vague Fear of Something Called Donald Trump

Postby Elomin Sha » 24 Jan 2017, 11:55

Amake wrote:I've probably missed something, but that's day one of president Trump. Are we allowed to be worried yet?

Yes, my child. As I say unto you, you may get slightly vexed, but use ones head with clarity and vigor. May the bag be with you, burning your enemies. Now, nibble on my body and lick my slime.

Return to “General Discussion”