Politics and the Vague Fear of Something Called Donald Trump

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Re: Politics and the Vague Fear of Something Called Donald T

Postby Jamfalcon » 08 Nov 2016, 23:54

Yuuuup.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 09 Nov 2016, 01:15

Wake up find my twitter timeline exploded. I'm more of an optimist than some people realise. If Trump is going to be as bad as people think he will probably be impeached within his first two years.

I'm going to be interested in the voting figures that come out of this compared to the last two elections. Was there voter atrophy, where did the demographics actually vote.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 09 Nov 2016, 02:23

To quote Alex "A-train" steacy Hahahah... FUCK

Honestly, we were fucked either way due to somebody getting shafted thanks to the DNC. Funny thing is that the Hillary party is blaming Bernie supporters even though many were being toxic to them for the past months instead of trying to coax or talk them over. Pushing them to do a few things; vote green, vote trump (wonder what happened), write in bernie, or not vote at all. Gonna be an interesting view years
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 09 Nov 2016, 02:54

True, I do wonder how media coverage swayed people, if there are those who swapped sides because of relentless hostilities to either side.

Twitter reaction has been interesting to watch. There are many people who aren't be adults about it. I have to deal with the EU referendum we just had, I wanted to stay but people wanted to leave. Luckily it was advisory, which people kept forgetting after the votes came in; it still may not happen.

One Hashtag I don't get (as with many): HesNotMyPresident. Trump isn't your president, just yet. Ge's been voted by the majority. It's how democracy works, not everyone is going to be happy, you get a Giant Douche or a Turd Sandwich.

Edit: just saw someone saying that blood is on the hands on anyone who voted the wrong way. Bit strong and prejudgemental.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
Forecedreject
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby Forecedreject » 09 Nov 2016, 03:40

So, I suppose since I made this thread with the topic and all that, I suppose I'll finally revisit it.

Stephen more or less says how I feel about this election season:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m2valF3s84

People on every side have been more intent on hating each other rather than having a discourse or finding common ground. Democrat, Republican, I don't give a damn. Never have. Debate, disagree, but respect each other. I feel like this election season has made alot of people lose sight of that.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 09 Nov 2016, 09:29

Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

CamelKnackRambleHort
First Video: Cursing

Postby CamelKnackRambleHort » 09 Nov 2016, 10:15

Forecedreject wrote:So, I suppose since I made this thread with the topic and all that, I suppose I'll finally revisit it.

Stephen more or less says how I feel about this election season:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m2valF3s84

People on every side have been more intent on hating each other rather than having a discourse or finding common ground. Democrat, Republican, I don't give a damn. Never have. Debate, disagree, but respect each other. I feel like this election season has made alot of people lose sight of that.

I wish people respected me. I wish I could go outside without people glaring at me. I wish I could use a public bathroom without fearing for my safety. I want the have the right to go into a store without worrying that some bigot is going to decide they don't like me and kick me out. I want to be able to move into a new apartment complex without people talking behind my back and instructing their children to go back inside if they see me come out with my daughter. I wish my mother in law didn't try to convince my wife to divorce me because I am different. I wish I didn't have to sit through rants by my grandmother about how terrible and evil lgbt people are.

I don't know. I try really hard to be respectful and understanding. I really do. It is hard sometimes.
She/her please
SAJewers
First Video: Tuscon or Bust

Postby SAJewers » 09 Nov 2016, 10:57

I feel like this Talk by Tom Scott from last year is relevant to the discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE2PP7EowdM
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 09 Nov 2016, 11:25

So 130 million didn't vote compared to the 93 in 2012. I wonder why.
Paviel
First Video: Mustache You A Question

Postby Paviel » 09 Nov 2016, 11:42

After this election, all I can say is that Desert Bus For Hope can't come soon enough.

I need something to restore my faith in humanity.
SAJewers
First Video: Tuscon or Bust

Postby SAJewers » 09 Nov 2016, 11:56

SAJewers wrote:I feel like this Talk by Tom Scott from last year is relevant to the discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE2PP7EowdM

Funny I mention him, as he just put up a video on the Election: https://youtu.be/abwc7AAXn3A
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 09 Nov 2016, 15:35

It seems Trump has removed the temporary banning of Muslims coming into the US he put forward from his site. I never thought that would last past a possible election win for long. Maybe his real policies are coming in soon.

It would be funny if it turns out to be the most calculating individual ever: runs a bad campaign on purpose using the prejudices of people to get in. Then, when he gets in brings in a ton of good reforms that benefit the country because he didn't think any other candidate on either side would do a good job.

Yes, I do live in a dream world.
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 09 Nov 2016, 18:21

Elomin Sha wrote:
One Hashtag I don't get (as with many): HesNotMyPresident. Trump isn't your president, just yet. Ge's been voted by the majority.

It's because that is what the Republicans have been saying since Obama was elected.
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 09 Nov 2016, 18:30

Be bigger people and don't stoop to their level.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 09 Nov 2016, 20:20

You overestimate the average person, I say.

Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 10 Nov 2016, 02:16

I do try to be slightly more optimistic than most. I do think that most if the things people are afraid of won't happen and people will be embarrassed by their reactions.
Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Amake » 10 Nov 2016, 06:55

Meanwhile, I've started this journal of hate crimes since yesterday so I don't forget anything. It's filling up pretty reliably.
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 10 Nov 2016, 14:26

Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 10 Nov 2016, 16:30

Not an outright crime, but my girlfriend got screamed at this morning while waiting in line for coffee. Some guy yelled "fuck Hillary, go Trump!" at her without any prompting, when she had nothing to show outward support of either candidate, besides being a woman I guess.

And this is just what happens to a white woman in a major city of a thoroughly democrat-leaning state. I'm angry now, but I hate to think what would have happened to her if she was a visible minority, or had actually had a Hillary bumper sticker or something.

And the comments on her post about it on Facebook? Friends talking about experiencing racism to a level they've never experienced before. It's crazy how drastically this has inspired the hateful people to come out of the woodwork and be open about their awfulness.

My girlfriend's fine, and I'm glad for that, but I know she's one of the lucky ones.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 Nov 2016, 06:04

I got caught in the backlash and am relatively lucky to be alive, I say.

I was on the bus yesterday and ended up late getting home due to the (peaceful) protests and the football game.

I'm sitting there while the bus is at a stop, minding my own business, playing Pokemon Go (good haul yesterday, too, actually), when I hear a woman outside scream. I look up and see a black woman tearing down the street, running for her life. As I am wondering what she's running from, a group of 6 black teens comes into view, chasing her. Their... "leader" I want to say... glances in the bus and sees me, the only white guy in the bus. He then points at me and screams "YOU! You're the reason Trump got in! We're gonna beat the $#!t outta you!" Then, the group attempts to force the front door open. I am glad for the bus driver, who drove off at that point, with these teens clawing at the door. Had they gotten in, I know that they would've attempted to reach me.

These young men were angry. These young men would not have listened to reason. These young men wouldn't care that I didn't vote for Trump. I have never seen that much hatred in the eyes of a stranger being directed at me. I was just a symbol of what they hated and they might have killed me over it.

Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 11 Nov 2016, 07:49

What a bunch of tossers.
CamelKnackRambleHort
First Video: Cursing

Postby CamelKnackRambleHort » 11 Nov 2016, 10:43

I'm sorry memo. There is a lot of that sort of thing going around. I wish it would stop.
She/her please
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 11 Nov 2016, 11:55

This video (warning- NSFW language and repeated reference to minor occurrences in the British media) has been doing the rounds in the UK at present, and although the message is delivered more angrily than I personally would do (and I think veers a little off its rails at the end), I think it's straight bloody gold dust as an exercise in political dissection. It lays the blame for the Trump presidency, to my mind, exactly where it should be going, even if I can't quite endorse the sheer aggression of delivery.

On the front of which... I've actually been really impressed by how so much online media is responding to the Trump presidency. There is an overarching message that I've seen a lot (not everywhere, but a lot- Tom Scott, 38 Degrees, Avaaz, Cracked, a couple of BBC Editorials and the video above) essentially saying "Y'know what? We done f***ed up on this one- the fact that Trump was able to get elected at all is an idictment of the failure of his opponents to deal with the frustrations he tapped into. Now is the time to suit up and get ready to fight the good fight."
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 11 Nov 2016, 13:51

He's made a bit of a U-turn on his stance on Obamacare. I wonder if he's goign to go back on everything now that he's in.
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 11 Nov 2016, 16:29

Elomin Sha wrote:He's made a bit of a U-turn on his stance on Obamacare. I wonder if he's going to go back on everything now that he's in.

This sort of behavior isn't uncommon (though never to this extreme before) in Republican candidates. The party has a severely damaging mentality that every time they lose, they feel it's because their candidate wasn't conservative enough. So you get candidates like Romney in the past, who had to double-down on supposedly extremely conservative beliefs to get the nomination and keep the backing of his party when beforehand his right-wing tendencies weren't to that level. Still present, the man was clearly a republican mind you, but to get the party behind that extra push was needed.

Saw what you will about Trump as a person and businessman (his behavior has been deplorable enough for the former and I'm not business-educated enough to judge the latter), but he's been a household name for decades. He knows how to get and manipulate the attention of the people.

Should we be worried? I'd argue more of Pence than Trump, but perhaps yes. There is also the possibility that a good chunk of this has been playing the republicans.

Return to “General Discussion”