Tugger Nutts #7

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Malcairad
First Video: LoadingReadyRun on Twitch

Tugger Nutts #7

Postby Malcairad » 06 Apr 2016, 00:31

Sorry for the delay, I was working on the story I posted earlier. So here is Tugger Nutts #7

Tugger Nutts Gets in Deep

Tugger Nutts loved sucking on nuts. He could have them in his mouth all day long. Salty or clean, round or long, dark or light, big or small, Tugger Nutts loved wrapping his tongue around them all.

He was currently headed to Germany for an important nut off. Tugger Nutts was to be the deciding judge on a nut based competition for commercial endorsement. His friend asked him to help judge, and therefore decide, which nut company should get his business.

A lot of money was involved. The winner’s nutty treat would be seen in advertisement during the National Football (Soccer) Championship. They would also be rewarded enough money to ensure they could produce enough product to be sold at the event.

The trip was a great ride aboard the train. Beautiful scenery was visible along the entire length of the journey. He didn't even have to count humans, the rhythm of the train lulled Tugger Nutts to sleep each night.

Arriving at the station in Germany, Tugger Nutts was greeted by his friend. The television producer hugged Tugger Nutts, and welcomed him to Germany. Too many years have gone by since Tugger Nutts helped his old friend get his hoof, sorry I meant foot, in the door of television, and now he owned his own station.

“Grüße (Greetings), Tugger Nutts.” His old friend hugged him. “Ich brauche Ihre anspruchsvollen Zunge mir zu helfen. Ich weiß, wie viel Sie Nüsse in den Mund gefallen . Dieser Wettbewerb wird ein großes Geschäft für wen auch immer gewinnt sein. (I need your discerning tongue to help me. I know how much you like nuts in your mouth. This competition will be big business for whomever wins.)” The television producer looked thoughtful and frowned.

Tugger Nutts bleated questioningly. He knew his old friend; he did not trouble easily. Something about this competition was not right, and Tugger Nutts wanted to know what was worrying his old friend.

“Ich habe dir etwas zu sagen, aber nicht hier. (I have to tell you something, but not here.)” The television producer looked around nervously. “Lassen Sie uns zum Hotel gehen Sie in übernachten, während Sie hier sind. Wir können dort sprechen. (Let's go to the hotel you will be staying in while you are here. We can talk there.)” The two friends travelled in silence to Tugger Nutts’ hotel. Tugger Nutts checked in then walked to his room.

“(I am sorry to say you are an alternate judge. The first judge had an accident, or so the authorities say. The competition needed to finish with a winner, that's when I remembered how much you loved my nuts, and that you were a great detective. I need your help to solve this mystery, but I am afraid making you the deciding judge may have put you at risk for an ‘accident’ as well.)”

Tugger Nutts listened intently to his friend. A chance to taste premium nuts and solve a mystery? How could he say no?! He was eager to begin.

“Danke mein alter Freund. Ich hoffe, Sie bleiben gut und entdecken Sie die Wahrheit dessen, was passiert ist. Bis morgen, gute Nacht (Thank you my old friend. I hope you stay well and discover the truth of what happened. Until tomorrow, good night) Tugger Nutts.” The television producer left Tugger Nutts’ room. Time now for sleep, then tomorrow mystery, and eventually tasty nuts in his mouth.

Tugger Nutts started his day by traveling to his friend’s television station. He met his friend and asked about the competition, and the unfortunate former judge. He also wanted all the information his friend had on the last two contestants.

The first contestant Tugger Nutts researched was an old lady baker. She had been running a small family owned bakery for many years. Her treat was called an Almond Nut Ball. Simple, and most likely delicious, Tugger Nutts couldn't wait to taste it.

The other participant to make it to the finals was a middle aged man, a professional businessman. He owned a large candy manufacturing company. The treat he had entered was called a Moss Covered Nut Log. Tugger Nutts’ mouth watered in anticipation.

One person could use the winnings to stay in business. The other would welcome the extra free business and advertising. But would one of them stoop to possibly murdering someone who may not have chosen their treat as the winner?

The former judge was a healthy, if older, gentleman. He seemed to not have any serious health problems for someone his age. His “accident” happened at his home, an unfortunate fall down his inside staircase. There was no evidence of foul play, but as a head judge in a competition where the payout was quite substantial, suspicions were cast everywhere. Tugger Nutts decided he would have to investigate the crime scene himself. He would have to do it quickly, the first stage for the final judging would start soon.

The ex-judge’s home was a modest duplex. Tugger Nutts received permission from the police to enter the area and conduct his own investigation of the scene. Tugger Nutts examined the area where the body was found, as well as the upstairs. He looked, sniffed, felt, and tasted everything he could.

The only thing Tugger Nutts found was a small patch of salty stuff at the top of the railing. It was tasty, but did it have anything to do with this accident? It may have been slippery and caused the previous judge to lose his hand grip, and then his balance, going down the stairs. Tugger Nutts thought that didn't really seem plausible. He thought about it as he returned to the television station.

Tugger Nutts arrived just in time to take his head judge seat. His friend was worried about him, but smiled happily when he arrived. The contest was about to start.

The first round of the finals was presentation. The look of a product was very important to its sell-ability. If it did not look like something a person would want to eat, they most likely would not buy it. If the treat did not look good in the commercial and other advertising, the money would be wasted.

The businessman presented his visual offering. His treat was a small, but elongated, dark chocolate covered item. He drizzled his secret green “moss sauce” on top. The effect was truly reminiscent of moss on a log, appropriately naming his treat. The three judges made notes on their observations then prepared themselves to inspect the other finalist’s entry.

The family bakery’s representative brought forth her entry. A half dozen, round balls of cookie dough were covered in pieces of almonds. Each nut covered ball had a slightly different color. The older woman was obviously very proud of her Almond Nut Balls. The judges noted colors and other visual properties.

Pictures of the creations were taken by the advertising department. Varying signs were created featuring each product. Both entries looked beautiful when advertised, this would be a difficult decision.

Next on the checklist of qualifications was producibility. The product needed to be quickly and cheaply produced on a massive scale. And still be made easily and cheaply for people at home. It needed to sold as a store product and a home family activity.

The old woman provided her recipe for her Almond Nut Balls. One quarter cup raw almonds, Two cups pitted dates, One quarter teaspoon sea salt, One teaspoon flavored extract (vanilla, almond, orange, etc.), One teaspoon cinnamon, A half cup+ of raw almond butter. Use a food processor or high-speed blender to grind raw almonds. Process until almonds become crumbs, but not flour-like. Add in all other ingredients and process until fully combined. Press and shape mixture into balls.

The businessman, however, was reluctant to hand over all the information on his product. He didn't mind handing over the nut bar formula, but the topping, his “moss sauce,” was a company secret. He wanted it to be his “ace in the hole” for this competition.

The judges discussed this problem. The man could sell it with or without the “moss sauce” during the football game and in the stores. However, this would mean he would not be awarded monies based on the ingredients needed to make the “moss sauce.” If he was the chosen winner, then the contract would have to be very specific about such a clause.

The businessman reluctantly discussed the base of his treat. Caramel was melted and mixed with almond pieces, then covered in a rich, dark chocolate. Easy to make in large amounts, even at home in small amounts, but his secret was a green-colored, slightly salty dip that went with it. A classified topping that could be sold separately for people to make his full treat at home without compromising his secret. The combination of sweet and salt, with the great taste of almonds, made it a unique and seemingly delicious treat.

The judges discussed amongst themselves the promotion of each treat. The old woman’s family bakery treat was easy to make, but looks were inconsistent. The business man’s treat could be made identical within his factory, and the homemade version could look very similar. People were usually more comfortable buying and making things almost exactly as it appears in the advertisements.

The final qualifying aspect of the nut off was, of course, taste. Each product would be sampled by the judges. Everything will be settled finally, a winner will be announced tomorrow.

The family bakery shop owner was first to present her treat for tasting to Tugger Nutts, and the other two judges. She placed one treat before each judge. The woman stood waiting for the judges to critique her work. “Dies ist das Grundrezept , Kakao oder anderen Aromen hinzugefügt werden können, ist, warum gibt es verschiedene Farben. (This is the basic recipe, cocoa or other flavors can be added, that is why there are different colors.)”

All three judges took a small bite of the offering. They sampled for texture, flavor, uniqueness, and other qualities. Tugger Nutts ate the whole treat thoughtfully, remembering every detail of every bite. The trio of judges commented on its deliciousness and seeming simplicity.

The woman stepped back as the businessman stepped forward with his treat. Elongated, dark chocolate covered items were set before each judge. The man than took the small bowl of green sauce and lightly covered each piece. He stepped back and allowed the judges to taste his confection.

Once again, the judges sampled the offered treat for its qualities. Delicious sweetness of chocolate and caramel, and a rich nuttiness, mixed with the slightly salty topping. The combination of flavors was extraordinary. Tugger Nutts was having a hard time judging one over the other.

The judges wished the contestants well, asked them to leave and return tomorrow for their final decision. The judges talked amongst themselves for the final time. They would go home, deliberate upon their choice, and arrive tomorrow ready to choose a winner.

One judge, it was obvious to Tugger Nutts, was for the family bakery and against big businesses. Equally as obvious, the other judge believed the businessman deserved to win because he built a company. Tugger Nutts would be the deciding vote.

Tugger Nutts once again looked over the treats before leaving. He was looking at the old woman’s treat when he saw the businessman watching him before exiting. Tugger Nutts wondered how long he had been standing there before leaving.

Tugger Nutts decided he needed to investigate this businessman. Something about him didn't feel right. He gathered his trusty pack and filled it certain items before heading off to the candy factory.

Tugger Nutts arrived at the large candy factory. The businessman went inside and Tugger Nutts followed after. He was going to get to the bottom of this mystery and finish the contest as judge.

A lot of machines were working making candies of all types. Tugger Nutts wished he was here on a tasting tour instead of an investigation. The man went up a metal staircase and Tugger Nutts followed.

Now it is very hard to walk up a metal staircase in hooves, and not make a sound. Tugger Nutts knew the man knew that he knew the man knew he was there. The man was standing against a railing looking down at all of his machines working.

“Wenn Sie hierher gekommen sind, um den Wettbewerb zu diskutieren, dann bin ich daran interessiert, was Sie zu sagen haben kann. Andernfalls Sie unerlaubtes Betreten und ich werde Sie bitten, zu gehen. (If you have come here to discuss the contest, then I am interested in what you may have to say. Otherwise, you are trespassing and I will ask you to leave.)” The businessman said to Tugger Nutts without turning around to face him.

Tugger Nutts bleated questionably and accusingly to the big business man. There were remnants of his secret “moss sauce” on the railing just like in the former judge’s house. Tugger Nutts stood next to the man, looking at him.

“Ja, ich verursacht seinem Unfall. Er würde stimmen für mein Produkt nicht. Drehen Sie mich? Ha! Ich denke nicht. Und jetzt, da Sie wissen, werde ich dich zu töten! (Yes, I caused his accident. He wasn't going to vote for my product. Turn myself in? Ha! I think not. And now that you know, I will kill you too!)” The man quickly lifted Tugger Nutts and threw him over the railing into a large metal vat of the secret sauce.

Tugger Nutts struggled in the dip. He tried to pull himself out by grabbing onto the edge, but the sauce was thick. It was like being stuck in quicksand. Tugger Nutts moved in and out, up and down, back and forth, but every motion just made him stickier and wetter. Tugger Nutts was tiring fast. He didn't know when he would come to the finish of his life.

“Sie befinden sich nun in einer tiefen, (You are in deep now,) Tugger Nutts!” The man laughed. “Jeder Schub Sie gerade machen tauchen Sie tiefer und tiefer in die Wanne. Bald werden Sie von meinen knackigen, salzig Mischung ertrinken! (Every thrust you make just plunges you deeper and deeper into the vat. Soon you will be drowned by my tasty, salty mixture!)”

Tugger Nutts knew he had to find a way out quick. The vast was full of the tasty sauce, but Tugger Nutts didn't think even he could eat his way out of it. Or could he?

Tugger Nutts examined the edge of the vat. He was looking for the weld point of the top and/or the side seal. A little ways away from him was what he was looking for.

Tugger Nutts used all his strength to pull himself along the rim to the seam of the vat. Once he was there he made one more lunge out of the vat, and chomped down, biting through the edge. A couple more bites and the seam was broken. Tugger Nutts continued biting the seam, weakening it.

“Nein! Halt! Was machen Sie? (No! Stop! What are you doing?)” The man yelled.

By Tugger Nutts eating the seam, the weight and pressure of the sauce on the damaged vat caused the seam to rip open. Rivets popped out like buttons on a fat man’s tight shirt, and sauce flowed everywhere. Tugger Nutts slid out, limp, tired, and sticky.

The automatic emergency system of the factory turned on. The police and other emergency personnel would be there shortly. The man would be caught.

“Sie können diese Runde gewonnen haben, (You may have won this round,) Tugger Nutts. Aber sie können die anderen Richter Tod auf mich nicht stecken! (But they can't pin the other judge’s death on me!)” The businessman said smugly.

Tugger Nutts pulled out his tape recorder from his trusty pack and played their conversation. All the evidence and confession the authorities would need to put the businessman away for a long time. Tugger Nutts handed the tape over to the police when they arrived.

As the man was being taken away, Tugger Nutts sighed, bleated, and shook his head. It is a shame now that he is disqualified. The old lady will now be winner.

“Sie würde mein Vergnügen gewählt haben? Aber warum suchen Sie am anderen Eintrag für so lange? (You would've chosen my treat? But then why were you looking at the other entry for so long?)”

Tugger Nutts’s friend entered to make sure he was safe. The producer laughed as he repeated Tugger Nutts’s answer. “Da die Platte sie auch waren köstlich aussah! (Because the plate they were on also looked delicious!)”

Tugger Nutts finished the contest as head judge. He caught the criminal responsible for the former judge’s “accident.” And he had a picture of his friend TV Producer Graham for his wall. Oh, and he had nuts in his mouth for a long time to come.

Return to “General Discussion”