Physical Moon Unit Currency Designs

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Radyin
First Video: A Stitch in Time

Physical Moon Unit Currency Designs

Postby Radyin » 26 Jun 2016, 10:51

Yesterday's LRL inspired me to try my hand at designing some coins and paper currency for the Moon Unit, the Moonbase's own currency.

I asked Graham, and he said that the consensus is that the Moon Unit is structured like the Japanese Yen, but you use metric prefixes for large numbers.

Graham Stark ‏@Graham_LRR
@robertbmtg Asked around: we’ve decided that they’re like Yen, but if the numbers get too big you can use metric prefixes. Kilomoon = 1000 (Link)

The yen uses coins for 1, 5, 10, 50, 100, and 500. There are also bank notes in 1000, 5000, and 10000. I don't think I have it in me to design that many objects, so I was thinking 1, 10, and 100 coins and 1000, 5000, and 10000 notes.

Here's my question to you all. Who should be on what value of currency? Should it be cast members or characters? Right now, I'm thinking about Spoopifer on the 1 Moon Unit coin (so many ghosts in your pocket) and Gib for the most valuable note (add a 1,000,000 Moon Unit bill so it would be a Megamoon?).

What do you all think?
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Re: Physical Moon Unit Currency Designs

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 26 Jun 2016, 11:31

I like the idea of a truly LUDICROUS exchange rate, with everything lower than a Kilomoon being dealt with via coinage. The reverse of each note is rented out for advertising space. So:

Kilomoon: Spoopifer, with a background of smaller, fainter Spoopifers forming a disturbing watermark. Reverse is a QR code leading to antisun.org
Ten Kilomoon: An incredibly detailed mural of the Matt Frump face. Watermark says EVERYTHING IS FINE. Reverse is an advert for QWRP FM.
Hundred Kilomoon: Krog and Torg standing valiantly atop a prone Hurk. Reverse is an advert for 'The Whole Story' with Nigel Fitzgerald-Brewer. Watermark is a craftily snuck-in advert for vacations in Snorsh, as proudly announced by Princess Kathleen.
Megamoon: 64K looking street AF. Watermark is David van der Punch lined up to take a shot at Ice Tray. Reverse is an advert for the services of the 7th City Heroes.
Ten Megamoon: Warriors of Darkness surrounding the chairman of Evil Inc. Watermark is Beej gurning furiously. Reverse is an advert for Kane and Crowthorne Mercenary Solutions.
Hundred Megamoon: Story Guy. The watermark is Johnny. Reverse is an advertisement for Dave's Lumber and Lumbar supplies (changes quarterly)
Gigamoon: Gibb. Reverse is also Gibb, but this time sitting on a giant throne and surveying his kingdom. Watermark is Spot the Dog.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
TStodden
First Video: Checkpoint #067: Final Fantasy Apology
Location: Siouxland Empire, USA, Earth, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby TStodden » 26 Jun 2016, 23:12

How many Moons per Desert Bucks? (2.3 Million?)
~TStodden
(Going Text based as Photobucket is being a jerk)
abyssalCompiler
First Video: Doctors Hate Her

Postby abyssalCompiler » 29 Jun 2016, 11:32

Maybe Spot for the 10 Moon Units coin?
~Shameless plug for my art/creative works blog~
http://abyssalcompiler.tumblr.com/

My twitter: https://twitter.com/abyssalcompiler
Arclight_Dynamo
First Video: Desert Bus 1

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 29 Jun 2016, 11:33

So... any Moon Unit with Gibb on it has got to be called a "Gibbous Moon Unit," right?

*Runs*
Darkflame
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Darkflame » 29 Jun 2016, 22:31

The Coins should have notches that allow interlocking into structures.
Not LRR related really. I just always wanted a currency that did that.
http://www.fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
--
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+. Give us a like if you can, it all helps.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 30 Jun 2016, 02:02

So... you're saying that the coins should be Penrose Tiles? ;-)
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 30 Jun 2016, 05:06

I am in support of this idea. Sounds really cool, and the Penrose Tiles reference is really cool.

(Oh, and in case there's anyone who doesn't know -- the earliest ideas for the LRR website had a penrose tiles theme instead of a Commodore 64 theme)
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 30 Jun 2016, 09:08

I have no idea if it is a good idea or what it would be used for, but there are tutorials online for making a custom Bitcoin-like crypto currency and it turns out that is actually not that hard.

Not saying that is happening, but it is something to think about...
Darkflame
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Darkflame » 30 Jun 2016, 13:56

Theres even a generator for them;
http://build-a-co.in/

Meaning theres probably thousands of "currencys" out there used by just 1 person each :D
http://www.fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
--
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+. Give us a like if you can, it all helps.

Return to “General Discussion”