Ghostbusters 2016

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

Are you going to see it?

Yes
7
19%
No
17
46%
Not sure
4
11%
Yes, but not in the cinema
9
24%
 
Total votes: 37
User avatar
Elomin Sha
Posts: 15773
Joined: 22 Feb 2008, 05:14
First Video: Max Effect
Location: Woodford Green, England
Contact:

Ghostbusters 2016

Postby Elomin Sha » 06 Jul 2016, 08:41

In two threads I have pissed people off for having an honest thought. Let's see if I can go for three in a row /poor joke

Adverts for the film has started popping up in my city so I thought a thread should come into being. I'm a little surprised with us, being a bunch of geeks/nerds, we haven't had a talk about the new Ghosbusters film. Are we going to see it? What we think has gone on surrounding it? The Backlash and the Crisis Management.

TL;DR
I'm not watching. I have issues with how the trailers have been presented through poor editing. The lack of comedy, bad script, production and design decisions, and finally the handling of the film. I'm more looking forward to Jason Bourne.


I've been mildly interested in the film when it was first announced but really hesitant because of all the remakes in recent years being pants.

Since before the release of the trailer the handling of the film has been a complete mess. Dan Akroyd trying for years to get a new script greenlit but Sony and Bill Murray stopping it at every point. Luckily we had the Ghostbusters game, which was practically what the 3rd film was going to be.
Not until the death of Harold Ramis did anything start to happen, and Murray's apparent change of heart that after 10 years now was a good time to make the film.

Backlash:

This has been a big one since the release of the first trailer. The vicious down voting into the toilet on Sony's main YouTube channel, and so newer trailers have been released on Sony's international YouTube channels (they haven't faired any better).

The hypocrasy backlash against people who don't like the look of the film.

Example: ComicBookGirl19 was telling people to stay away from the film, going unscathed whereas James Rolph of Cinemassacre saying he won't watch it gets attacked, harrassed and vittriol hurled at his family. Some of the attacks came from big name sites and reviewers.
Even before the whole fractured identity of GamerGate debacle I pay no attention to media sites and their comments at deriding a group (judge an individual not all), as its formed a mob mentality in shouting and not talking. I'm all for ethics in gaming but people who supported an ethical change had years to do anything about it during the first major blow up (Kane and Lynch). Gaming media had been corrupt for years. Anyway, digression.
Sites have come out saying a lot of what I consider stupid and for fans don't want to see the film makes me a sexist, mysoginist, Trump supporter. Where are the editors and proof readers?

Damage Control:

After the release of the first trailer people have been saying that Sony have been deleting comments from the video. Not the trolls or genuine assholes who hate the idea of the film having women in it, but reasonable critiques so to paint the backlash solely on said sexists or trolls.

There's also a 'leak' from someone editing the film of the story. It matches well with the trailers, and if true it doesn't read as something I'd watch. That's taking it as true with a grain of salt.

I can't remember which chat show it was but two of the cast were singing an insulting song towards the angry fans. Not very nice.

Myself:

Personally I'm not going to see it for a few reasons. There are few remakes I have seen that I have enjoyed (Magnificent Seven of Seven Samurai), most I stay clear of (Total Recall) or regretted watching (War of the Worlds, Robocop). It's one of those things that I wouldn't want remade but preferred a continuation instead. There were two jokes that made me chuckle once.

Reasons why I'm not going to see it:
Comedy: Or lack of. The last comedies I saw in cinema were Deadpool, The Other Guys and Tropic Thunder (quite a gap in years). I find that comedy films out of the US have gotten really stupid and producing no humour. And following that, it hasn't been funny watching the Ghostbusters' trailers. Most of what is supposed to be funny are things that are considered childish (vomiting slime), prat fall and shouting loudly. It seems like a shot for shot remake in certain parts (Episode VII had a good way of playing it safe).
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
User avatar
theycallmejokke
Posts: 212
Joined: 26 Jun 2015, 08:34
First Video: Unskipperble: Lost Plant 2 - Part 1
Location: Denmark

Re: Ghostbusters 2016

Postby theycallmejokke » 06 Jul 2016, 08:57

I voted not sure, it will probably come down to whether or not I can get some of my pals to join me, as so fare my impression of the new movie can be summed up as "Eh, could be fun... I guess" but I find movies especially comedies is much better with friends.
"You have the right to remain silent. Mostly because I tire of your excuses."
User avatar
Dutch guy
Posts: 5200
Joined: 11 Feb 2008, 17:12
First Video: History of Halo
Location: Southern Dutch Colonies

Re: Ghostbusters 2016

Postby Dutch guy » 06 Jul 2016, 10:01

Its a definite no for me. Judging from the trailers the whole thing just seems utterly stupid and lazy. Not because they made a remake featuring a female cast but because they just used EVERY stereotype in the book when it comes to character traits. We get "The sexy one", the "geeky one" (complete with dorky glasses), "the gets it done" and worst of all "sassy black lady". Really boring, predictable, stupid trope confirming "sassy black lady"...

You could just try mixing it up people. It's not that hard.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
User avatar
theycallmejokke
Posts: 212
Joined: 26 Jun 2015, 08:34
First Video: Unskipperble: Lost Plant 2 - Part 1
Location: Denmark

Re: Ghostbusters 2016

Postby theycallmejokke » 06 Jul 2016, 10:16

While you're not wrong about the stereotypes, the exact same could be said for the old movies.
"You have the right to remain silent. Mostly because I tire of your excuses."
User avatar
Elomin Sha
Posts: 15773
Joined: 22 Feb 2008, 05:14
First Video: Max Effect
Location: Woodford Green, England
Contact:

Re: Ghostbusters 2016

Postby Elomin Sha » 06 Jul 2016, 10:54

Ernie Hudson wasn't loud and abrasive. He was the voice of reason.

Heve you noticed that Chris Hemsworh is Rick Morranis and Janine all rolled into one.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
User avatar
Prospero101
Posts: 2372
Joined: 26 Jan 2013, 08:19
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune
Location: The suburb of a city that doesn't exist

Re: Ghostbusters 2016

Postby Prospero101 » 06 Jul 2016, 11:13

I want it to be good. I love Ghostbusters, but I don't believe that any work, even a classic, should be enshrined as untouchable. But the more I see of it makes me less and less certain it's going to be worth seeing. I don't like Melissa McCarthy's line delivery, I have NO EARTHLY IDEA what the hell Chris Hemsworth is doing, I hate, hate, HATE the new rendition of the theme song, and WHY DOES SLIMER HAVE A WIFE??
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
User avatar
theycallmejokke
Posts: 212
Joined: 26 Jun 2015, 08:34
First Video: Unskipperble: Lost Plant 2 - Part 1
Location: Denmark

Re: Ghostbusters 2016

Postby theycallmejokke » 06 Jul 2016, 11:15

I totally agree that Leslie Jones' character/role doesn't exactly come of as either nuanced, nor deep but at least it's there Ernie Hudson was the token-ist token black guy that seemed only to be around so the other three could talk at him when the old movies needed to explain something to the audience.
"You have the right to remain silent. Mostly because I tire of your excuses."
User avatar
Elomin Sha
Posts: 15773
Joined: 22 Feb 2008, 05:14
First Video: Max Effect
Location: Woodford Green, England
Contact:

Re: Ghostbusters 2016

Postby Elomin Sha » 06 Jul 2016, 11:17

Wait? What? Slimer has a wife?

Also Ernie Hudson was orginally supposed to be Eddie Murphy originally (I believe).
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
User avatar
theycallmejokke
Posts: 212
Joined: 26 Jun 2015, 08:34
First Video: Unskipperble: Lost Plant 2 - Part 1
Location: Denmark

Re: Ghostbusters 2016

Postby theycallmejokke » 06 Jul 2016, 11:23

Correct I've heard that as well and he actually had a whole background story, about him being a real badass, but when Eddie Murphy didn't accept the role some one in the production got scared that "poor" Ernie Hudson wouldn't be about to keep up so to speak with the three others, and Ernie's role was severely cut.
"You have the right to remain silent. Mostly because I tire of your excuses."
User avatar
Elomin Sha
Posts: 15773
Joined: 22 Feb 2008, 05:14
First Video: Max Effect
Location: Woodford Green, England
Contact:

Re: Ghostbusters 2016

Postby Elomin Sha » 06 Jul 2016, 11:26

Nostalgia bit me and I had to watch this again. Possibly the best of the Ghostbusters cartoons.
Knock Knock: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3mnqge

Kind of annoyed the above version didn't have this track on it as my video cassette copy did during the train ride: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwS5i2BooBc
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
User avatar
Arclight_Dynamo
Posts: 540
Joined: 18 Jul 2014, 12:44
First Video: Desert Bus 1

Re: Ghostbusters 2016

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 06 Jul 2016, 12:35

Nope, I have no plans to see it.

I've heard some bad things from film critics I trust (like MovieBob), and I really can't afford to go out to a theatre for a movie I'm not absolutely pumped for, these days. Shame, but tickets are pricey.

Plus, well, from the trailers, I haven't seen anything that hooked me, really.

The real hell of it is that this film has been turned into yet another battleground for the Nerd Culture Wars. Liking/not liking this film, even before you've seen it, has been turned into a proxy for holding certain social and political beliefs.

And that kinda sucks.

Like... I'm not really interested in this film. At the same time, I'm all for casting more women and POC in prominent roles and IPs. All-female remake? Cool! I'm on board with the concept. But if the movie is one I don't like, I'm not going to see it. It's not because I have an agenda or have an issue with an all-female cast; it's because it's a film I don't want to see, for other reasons.
User avatar
Elomin Sha
Posts: 15773
Joined: 22 Feb 2008, 05:14
First Video: Max Effect
Location: Woodford Green, England
Contact:

Re: Ghostbusters 2016

Postby Elomin Sha » 06 Jul 2016, 12:46

I never even heard of the ladies before the first trailer came out.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Darkflame
Posts: 402
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 05:06
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Re: Ghostbusters 2016

Postby Darkflame » 06 Jul 2016, 12:59

Not unless it gets good reviews.

Two things I thought were bad sign;
1) Its a reboot. Specifically the director said it was a reboot because he didnt want the world in general to know about ghosts - he said it was hard if there was already a world changing event.

To me that demonstrates a _staggering_ lack of imagination. Having a "world changing event" for the "first time" has been done so often. Having the repercussions after decades seems quite a bit more fertile ground. Maybe theres competing Ghostbusters style organizations? maybe ghost insurance is normal? maybe some ghosts are tying to get rights? Theres so many areas you could look into. But no, instead lets do the same thing again!

2) Nothing wrong with having a female main cast. However, they both decided to have a all female cast - and announced that fact - before actually casting anyone. To me this came across a bit as it being some sort of "big idea" - like they wanted to be praised just for that fact.
Yes, we could do with more gender balance in blockbusters - but dont act like its some selling point of a movie.
http://www.fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
--
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+. Give us a like if you can, it all helps.
User avatar
Amake
Posts: 664
Joined: 01 Apr 2013, 00:06
First Video: Le Cafe
Location: North Sweden
Contact:

Re: Ghostbusters 2016

Postby Amake » 06 Jul 2016, 14:10

If it's this important for people to make sure everyone knows why they're not watching a movie, this "big idea" of theirs is clearly something worth encouraging.
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
User avatar
AdmiralMemo
Posts: 7342
Joined: 27 Nov 2011, 18:29
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Contact:

Re: Ghostbusters 2016

Postby AdmiralMemo » 06 Jul 2016, 14:21

Not watching it in the theaters. If someone else has it on DVD or something, I might give it a go for a movie night. But it's not high on my list. It looks pretty bad and I'd probably only enjoy it as a "popcorn movie."

As for why:

  1. Movie tickets are expensive and I'm poor.
  2. It's another. freaking. reboot. I'm sick at this point.
  3. Like Elomin, the trailers' "humor" didn't jive with me.
  4. While I hadn't heard of Kate McKinnon or Leslie Jones before, and had only heard of Kristen Wiig before, I've seen Melissa McCarthy, and am disappointed by the trailers. I know Melissa can do better, having seen her in Mike & Molly and in Spy.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Image
User avatar
korvys
Posts: 2112
Joined: 29 Apr 2013, 14:48
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Re: Ghostbusters 2016

Postby korvys » 06 Jul 2016, 15:06

Yeah, I'll probably see it. The trailers weren't great (the second is better than the first), but honestly, I've seen good movies have crap trailers just as often as bad movies with good trailers, and there's a certain amount of wanting to be part of the conversation.

As for all the drama around it:
There are definitely people who are not seeing the movie because they don't like the idea of the female cast.
There are definitely people who are not seeing the movie because they don't think it will be good.
Most of the people in the first group insist they are people in the second group.
Most of the people in the second group insist they are people in the second group.
I'm sure you see the problem.

There's a certain amount of "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" when it comes to the people who are loudly proclaiming that they won't see the movie.
There are bad movies, and bad remakes, being made constantly. But you decided to make an entire video about not reviewing a movie, on your movie reviewing channel, Mr Youtube movie reviewer man? Something you didn't do for all the other bad movies? You say you would have made the same video if the cast were men? Strangely, I'm not convinced.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
User avatar
Elomin Sha
Posts: 15773
Joined: 22 Feb 2008, 05:14
First Video: Max Effect
Location: Woodford Green, England
Contact:

Re: Ghostbusters 2016

Postby Elomin Sha » 06 Jul 2016, 15:13

What makes you unconvinced? There's that all Male one that is supposed to be coming along that was detailed in the Sony email leaks. I don't want to see that one either.
Loudly proclaim you won't see something is the one of two ways of telling Hollywood to stop with remakes. The other is with the wallet.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
User avatar
Prospero101
Posts: 2372
Joined: 26 Jan 2013, 08:19
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune
Location: The suburb of a city that doesn't exist

Re: Ghostbusters 2016

Postby Prospero101 » 06 Jul 2016, 15:50

Elomin Sha wrote:Wait? What? Slimer has a wife?


Unfortunately, yes. You can Google the latest Ghostbusters TV spot.

Or, rather, don't. Because it's awful.

At this point, I probably won't see it unless it shows up on Netflix. It takes a lot to haul me out to the theaters these days. And this doesn't look like enough.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
User avatar
korvys
Posts: 2112
Joined: 29 Apr 2013, 14:48
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Re: Ghostbusters 2016

Postby korvys » 06 Jul 2016, 16:18

What makes me unconvinced? Context. Other remakes don't get a video from that guy (who's name I can't remember) declaring, well in advance of release, that he won't be reviewing it. They were ignored, or got the the poor review they deserved. But this movie is somehow worth it? What different about this movie? Oh.

It's the same thing as you mentioned about "ethics". There have been ethical problems for years, and it's just a coincidence that thousands of people are suddenly really interested in the topic, just when a woman who had already been harassed for years is now tangentially involved?

Which doesn't help the people who have genuine complaints, cause the other people try to make it as hard as possible to distinguish between them, using the legitimate people, such as yourself, as camouflage.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
User avatar
King Kool
Quality and Quantity
Posts: 5981
Joined: 28 Jan 2008, 19:22
Location: Rhode Island
Contact:

Re: Ghostbusters 2016

Postby King Kool » 06 Jul 2016, 16:19

I get into movies for free, so I've probably got no excuse.

I don't think it looks good, but this year, I've seen so many damn bad comedies this year, it's gotta be better than most of them.
Image
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
User avatar
Elomin Sha
Posts: 15773
Joined: 22 Feb 2008, 05:14
First Video: Max Effect
Location: Woodford Green, England
Contact:

Re: Ghostbusters 2016

Postby Elomin Sha » 06 Jul 2016, 16:26

Ethically the media handling is bad. But it's not about ethics with the film but lack of creativity.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
User avatar
korvys
Posts: 2112
Joined: 29 Apr 2013, 14:48
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Re: Ghostbusters 2016

Postby korvys » 06 Jul 2016, 16:57

Sorry, if that wasn't clear, as usual, I try for brevity, and get obtuse. The references to "ethics" there was nothing at all to do with this movie, but referring to your previous mention of Gamergate, as an analogous event.

Both things have a number of people objecting to stuff for a shitty reason (Ghostbusters: Female cast, Gamergate: Progressive Devs), while saying they're objecting to it for a reasonable reason (Ghostbusters: Movie looks bad/remakes, Gamergate: "Ethics")

Elomin Sha wrote:I'm all for ethics in gaming but people who supported an ethical change had years to do anything about it during the first major blow up (Kane and Lynch)


In the same way as I am skeptical about those who suddenly started to care about "ethics" in gaming when Gamergate popped up, I am skeptical of those who, while they probably weren't fans of remakes before, are suddenly much, much more vocal about it now that Ghostbusters is being made.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
User avatar
Elomin Sha
Posts: 15773
Joined: 22 Feb 2008, 05:14
First Video: Max Effect
Location: Woodford Green, England
Contact:

Re: Ghostbusters 2016

Postby Elomin Sha » 06 Jul 2016, 17:07

More seemed to care when those gaming sites started saying Gamers are dead and trashing the very same people who read their pages. Strange business plan.

I'd say most people are blind until something appears. I'd fall into that category sometimes, very few films I know exist until they come for release.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
User avatar
korvys
Posts: 2112
Joined: 29 Apr 2013, 14:48
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Re: Ghostbusters 2016

Postby korvys » 06 Jul 2016, 17:17

Elomin Sha wrote:More seemed to care when those gaming sites started saying Gamers are dead and trashing the very same people who read their pages. Strange business plan.

We are not doing this.

Elomin Sha wrote:I'd say most people are blind until something appears. I'd fall into that category sometimes, very few films I know exist until they come for release.

Once again, I believe you. I am far more skeptical of others.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
User avatar
Elomin Sha
Posts: 15773
Joined: 22 Feb 2008, 05:14
First Video: Max Effect
Location: Woodford Green, England
Contact:

Re: Ghostbusters 2016

Postby Elomin Sha » 06 Jul 2016, 17:21

korvys wrote:We are not doing this.

Not now. Time for that talk passed.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.

Return to “General Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests