The turkey carving thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

The turkey carving thread

Postby Amake » 19 Aug 2016, 17:33

Since LRL's twitch chat today decided to explode with depth and wisdom again, I think a forum thread is in order. We can think of this as a slightly more directed General Chat thread, where you may post your personal highlights, reflect and respond to those of others, or just stop the ever-flowing gab of chat for a moment and look at what we're doing.

In a good way.

As a rule, it's probably best to be vague if you're going to talk about other people, unless you get their permission. You know Tyler Durden just didn't want "Jack" talking behind his back, right? A reasonable request.

One more rule: You have to at least name one thing you like for any post on a topic of discussion you dislike. I want chat's mainly positive energy to show strongly here.

So the most recent brilliance that springs to mind I think was this discussion about opinions. I myself figured out, then and there, that I admire and respect people who keep changing their mind, who have trouble expressing or even forming a coherent opinion on a matter because they're busy evaluating what they think.

To think about what you think, to speak in further generalities, is one of the most important skills for the preservation and advancement of life on his planet. In my opinion. Why do you know what you know? That most important question.

I think I'm in this world to learn how to see it as clearly as I can.

What's the last or most important thing you've learned about yourself?

What's your last or best memory of chat?
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
handsongammer
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Re: The turkey carving thread

Postby handsongammer » 19 Aug 2016, 17:42

my best memory of chat comes right after my worst. i got into a heated argument/debate with someone, and when neither of us were having any luck getting our points across very well, another person whom i have a lot of respect for now managed to get those points across for me and for the person i was talking to. it was a very pleasant experience overall and left me with an overall positive opinion of chat in general because it led to that debate argument ending and us not just hating each other (as far as i know, i certainly don't hate them)
thorikon
First Video: feed dump

Postby thorikon » 19 Aug 2016, 17:56

In response to the original set of questions, which were as follows [In my opinion. Why do you know what you know? That most important question. I think I'm in this world to learn how to see it as clearly as I can.
What's the last or most important thing you've learned about yourself? What's your last or best memory of chat?]

I know what I know because i've died, and returned. Don't ask me what I saw, because my mind is blank from
the time I entered surgery until weeks later when I awoke and surprised everyone. It has given me new perspective. What my father told me on his deathbed, I now get.

What he told me, in a nutshell, was to have fun in life, and enjoy it. I am happy to say I'm and old guy who loves LRR, and loves to laugh. The chat is unique, and I've not found any chat like it on twitch (although Kate's is close). Your brand of humor is right up my alley, and you're real folks with real lives, and who have fun. I've learned I can have fun, and be friends with total strangers, and be concerned for them, and laugh with them, and help them in some small way when they need it. My best memory of chat is the time alone with Cam when he did the stream solo. It was an awesome evening, and his wisdom while painting was fun and informative.

Thorikon
OLD RPGer
Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Yes it's the embarrassingly sincere chat appreciation thread

Postby Amake » 19 Aug 2016, 18:12

Re. handsongamer, I'm happy for you. And while we're at it I had better ask if I was one of those people? I can recall you and I and some number of other people had a pretty passionate argument not long ago. And as I don't remember anything more than that I'm sure it must have been a pretty unnecessary argument, and I apologize for my as I recall unfriendly tone. It could have been that I was feeling existential terror about the still far too great popularity of presidential candidate Donald Trump

I could add, on a personal note, I see in you an individual of integrity and even-handedness and I'd like there to be no ill will between us, at least if it was just over some poorly expressed opinions in the heat of the moment. Just to clear the air.

(By the way I'm All mankind in chat if anyone had missed that.)

Re. Thorikon, I don't know what to say to that except thanks for sharing.
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
handsongammer
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby handsongammer » 19 Aug 2016, 19:00

no mankind/amake it wasn't you this happened a good couple of months ago. the thing with you and a few others was relatively ok imo, and with the exception of the person calling someone else a gamergater and a few other negative things for their opinion i feel like everyone was quite respectful in that argument. and yeah the popularity of the presidential candidates is quite terrifying (i'm not a fan of either personally and am glad im canadian, our pm isn't perfect but at least he's trying to do good and doesn't have any major controversies around him)

Return to “General Discussion”