Psychiatric history- does this automatically disqualify me from joining?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Taralewis3051
First Video: Taralewis

Psychiatric history- does this automatically disqualify me from joining?

Postby Taralewis3051 » 28 Jul 2018, 03:01

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum so I hope I am posting this correctly. I have wanted to join the army for many years but assumed they wouldn't take me due to my psychiatric background.

Basically, I have been on some sort of anti-depressant and/or mood stabilizer since I was a teenager, although I have never been actually "diagnosed" with any specific disorder. I have been hospitalized twice in the past (voluntarily). The first time was very brief- my mind and body went into shock after a traumatic domestic violence incident. A few years later I returned to a treatment center for about three weeks because I had severe bulimia and could not stop cutting myself (I know both were coping mechanisms in retrospect). I don't engage in either behavior any longer and haven't for many years. The last major issue that worries me regarding enlistment is the fact that I am currently on federal disability. Several years ago my doctor urged me to consider it, she sent in her professional recommendation that I be placed on psychiatric disability and I was approved .
I am not proud of any of this in my past, or my present, but the past is over and I am trying to remedy the present to build a better future.

Does anyone know if I even have a chance to join considering all of this information? Hypothetically, if I were able to safely stop taking my psych-medications and discontinue the disability, would that make any difference?

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!
Last edited by Taralewis3051 on 30 Jul 2018, 21:31, edited 2 times in total.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Re: Psychiatric history- does this automatically disqualify me from joining?

Postby Dutch guy » 29 Jul 2018, 03:30

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to be asking this sort of stuff. I don't think any of us are in any way qualified to be answering these questions. If anything I would urge to talk about it with an actual trained mental health professional/doctor.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 01 Aug 2018, 06:33

I think the only folks here who could even potentially answer this are Hosk and maybe Dix.

My own experience is that I was rejected from joining the Army twice in 2001 due to taking Dexadrine. That's all I know personally.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

johanlarson
First Video: The Return of the Bill

Postby johanlarson » 11 Oct 2018, 00:16

It's hard to say. I have heard of people getting rejected because of anti-anxiety medication. On the other hand, I've heard of people getting waivers for felony offences when the services really needed people. Obviously, if you could stop taking the medicines, that would be hugely in your favour, but you might need to be off them for quite a while; I seem to remember one guy who was rejected for being on Ritalin being told he needed to be off it for a year.

I think you need to discuss this with someone who actually knows rather than just speculating, which means a recruting officer.

Return to “General Discussion”