Film studies

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
GHOVO
First Video: 1337. I think

Film studies

Postby GHOVO » 27 Nov 2006, 04:47

We are doing Film Studies at my college and we wrote a script for a serious muder film. One of my colleagues forgot his line and instead of asking "Do you want the body?" he asked "Can I kill him with a train?" Now we want to do a comedy? It's for a competition and so want to try something different. The director doesn't want to do a comedy. What should we do?

P.S if i could get the clip could you judge what you think of the "trains" gag?
HMNSHLD
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby HMNSHLD » 27 Nov 2006, 07:06

Comedy is ALOT harder (Im sure the LRR guys and gals can testify to that), so be warned.
browncoat

Postby browncoat » 27 Nov 2006, 07:54

That reminds me of a performance of "Wilhelm Tell" I did in school.
One of my co-actors said his line one line before he should have, so his "Me too." was extremely funny.
I don't remeber why, though.

It became an insider joke at school, if anybody said "Me too" we'd all laugh ^^
Can't take the sky from me. Again.
dark_realm
Aussie Auto Annihilator

Postby dark_realm » 27 Nov 2006, 07:56

to do a serious film is easy, but to do a serious film well enough to win a competition is hard a hell! but to make a fairly decent comedy is easier then a really good serious film.. but thats just me..

in my multimedia class we couldn't write a decent murder mystery film, but could whip up a really good funny one in a matter of minutes.. anywho... go with what feels right..
CaPpY wrote:dark_realm really is a jerk....
Morgan
LRR Crew

Postby Morgan » 27 Nov 2006, 10:51

bear in mind that i've never made a serious film, but it strikes me that it would be a lot harder than comedy.
umbrellaless

Postby umbrellaless » 27 Nov 2006, 11:49

One of the musicals we did in high school was Bring Back Birdie (sequel to Bye Bye Birdie)...opening night our lead female accidentally combined the line "He's a man worth fighting for" with "He's a fool and so am I" and sang out loud and clear "He's a man...and so am I!"
"When you do not speak, other people presume you to be deaf or feeble-minded and promptly make a show of their own limitations"
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 27 Nov 2006, 12:46

It's pretty easy to make a mediocre comedy that is funny to you and not too many people though. Comedy is hard.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 27 Nov 2006, 13:37

To do the best comedy, you have to be good at drama. That's why you get people like Robin Williams and Jim Carrey who are ostensibly hilarious, but can be incredibly dark when directed well.

However, my vote for your project is do comedy.
For student films, if it goes poorly, people are a lot more forgiving of bad comedy than bad drama. At least they can laugh.
magic toaster of destiny

Postby magic toaster of destiny » 27 Nov 2006, 23:53

if it goes bad in a comedy say that was the joke.
sure i'le sign your solar plexus!
GHOVO
First Video: 1337. I think

Postby GHOVO » 28 Nov 2006, 01:39

I have a few ideas. But will be difficult to do for a NO BUDGET film.

Also I wanna buy a mac. I have used a PC since '98. I just wanna do film work and editing on the mac. And use the PC for everything else e.g gaming, internet, forums. What Mac should I get?
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 28 Nov 2006, 09:55

In terms of cost-to-awesomeness, the iMac is your best bet.
Paul just got one, it's pretty.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 28 Nov 2006, 10:51

umbrellaless wrote:One of the musicals we did in high school was Bring Back Birdie (sequel to Bye Bye Birdie)...opening night our lead female accidentally combined the line "He's a man worth fighting for" with "He's a fool and so am I" and sang out loud and clear "He's a man...and so am I!"

Ha. In my performance of Bye Bye Birdie (What a Coincidence :o) There were supposed to be Fried eggs on the table, so when Mr. McAffee is yelling, he says "AND I JUST LOST TWO FRIEDE EGGS!!", but when he got on stage, all there was was a Banana. So he ended up yelling "And I just lost....A banana?!?!".
Alright, so it's not that funny. But all of the cast loved it :)
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009

Return to “General Discussion”