V for Vendetta

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
JesterJ.

V for Vendetta

Postby JesterJ. » 28 Dec 2006, 13:43

I realize I'm about a year late in seeing this movie, but it completely blew my fucking mind! That's officially my favorite movie now...Christ it was awsome.
Am I too late seeing it for this thread to actually be posted in?
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Kawaiicaps

Postby Kawaiicaps » 28 Dec 2006, 14:16

It's a little late but I don't mind...

I rented it a while ago and I really liked it too. Francis and his brother hated it so bad beucause all they could see the the comparison to bush, Honestly I think they were looking too hard and it ruined the movie for everyone else. Luckily I know how to ignore my husband....

-^_^-
Pirateboy

Postby Pirateboy » 28 Dec 2006, 15:24

Pirateboy says you should read the comic.

It blows your mind ten times as much as the movie.
I wish I was Canadian...
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 28 Dec 2006, 15:30

Yeah there were so many references to the current administration (The drugs for instance) but it was great.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 28 Dec 2006, 16:03

If you really want your mind blown, try The Invisibles. It's not suitable for a long-term relationship, just a one-night-stand, but it's fun while it lasts.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 28 Dec 2006, 16:17

The thing about V though is the symbolism, plot, action, all that is amazing..it's just mindblowingly awsome.
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 28 Dec 2006, 20:12

I was actually just talking about this to a friend of mine. What totally made it for me was the music. I'm a big music person, and there was only one song that I didn't know in the whole thing.

When the 1812 Overture came on very quietly over the loud speakers I was like "1812 overture! Dude! I love that!" And then I started to hum along with it. It made me happy.

Also, Hugo Weaving is my hero.
The_Watchman

Postby The_Watchman » 28 Dec 2006, 22:16

Awesome movie. You should check out the comic if you enjoyed it, it's even better, though different in a lot of places.
I think so Brain, but if they called them Sad Meals, then kids wouldn't buy them.
The Happy Friar

Postby The Happy Friar » 28 Dec 2006, 22:18

the ONLY gripe I have on the movie is that it focused on the anti-gay part of the govt. IMHO, they should of spread out the hate some more to Muslims, Jews, kkk, etc. They had the opportunities they just never used them.

but besides that, top rate movie. Great comeback for the two who did the matrix!
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 28 Dec 2006, 22:20

They did use them - it was focussed on the gay thing because there was a main character who was gay.

Also, it was from the comic ^_^

JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 28 Dec 2006, 23:33

My one peeve about it, and it's a big one, is the ending credits. Not the ending credits themselves, but the music playing during them! It just completely ruined the feel of the whole movie for me...The whole soundtrack was great, it used some great classical/older songs, and then they take some crappy new song and slap it on at the end; completely against the feel of it.
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 29 Dec 2006, 16:21

I actually remember feeling the same way. I really liked the animation in the credits, though.

Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 29 Dec 2006, 16:27

The Happy Friar wrote:the ONLY gripe I have on the movie is that it focused on the anti-gay part of the govt. IMHO, they should of spread out the hate some more to Muslims, Jews, kkk, etc. They had the opportunities they just never used them.

They did - didn't you see the scenes at the processing center? There weren't any ethnic-looking Arabs, Jews, Africans, etc. left - they were all dead, they were all dead Dave.

Being homosexual isn't something that's clear from appearances. Granted, neither are religious opinions much of the time, although being Muslim or religiously Jewish more so than usual. But gayness can be hidden, so gays are the group the government would still be persecuting.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
'"
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 29 Dec 2006, 17:31

3mm4 wrote:I actually remember feeling the same way. I really liked the animation in the credits, though.

I liked it as well...for what I saw. I shut it off after about 20 seconds because of the stupid music!
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 29 Dec 2006, 17:43

I think a lot of the reason it took such heavy enphesis on Homosexuality is because it's such a huge debate currently.

Also the reasons mentioned below by Melendwyr.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 29 Dec 2006, 17:53

Banana Phone

Something else that blows minds.
'"
Dana

Postby Dana » 29 Dec 2006, 17:55

>_<

ENOUGH OF THE BANANAPHONE!!!!

You're a bad person, Melendwyr.
"I swear it," said the other mother. "I swear it on my own mother's grave."

"Does she have a grave?" asked Coraline.

"Oh yes," said the other mother. "I put her in there myself. And when I found her trying to crawl out, I put her back."
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 29 Dec 2006, 22:27

Dana wrote:You're a bad person, Melendwyr.

Tell it to the Banana Phone, because the Chinese Gooseberry ain't listening.
'"
The_Watchman

Postby The_Watchman » 05 Jan 2007, 18:36

About the gay thing... the importence of the scene wasn't that she was gay. It could of been any of the people they wanted to eliminate. If you foucs on that, then you might miss the point of the scene. Plus, yeah...that exactly the way it was in the book.

Now the credits, I loved. Thought the music fit, and was cool to look at. But then again I'm a pretty big Rolling Stones fan.
I think so Brain, but if they called them Sad Meals, then kids wouldn't buy them.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 05 Jan 2007, 22:11

But it didn't fit at all with the feel of the movie..
The Hitman

Postby The Hitman » 06 Jan 2007, 00:02

For what it's worth, I actually really liked this movie, and I don't really like a lot of movies.
"Just another Sunday paddleboat ride on a man-made lake with another lady stranger; if I remain lost and die on a cross, at least i wasn't born in a manger."
umbrellaless

Postby umbrellaless » 06 Jan 2007, 00:31

I didn't enjoy this movie as much as I probably could have, because I watched it too soon after reading the graphic novel. The comic blew my mind, for sure. The movie accurately represents the issues that the novel brings to light, as well as does a good job of modernising some of Alan Moore's ideas to make them more relevant today. But the characters were simplified and the plot was sensationalised, robbing the movie of the depth and beauty I found in the book and ultimately alienating me from it.
"When you do not speak, other people presume you to be deaf or feeble-minded and promptly make a show of their own limitations"
Mouse

Postby Mouse » 11 Jan 2007, 15:51

I didn't really like it. I felt a bit cheated at the end. Sort of like...that's it? I was expecting something big and profound that didn't happen. And also I became very very confused.

~Mouse
-Holy kleenex, Batman, it was right under our noses the whole time!
-Satan wears a bucket hat!
-If tin whistles are made of tin, what are fog horns made of?
-Lewis has AIDS
-Meddle ye not with dragons, for ye are crunchy and good with ketchup
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 11 Jan 2007, 16:14

Umm... the ending was pretty much the coolest thing ever.

JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 11 Jan 2007, 23:33

I loved the ending, it was fantastic. You want to know a confusing movie? Watch Syriana and then turn it off when ***CHARACTER NAME*** Blows up.
Trying to figure out wtf was going on without seeing the end SUCKS.

Return to “General Discussion”