R.I.P Wii (Screw the New Year) :(

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Kara
First Video: The Bet

R.I.P Wii (Screw the New Year) :(

Postby Kara » 01 Jan 2007, 11:45

So last night I was out for some New Years Eve fun. I spent the night at my friends house, my brother worked until late and my parents were at a party.

So at about 1:50 in the morning, I get a call on my cell phone from my mom and hear that my brother came home to find my house had been broken into and not only had my PS2, ALL of my video games and DVDs and my Camera, one of our wide screen TVs and many other things been stolen, but also, my new Wii I'd gotten for Christmas was taken away from me.

So this morning I woke up with a small hangover and came home at 8 AM after being up until roughly 4 yesterday.

In any case, my brother who works at Wal-Mart has promised to talk to the people in the Electronics Department and hopefully I'll be the first to get a Wii in their next shipment. But still, that 40 hours I spent on Zelda has been lost and can never be retrieved from whatever fucking heroine addict stole it in the first place and will surely bring it to a nearby Pawn Shop in a matter of days.

R.I.P my precious Wii. You'll be missed and never forgotten.
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 01 Jan 2007, 12:04

Dude, that sucks harder than something that just sucks incredibly hard.
-Wraith
Kara

Postby Kara » 01 Jan 2007, 12:22

Yes, it really does. It's a fucking Christmas Miracle, no?
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 01 Jan 2007, 13:07

Man, that really fucking sucks.
Did you know the serial number or anything on any of the items? You can report them to the police or something, pretty sure there's a database the Pawn Shops have to check to see if their shit is stolen.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Kara

Postby Kara » 01 Jan 2007, 13:08

JesterJ. wrote:Man, that really fucking sucks.
Did you know the serial number or anything on any of the items? You can report them to the police or something, pretty sure there's a database the Pawn Shops have to check to see if their shit is stolen.

We had some. Like, all of the Christmas stuff we got and everything. But for something like my camera we have NO clue. Most of the bigger things we have serial numbers for, and we already had the cops over this morning and stuff. Insurance people tomorrow.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 01 Jan 2007, 13:11

Well at least you have that stuff.
But holy shit you have my condolences. Especially having to go through 40 hours of the same stuff you've done if you want to get any farther :(
Kara

Postby Kara » 01 Jan 2007, 13:21

My hope is that I'll be able to take MANY hours off now that I know what I'm doing. The thing is, I REFUSE to use an FAQ unless I've been on the same part for a certain amount of time, so it kind of ate up my time a bit. Still, those heartpieces and such are just a pain in the ass.

I plan on spending a couple of days just wandering through Pawn Shops in Vic for missing stuff.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 01 Jan 2007, 13:28

Sounds like a good plan, if you have plenty of extra time :x Good luck.
umbrellaless

Postby umbrellaless » 01 Jan 2007, 15:33

Aw, that really sucks. *big hug* for support!

A similar thing happened to my parents. They were in Victoria for the holidays, but flew back to the UK on Saturday only to find that their whole neighbourhood had been raided while they were away, with their car used as the getaway vehicle. The police recovered the car nearby, choc full of plasma screen TVs. Nothing was stolen from the house but the car keys. Oh, the holidays...
"When you do not speak, other people presume you to be deaf or feeble-minded and promptly make a show of their own limitations"
YamaroV2

Postby YamaroV2 » 01 Jan 2007, 15:44

That is -no- way to spend new years. I know how pawn shops work, there's only about three of them in town, and I'm very familiar with two of them. I'll see what I can do. What's the make/model of the camera?
No longer your barrel-rolling monkey.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 01 Jan 2007, 15:53

umbrellaless wrote:Aw, that really sucks. *big hug* for support!

A similar thing happened to my parents. They were in Victoria for the holidays, but flew back to the UK on Saturday only to find that their whole neighbourhood had been raided while they were away, with their car used as the getaway vehicle. The police recovered the car nearby, choc full of plasma screen TVs. Nothing was stolen from the house but the car keys. Oh, the holidays...

the "Choc full of plasma screen TVs" made me giggle, strangely. That's unforunate that they happened to use yours as the getaway vehicle.
So the whole block got raided? Scary.
Kara

Postby Kara » 01 Jan 2007, 19:43

YamaroV2 wrote:That is -no- way to spend new years. I know how pawn shops work, there's only about three of them in town, and I'm very familiar with two of them. I'll see what I can do. What's the make/model of the camera?

I had a Kodak Easyshare one. But yeah, tomorrow I'm probably gonna go checking the Pawn Shops, but I have to stay home alone for most of the day while my family's at work and wait for the insurance people to come over and stuff. I'm hoping my mom'll come home early and give me a ride over to downtown to check it out with me.

Yeah, if you see a Wii around in a Pawn Shop, 90% chance it's mine.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 01 Jan 2007, 19:48

Are there any kinds of markings on it?
Oh and I don't really know a lot abotu Wii's, would there be any special identification? System name, memory, anything?
YamaroV2

Postby YamaroV2 » 01 Jan 2007, 21:27

You got it. I'll check the memory for a zelda save file, as well.
Kara

Postby Kara » 02 Jan 2007, 11:21

On my system memory it should be called Mog Wii I believe. And yeah, there'll be a Zelda File and a Marvel Ultimate Alliance File.

So the cops just left again and I passed on all of the serial numbers we could find, including the Wii. So now there's supposed to be a 500% better chance that they'll track it down. If they do, they can retract it as stolen property and I'll get it back, so yay! I can hope.
brc64
First Video: 1337

Postby brc64 » 02 Jan 2007, 12:02

Do you have any type of homeowners insurance to cover anything that can't be found and returned?

As far as the Zelda stuff goes, I don't know how much help this is, but there's a collection of save files available at http://www.wiisave.com/index.php?cid=30. You probably won't find one that gets you caught up exactly where you were, but there may be something close.

At any rate, good luck, and I hope you get all of your stuff back.
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 02 Jan 2007, 12:10

Check out the local pawn shops and see if you can find it. If you do you might be able to convince the onwer ist yours and someone stole it somehow if you have receipts and what not. Or the infromation stored on it might prove its yours. Then you can find out who stole it via the store owner and fix everything. Slim chance, but its worth a try.
YamaroV2

Postby YamaroV2 » 02 Jan 2007, 12:35

I just did my rounds around town, I couldn't find your camera or your Wii (I got them to check the records and whatnot.) That does suck big time. I hope everything gets recovered. My advice is to just file the police report ASAP if you haven't done so already and pray for the best.

(I know how it feels, the year I got my gamecube it almost got cat-burglared that same new years, but the fucker dropped it on the way out, didn't get anything else cause I woke up mid-rob.) Best of luck to you, though.
Kara

Postby Kara » 02 Jan 2007, 12:41

Thanks for the link. I'll probably put it to use.

Beyond that, the police file has been put out. Insurance people are coming in a matter of hours to check out the broken window and to get our list of missing stuff.

I've just gotta sit around a wait for the afternoon and hope for the best. But we've lost about 6000 dollars worth of stuff. Insurance Company should give us a pretty good sum of that back.

I appreciate your looking Yam. Thanks for trying.
YamaroV2

Postby YamaroV2 » 02 Jan 2007, 13:10

No problem. Try to have a happy wintereenmas.
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 02 Jan 2007, 23:43

We used to get our house burglarized CONSTANTLY. I had six or seven bikes stolen. My brother lost his backpack that was chock full of magic cards, we had a leased car stolen (I found that one a few blocks away, though^_^) and god knows what else.

I got into my car a few days ago and all the doors were open and the contents of the glove box were all over the seats.

FUCKING PEOPLE.

Basically that rant was to say that I feel your pain to a lesser extent. Also, people are douches.
Kara

Postby Kara » 03 Jan 2007, 11:28

People used to break into my dads old car and steal his CDs all the time, but now people don't care about CDs anymore cause they don't sell for as much.

But apparently they also stole all of my Dads Golf Clubs now, which I hadn't even known before. So this brings the whole thing to near 6000 dollars in stolen stuff.
Johnny_Lunchbox

Postby Johnny_Lunchbox » 06 Jan 2007, 02:15

See, this is why I stand over all of my worldly belongings constantly with a scowl and a big wrench.
"Yeah, I had it pretty hard growing up. I guess that's why I turned to accounting." - SB&M
The Hitman

Postby The Hitman » 06 Jan 2007, 11:30

He hasn't slept in weeks, but his stuff is safe.
"Just another Sunday paddleboat ride on a man-made lake with another lady stranger; if I remain lost and die on a cross, at least i wasn't born in a manger."
Kara

Postby Kara » 06 Jan 2007, 12:15

I love the strategy Johnny.

As an update, none of our stuff has showed up. I've been trying to get ahold of a Wii somehow without resorting to eBay, but with minimal success.

We just got our 1337 new security system installed, though we're still waiting for our Window to be fixed. (It's been boarded up and everything.)

Return to “General Discussion”