Video game expiry date

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Kawaiicaps

Video game expiry date

Postby Kawaiicaps » 27 Jan 2007, 13:48

Last night I finally beat shenmue 2!
I know what you're all thinking... that game is 6 years old and sorta crappy. Well, I have a long story as to why I actually endured through it this last few months but I won't get into that now.

Point and question is, Is there an expiry on games? There's always something new to come out and eventually that old game sits on your shelf and no mater how much you think you'll get back to it you never ever do. Everyone has games like that. When is it too late and you decide to trade it in?

-^_^-
YamaroV2

Postby YamaroV2 » 27 Jan 2007, 13:50

Expiry... Date?

Dude, ask Graham on that, he's still got his C64, if I remember correctly.
No longer your barrel-rolling monkey.
Lacerta
Affable Marmot
First Video: How to Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Lacerta » 27 Jan 2007, 13:58

If you're talking about actual monetary trade-in/eBay value, all games depreciate incredibly quickly. But in terms of replay value, a good game can last forever. Unless an updated better version of the exact same game comes out. So no one plays, say, Civilization I any more, but people are still playing Super Mario Bros.
semper fidelis tyrannosaurus
basscomm

Postby basscomm » 27 Jan 2007, 18:19

For me, games don't really expire after any length of time. I never know when I'm going to want to play a round of Jupiter Lander or Skate or Die 2 or whatever else.

You crit the English Language for 1337 damage.
English Language dies.
zombine
Location: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

Postby zombine » 27 Jan 2007, 19:03

i have a few games that im trying to beat, but I generally have a few rules as to this.
1:is there a problem with the actual game disc(scratch,read errors) that prevent you from playing
2:is the problem lying not in your ability, but in the programmers stupidity(why cannot i pick up ye flask)
3:did the game have some other flaw(bad check points, crappy AI or terrible load time) that make it unplayable.

Generally these will stop me from playing a game, and i have 4 games for PS2 alone I know Im never playing again.
The Happy Friar

Postby The Happy Friar » 27 Jan 2007, 20:46

YamaroV2 wrote:Dude, ask Graham on that, he's still got his C64, if I remember correctly.

I'd have mine to but it was involved in a car accident. :( However... I do have a modem for one & at one time logged into my BBS with it. :D

Lacerta wrote:If you're talking about actual monetary trade-in/eBay value, all games depreciate incredibly quickly. But in terms of replay value, a good game can last forever. Unless an updated better version of the exact same game comes out. So no one plays, say, Civilization I any more, but people are still playing Super Mario Bros.

I'd say that really depends. Doom 1/2 for GBA goes for ~$50/60 in most e-bay auctions. But I've never traded in/sold a game. I've given a couple away that wouldn't run in Win2k w/o being a pain (like WarCraft 2... man, that upset me), but that's it. I still have most of my game boxes from the 90's too. :)
The Thrill

Postby The Thrill » 27 Jan 2007, 21:03

I've actually been playing Fallout 2 for the last couple weeks. I would definitely say that games don't have an expiry date as long as the gameplay is there. Because let's face it, Fallout 2 is absolutely badass despite the rather bad, by today's standards, graphics. Now that I'm thinking of it I kind of want to go back through all of my old games and find Zork Grand Inquisitor.
I'm a very boring person.
Patch

Postby Patch » 28 Jan 2007, 06:19

Personally, I don't think there's an "expiry date" on games, per se. Just take a look at Xbox Live Arcade. Recently filled with the likes of Doom, Contra, Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Gauntlet, et al.
And people are buying them as well. I've got 6 people in my friends' leaderboard for Contra by itself. Just one look at the high scores lists are enough to see. Contra has nearly 70,000 people on the leaderboard alone.

No, no expiry date on games. Unless you do what I do, and keep playing a game until you master it, and then never play it again, unless you're bored. Given that Total Annihilation took me 3 years to master, means I get a lot of time with them :)
Oh, and anyone who can help me do the sodding laboratory on Beyond Good and Evil, hook me up with some tips ;) That game evades my "leet skillz" :(
miakosummin

Postby miakosummin » 28 Jan 2007, 15:06

There are a number of old games, mostly the rare, unheard ones, that are still very hard to find on ebay for less then twice their original cost...
rom_ripper

Postby rom_ripper » 28 Jan 2007, 17:45

ok, i will say no, the reason, Final Fantasy vii, a game which still gets high on all time best games lists. i still think RPGs will still be judgeed against this game in 10 years.
Novak>The Legend that is.
blackdragontaz
The Goddamn Batman

Postby blackdragontaz » 28 Jan 2007, 18:15

OMG you just beat Shenmue 2?! That game took me forever to beat. And the ending was a big let down. But on the topic at hand...I never trade in games. I've only done it once because I absolutely hated the games. Otherwise I keep all mine. I still have my SNES with MK2 and Mario RPG. (which were my first games and gaming system ever)
dark_realm
Aussie Auto Annihilator

Postby dark_realm » 28 Jan 2007, 20:51

the expiry date of a game is when you play it, it is waay to easy and u get perfect everything i think...
CaPpY wrote:dark_realm really is a jerk....
Patch

Postby Patch » 29 Jan 2007, 03:09

rom_ripper wrote:ok, i will say no, the reason, Final Fantasy vii, a game which still gets high on all time best games lists. i still think RPGs will still be judgeed against this game in 10 years.

Mainly because the characteristics of an RPG are different to those of a 1st, 3rd, or side scrolling shooter. RPGs are measure on their storytelling, and the ability to keep a player engrossed for a certain amount of time. You get some master storyteller make a game, like Final Fantasy 7, and you set a new benchmark. Most RPGs are measure against the Final Fantasy series, mainly because Square Enix has so much love for them, seeing as it was the series that moved them from liquidation (When they were still Squaresoft), to a developement studio that could instantly bring millions of fans to a console, just by signing a long term contract for games.
Femme

Postby Femme » 29 Jan 2007, 03:15

I saw an E-Bay auction with 670 odd NES games. 5000 bucks,
that was..
ALOT of games.
"I never hated a man enough to give him his diamonds back"
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 30 Jan 2007, 16:49

I saw one with what they claimed to be all games. 36 grand. Which doesn't sound like that much really.
"It's nice to think that before "Adam and Eve", there was "Earl Grey""
Under13

Postby Under13 » 31 Jan 2007, 07:01

I think my parents sold my old Sega Master System at a garage sale for, like, $20...with about two dozen games, two controllers, and the gun.

I'm still kinda miffed about that. I never got around to finishing Wonder Boy or Zillion, and I really wanted to...
<>{
Patch

Postby Patch » 31 Jan 2007, 07:27

Emulate that badboy then :P

Oooh, Master System, eh? I had my own controller by default. I could use the joystick, which was actually a left handed controller, despite the fact that I'm fully right handed. If it was left plugged in, it'd get unplugged if someone else played it :D
Under13

Postby Under13 » 31 Jan 2007, 07:38

Emulators! *forehead slap* Why didn't I think of that...?

Move over, NESticle...
<>{
Kawaiicaps

Postby Kawaiicaps » 31 Jan 2007, 09:19

Some games are definitly more rare than others. that's for sure.

-^_^-
Mouse

Postby Mouse » 31 Jan 2007, 10:06

C'mon! I still play Megaman and dumb computer games like that (never was one for video games).
-Holy kleenex, Batman, it was right under our noses the whole time!
-Satan wears a bucket hat!
-If tin whistles are made of tin, what are fog horns made of?
-Lewis has AIDS
-Meddle ye not with dragons, for ye are crunchy and good with ketchup
Kawaiicaps

Postby Kawaiicaps » 31 Jan 2007, 10:37

you can play pretty much anything on a computer now thanks to emulators so if you perfer the keyboard that's a good way to do it.

-^_^-

Return to “General Discussion”