LoadingReadyDungeon - LRR D&D Talk

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Alex Steacy
First Video: Beats me! No seriously Graham hits me.

LoadingReadyDungeon - LRR D&D Talk

Postby Alex Steacy » 09 Feb 2007, 07:45

Alex's Dungeons & Dragons Campaign
The story thus far...

Be it known that a band of three promising adventurers have banded together to seek their fortune in lands afar. They are Puff, the dashing and beautiful bard girl; Vidar, the sullen and irritable Elven rogue; and Drevin, the gnomish druid.

Hitching a ride atop a wagon bound for the big city, they were waylaid in their journey by an opportunity to test their mettle for the first time...

Act 1 - "The Gobbling Of Castle Cove"

An unhappy village beset by goblin raiders that had taken up residence on Castle Cove, a small island in the overlooking inlet, Westhaven was a perfect chance for our heroes to begin carving a name for themselves.

On their first night in town, while talking to the locals, the group were set upon by a small raiding party. Springing into action, Puff, Drevin and Vidar drove the goblins off, bringing one of their wounded in for interrogation. After gathering some knowledge about the invaders' leader, their captive fled and was lost at sea.

At this time, the stout, axe-wielding Dwarf Belgeon Irongart arrived on horseback. Joining with the party, they planned together to rid the town of their assailants. The following morning, the goblins attacked again, and were cut down the same. Two survived this time, and were both taken captive and questioned under closer scrutiny. Promise of treasure arose, and it was decided to strike the island at nightfall.

In the evening, the band piled into a boat and crept toward the island, slipping in unnoticed. After some sneaking in the woods, a cunning diversion was sprung by setting part of the goblin encampment ablaze. With the night guard in disarray, the group moved in for the kill, striking with fierce surprise and removing the dreadful Bugbear "Boss" from command.

With their leader dead, morale was finally shattered and the entire goblin force turned to panicked retreat. The heroes collected the treasure and hijacked the goblin longboat, leaving the stragglers to flee in rowboats.

Act 2 - "Stolen goods and Strangers"

With a sense of victory at hand, the group returned to shore with their swag intact. A search of the haul revealed many valuables, including a small wooden box that refused to open.

Alas, the winnings would be short lived, as when the party returned to the Inn to rest, they were met by a sinister figure and his henchwomen. Cid, and his aides Tolaris and Lataris coerced Vidar into handing over the mysterious box, and decided to claim the rest of the treasure as payment for insults suffered. The group were impaired by dark magic and were powerless to stop the theft of their hard-won loot, but were left one mocking lead: A jeering remark of meeting again at the Capital city...

Alex Note - I'm going to try to keep a sort of journal of the group's exploits so that anyone can refer to it to see what's been going on. If any of this sounds inaccurate or could use improving, please tell me!
Last edited by Alex Steacy on 05 Mar 2007, 21:24, edited 2 times in total.
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 09 Feb 2007, 07:53

I have never played D&D before, but I would like to try... so sure!
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 09 Feb 2007, 08:15

I'm game, or we could do it over Irc. Since voice chat isn't for everybody.
"It's nice to think that before "Adam and Eve", there was "Earl Grey""
blackdragontaz
The Goddamn Batman

Postby blackdragontaz » 09 Feb 2007, 10:16

That would be awesome! I just happened to purchase a 2G flash drive that has Skype installed on it, so I'm ready for voice or IRC whichever seems more popular.

How would we keep a Char sheet over the internet? That's the only thing I could see as a problem. Ohh, and dungeon layouts...maybe.
The Hitman

Postby The Hitman » 09 Feb 2007, 10:55

I would consider playing, but I don't think I have the time for internet games these days.

Also, I'm not entirely convinced that the "LoadingReadyDungeon" Isn't some kind of scary, secret sex dungeon.
"Just another Sunday paddleboat ride on a man-made lake with another lady stranger; if I remain lost and die on a cross, at least i wasn't born in a manger."
Kawaiicaps

Postby Kawaiicaps » 09 Feb 2007, 11:00

That sounds like tonnes of fun! I'm sure you can do it right alex.
Once I tried to play over IRL but the DM was a moron and thus the game lacked. So the pressure is on!

-^_^-
Patty McPat
First Video: I Dont Remember...it was so long ago

Postby Patty McPat » 09 Feb 2007, 11:16

Fuck...that's all I can say...here I've been in Ottawa all by myself wanting someone to play D&D and when an opportunity finally arisses I don't have the means to do so...Fuck the internet lets all just find an alternate dimension where time has no meaning and play there...problem solved...FUCK!!!
:mrgreen:
"When God closes a door, punch him in the face"

-Patty-
Jer
LRR Crew

Postby Jer » 09 Feb 2007, 11:58

I've been fooling around with the Battlegrounds demo and it seems like a good solution. No voice chat, but it handles dice and the grid map well.

Of course, it's also not cheap :S.
The Hitman

Postby The Hitman » 09 Feb 2007, 12:01

Aren't half of us engineers? Let's write something for gaming.
"Just another Sunday paddleboat ride on a man-made lake with another lady stranger; if I remain lost and die on a cross, at least i wasn't born in a manger."
The Hitman

Postby The Hitman » 09 Feb 2007, 12:02

On second thought, that would probably be a lot of effort.
browncoat

Postby browncoat » 09 Feb 2007, 12:30

I've done that for months, with my old RPG group after I moved away.
It works like a charm, the GM has some maps and images on a webserver, you send him you character as PDF and all's well.

EDIT: I won't be playing with you, though, too much timezones inbetween ; )
Can't take the sky from me. Again.
Alex Steacy

Postby Alex Steacy » 09 Feb 2007, 12:33

True enough. Well, if people have trouble with Voice chat, I see no reason not to use IRC, seeing as how well that's taken off.

Sounds like a lot of people are interested... Though I find that keeping the play groups small tends to make things run smoothly. But there's no reason not to have several games with different DMs going on.

Now, as for an actual game... Does anyone have any preferences? I think just for starting we should stick with some basic D&D dungeon stomping just to work out the kinks. I'm thinking maybe a 6th level pc crawl with a party of three or four?

Feel free to call dibs on classes, and for those of you who don't have access to the D&D books, I have them all in PDF format and can probably upload them to an FTP somewheres. For those of you who haven't a clue about how to begin, I'll help write up a character and we can run it like that.

As for online character sheets... I was thinking people could write them up in MS word or as a pdf and share them... Unless there's a better way of keeping track of it. (Cross-platform please, I'm a Mac user.)
Patch

Postby Patch » 09 Feb 2007, 12:41

Although I'm not massively interested in D&D anymore, I will say just this one thing...

It's got +9 to ogres!
One Bot to rule them all,
And in the darkness lag them...
Alex Steacy

Postby Alex Steacy » 09 Feb 2007, 12:46

LOL
Discomonkey

Postby Discomonkey » 09 Feb 2007, 13:08

Haven't ever been that into D&D, but I'd probably be willing to join a game, if someone wants I can DM a game of All Flesh Must Be Eaten or d20 Call of Cthulhu.
Patch

Postby Patch » 09 Feb 2007, 14:19

Dice rolling commanded added to the bot.

Uses .roll <number of dice> <sides on dice>.
Example.
.roll 2 6
Rolls 2d6. Outputs to whatever channel that .roll is said in, so it won't clog up the normal channel (unless you start spamming it in there :P)

Vidar

Postby Vidar » 09 Feb 2007, 16:40

I'm not sure if I could join games, being at +8 GMT, but I'd like to. My timetable is, however, usually flexible, especially on weekdays.

I'd prefer something like Traveller Interstellar Wars or a modern setting, but for a D&D dungeon crawl I'd prefer playing a rogue or scout if you'd allow it. Standard Faerun would be fine as a setting, I'm not picky.

Will the ability scores be standard point buy, or...?
The misfortune of the wise is better than the prosperity of the fool. -Epicurus... or was it ME!?

[Roger, back on The Island]
Link

Postby Link » 09 Feb 2007, 16:58

I've always wanted to try D&D, but have never been able to do so. I'm totally in.

Also, I'll volunteer my website's bandwidth to host anything needed(D&D books, character sheets, etc.)
Add me on MSN if you want to set something up.
browncoat

Postby browncoat » 09 Feb 2007, 17:24

In my experience voice chat works far better than text-chat, because, at least for me, RPG is about immersion.
Typing != Ogre-Slaying ^^

I have some very nice charsheets for Word, but they are German : /
Can't take the sky from me. Again.
Tensen01
Sketchasaurus Rex
First Video: Who Watches Movies?

Postby Tensen01 » 09 Feb 2007, 18:24

Dude, if I had voice chat I would be all over that.
Vidar

Postby Vidar » 09 Feb 2007, 18:46

I agree voice is the best, Skype's free to use if it's between computers right?
The misfortune of the wise is better than the prosperity of the fool. -Epicurus... or was it ME!?

[Roger, back on The Island]
Link

Postby Link » 09 Feb 2007, 20:10

Why not setup a Ventrilo or Teamspeak(preferably ventrilo) server, and have everyone connect to that?
Discomonkey

Postby Discomonkey » 10 Feb 2007, 03:37

Also, hosting the books is a great idea.
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 10 Feb 2007, 06:00

Link wrote:Why not setup a Ventrilo or Teamspeak(preferably ventrilo) server, and have everyone connect to that?

Because my computer i a little whacky when it comes to usage of such apps. The mic never works and so forth.
"It's nice to think that before "Adam and Eve", there was "Earl Grey""
Patch

Postby Patch » 10 Feb 2007, 06:03

And we have our first hax0r of the dice rolling script on the bot...

(23:53:11) (@AgentPjotrMan) .roll 4 6
(23:53:12) (@LRR-Bot) Roll 1: 6
(23:53:12) (@LRR-Bot) Roll 2: 6
(23:53:12) (@LRR-Bot) Roll 3: 6
(23:53:12) (@LRR-Bot) Roll 4: 4
(23:53:12) (@LRR-Bot) Total: 22

Given that you ditch the lowest. OMG 18 STAT!!!oneoneone

Return to “General Discussion”