Daylight Savings Time Change

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
blackdragontaz
The Goddamn Batman

Daylight Savings Time Change

Postby blackdragontaz » 16 Mar 2007, 15:51

Hey guise! Does Canada follow the DST time change the same as America is now? I noticed the my computer clock was an hour ahead of the forum's time even though the time zone was still the same? If you don't know what I'm talking about read this.
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 16 Mar 2007, 15:55

We moved our daylight savings time ahead to save energy - and apparently, you did too. I don't know why it would be different...
blackdragontaz
The Goddamn Batman

Postby blackdragontaz » 16 Mar 2007, 16:02

3mm4 wrote:We moved our daylight savings time ahead to save energy - and apparently, you did too. I don't know why it would be different...

Maybe the forum didn't get the message.....*shrugs* I just thought it was weird and wondered if anyone else was having anything similar happen.

P.S. - 3mm4 I love you avatar, so hilarious.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 16 Mar 2007, 21:45

blackdragontaz wrote:Maybe the forum didn't get the message.....*shrugs* I just thought it was weird and wondered if anyone else was having anything similar happen.

The forum is based on Greenwich Mean Time, and in the UK, they haven't done DST yet. Apparently, the americas (aka USAers and Canadians) decided to do it themselves.
dark_realm
Aussie Auto Annihilator

Postby dark_realm » 16 Mar 2007, 22:06

the forum never changes its time, i always have to put my settings to +11 (My time is usually +10..) when in daylight savings time for it to be correct...
CaPpY wrote:dark_realm really is a jerk....
Kate!

Postby Kate! » 16 Mar 2007, 23:27

I hate Daylight Savings.

You know those clocks on your iPod?

I have Vancouver [closest to Victoria possible], London [family there who I call sometimes] and Brisbane [someone v. important to me there].

Because Brisbane is in Queensland, and they apparently don't observe Daylight Savings, I put it so it was the correct time there, but somehow it made the Vancouver time incorrect.
And my computer didn't change either.
So I changed it myself.
And then it fucked up my iPod even more when I plugged it in to update.

It's all very confusing.
Just let it be known that:
A. My time on my iPod is incorrect.
B. Brisbane time is correct.
C. I am confused about how to fix it all.
D. I hate Daylight Savings.

Bah.
Misty
The Goddamn Batman
First Video: Suspend Your Disbelief

Postby Misty » 16 Mar 2007, 23:37

Squiddy wrote:I hate Daylight Savings.

ME TOO :evil:
Fumbles

Postby Fumbles » 17 Mar 2007, 03:54

daylight savings suck. I hate the fact that when I get up at 7 it's still dark outside. It makes me fell alot more tired. That and whenever I train in the morning i train in the dark and always run/cycle/row into something.
"I'd like to say to all the people of Australia - Kick me, I'm different."- Ron Hitler Barassi

emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 17 Mar 2007, 07:18

It saves energy!

Apparently.

Dana

Postby Dana » 17 Mar 2007, 12:07

Daylight Savings is the stupidest idea that the Americans ever proposed, and Canada is even stupider for following along with it. The number of daylight hours does not change because we set our clocks an hour ahead. Also, now people who get up early for work are using energy for an extra hour in the morning, instead of the evening. Where are the savings, I ask you.

Also, changing when daylight saving occurs caused all kinds of problems for network admins everywhere. Windows machines everywhere had to be patched to deal with the whim of the government (although, intersetingly enough, Macs, and Linux machines had no problem with the change). I lost an hour of productive time at work because I had to patch my work machine without installing IE 7, becuase IE 7 will break software that I use every day.

In short, Daylight Savings is a pain in the ass, and we should be like the Peace Region in BC, and just not do it.
"I swear it," said the other mother. "I swear it on my own mother's grave."

"Does she have a grave?" asked Coraline.

"Oh yes," said the other mother. "I put her in there myself. And when I found her trying to crawl out, I put her back."
DarkMidget

Postby DarkMidget » 17 Mar 2007, 15:21

Yeah! What's the point of it if we also switch back >_> There is NO POINT!!! NONE! ZILTCH~! ZIPPO!!
"Every work of art throughout history would be improved by the addition of ninjas" - Unknown

Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 17 Mar 2007, 15:26

Dana wrote:Daylight Savings is the stupidest idea that the Americans ever proposed, and Canada is even stupider for following along with it. The number of daylight hours does not change because we set our clocks an hour ahead.

The number of generally-useable hours, however, does change.

Also, now people who get up early for work are using energy for an extra hour in the morning, instead of the evening. Where are the savings, I ask you.
With the people who don't get up so early - which is the majority of the population.

Duh.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
Dana

Postby Dana » 17 Mar 2007, 18:35

I find that most people start work at 8:00-9:00 in the morning in the morning, if they live in the city. Which means they are up around 6:30 in the morning, especially if they have a long commute. It's now dark at 6:30 in the morning again where I live, therefore the energy used by the majority of the population has changed.

Basically, if you are a grown-up in the real world, you get up fucking early during the week.

"Oh yes," said the other mother. "I put her in there myself. And when I found her trying to crawl out, I put her back."
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 17 Mar 2007, 19:14

Dana wrote:It's now dark at 6:30 in the morning again where I live, therefore the energy used by the majority of the population has changed.

Changed, yes - but it's lighter, longer. And people are likely to get more benefit out of the longer light at the end of their day than longer darkness at the beginning.

Basically, if you are a grown-up in the real world, you get up fucking early during the week.

I'm a grown-up in the real world, and there's plenty of light when I get up. Thanks to Daylight Savings, there's light when I get out of work, too.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 17 Mar 2007, 19:28

It's NOT COOL when you have to get up for school an HOUR EARLIER! I have to leave my house by fucking 7:30 every morning and that reverting to 6:30 ISN'T FUN.

FUUUUCK YOOOOU DAYLIGHT SAVINGS!
Vidar

Postby Vidar » 17 Mar 2007, 20:08

Places that don't use daylight savings seem to do fine, no?

One thing to do would be to change the work or school schedule at different times of the year... but that would probably confuse the masses.

I'd really like to see the amount of change in energy consumption between DST and no DST, anyone know of any info?
The misfortune of the wise is better than the prosperity of the fool. -Epicurus... or was it ME!?

[Roger, back on The Island]
The Hitman

Postby The Hitman » 17 Mar 2007, 23:51

Melendwyr wrote:I'm a grown-up in the real world, and there's plenty of light when I get up. Thanks to Daylight Savings, there's light when I get out of work, too.

Some of us have some motherfucking science to do in the mornings, and science doesn't like to get started until it's good and ready and has had at least three cups of coffee.
"Just another Sunday paddleboat ride on a man-made lake with another lady stranger; if I remain lost and die on a cross, at least i wasn't born in a manger."
Dr Frankenjam

Postby Dr Frankenjam » 18 Mar 2007, 05:18

Melendwyr wrote:I'm a grown-up in the real world, and there's plenty of light when I get up. Thanks to Daylight Savings, there's light when I get out of work, too.

"Daylight Savings. Opening the window to a brighter tomorrow"

"Would you like to know more?"
owl+ bungee cord= my arse
First Video: I do not remember it was years ago.

Postby owl+ bungee cord= my arse » 18 Mar 2007, 06:59

I only had a problem with Daylight Savings once, the last time the clocks went back I woke up a hour early and only found out when I turned on the news. All because no one in my fucking family couldn't take 5 fucking seconds to tell me but they take all they waking hours talking (which is more like yelling because they are half deaf) about shit which is no use to anyone! But when I know about it the day before I'm fine with getting up a hour early or late.
Dana

Postby Dana » 19 Mar 2007, 19:06

[quote="Melendwyr"]Changed, yes - but it's lighter, longer./quote]

You must have a problem with your brain being missing. There is the same number of hours of daylight before and after daylight savings. Daylight savings does not make the number of daylight hours increase, it just makes the daylight hours more convenient for a small portion of the population.

In fact, they completely ignore daylight saving in Saskatchewan, I understand. Why, you ask? Because it doesn't help them at all. They are farmers, and they get up when it gets light. Honestly, I see no problem with everyone else doing that too, if having all that daylight is really that important to them.

Or just leave it on Daylight savings all the damn time, and stop with this stupid mucking about with time changes.

Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 19 Mar 2007, 19:46

Dana wrote:You must have a problem with your brain being missing. There is the same number of hours of daylight before and after daylight savings. Daylight savings does not make the number of daylight hours increase, it just makes the daylight hours more convenient for a small portion of the population.

1. I get up a 6:30 am. I like going to work in the dark. I get to see the sun rise, and I feel very virtuous getting up in the dark.
I like the extra daylight in the evening.
Also, living in an area where they don't do daylight savings is incredibly annoying, because you are going against the rest of the world, and you switch time zones twice a year.

Only flatlanders and rural crackpots don't do daylight savings time. Also Australia, because they want extra darkness, as they are strange.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
NecroVale
Card-Carrying Cool Person
First Video: Door to Door

Postby NecroVale » 19 Mar 2007, 23:00

Kathleen wrote:
Dana wrote:You must have a problem with your brain being missing. There is the same number of hours of daylight before and after daylight savings. Daylight savings does not make the number of daylight hours increase, it just makes the daylight hours more convenient for a small portion of the population.

1. I get up a 6:30 am. I like going to work in the dark. I get to see the sun rise, and I feel very virtuous getting up in the dark.
I like the extra daylight in the evening.
Also, living in an area where they don't do daylight savings is incredibly annoying, because you are going against the rest of the world, and you switch time zones twice a year.

Only flatlanders and rural crackpots don't do daylight savings time. Also Australia, because they want extra darkness, as they are strange.

But night is the best time of day. :P

Personally, I vote that instead of changing an hour twice a year, we change it a half hour that way not only does it not need to be changed anymore, and the day and night people all win.
Allen! wrote:I know, it confused and aroused me.
Also made me hate him more.

Fumbles

Postby Fumbles » 20 Mar 2007, 02:10

Kathleen wrote: Also Australia, because they want extra darkness, as they are strange.

we feed on the darkness. But no we actually have it aswell
"I'd like to say to all the people of Australia - Kick me, I'm different."- Ron Hitler Barassi

Chris
First Video: a 3D short shown at Film Fest in 2003?

Postby Chris » 20 Mar 2007, 11:26

As much as daylight savings bothers people, one of the reasons we switched over early was to save energy... so i guess thats a good thing all around. but then again, there is the 'cost' or annoyance of having to change all the clocks..

Oh squiddy if you need to change the clock on your ipod, check this website out, its very straight forward. but im not sure it will help with your issue, you might just have to wait until march 25th

http://macs.about.com/od/ipod/a/ipod_clock.htm
- Offical First Fan to Recognize Paul and Graham (LRR) -

Red Charlie

Postby Red Charlie » 21 Mar 2007, 02:59

Ah live with it the government(s, across the world) isn't going to change DST any time soon, infact only the French have done in my recent memory, that is, abandoned DST.
It was really too big:

I give you this instead

Return to “General Discussion”