Tragedy...Prayers are Needed.

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Tragedy...Prayers are Needed.

Postby tak197 » 16 Apr 2007, 12:28

For those of you who have not heard yet, there was a shooting today at Virginia Tech, leaving at least 30 dead and 29 injured. Government officials are calling this 'the deadliest rampage in US history'. I am not too sure about what is going on with everyone in Victoria in reacing to this news, but as a forum, as small as we are, we need to be praying and supporting those affected by this tragedy.

Please post any reactions, comments, and thoughts on this thread.

Tim
Student, Penn State University
YamaroV2

Postby YamaroV2 » 16 Apr 2007, 12:34

Saw it, freaked at having family there, everyone I know's okay. But damn it sucks.

What's WORSE is that JACK FUCKING THOMPSON is already blaming it on videogames. Asshat.
No longer your barrel-rolling monkey.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 16 Apr 2007, 12:36

The Globe and Mail wrote:“The President believes that there is a right for people to bear arms, but that all laws must be followed,”
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Dr Frankenjam

Postby Dr Frankenjam » 16 Apr 2007, 12:42

Bloody hell.
I'm not a religious person so i dunno who i'd be praying to but my heart goes out to anyone involved. And my condolences go to the families of those that took the brunt of the attack.
Kawaiicaps

Postby Kawaiicaps » 16 Apr 2007, 12:54

they're showing a live press confrence right now on NBC. this is fucked up

-^_^-
Alex Steacy
First Video: Beats me! No seriously Graham hits me.

Postby Alex Steacy » 16 Apr 2007, 13:23

Welcome to Amerikka.

Jack Thompson should die of cancer. Every time I hear about him blaming one of these tragedies on Games I just want to smash him in the face with a chunk of concrete.

Whoops, I guess I've been playing too much Doom 2!

In sincerity, I would like to take time to feel sympathy for the victims, but that's really difficult when you have a fiendish opportunist like him exploiting people's misery and death to push his fucking agenda.
Anachronism
Ret-con'd: Incorrect

Postby Anachronism » 16 Apr 2007, 13:24

YamaroV2 wrote:What's WORSE is that JACK FUCKING THOMPSON is already blaming it on videogames. Asshat.

That's fucking worse? Really? THAT'S FUCKING WORSE than 33 people dead? Watch what you say.

That goes for everyone. It's a terrible tragedy that has befallen our campus but while condolences and welcome, I urge you to hold any other comments on the incident while the investigation is ongoing. Our reputations is already hurt by this and false/uninformed speculation on the matter isn't going to help any. I love this school so please hold your tongue.
To LRR is human.
Kawaiicaps

Postby Kawaiicaps » 16 Apr 2007, 13:24

but they just said like.... 30 minutes ago that they dont know who did it or why or if there was more than one gunner ect ect ect.

In other words, how can you blame anything at this point?

-^_^-
Alex Steacy

Postby Alex Steacy » 16 Apr 2007, 13:27

Kawaiicaps wrote:but they just said like.... 30 minutes ago that they dont know who did it or why or if there was more than one gunner ect ect ect.

In other words, how can you blame anything at this point?

-^_^-

I think we're just saying we hate it when assholes like Jack use awful disasters like this to further their cause.

32 dead is horrible. Someone exploiting that fact to push an idiotic vindetta is just insult to injury.

It's dreadful that people have died, but I don't think it tarnishes anyone's reputation apart from whatever nutjob did it.
YamaroV2

Postby YamaroV2 » 16 Apr 2007, 13:32

Anachronism wrote:
YamaroV2 wrote:What's WORSE is that JACK FUCKING THOMPSON is already blaming it on videogames. Asshat.

That's fucking worse? Really? THAT'S FUCKING WORSE than 33 people dead? Watch what you say.

That goes for everyone. It's a terrible tragedy that has befallen our campus but while condolences and welcome, I urge you to hold any other comments on the incident while the investigation is ongoing. Our reputations is already hurt by this and false/uninformed speculation on the matter isn't going to help any. I love this school so please hold your tongue.

Yeah, I couldve phrased it a -lot- better. more or less, what alex said is my stance.
No longer your barrel-rolling monkey.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 16 Apr 2007, 13:39

To those of you who know my writing (if at all), you may find what I am about to post to be out of character and somewhat strange, but I feel it's very pertinent.

I wrote this in a fit of anger some weeks ago after reading the latest news of that day, and again, reading today's news, I felt a dull echo of the emotions that brought this rant into existance.

Today I learned of an arms depot explosion in Maputo, Mozambique. The other day I read that a world leader died of a heart attack, and I can't even recall which country he led. Planes are falling out of the skies, buses are being bombed, children are being raped, wars are being waged, and every second another bullet is fired. And I sit here numb and hateful, brimming with helpless fury, a kind of rage that is neither violent nor moving, but an utter lack of understanding so great that I cannot but wish to ask why. But I don't ask why, because there is nothing to tell me why. There is no rhyme or reason to it. It is the chaos inherent in the world we've built.

Everything we do is a measure of our personal worth. And to be honest, the majority of humanity is not fit to live. To hell with you all, to hell with this flawed system. It leaves my soul battered and empty, and my heart bitter and raging. And because of that I absolutely must show you compassion. I must love you despite the disgust that wells in my heart for you and everything you symbolize. Only with optimism can I break this cursed cycle of death, ignorance, hatred, violence, humanity. So put down the damned gun and talk to me. Kill me if you must, but start caring for once in your life, and become a better person. That is my purpose. That is my place. It may well be that it will take a miracle to save this world, but we've got one if we simply choose to use it.

Keep hope alive folks. The events of today are just the tip of the iceburg. Life is going to keep on being ugly. If we let hope die, then all is lost.

~Alja-Markir~
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 16 Apr 2007, 13:49

Alja-Markir wrote:And to be honest, the majority of humanity is not fit to live.

Sadly, it's the majority who aren't fit to live that kills off the minority who is.
I can't think of a signature.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 16 Apr 2007, 13:50

CyberTractor wrote:Sadly, it's the majority who aren't fit to live that kills off the minority who is.

And we have to show them compassion exactly because of that. Without compassion, they can never realize what is actually happening, or do anything at all to change it.

It's bitingly ironic...

*sighs*

~Alja-Markir~
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 16 Apr 2007, 14:37

Anachronism wrote:That's fucking worse? Really? THAT'S FUCKING WORSE than 33 people dead? Watch what you say.

More than thirty-three people die every day of things far more horrible than crazed gunmen. It's just that they don't usually all die at once, creating a single incident which our minds then focus on.

Cram it.

Oh, and to put this in perspective:

The worst day ever at Virginia Tech is a pretty good day in Baghdad.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 16 Apr 2007, 14:42

Melendwyr wrote:
Anachronism wrote:That's fucking worse? Really? THAT'S FUCKING WORSE than 33 people dead? Watch what you say.

More than thirty-three people die every day of things far more horrible than crazed gunmen. It's just that they don't usually all die at once, creating a single incident which our minds then focus on.

Cram it.

No, dude, he shouldn't cram it. If you noticed the location under his avatar, you would know that he is in Blackburg, likely AT VIRGINIA TECH, so he has a right to be upset. And besides, the tragedy of those who die of events unlike this one isn't being downplayed, it's just the concept that where you think you are safest is sometimes the most dangerous.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 16 Apr 2007, 15:00

My friends brother goes to V Tech. This is exactly as he said on another forum:

My brother goes to school at Tech in the Civil Engineering department where the shooting happened. Today he woke and found that it was cold and really windy so he decided to skip class. 2 hours later this crazy shit happens. The guy that he normally sits next to in class was shot in the back and had the bullet come out of his neck. Coincidence that he decided to skip his fist class all year? I don't think so.

I don't quite understand the last part, but he is religious. Anyways, that guy that normally sits next to him was one of his good friends, and had been to his house like 6 or 7 times.

I definitely feel for everyone going to V Tech and any families or friends of students there. Good luck guys, pull through!
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
eiopqrtuwy
Smartest SpamBot Ever
First Video: Rejected 'Get a Mac' Ad's

Postby eiopqrtuwy » 16 Apr 2007, 15:51

Melendwyr wrote:More than thirty-three people die every day of things far more horrible than crazed gunmen. It's just that they don't usually all die at once, creating a single incident which our minds then focus on.

Cram it.

Dude, Give him a break.

If you have critism of the media or society that you need to vent about that has been brought to light by this event: Please Do.

But there is no need to make personal attacks or crude remarks towards Anachronism.
Come on, be a little bit more respectful.
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 16 Apr 2007, 16:22

Melendwyr wrote:

Cram it.

Everything is relative. There is always something worse. If we treat every bad thing that happens as something insignificant only because there are worse things as well, nothing would ever seem important.

Yes, there are lots of people dying in Baghdad and other places. But that doesn't make this any less sad. All of these people - here in North America or in Baghdad or whatever - are people, and none of them deserved to die. They all deserve your respect, if not your tears.
Alex Steacy

Postby Alex Steacy » 16 Apr 2007, 16:59

Melendwyr wrote:

Cram it.

That was out of line.

So... What, because there is death and destruction in other countries far worse than what anyone experiences here, we lose any right to be upset at anything that happens here? By that rationale, one shouldn't shed a tear if their mother gets shot to death in front of their very eyes because that's nothing compared to the mayhem happening daily elsewhere.

If you have an entirely Macroscopic view of everything, you'll wind up ignoring events in your own vicinity.

And don't EVER tell a grieving person to "cram it". Save your political shit for later when they've had a chance to cope.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 16 Apr 2007, 18:05

Melendwyr wrote:

Cram it.

By your logic, 9/11 was just a pinch in the arm!
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
The Happy Friar

Postby The Happy Friar » 16 Apr 2007, 18:30

very very sad. I always wonder why a person who feels they shouldn't live anymore takes others out with them. Never do understand that.
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 16 Apr 2007, 19:06

Wow, I was shocked when I saw the news.

And I agree, any person losing their life is a sad thing. End of story.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
blackdragontaz
The Goddamn Batman

Postby blackdragontaz » 16 Apr 2007, 19:34

I caught it at the worst place. I was surfing 4chan and there were quite a lot of pictures of weird things, nothing tragic (some where actually kinda humorous), but a lot had to do with VTech. Then the news pics started showing up and then I realized something serious had happened.

I can't imagine what those people are going through and can only wish them peace and solace to them.
DarkMidget

Postby DarkMidget » 16 Apr 2007, 20:05

I agree.. and Mel, that WAS a lot out of line. You always seem to have an opinion against people, but instead of stating it in an opinion point of view, you seem to put it in a 'matter of fact' point of view and tell people to shove it in their asses, or cram it. That's pretty goddamn ignorant. ANY death is bad. We're not saying that the stuff in Afghanistan ISN'T bad, but that this is ALSO bad.

So for frick's sake, give people a bloody break from your forceful attitude for once and show some respect.
"Every work of art throughout history would be improved by the addition of ninjas" - Unknown

CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 16 Apr 2007, 20:49

DarkMidget wrote:Mel, that WAS a lot out of line.

Show some respect.

Shortened for emphasis.
I can't think of a signature.

Return to “General Discussion”