Rubik's Anyone?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
eiopqrtuwy
Smartest SpamBot Ever
First Video: Rejected 'Get a Mac' Ad's

Rubik's Anyone?

Postby eiopqrtuwy » 18 May 2007, 02:40

Do any of you solve rubiks cubes?
If so how fast?

My personal best is 46 seconds(LUCKY) , but average around 70 seconds
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 18 May 2007, 05:29

haha i used to know how, but i forget the algorithm.... i can get one side, but then i forget how to get the corners of all the others in the right place...

anyhoo, anyone solve the four or five sided.... i have a friend who actually solved the four sided one...
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 18 May 2007, 06:59

I have a rubik's cube and have managed to get one side solved as well as the line bordering it on each side, but I can't seem to get any further.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Kawaiicaps

Postby Kawaiicaps » 18 May 2007, 08:41

I have never solved one. There's a trick to it

-^_^-
eiopqrtuwy
Smartest SpamBot Ever

Postby eiopqrtuwy » 18 May 2007, 10:25

Matt wrote:I have a rubik's cube and have managed to get one side solved as well as the line bordering it on each side, but I can't seem to get any further.

-m

Wow, one side CORRECTLY. That's actually much better than the average person since few people realize the importance of the bordering line.

While its plausible that you could get the next row down on your own with a some effort, actually solving the whole thing without help is much more extreme. On the other hand, it only takes a few hours to learn if you have someone teach you.
korri

Postby korri » 18 May 2007, 10:36

the next step after solving one side is to get the corner pieces in the right place... but not necessarily facing the right way ...this is the part i forget how to do...

then you get them to face the right way, and solve the bottom, (assuming the top is the face you already solved) then theres another pattern thing you go through to get everything in the right place...

i used to have this all written down, but in my infinite brilliance, i lost it...
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

eiopqrtuwy
Smartest SpamBot Ever

Postby eiopqrtuwy » 18 May 2007, 11:44

korri wrote:the next step after solving one side is to get the corner pieces in the right place... but not necessarily facing the right way ...this is the part i forget how to do...

then you get them to face the right way, and solve the bottom, (assuming the top is the face you already solved) then theres another pattern thing you go through to get everything in the right place...

i used to have this all written down, but in my infinite brilliance, i lost it...

Algorithm for switching two corners is: R'D'RFDF'R'DR

the neat thing with rubik's cubes is there isn't a 'correct' way to do it and there are quite a few completely different methods used by different people. What you described is similar to what I do, but not necessarily the same.

I do First layer and Second layer one piece at a time, then the Last layer: Corner permutation; Corner orientation; Edge orientation & permutation.
Using really only 3 algorithms and minor variants there of.
Last edited by eiopqrtuwy on 18 May 2007, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
zombine
Location: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

Postby zombine » 18 May 2007, 12:11

I rip off all the stickers and put them back on later
eiopqrtuwy
Smartest SpamBot Ever

Postby eiopqrtuwy » 18 May 2007, 12:47

zombine wrote:I rip off all the stickers and put them back on later

NOOOOOOOOOOO!! don't do it! :cry:
If you're going to cheat at least cheat properly. :D Take it apart and put it back together.:!:

To take it apart twist one side 45 degrees then slide a knife or key under one of the edge pieces and 'pop' it out (might take a some force but it won't break) the adjacent corners should then come out easily and allow you take out the rest of the pieces. Put it back together with the pieces in the right place and no one will know the difference (no wear on stickers).

Note: If you take it apart and put it back together randomly it is very likely to be impossible to solve, (a nice prank to pull on someone who is just learning, although people who do them a lot will figure it out)
korri

Postby korri » 18 May 2007, 13:52

eiopqrtuwy wrote:Algorithm for switching two corners is: R'D'RFDF'R'D

umm.. can you explain what the letters mean, i think its r=right, d=down, and f=forward, but i don't get what you do when you just say one of them... ok, I totally hope you understood what the fuck i was saying....

eiopqrtuwy
Smartest SpamBot Ever

Postby eiopqrtuwy » 18 May 2007, 14:40

korri wrote:
eiopqrtuwy wrote:Algorithm for switching two corners is: R'D'RFDF'R'DR

umm.. can you explain what the letters mean, i think its r=right, d=down, and f=forward, but i don't get what you do when you just say one of them... ok, I totally hope you understood what the fuck i was saying....

Rough translation: I'm a rubik's nerd.

Actual meaning:
Standard cube notaion assigns a letter to each side of the cube based on how you're holding it
L = left, R= right, F = front, B = back, U = up, D = down image
I typically hold the cube with the color I started with on top (the U side)

The letter tells you which face to twist and in which direction: by itself it means a single clockwise twist , the apostraphe indicates a single counter clockwise twist, and a 2 means two consecutive twists (direction doesnt matter).

So to switch two adjacent corners on the bottom you would twist right side counter clockwise (R'), bottom counterclockwise(D'), right clockwise(R), front clockwise(F), bottom clockwise(D), front counter clockwise(F'), right counterclockwise(R'), bottom clockwise(D), right clockwise(R).

which in short hand is: R'D'RFDF'R'DR
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 18 May 2007, 15:02

I remember I was at my grandparent's house last summer, and I figured it out one night really late...like I could make a cube from one side get to the other, and still have all the others around it be the same as they were prior to moving (if that makes sense). I figured I'd remember it in the morning.....I didn't.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 18 May 2007, 15:11

i dont know what's happening anymore
eiopqrtuwy
Smartest SpamBot Ever

Postby eiopqrtuwy » 18 May 2007, 15:33

Lavos wrote:http://www.rubiks.com/cube_online.html
beat that and ss.

I beat it but there is no 'you win' screen, and I don't feel like taking tons of screenshots of the intermediate steps.
Kawaiicaps

Postby Kawaiicaps » 18 May 2007, 17:33

eiopqrtuwy wrote:
Lavos wrote:http://www.rubiks.com/cube_online.html
beat that and ss.

I beat it but there is no 'you win' screen, and I don't feel like taking tons of screenshots of the intermediate steps.

Is that so? Hmmmm... in that case

I beat it too. I just can't prove it

Not saying you didn't do it man. that's cool. but I did it too

-^_^-

Return to “General Discussion”