Camera

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Mouse

Camera

Postby Mouse » 29 May 2007, 14:39

My old camcorder copped out on me. I NEED a new one to film this summer. I would like something a little more...sturdy. And perhaps also that translates better onto larger screens. Any suggestions?

PS: I'm poor.
-Holy kleenex, Batman, it was right under our noses the whole time!
-Satan wears a bucket hat!
-If tin whistles are made of tin, what are fog horns made of?
-Lewis has AIDS
-Meddle ye not with dragons, for ye are crunchy and good with ketchup
jtaylor
ASCII Ninja
First Video: Talk Like a Pirate

Postby jtaylor » 29 May 2007, 14:47

Slightly used camcorder from place such as the ebay?
Mouse

Postby Mouse » 29 May 2007, 15:05

jtaylor wrote:Slightly used camcorder from place such as the ebay?

Uh, yes. That's where I was headed. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear: I was wondering also at what kind of camcorder people might suggest

-Lewis has AIDS

Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 29 May 2007, 15:13

Mouse, I would recommend using Newegg.com instead. I go to them for most electronics. They're useful because they're cheap, they ship efficiently, they gaurantee items, they have a huge selection, and they also have one more really useful feature:

Each and every item listing can be and likely has been commented on by previous buyers. You can read the comments and find out what other people thought, and from that figure out if it's worth your time. No sketchy E-bay sellers (Liek new! Srsly!), you know exactly what you buy and exactly what people think about the product.

So for example I bought a pair of new headphones. I was looking at about five different headphones, but reading the comments narrowed it down to the two that weren't way flimsier than they looked. From those two I read the comments and found out one was large and comfortable (I have a big head) with a silly force feedback system (which could be disabled, while the other one was cheaper but smaller and people reported poor sound quality. So I went with the first.

Anywho, I'm gonna browse Newegg for ya and see if I can't spot some camcorders I might buy, and let you know what I find.

Edit: How poor are we talking? Also, digital camcorder, or would analog do? I'm not seeing many new digital camcorders for less than $200+ USD. Although the ones I am seeing for that kind of money are pretty decent looking.

~Alja-Markir~
Captain_Anarchy
FOOLED YOU!!!

Postby Captain_Anarchy » 29 May 2007, 15:56

That's all well and good if you live in the states. That site doesn't ship to anywhere else. If it did, with exchange rate and shipping, it turns out to be basically the same price as buying stuff here.

Per Mouse's question, I would suggest staying away from the DVD camcorders if you like to edit, they tend to just be more annoying than useful.
My hand to God. Baby geese. Goslings. They were juggled.
-Wash
The Happy Friar

Postby The Happy Friar » 29 May 2007, 16:34

get a MiniDV one. :) 3CCD if you can, those are MUCH better then the 1CCD ones but cost more.

b&h in NYC are good. www.bhphotovideo.com

I used them to get my current camera.

but give a price & recommendations come a flowing.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 29 May 2007, 16:37

They only ship in the US eh? Hmm. Well, I'll have to remember that. I was hoping to move back to Perth in a few years...

~Alja-Markir~
jtaylor
ASCII Ninja
First Video: Talk Like a Pirate

Postby jtaylor » 29 May 2007, 17:29

I would recommend one with an internal hard drive.
I haven't owned a video camera, so I'm not much help, but a hard drive seems much easier than tapes or discs. Or perhaps one that uses flash memory cards for storage.

Actually, I just saw this which is less than $300
Product page here
You also might want to check out the Sanyo Xacti
The Happy Friar

Postby The Happy Friar » 30 May 2007, 06:05

it's easier, but you must delete things to get more space (a duh in two respects), it's normally mpeg4 & the quality normally isn't up there with DV.

Same issues with DVD camcorders. They're great for recording but not for editing.

Unless you're talking a really high end HDV or DV camera that records HDV or DV to a hard drive. Then those are damn fine pieces of equipment. If you can afford one. :)
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 30 May 2007, 07:35

1. MiniDV is the way to go. It is the standard and will probably be for at least a few more years. They are easy to find, relatively inexpensive and compatible with all editing programs.

2. Make sure the camera has an external mic jack. All built in microphones suck because they pickup to noise of the camera operating. If you want to do anything above "home movie" quality, you are going to want to use an external mic. For some reason this is not stardard on many low end cameras.

Other then that, there isn't really that much difference in the low end cameras, get whatever is cheap. CNet has pretty good camera reviews. Nightshot is handy sometimes and widescreen mode is also cool. 3 chip is sweet but will probably be out of your price range.
Mouse

Postby Mouse » 30 May 2007, 08:17

Alja-Markir wrote:
Edit: How poor are we talking? Also, digital camcorder, or would analog do? I'm not seeing many new digital camcorders for less than $200+ USD. Although the ones I am seeing for that kind of money are pretty decent looking.

Poor=a little over 300 dollars (hopefully more soon). I was seriously thinking of Craigslist and/or pawnshops, but I wasn't entirely sure what I wanted (or what was good), so I thought to ask here.

Also, at Paul's comment: I do so need a boom mic with the little fluffy cover to cut down on the wind on the audio (that's a terrible issue with the Porridgers).

-Lewis has AIDS

emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 30 May 2007, 08:28

I'm buying a camera at the end of the summer when I've made money. SO EXCITED ^_^

I will definitely resurrect this thread then. Just warning you.... =P
The Happy Friar

Postby The Happy Friar » 30 May 2007, 08:33

Paul wrote:2. Make sure the camera has an external mic jack. All built in microphones suck because they pickup to noise of the camera operating. If you want to do anything above "home movie" quality, you are going to want to use an external mic. For some reason this is not stardard on many low end cameras.

30000000% agree! When I bought my camera, I check for top loading (so if I used a tripod I didn't need to remove the camera) AV in (to copy from analog to DV but not an issue as I ended up buying a PyroAV Link anyways), took photos (in case I didn't have my digital camera handy)... got everything but FORGOT about the mic jack. Biggest mistake ever, and I didn't realize until 3 months AFTER I bought the camera & went to plug my mic in. :(
Paul
Super Moderator

Postby Paul » 30 May 2007, 12:38

Might want to look at the Canon ZR800. I don't know about the video quality but it is one of the cheapest that has the external mic jack.
Mouse

Postby Mouse » 31 May 2007, 11:46

3mm4 wrote:I'm buying a camera at the end of the summer when I've made money. SO EXCITED ^_^

I will definitely resurrect this thread then. Just warning you.... =P

*shrugs* Go for it.

-Lewis has AIDS

Mouse

Postby Mouse » 31 May 2007, 11:48

Paul wrote:Might want to look at the Canon ZR800. I don't know about the video quality but it is one of the cheapest that has the external mic jack.

Actually, I've always had a much easier time with camera that wasn't miniDV, so I'm actually looking for a tape loading one, its really so much easier (for me) and its what I had before (8mm tapes). And I already know the basic concept.

-Lewis has AIDS

Paul
Super Moderator

Postby Paul » 31 May 2007, 14:26

8mm or Hi8 is going to be much worse quality then MiniDV. Plus you won't be able to transfer it to a computer to edit (unless you buy a separate analog - DV converter). Since miniDV is a cassette technology just like 8mm, it should be pretty much the same from an operational standpoint.
Mouse

Postby Mouse » 01 Jun 2007, 06:26

Paul wrote:8mm or Hi8 is going to be much worse quality then MiniDV. Plus you won't be able to transfer it to a computer to edit (unless you buy a separate analog - DV converter). Since miniDV is a cassette technology just like 8mm, it should be pretty much the same from an operational standpoint.

True, and I already have all the junk to edit with and so on for Hi8. But I've worked with miniDV before and found it incredibly frustrating. I'll look in to it further, but I think I might stick to what I know.

-Lewis has AIDS

Return to “General Discussion”