MEDIC!!! MEEEDIICC! Oh thank .... What the f*beeeeeeep*

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Red Charlie

MEDIC!!! MEEEDIICC! Oh thank .... What the f*beeeeeeep*

Postby Red Charlie » 07 Jun 2007, 06:36

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6729745.stm

I mean really, they design a robot to save wounded people but not one to wound people with? It seems counter intuntive.. or its the Red Alert unit balancing system depiced in real life.

"But our infantry men cost twice as much as theres!!!"

"Yes but you get to entrench yourselves."

"But they get cloning vats!!!"

"Yes but you get a giant bear robot that picks you up takes you back to the nearest battlefield hospital."
It was really too big:

I give you this instead

Kawaiicaps

Postby Kawaiicaps » 07 Jun 2007, 10:24

Wow.... next step? the matrix!

-^_^-
zombine
Location: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

Postby zombine » 07 Jun 2007, 12:25

Please state the nature of your medical emergency.

Also, first bear designed by the military and it doesnt tear flesh.

although...
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 07 Jun 2007, 12:37

When we let machines handle all of our medical stuff we're screwed.
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 07 Jun 2007, 14:02

That thing looks like it is going to topple over any minute.

Also, the guy getting carried looks like a total ponce.
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 07 Jun 2007, 14:07

I wouldn't really feel safe if a teddy bear was in charge of getting me to safety. Chuck Norris on the other hand. . .
Red Charlie

Postby Red Charlie » 07 Jun 2007, 14:33

Sieg Reyu wrote:I wouldn't really feel safe if a teddy bear was in charge of getting me to safety. Chuck Norris on the other hand. . .

Chuck Norris would forget about getting you to safety, instead he would use every bone in your body and tendon as some form of giantic skeletel nun-chuck.
It was really too big:

I give you this instead

Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 07 Jun 2007, 14:41

Red Charlie wrote:
Sieg Reyu wrote:I wouldn't really feel safe if a teddy bear was in charge of getting me to safety. Chuck Norris on the other hand. . .

Chuck Norris would forget about getting you to safety, instead he would use every bone in your body and tendon as some form of giantic skeletel nun-chuck.
At least you know your life would be worth something.
Mouse

Postby Mouse » 08 Jun 2007, 06:04

It says it can lift 135kg. How much is that in pounds, anyway?
-Holy kleenex, Batman, it was right under our noses the whole time!
-Satan wears a bucket hat!
-If tin whistles are made of tin, what are fog horns made of?
-Lewis has AIDS
-Meddle ye not with dragons, for ye are crunchy and good with ketchup
Red Charlie

Postby Red Charlie » 08 Jun 2007, 06:06

It was really too big:

I give you this instead

Under13

Postby Under13 » 08 Jun 2007, 06:43

If someone can make me a robot that does this, I will be able to forever eschew my sad banana avatar...

And so long as I've hijacked this thread, and also have Kawaii's attention...did you ever get your spot on "This is Emily Yeung?"
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Re: MEDIC!!! MEEEDIICC! Oh thank .... What the f*beeeeeeep*

Postby Alja-Markir » 10 Jun 2007, 18:52

Red Charlie wrote:I mean really, they design a robot to save wounded people but not one to wound people with?

Meet the Talon, SWORDS Variant. This is a nightmarish device. Pray to whatever deities you worship that this never sees further action, and that you never have to try to survive against one.

It's about time people developed more technologies to combat the horrors of war. We already know full well how to destroy. We have yet to learn how to properly create.

Still, its a pity that no "enemy" will ever be aided by these things... yay humanity...

~Alja-Markir~
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 10 Jun 2007, 18:59

1. Teddy bear face designed to be reassuring
2. Hydraulic upper body carries up to 227kgs (500lbs)
3. When kneeling tracked "legs" travel over rubble. Switches to wheels on smooth surfaces
4. Dynamic Balance Behaviour (DBB) technology allows the robot to stand and carry loads upright on its ankles, knees or hips for nearly an hour

Teddy bear face reassuring? I JUST GOT FUCKING SHOT, WINNIE THE FUCKING POOH IS NOT HELPING!
-Wraith
The Happy Friar

Postby The Happy Friar » 11 Jun 2007, 05:15

I love that it's designed to go where on the battlefield where it's to dangerous for medics to go.... like a BIG FRIKKEN ROBOT isn't going to scream "SHOOT ME! DOUBLE KILLS!!!" when it's out there. :)

Doesn't it make MORE sense to figure out a way where soldiers won't get seriously wounded by bullets instead of figuring out a way to get them away from the bullets faster? Like.... give them whole body armor suits?
Under13

Postby Under13 » 11 Jun 2007, 06:49

The Happy Friar wrote:I love that it's designed to go where on the battlefield where it's to dangerous for medics to go.... like a BIG FRIKKEN ROBOT isn't going to scream "SHOOT ME! DOUBLE KILLS!!!" when it's out there. :)

Doesn't it make MORE sense to figure out a way where soldiers won't get seriously wounded by bullets instead of figuring out a way to get them away from the bullets faster? Like.... give them whole body armor suits?

Per Geneva Convention rules, medics tend to carry pretty sweet "untouchable" status in war. Granted, not everyone plays by the rules, but I'd imagine that a robot will probably be a lot more robust than another human.

And whole-body kevlar would still be heavy.
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 11 Jun 2007, 06:52

Wouldn't it make sense to have it not so skinny and such - so that it would block bullets for it's patient while it was taking them out? I mean, it's already lifting them into the open - the least it could do is protect them while it walks!

Wraith

Postby Wraith » 11 Jun 2007, 09:50

Under13 wrote:
The Happy Friar wrote:I love that it's designed to go where on the battlefield where it's to dangerous for medics to go.... like a BIG FRIKKEN ROBOT isn't going to scream "SHOOT ME! DOUBLE KILLS!!!" when it's out there. :)

Per Geneva Convention rules, medics tend to carry pretty sweet "untouchable" status in war. Granted, not everyone plays by the rules, but I'd imagine that a robot will probably be a lot more robust than another human.

And whole-body kevlar would still be heavy.

Yea, and the Geneva convention also says that children are not to be strapped with bombs and sent in to blow up a hospital. When was the last time a war was fought where anyone paid any attention to the Geneva convention? Chances are, if a war is being fought, someone's already tossed the rule book at the window.
-Wraith
Red Charlie

Postby Red Charlie » 11 Jun 2007, 10:12

The Geneva Convention is only applied to the side that is:

In this order
Winning
Defending their land
Percieved to the underdog
Has mass media in their control
It was really too big:

I give you this instead

The Happy Friar

Postby The Happy Friar » 11 Jun 2007, 17:55

that's not a medic, it's a robot. Robots aren't people & thus don't fall under the same rules.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 12 Jun 2007, 15:51

The Happy Friar wrote: Doesn't it make MORE sense to figure out a way where soldiers won't get seriously wounded by bullets instead of figuring out a way to get them away from the bullets faster? Like.... give them whole body armor suits?

Often when given the option for full body kevlar, soldiers opt out because it is simply too bulky. They can't move or see well, and their entire combat ability is compromised.

Fortunately, we have something better. Dragon Skin. This is some of the best body armor in the world. It's flexible, so it doesn't encumber the wearer but it can still protect the entire body. It withstands many repeated hits, it deflects almost all bullets, and it even protects from shrapnel, blades, and related.

Unfortunately, it is a new technology and is worth more than the life of a common soldier, aparantly...

~Alja-Markir~
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 12 Jun 2007, 16:21

Oh yeah?... Well we have the best Stealth Subs.
The Happy Friar

Postby The Happy Friar » 12 Jun 2007, 18:09

Funny you should mention the dragon skin. The local (well, in the same area of the state) military vet's got together & sent over ~20 dragon skin armour sets to marines. The marine corp. refuses to give them to the soldires to use & keep them locked up in a storage lock in iraq. :)

Plus there's this guy who claimed to make full body armor that costs under $2k US. The military didn't even bother to look at it saying they're doing their own body armor (they've been saying that for a decade now).
Wraith

Postby Wraith » 13 Jun 2007, 06:48

The Happy Friar wrote:Funny you should mention the dragon skin. The local (well, in the same area of the state) military vet's got together & sent over ~20 dragon skin armour sets to marines. The marine corp. refuses to give them to the soldires to use & keep them locked up in a storage lock in iraq. :)

Plus there's this guy who claimed to make full body armor that costs under $2k US. The military didn't even bother to look at it saying they're doing their own body armor (they've been saying that for a decade now).

Nothing in these paragraphs makes sense to me. I'm not calling you a liar, but why would they lock up equipment and refuse to look at that armor?

edit: I guess they might have locked up the armor because it would be a matter of source, IE they didn't get it from their regular supplier, so there's trust issues, and by the time youreally test armor, you've compromised it.
-Wraith
Under13

Postby Under13 » 13 Jun 2007, 08:24

I was thinking that the armor possibly got locked up and isn't used because of a standardization issue. Which 20 do you give it to? What if you're 21st on the list, didn't get one, and then get wounded or killed? Lawsuits ahoy!

A second notion I had was fear of any of the armor sets getting into the hands of an insurgent. Last thing you want is for even one or two of these suits to go unaccounted-for...
<>{
darkduck

Postby darkduck » 14 Jun 2007, 09:06

Isn't starting a war against the Geneva Convention?
*sigh* I'm so slow.

Return to “General Discussion”