Transformers Movie (2007) - May contain spoilers

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

What did you think of the transformovie?

OMFG AWESOME!!!
78%
Good!
13%
Okay
4%
Crap
No votes
Utterly Shit, doesnt deserve the transformers name!
4%

Total votes: 23
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 08 Jul 2007, 00:27

darthsparkles wrote:jazz has always been annoying. i'm glad they killed him.

Racist.
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 08 Jul 2007, 00:29

The_Watchman wrote:I was pretty disappointed. The humor was really forced and lame, and I feel like the Transformers played 2nd fiddle to the humans way too much, and that pretty much any part with the humans, except Sam and co. (and even some with him) felt really draggy and pointless. I mean, for a 2 and a half hour movie, the Transformers didn't really start doing their thing until the last 30 minutes or so, and Prime was the only one with any real personality. Guess I was just expecting a live-action cartoon. I mean the fighting was awesome, but there wasn't enough.

Ah well, I still have hope for the eventual sequel. No need for any secrecy and build-up. The Transformers are here...let them gloriously kick each other's asses.

Damnit, that was EXACTLY my fear. As soon as I started watching the trailer, I could tell it wasn't going to be about The Transformers. It was going to be a disaster movie with robots instead of asteroids or natural disasters.
-Wraith
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 08 Jul 2007, 00:34

I think most of the hardcore fans went in expecting something that would rape their childhood, and they were, for the most part, surprised and pleased at the awesomeness of the movie.

If you go in expecting "Omg this is gonna be great", and you're disappointed, IMO, you need lower standards, because the movie is great.
Fumbles

Postby Fumbles » 08 Jul 2007, 02:54

Is this the first thing that Bay hasn't utterly raped the shit out of? Most of the time he seems to make the equation, good idea + good actors + lots of money = one huge pile of shit.
"I'd like to say to all the people of Australia - Kick me, I'm different."- Ron Hitler Barassi

Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 08 Jul 2007, 03:03

So, would you guys rather watch the 1986 animated movie than the Bay movie?

Regardless, you get two more sequels, asshats. QQ.
darthsparkles

Postby darthsparkles » 08 Jul 2007, 09:33

Allen! wrote:
darthsparkles wrote:jazz has always been annoying. i'm glad they killed him.

Racist.

i'm black on the inside. like a reserve oreo.
jazz is just annoying as hell :P
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL
CHO

Postby CHO » 09 Jul 2007, 00:14

Fumbles wrote:Is this the first thing that Bay hasn't utterly raped the shit out of? Most of the time he seems to make the equation, good idea + good actors + lots of money = one huge pile of shit.

It's become my understanding (after a few hundred interviews and convention panels) that Bay was walking that line, but got held in check by the collective force of the writers and the ILM animators.

Apparently Peter Cullen also taught Bay what the difference was between screen acting and voice acting. Bay gave me the impression of "Well, uh...guess I learned some shit. >.>" in his post-production interviews.

All worked out for the better, IMO. I read that Bay apparently got given an "Order from us anytime!" menu from the US Military after he made Pearl Harbour. All the hardware flying/driving around helped the film IMO.
Sex hat keine Macht!
Sex hat keine Macht!
Du blutest nicht genug für mich
Küss mich noch ein letztes Mal

-Sex Hat Keine Macht by Oomph!
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 09 Jul 2007, 16:14

Wraith wrote:
The_Watchman wrote:I was pretty disappointed. The humor was really forced and lame, and I feel like the Transformers played 2nd fiddle to the humans way too much, and that pretty much any part with the humans, except Sam and co. (and even some with him) felt really draggy and pointless. I mean, for a 2 and a half hour movie, the Transformers didn't really start doing their thing until the last 30 minutes or so, and Prime was the only one with any real personality. Guess I was just expecting a live-action cartoon. I mean the fighting was awesome, but there wasn't enough.

Ah well, I still have hope for the eventual sequel. No need for any secrecy and build-up. The Transformers are here...let them gloriously kick each other's asses.

Damnit, that was EXACTLY my fear. As soon as I started watching the trailer, I could tell it wasn't going to be about The Transformers. It was going to be a disaster movie with robots instead of asteroids or natural disasters.

I disagree with watchman's post so intensely that I can barely put it into words. everyone has known for like 2 years that this wasn't going to be a transformers Generation 1 movie. there was no way it could be, and we knew from the get go it wouldn't be. if thats what you're expecting then you're going to be let down, not because the movie was bad, but because you set yourself up for disappointment.

there are NUMEROUS transformers storylines and universes. there's G1, G2, robots in disguise, armada, energon, cybertron, war within. all of these are legitimate transformers universes, and have created their own cannon. This movie is another such re-envisioning of the franchise, and a DAMN entertaining one.

I strongly disagree on the assertion that the humans played into the movie too much, I though the balance was actually pretty good (with the exeption of one storyline that could have been dropped completely) - and the transformers were unquestionably the centrepiece of the film.

I also disagree with the statement tha the transformers lacked character. megatron was fucking MEGATRON starscream was (despite having very little screen time, and only one exchange with megatron) rad,
bumblebee was adorable, and quite frankly exactly how I thought he would be. Jazz was the black transformer, and optimus was optimus freaking prime. this was not a movie about big robots that transform. this was a movie about the transformers. and easily. EASILY one of my all time favorite films.

EASILY.

-m

I am not angry at you.
CHO

Postby CHO » 10 Jul 2007, 13:50

Matt wrote:there are NUMEROUS transformers storylines and universes. there's G1, G2, robots in disguise, armada, energon, cybertron, war within. all of these are legitimate transformers universes, and have created their own cannon. This movie is another such re-envisioning of the franchise, and a DAMN entertaining one.

Not to say I'm some kind of GEEK or anything (haha, good sir!)...

There's also the canon subdivisions of the 80s cartoon, Marvel comic, Dreamwave comic, Dreamwave Armada/Energon comic, IDW comic, the 3+ GI Joe crossover continuities, the one-shot UK 3D comic, the british Armada comicstrip, Japanese TV Magazine comics, and the arguable canonical position of the Cybercube that played all the "Generation 2" reruns of old episodes.

Just to emphasize how Transformers holding a continuity for any period longer than 3 years is a feat in and of itself. ;)

Oh! And the new cartoon starting up next year with the Lance Henrikson, Weird Al, and Phil Lamarr as guest star characters (among others >.>). That's at least 2 seasons of yet another new continuity, possible 3-4 if the stuff they've already recorded does well.
Sex hat keine Macht!

Sex hat keine Macht!

Du blutest nicht genug für mich

Küss mich noch ein letztes Mal

-Sex Hat Keine Macht by Oomph!
Wraith

Postby Wraith » 21 Jul 2007, 19:27

AWESOME movie. Howerver, I would have ended it differently. The "oh, look, the cube can kill megatron" think seemed a bit anti-climactic. Here's how I would have done it:

In the big battle in the city, all the Autobots except Prime would be killed, and Optimus would be badly injured. The human, battered and bloody, gather around Optimus for their final stand. Optimus says to Spike (I forget his name already, but he should have been spike) "I'm sorry...we failed you. You have to...push the cube...into my chest..." Spike protests, but ultimately, Prime convinces him it's the only way. Prime opens his chest and Spike sees the place for the cube: a golden sphere with handles on the side in the center of Prime. Pushing the all-spark into it, Prime lets out a loud roar, and the light fades from his eyes.

The decepticons are advancing on the humans, the Autobots are dead, all seems lost. Truly, it's their darkest hour. But then, Prime's fingers begin to move, and his eyes suddenly light up. Sitting up, he shakes his head, and looks over at Bumblebee's lifeless body. He touches his friend, and Bumblebee again springs to life!

The decepticons attack, but Optimus, now crackling with Energy, cuts through them as if possessed! One by one, he touches his fallen comrades, who each awaken. The battle is again joined, and this time, the victory belongs to the Autobots.

The idea is that the all-spark combines with Optimus's own heroic spark and becomes The Matrix, and now Optimus is, essentially, the living embodyment of the primal force that created life on Cybertron.
-Wraith
Misty
The Goddamn Batman
First Video: Suspend Your Disbelief

Postby Misty » 21 Jul 2007, 20:15

*reads Wraith's movie idea*

If that ending happened in the theatres I'd have to leave the room... oh dear God, I seriously would've needed a minute to myself. It would've been THAT awesome.
Wraith

Postby Wraith » 22 Jul 2007, 20:40

mistyladybug wrote:*reads Wraith's movie idea*

If that ending happened in the theatres I'd have to leave the room... oh dear God, I seriously would've needed a minute to myself. It would've been THAT awesome.

IT SCARES ME WHEN YOU SAY THINGS LIKE THIS.

Seriously, every community I've ever been in has quickly grown to hate me. I just got permanently banned from the Adult Swim boards for making Inuyasha Boy05 cry (he had it coming, I assure you); I don't know how to handle people agreeing with me. IT IS WELCOME BUT SIMULTANEOUSLY CREEPY!
-Wraith
Iverix

Postby Iverix » 22 Jul 2007, 21:49

I thought the movie was spectacular. I have a torrent of it with close-to-dvd quality. I can watch it whenever :D
Wraith

Postby Wraith » 22 Jul 2007, 22:12

Dude, this is the type of movie where if you don't see it for the first time in the theater, you are doing yourself a GRAVE disservice.
-Wraith

Return to “General Discussion”