Sicko (movie)

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Corax
Hangleyman

Sicko (movie)

Postby Corax » 29 Jun 2007, 21:40

Another film by Michael Moore. Wich isn't a bad thing, if you want to open your eyes and see how bad health insurance is in America you should definately see this. I feel like moving to Canada now. This is Michael Moore's best film in my opinion, I also feel sick to my stomach that prisoners in Guantanamo Bay get better medical care than the average american would from an HMO.
ZeP

Postby ZeP » 29 Jun 2007, 21:41

Move to Victoria like all of us. ONE OF US, ONE OF US, ONE OF US!
Stephen_S

Postby Stephen_S » 29 Jun 2007, 21:46

I feel that the only reason why Michael Moore makes these films is because he hates George Bush and the Republicans.

I'm willing to bet that he will stop if the Democrats take the Presidency in 2008.
Le grá,

Steve
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 29 Jun 2007, 21:48

Tell you what, ZeP. You convince UVic to not only house my profession at their grad school (Speech and Language Pathology) but give me a good tuition/room/board/assistantship package and get me certified throught ASHA, and I will move up to Victoria.

Seriously. I want to move west of Pennsylvania, and UVic doesn't sound half bad.
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 29 Jun 2007, 21:51

when i eventually buy a house or move away from my parent Canada isn't too far off of an idea
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 29 Jun 2007, 21:52

Stephen_S wrote:I feel that the only reason why Michael Moore makes these films is because he hates George Bush and the Republicans.

He's made these movies for years, not just since W took office, and while he clearly doesn't like the republicans, he doesn't do a lot of anti-republican punditry in this one.

Also, it is the best one he's made in a while and it's very, very good. Also, quite funny. Probably moreso for Canadians.

I highly recommend it. If all it causes is open debate on the issue, he's done his job.
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 29 Jun 2007, 21:56

its funny for americans but its more like hahahahahaahhh... we're fucked
Citin

Postby Citin » 29 Jun 2007, 22:26

Attention Americans, don't pay high hospital prices BUY ALL OF YOUR DRUGS FROM ME!

Seriously stop stealing our medicine( Just kidding, but seriously)
"I'll be in Africa. If you need me just phone Africa, I told them to expect your call." - The Pointy Haired Boss
anotherearth

Postby anotherearth » 29 Jun 2007, 23:20

Stephen_S wrote:I feel that the only reason why Michael Moore makes these films is because he hates George Bush and the Republicans.

I'm willing to bet that he will stop if the Democrats take the Presidency in 2008.

Uhhh.. you do know that he made films BEFORE these dipshit Republicans (personal opinion) took office right?
Check out "Roger & Me" and "The Big One" that were out in the 90's. Not to mention the fact that he had 2 TV series -"TV Nation" and "The Awful Truth" that ran during the Clinton-era. Although he does have a particular point of view and an obvious disdain for the current administration, I doubt his work will end or change regardless of which party is in power.
"Sicko" is opening this weekend, but I'll prolly not get a chance to see it until later next week. Looking forward to it.

EDIT: Yes! What Graham said!
Alex Steacy
First Video: Beats me! No seriously Graham hits me.

Postby Alex Steacy » 30 Jun 2007, 03:50

In B4 political shitstorm.

*grabs umbrella*
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 30 Jun 2007, 03:56

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
HHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHHAHA. UVic. Tuition.

UR FUNNY.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
The Happy Friar

Postby The Happy Friar » 30 Jun 2007, 05:41

eh... never had an interest in his stuff. Not because he's not correct in some of his views but because of his presentation & some of his accusations. This is the US of A after all.. we vote on who makes the rules. Vote for people who don't make good rules the only people to blame our yourselves (plus, I don't belive in universal healthcare. I don't want the Govt to control every aspect of my life. I don't agents to bust in & arrest me for having "ManHunt" in the house not locked in a cabinet because I have a 6 year old. I don't want to be FORCED to give my pay to people who are to lazy to work...)
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 30 Jun 2007, 09:37

The Happy Friar wrote:I don't belive in universal healthcare.

Then you should really see the movie. It might not change your mind, but it will probably make you think a bit.

Also, universal healthcare isn't perfect, but it works well here.
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 30 Jun 2007, 13:22

Graham wrote:
The Happy Friar wrote:I don't belive in universal healthcare.

Then you should really see the movie. It might not change your mind, but it will probably make you think a bit.

Also, universal healthcare isn't perfect, but it works well here.

/agree'd

Especially if you DO work (3 jobs) and are still po' like me.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
The Pious Flea

Postby The Pious Flea » 30 Jun 2007, 13:31

We already have universal health care: poor people go to the Emergency Room, get truly awful care, and then don't pay. Hospitals can't actually force them to, so they rob Peter to pay Paul, and their other services become more expensive to compensate. Meanwhile insured people can't be compensated for their treatments because the insurance companies know they can make more money if they deny valid claims against them.

Given that we only really have a choice between different kinds of universal care, I'd much prefer to have something like Canada's than ours. Of course, there are obstacles to instituting here welfare systems like those Canada has that they simply don't have, and sometimes I don't think foreigners truly appreciate the nature of those obstacles.

We're a mess, folks. And it's only going to get worse.
I require a dance of intellect. Put on your thinking shoes!

Dance with us, LRR! Dance with us into oblivion!

Do not question me! I control your arms!
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 30 Jun 2007, 18:22

The Pious Flea wrote:We're a mess, folks. And it's only going to get worse.

We are going to Image in a Image
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 30 Jun 2007, 21:32

some are going to Image
OmegaZultan

Postby OmegaZultan » 30 Jun 2007, 22:24

Just curious, does more compare the US to Canada, like in most of his movies in this one? Cause I always found that hilarious. He's always like "Canada is SO much better than us...oh I just love Canada. I want to make sweet love to the prime minister for being such a swell guy."

And in every movie he goes to Canada, and he's like "Don't you just feel safe here?" And he asks people on the border of detroit or some shit, if they feel safer. OF COURSE THEY FEEL SAFER, Detroit has one of the biggest crime rates in the U.S. The only reason we don't have such a high crime rate, isnt just because we have gun control, but also mostly because the overall population of Canada, equals a fraction of the U.S.

I'm willing to bet if we had more people, Universal healthcare would plummet, due to Doctors losing money, and crime would go up. Not that thats a good thing mind you >_<.
--OmegaZultan--
When the world ends, Bill begins.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 30 Jun 2007, 22:30

OmegaZultan wrote:Just curious, does more compare the US to Canada, like in most of his movies in this one? Cause I always found that hilarious. He's always like "Canada is SO much better than us...oh I just love Canada. I want to make sweet love to the prime minister for being such a swell guy."

And in every movie he goes to Canada, and he's like "Don't you just feel safe here?" And he asks people on the border of detroit or some shit, if they feel safer. OF COURSE THEY FEEL SAFER, Detroit has one of the biggest crime rates in the U.S. The only reason we don't have such a high crime rate, isnt just because we have gun control, but also mostly because the overall population of Canada, equals a fraction of the U.S.

I'm willing to bet if we had more people, Universal healthcare would plummet, due to Doctors losing money, and crime would go up. Not that thats a good thing mind you >_<.

Oh we know it's not a good thing. I think his point is mainly that to the north of us is a country that is very similar to us in many ways, almost a sampling of the US. Yet with such similarities, there are HUGE and very gross differences in our cultures.
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 01 Jul 2007, 14:57

France more so, where u can get a nanny to help you with your kids and do your laundry payed for by the government. "It was almost enought to make me put down my freedom fries" LOL
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 01 Jul 2007, 17:32

Corax wrote:France more so, where u can get a nanny to help you with your kids and do your laundry payed for by the government. "It was almost enought to make me put down my freedom fries" LOL

Random aside: when in France with my men's choir, one of the guys said on the bus, "Oh I know some French. Je suis la jeune fille." No word of a lie, I couldn't stop laughing for about 5 minutes straight.
OmegaZultan

Postby OmegaZultan » 01 Jul 2007, 18:58

tak197 wrote:
Corax wrote:France more so, where u can get a nanny to help you with your kids and do your laundry payed for by the government. "It was almost enought to make me put down my freedom fries" LOL

Random aside: when in France with my men's choir, one of the guys said on the bus, "Oh I know some French. Je suis la jeune fille." No word of a lie, I couldn't stop laughing for about 5 minutes straight.

Being french myself, I regret not having been there to witness this ><
--OmegaZultan--

When the world ends, Bill begins.
Stephen_S

Postby Stephen_S » 01 Jul 2007, 19:58

That's another thing about the people. If you don't like it here, if you think it's better somewhere else: MOVE! No one is stopping you.

I have this co-worker who can't stop saying bad stuff about W. He's of German descent and he can still speak German. He keeps saying that it's much better in Germany and that the US Sucks.

So I tell him if he doesn't like it, MOVE BACK TO GERMANY! NO ONE IS STOPPING YOU! Wait Until 2009 when we get a new President.

Of course he always goes, "Well...."
Le grá,

Steve
browncoat

Postby browncoat » 01 Jul 2007, 20:20

Actually I wanna puke everyday when I read the papers here in Germany.
It seems a bit like "1984? Yeah, I remember that year. A novel? No... never heard of it." or "Dictatorship in Germany? Don't be silly, we Germans have proven to be incapable of violating anyones rights, so stop worrying and skip to the comics."

At the moment there is a law being discussed that would protocol ALL telecommunication (phone, mobile phone, email and web) AND make these data avaible to basically anyone who asks nicely (police, German intelligence agencies, FOREIGN INTELLIGENCE AGENCIES and the FUCKING MUSIC INDUSTRY!).
The complete government is gone batshit loco!
Can't take the sky from me. Again.
Chipps

Postby Chipps » 01 Jul 2007, 20:22

I generally like Micheal Moore, He's an extremist, and as a Liberal, I enjoy that. Do I take everything he says as verbatim? Fuck no, but sometimes I need overly one sided commentary on shit.
Signatures are silly.

Return to “General Discussion”