PS3 price slashed by $100

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

Has the price drop converted you?

Poll ended at 18 Jul 2007, 23:57

yes
No votes
no
100%

Total votes: 22
Fumbles

PS3 price slashed by $100

Postby Fumbles » 08 Jul 2007, 23:57

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6283170.stm

Is anyone now thinking of getting a PS3?
"I'd like to say to all the people of Australia - Kick me, I'm different."- Ron Hitler Barassi

Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 09 Jul 2007, 00:14

So, now, instead of a console that costs four hundred dollars more than it's worth and doesn't have any good games, you have a console that costs three hundred dollars more than it's worth and has a select few good games.

Progress? Yes. Ready for prime-time? Unquestionably no.
-Wraith
OmegaZultan

Postby OmegaZultan » 09 Jul 2007, 01:40

if they can drop another 150 and get some decent games AND put rumble in their damn controller, then I'll be sold, till then, I want nothing to do with the damn thing.
--OmegaZultan--
When the world ends, Bill begins.
Discomonkey

Postby Discomonkey » 09 Jul 2007, 02:08

It's going to take more than a $100 price drop to fix all the damage their PR department has already done. It's bad enough being spoon-fed bullshit by marketing fucks, but when they do that bad a job of it, it really shows they have no idea what they're doing.
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 09 Jul 2007, 02:14

I want a Wii :(
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
The Happy Friar

Postby The Happy Friar » 09 Jul 2007, 05:01

TheRocketSiobhan wrote:I want a Wii :(

ask the local eb what time the shipments arrive & BE THERE. I got a 2nd this way!

There's some confusion of the PS3 sales numbers. Sony says they're only a few hundred thousand behind Wii yet all non-sony #'s put them way under wii?

From the article they didn't drop the price, they put the 60gb one prices at the 20 (or 40?) GB one they canned & sell the 80gb one for the old price.

So, no price drop really, just reducing the "inferior" product price to make people want to spend the extra $100 on the "better" one.

Does your local shops have a hard time selling PS3's? The local gamestop & walmart ALWAYS have them in stock. GameStop has people coming in for Wii's every day & the manager said he's having a hard time unloading PS3's. People complain about the price he says.
Wraith

Postby Wraith » 09 Jul 2007, 05:42

I'm so glad this is all happening this way. I'm an old-school Nintendo fan. Fair is fair, and I gotta give props to the PS2 and the XBoxes, but Nintendo, as a company, is, at best, synonimous with "fun above all else" in my eyes, and at worse a reminder of the all-to-rare happy times I had growing up.

You know when you hear that song that was playing the first time you made out with your significant other, but you guys had a messy breakup, and now you never wanna hear it again, because all the memories come flooding back? Nintendo's like that in reverese.
-Wraith
Wraith

Postby Wraith » 09 Jul 2007, 05:42

Also, where are 360 sales in relation? I know they had a considerable head start...
-Wraith
zombine
Location: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

Postby zombine » 09 Jul 2007, 07:45

Im up in arms between the 360 and wii. The fact that im poor and wouldnt get either for a year anyways makes things more complicated, because the 360 price should start to close in on the wiis.

the lack of good games for either system(theres armored core 4, viva piniata and a possible bioshock for 360/wii sports, trauma center and twilight princess for the wii as the only good games) almost wants me to stick to PS2, but i cant be obsolete for that long.

Help me forums!

oh, and im lazy. i dont really want to get uup and shake it when playing with a wii, alone, in my basement, because i have no life.
The Happy Friar

Postby The Happy Friar » 09 Jul 2007, 07:49

Wraith wrote:Also, where are 360 sales in relation? I know they had a considerable head start...

~2.5/3x more then wii, so between 10-15million. Last I heard (could be a little more/less).

zombine wrote: the lack of good games for either system(theres armored core 4, viva piniata and a possible bioshock for 360/wii sports, trauma center and twilight princess for the wii as the only good games) almost wants me to stick to PS2, but i cant be obsolete for that long.

wii has a lot of good games. Don't confuse "i think they suck" with "they DO suck." 360 has a lot of good games too (more then wii i'd imagine).
meisbored
First Video: Daylight Savings

Postby meisbored » 09 Jul 2007, 09:54

The 360 has tons of good games. I just wish I could afford to buy them all, instead I'm stuck playing the demos over and over again :P
CHO

Postby CHO » 09 Jul 2007, 10:22

Happy to see a price drop, but the PS3 still lacks a killer app of a game to make me get the system. :(

Only reason I'd want one right now is for hardware PS2 backwards compatibility (have been hearing this may get removed and turned into software backwards compatibility?). Virtua Fighter 5 had me interested, but a version with online play will be out for my 360 soon.

Really wanting a Wii, but I'm holding out for a black version. I held my breath for a black DS, and dammit I will repeat the performance for the Wii. I am that shallow. :oops:
Sex hat keine Macht!
Sex hat keine Macht!
Du blutest nicht genug für mich
Küss mich noch ein letztes Mal

-Sex Hat Keine Macht by Oomph!
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 09 Jul 2007, 10:40

There was an article in Game Informer that shows that the PS3 is not losing money at all and is making plenty. If they're making money, they're doing what they need to.

I want one, but I'm waiting for another drop.
I can't think of a signature.
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 09 Jul 2007, 10:41

Instead of a PS3, you could buy THIS
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
Alex Steacy
First Video: Beats me! No seriously Graham hits me.

Postby Alex Steacy » 09 Jul 2007, 10:43

The Happy Friar wrote:There's some confusion of the PS3 sales numbers. Sony says they're only a few hundred thousand behind Wii yet all non-sony #'s put them way under wii?

Hahhahhaahahahaha... Oh, Sony. By "a few hundred thousand", I guess they mean five million. The Wii is outselling the PS3 almost three to one.

http://www.nexgenwars.com/

In my opinion, nobody is going to win the "console wars", but Sony has definitely lost. The Xbox and Wii aren't even competition for one another in my mind - they're far too different for that and they're plenty busy owning the shit out of Sony anyway. Xbox has their gorgeous graphics and the Wii has their fun interface and I think they will get along fine.
Last edited by Alex Steacy on 09 Jul 2007, 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
Wraith

Postby Wraith » 09 Jul 2007, 10:46

CyberTractor wrote:There was an article in Game Informer that shows that the PS3 is not losing money at all and is making plenty. If they're making money, they're doing what they need to.

I want one, but I'm waiting for another drop.

Not that I'm saying that's definetly not true, but you do know that Game informer is basically "on the take", right? Pledge enough sponsorship and they'll say or rate anything you want.
-Wraith
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 09 Jul 2007, 11:17

TheRocketSiobhan wrote:I want a Wii :(
Alex Steacy
First Video: Beats me! No seriously Graham hits me.

Postby Alex Steacy » 09 Jul 2007, 12:01

CyberTractor wrote:There was an article in Game Informer that shows that the PS3 is not losing money at all and is making plenty.

No offense, but all you need is a pair of eyes to discover that Sony is haemmoraging money on their new console. The unsold heaps of PS3s at Best Buy are all the proof anyone should need of that.

And the sheer challenge of even finding a Wii, much less buying one is proof enough of how well that console is doing.
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 09 Jul 2007, 12:16

360 FTW.
I will try to pick up the ps3 this christmas.
i dont know what's happening anymore
meisbored
First Video: Daylight Savings

Postby meisbored » 09 Jul 2007, 12:29

I haven't really seen anything yet that has made me want a PS3 at all, I'm quite happy with just my computer and 360.
The Happy Friar

Postby The Happy Friar » 09 Jul 2007, 16:04

CHO wrote:Happy to see a price drop, but the PS3 still lacks a killer app of a game to make me get the system. :(

no such thing as a "killer app." There's just games you REALLY want. I wanted Zelda, Rayman, Red Steal, Wario Ware, Wii Sports. Good enough reason for me to buy (didn't depend on reviews for those at all).

I just read an article somewhere (on my.... WII!!!) that according to sony, the PS3 sold ~3.5million world wide. Not the 5million I they said in another interview a week+ ago. They're losing $$ big time on that machine but they planned on it: they want to sell it for at least 10 years. Yes, while MS & Nintendo roll out a new console in 6/7, Sony will still be selling PS3's. I belive they don't get that the PS2 was a fluke: if it wasn't for the GC not doing great the PS2's life would of been much shorter (X-Box didn't really have an impact on it). I find it ironic they say they're doing good but GameStop just had a clearance sale on PSP & PS3 games (with a handful of X-Box & GC games thrown in)! :D
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 09 Jul 2007, 16:32

Yes - 0

No - 13

/owned
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Kipher
First Video: 3 PS3s

Postby Kipher » 09 Jul 2007, 19:48

I already have a PS3........I was one of the idiots who wait outside a Best buy to get one. I have no good games whats so ever for it, but its nice to have it in my room. *looks around my room* Hmm I really don't have anything for it do I, not even Blu-ray movies. Damn you good games, not coming out till next year.

I need to get a Wii now, so my collection will be complete :D
:) look a smiley face, it makes you want to smile doesn't it?
CHO

Postby CHO » 10 Jul 2007, 13:55

The Happy Friar wrote:
CHO wrote:Happy to see a price drop, but the PS3 still lacks a killer app of a game to make me get the system. :(

no such thing as a "killer app." There's just games you REALLY want. I wanted Zelda, Rayman, Red Steal, Wario Ware, Wii Sports. Good enough reason for me to buy (didn't depend on reviews for those at all).

That's pretty much exactly what I meant. :lol:

I generally use "killer app" in an entirely self-centered way.
Sex hat keine Macht!

Sex hat keine Macht!

Du blutest nicht genug für mich

Küss mich noch ein letztes Mal

-Sex Hat Keine Macht by Oomph!

Return to “General Discussion”