Liittle Shop, Little shoppa HOORRORORRS

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
JesterJ.

Liittle Shop, Little shoppa HOORRORORRS

Postby JesterJ. » 09 Jul 2007, 21:33

I just saw Little Shop of Horrors (The movie, with Steve Martin) and it was phenomenal. Seriously, it was great, hilarious, and really, REALLY catchy. I'm about to get the Soundtrack of it tomorrow.

Honestly, I highly recommend this to anyone and everyone, it's simply awesome.

"Feed me Seymoooour. Feed me all night loooooong."
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 09 Jul 2007, 23:48

Rick Moranis in a singing role FTW!

If you didn't love Audrey's performance, you are a fucking commie.

Maybe not, but come on.

"I am a De-eeenti-iiiist..."
Dr Frankenjam

Postby Dr Frankenjam » 10 Jul 2007, 12:13

Link?
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 10 Jul 2007, 20:42

Steve Martin was soooo good...God I love that song.

I also love the very end, where

ZOMGZ wrote:Audrey II says "No Shit Sherlock", it's just so funny hearing it from something almost 20 years old.

Also where he's dying, and the whole last song period. Fantastic . Especially where his little flowers are all dying and screaming, and he goes "...Shit" right as he BLOWS UP!

Ahhh, so good.
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 11 Jul 2007, 14:07

Little Shop of Horrors is my favourite musical, ever.

The movie actually differs in significant ways from the original show; it's more upbeat, several songs are changed, and the ending is a complete 180 from the stage show. Which is fine; the way the movie was filmed makes the original ending kind of a major bummer. The song "Mean Green Mother From Outer Space" is also not in the stage version, even post-movie.

Little Shop is really a kind of Faust story - Seymour keeps feeding people to the plant, and in the end, the plant eats Audrey and Seymour, going on to take over the world (In a number called "Don't Feed the Plants.") This ending actually does exist for the movie; you can find it on YouTube. It was filmed that way originally, but test audiences just hated the ending - which I can see, given the more upbeat version of the movie version. The entire ending was refilmed, cutting out a huge amount of work on the puppeteer's part and costing quite a lot more money.

The original DVD release of Little Shop had the original ending as a DVD extra, but someone up the ladder got mad about that, and that run of DVDs was recalled. The ones in the wild trade hands for rather high prices these days.

The soundtrack, however, appears to be the "working soundtrack" from the original cut of the movie - it has a longer, more introspective version of "The Meek Shall Inherit," what sounds very much like the demo for "Mean Green Mother," (With two extra verses and a lot of missing instrumentation), and many changes on other tracks that are in the movie (Quite a lot of dialogue is missing from "Feed Me/Git It"). The soundtrack also has "Don't Feed The Plants."

Some more errata about that show that I just love is that it took more than forty people to puppeteer Audrey II in the "Mean Green Mother" section. Another trick they did was that most scenes with Audrey II and another character were filmed very slowly - at 16fps. This means that, yes, people had to move that much slower and lip synch at that rate.

You can see this if you're looking for it in the scene "Feed Me / Git It," where Seymour is staring dumbfounded at the now talking plant. He takes three or four steps starting camera right and moving toward the plant - if you watch his gait, you can see that he was moving very slowly, then sped up for the film. Considering how much action was going on in that scene, it may have been filmed even slower.

The Broadway Revival soundtrack is excellent, although the arrangement of many songs (Particularly "Skid Row") are actually much better on the movie soundtrack (I like it better - it moves faster). No-one else has ever sounded like Ellen Greene (Audrey), but the actress certainly tries.

Some more silly stuff: This is one of Alan Menkin's first real musical successes if not the first outright. He would go on to work for Disney for a very long time, and is responsible for, among other things, "Aladdin." I've always thought "Friend Like Me" and "Feed Me" have a certain thematic correlation, even if they're sung by very different characters. :)

It's seriously my favourite musical of all time. I'm glad you got the chance to discover it! :)
Under13

Postby Under13 » 11 Jul 2007, 14:19

Sable?

Yeah. You won the thread, man.

NOW SPIT!
<>{
Dr Frankenjam

Postby Dr Frankenjam » 11 Jul 2007, 14:25

tl;dr
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 11 Jul 2007, 18:16

Under13 wrote:NOW SPIT!

One of my favorite songs in the whole musical, that was amazing.

"You have a talent for causing things pain....YOU'LL BE A DEEENTIIIIST"

Sable still wins.
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Re: Liittle Shop, Little shoppa HOORRORORRS

Postby emma » 11 Jul 2007, 21:25

JesterJ. wrote:"Feed me Seymoooour. Feed me all night loooooong."

I work at a camp right now, and pretty much every time we are waiting in line for our meal someone around me goes "feed me!" and I break out in that song.

"Does it have to be human? Does it have to be mine?" is usually where I start.

Also I tend to sing You'll Be a Dentist a lot. I was stage manager (though actually assistant director - I pretty much did more than the director who was PAID to work there, while I was a camper) at my old camp when we did Little Shop, and thus I know most of it off by heart... it's awesome. I make all my friends watch it.
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 11 Jul 2007, 21:32

Dr Frankenjam wrote:tl;dr
i dont know what's happening anymore
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 11 Jul 2007, 21:35

Do you read anything longer than a line?

Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 11 Jul 2007, 21:38

tl;dr
i dont know what's happening anymore
JesterJ.

Re: Liittle Shop, Little shoppa HOORRORORRS

Postby JesterJ. » 11 Jul 2007, 21:47

emma wrote:
JesterJ. wrote:"Feed me Seymoooour. Feed me all night loooooong."

I work at a camp right now, and pretty much every time we are waiting in line for our meal someone around me goes "feed me!" and I break out in that song.

"Does it have to be human? Does it have to be mine?" is usually where I start.

Also I tend to sing You'll Be a Dentist a lot. I was stage manager (though actually assistant director - I pretty much did more than the director who was PAID to work there, while I was a camper) at my old camp when we did Little Shop, and thus I know most of it off by heart... it's awesome. I make all my friends watch it.

Yeah I'm working at a camp right now as a C.I.T. (Counselor in Training) for a Little Shop of Horrors camp for little kids, like 7-11 year olds. The props/stuff is really cool, and the way we did Audrey II is pretty damn good. The music is just so damn catchy.

Lavos: Well played.
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 11 Jul 2007, 21:56

You don't have to tell me what a CIT is, don't worry. ;)

I can't remember how we did Twooie - but I remember it turning out very well. And the girl who played Audrey was PERFECT.

JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 11 Jul 2007, 22:21

Well, ours is...ya know. A week long camp, basically just a summary of the show along with the best numbers (well, most of the best). Sadly none of the kids are phenomenal singers, but hey, they get the job done, and its pretty entertaining still.

What sucks is they got green paint on my brand new white t-shirt this morning :(
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 11 Jul 2007, 22:43

That is such an awesome camp.

And thanks for...er...telling me I win? I've never won a thread before! :D
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 11 Jul 2007, 23:51

emma wrote:You don't have to tell me what a CIT is, don't worry. ;)

I can't remember how we did Twooie - but I remember it turning out very well. And the girl who played Audrey was PERFECT.

One of the productions at university for me did it waaaaaay too different for it to be good. They had a girl in a flowerpot wearing a green dress and stuff, and instead of the gratuitous violence, they made her make out with everyone.

Twooie is NOT A WHORE!!!
Ash

Postby Ash » 12 Jul 2007, 11:22

man I remember the oak bay little shop show. alex's dad put so much work into making the giant plant at the end that they ended up renting it out to other shows to use it cuz it was just too awesome to discard. I also remember that halloween alex dressing up in the medium size plant suit to scare little chillins as they came to the door.. it was awesome.
WARNING: This motion picture contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 12 Jul 2007, 15:07

I remember seeing that show.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.

Return to “General Discussion”