Where is Jer?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
The Pious Flea

Postby The Pious Flea » 30 Jul 2007, 17:38

Yikes. There's nothing like dealing with a group of angry vacationers when you have no way of dealing with their complaints.

Also, beware of the Dutch!
I require a dance of intellect. Put on your thinking shoes!

Dance with us, LRR! Dance with us into oblivion!

Do not question me! I control your arms!
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 30 Jul 2007, 17:55

I'm glad to hear that you survived the ordeal to post another day.

Also, a $20k camping trip in Canada from Holland? And they expected 'room service'? If your company catches flack for 'poor service', it's totally on the shoulders of JAC. They have to be the ones who created the breakdown in communication.

Try not to choke a bitch on your way back.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 30 Jul 2007, 18:58

The Dutch! Again!
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 30 Jul 2007, 21:43

Let it be known: The Customer Is Often Wrong.

I've seen a cashier fired, on the spot, because he accidentally gave someone extra change. I've witnessed batshit crazy, middle aged people yelling, shrieking like banshees, over coffee flavoring errors, their own stupidity (Well how was I supposed to know the coupon was expired? I demand a refund!), and their own twisted perceptions of how people should treat them like royalty.

Whenever I am unfortunate enough to witness such events, I tend to quietly stand nearby, waiting for the dillusional madperson to stop ranting over pocket change or sixty seconds of their life, and when they finally storm off to call their friends or familiy in order to share their outrage, I calmly stride up to the manager or supervisor who invariable gets called out to handle the situation, and I vouch, honestly and entirely, for the poor sod who got the customer angry at them. This makes me feel better. It makes the poor cashier or stock-kid feel better. It makes the manager feel better. It also generally keeps people from getting fired needlessly.

Sometimes, however, people just start going over the edge. At first I'll cough loudly and obviously, trying to subtlely hint "Hey, stop being a jackass." Amazingly, this often works. The stunned whiner turns to glance at me and I look at them with disgust. Most of them kinda start and frown, then calm down a little, maybe thundering a tad still, but the situation tends to clear up. Sometimes people simply need small reminders that the world doesn't revolve around them.

Every so often, however, subtlety fails hard. The whiner gets angrier, and I will sometimes get the moxy up to intervene. I simply can't stand by and watch some poor wage slave get abused by foul people with over-inflated egos. It's hard to be polite about it, but I try to keep my voice even and soft, and simply state the truth. I tend to tell the complainer that mistakes happen, and that verbally assaulting an innocent person because of a mistake is morally indefensible. If need be I mention to them that verbal assualt is also a crime, and that perhaps I should report the act to the local authorities. If nothing else, this gets the person's attention on me, and not the clerk or cashier.

Granted, even things as blunt and earnest as that sometimes fail to make people realize they're being jackasses. On one occasion when I intervened, I was later threatened with charges of verbal assault, aggravated battery, and slander by the lawyer of the angry customer. Fortunately for me, the owner of the store at which the event occured supplied both myself and the lawyer with copies of surveillance footage which captured the entire fiasco, absolving me completely. The lawyer promptly sent me a written appology and asked me not to press defamation charges.

Anywho, I'm done ranting I suppose. My condolances on your recent troubles Jer. Just remember, The Customer Is Often Wrong, and realize that there are folks out there who won't stand for egotistical clientele.

~Alja-Markir~
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 30 Jul 2007, 22:12

I am glad that I have never had to work anywhere where I had to deal with the public. However I may end up teaching so I may have to deal with people.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 31 Jul 2007, 02:54

Alja-Markir wrote:Let it be known: The Customer Is Often Wrong.

QFT. I'm so happy I don't work in a position where i deal with customers anymore.
browncoat

Postby browncoat » 31 Jul 2007, 03:20

DontPanic wrote:Good luck Jer!

Alja-Markir wrote:Let it be known: The Customer Is Often Wrong.

Both QFT.
Can't take the sky from me. Again.
Pattmyn

Postby Pattmyn » 31 Jul 2007, 14:15

Holy crow Jer, I'd be beating those people with those loaves of bread if I were in your shoes. Good luck man, keep holding on...to the bread loves of +1 Beatings.
opalsky

Postby opalsky » 01 Aug 2007, 02:25

Jer wrote:I did my best over the course of the day to make sure the group had a quality, and enlightening trip through the mountains, but in the tension of the moment, I was pretty uptight--read, close to tears of frustration--for most of the day... I unloaded on the clerk at the checkout, who didn't have a lot to say, but was a good listener. It was quite therapeutic.

Jer, what a tough time you've had! I hope the group realizes how hard you've been trying to make their trip a success. However, it seems they may not appreciate your efforts. What a shame. I'm glad you found a good listener when you needed one and I hope the rest of the trip proves to be less stressful.

Maybe, a visit to this website will make you feel better. The Complaints Choirs Worldwide might give you a laugh or two; especially the video from the Gabriola Island Singers. Or the Canada/As It Happens choir.

http://www.complaintschoir.org/choirs.html

After this trip you might have enough material to write your own complaint song. You could even pitch it to 64K. <g>
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 01 Aug 2007, 04:41

Lifeguarding has made me appreciate the fact that I'm gonna be an engineer and hopefully won't have to deal with the public... Seriously... people are dumb... yes you have to wear a swim suit in the swimming pool!
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 01 Aug 2007, 10:20

AH, the lifeguarding days. I remember them. I have endless stupid stories from them. One of my favorite was pulling 15 people out of a hot tub made for 4 comfortably, 6 if you squeezed in.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 03 Aug 2007, 20:26

Jer hasn't checked in with us yet. Did he kill a Dutch tourist? Or did one kill him?
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 03 Aug 2007, 20:31

Jer killed a Dutch. Upon seeing this, another Dutchman killed Jer. So the anser to the question is "Yes".
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 03 Aug 2007, 20:41

opalsky wrote:http://www.complaintschoir.org/choirs.html

After this trip you might have enough material to write your own complaint song. You could even pitch it to 64K. <g>

YES! YES! YES! VERY VERY VERY YES!!!!!!

64K Featuring The Cownd-Man in "Trapped in the Campaign"

AAAAND Go!

Return to “General Discussion”