Martial Arts!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 08 Aug 2007, 15:03

mistyladybug wrote:but if they tried I could roundhouse kick them in their face.

That'd be awesome 8)

Only if your master was Chuck Norris.
Alex Steacy
First Video: Beats me! No seriously Graham hits me.

Postby Alex Steacy » 08 Aug 2007, 15:30

I would like to learn Mishima Style Karate, so that I could hit people with a jumping uppercut that sends them 50 feet into the air.
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 08 Aug 2007, 15:33

I'm just trying to master the Spirit Bomb technique.
I can't think of a signature.
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 08 Aug 2007, 15:41

Alex Steacy wrote:I would like to learn Mishima Style Karate, so that I could hit people with a jumping uppercut that sends them 50 feet into the air.

That and a mean freakin headbutt.
Misty
The Goddamn Batman
First Video: Suspend Your Disbelief

Postby Misty » 08 Aug 2007, 15:57

AmazingPjotrMan wrote:
mistyladybug wrote:but if they tried I could roundhouse kick them in their face.

That'd be awesome 8)

Only if your master was Chuck Norris.

I'd only learn from the best, of course.
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 08 Aug 2007, 17:04

When I was seven I started learning Karate. At ten I switched to Kung-Fu. When I reached thirteen, we moved to Ohio and I had the honor of learning Tae Kwon Do under the instruction of Grand Master Y.C. Kim, an olympic medalist who defected to the United States, and the only Ninth-degree black belt to ever live in the western hemisphere. At seventeen I moved here to Virginia, and since I have been emmersed in MMA, traning with a former SEAL, a Green Berret, and two of my best friends, one of whom has been training in Brazillian jujitsu for the past ten years, and the other who has been training Akido for thirteen. We spar and correct and advise each other when we see mistakes or room for improvement.
-Wraith
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 08 Aug 2007, 17:09

Wraith can kick our asses.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Lavos
Lavos

Postby Lavos » 08 Aug 2007, 17:10

No doubt, hes a big guy. I'm probably going to learn muay thai after I become a 2nd or third degree black belt. Then I can kick his ass maybe.
i dont know what's happening anymore
Wraith

Postby Wraith » 08 Aug 2007, 17:19

Alja-Markir wrote:I'm not very active, but I sometimes used to practice Jitkyùndo with a buddy of mine. Despite my laziness, however, I do hold a deep reverance for martial arts.

When I was nine, I saw a Tai Chi master at a mixed arts exhibition. He was this seventyish year old man, five foot nothing, and he's fighting all these young guys from every style and school, and seemingly not lifting a finger.

At one point, he asked for a large group of volunteers, about a dozen, and challenged them to land a single strike against him. So they all ran at him, slightly staggered one after another, and he literally just started flinging them across the mat like ragdolls, hardly even moving to do it.

~Alja-Markir~

I hate to say this, but more often then not, these exhibitions are rigged. It's actually a fairly common practice these days, similar to the old "traveling wrestler" routines. They plant a number of big, mean looking guys and then the "master" defeats them easily; and then OH! Lucky you! It just so happens that they have an opening in their school, and for sixty bucks a month, you could fill that spot! But, of course, mastering such an ancient and mysterious art takes time. Why, the "master" you saw had studdied for fifty years. But, if you stick with it for long enough (in other words, never stop giving them money) you may grow to be as skilled as he!
-Wraith
Wraith

Re: Martial Arts!

Postby Wraith » 08 Aug 2007, 17:22

Lavos wrote:Do any of you forum members take any type of martial arts?
If you don't, you really should. Martial arts teaches you self defence, it makes you stronger, teaches you discipline and makes you more healthy.

Me? I take vovinam. Basically combining lightning fast aerial attacks and techniques with beautiful form. Its freaking awesome, you should check youtube for some videos.

Lightning fast aerial attacks.

I'll take pointless flashy displays sure to get you hurt the first time you try it in a serious fight for 500, alex.
-Wraith
Lavos
Lavos

Postby Lavos » 08 Aug 2007, 17:27

Let me rephrase that, lightning fast attacks, combined with aerial attacks. And if you train in vietnam, they force you to practice freaking everywhere. On water, sand, concrete and rocks. I think someone who has endured chopping concrete everyday for a few years can severely hurt someone too.
i dont know what's happening anymore
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 08 Aug 2007, 20:06

Lavos wrote:Let me rephrase that, lightning fast attacks, combined with aerial attacks. And if you train in vietnam, they force you to practice freaking everywhere. On water, sand, concrete and rocks. I think someone who has endured chopping concrete everyday for a few years can severely hurt someone too.

Chinamen can walk on water now?! Shit, they have freakin EVERYTHING!
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
YamaroV2

Postby YamaroV2 » 08 Aug 2007, 20:15

Alex Steacy wrote:I would like to learn Mishima Style Karate, so that I could hit people with a jumping uppercut that sends them 50 feet into the air.

No longer your barrel-rolling monkey.
Alex Steacy
First Video: Beats me! No seriously Graham hits me.

Postby Alex Steacy » 08 Aug 2007, 20:21

I should just stop walking places and continually crouch dash everywhere I go.
Link

Postby Link » 08 Aug 2007, 20:36

My father signed me up for karate at age 6. Studied Goju Ryu Karate for 6 years, all the way up to my brown belt, which was one belt short of black. Finally decided to leave that dojo as a result of the head sensei's poor attitude.

After a few months off, signed up at a new dojo. They taught something they called "American Freestyle" karate. It was basically a nice mixture karate, tae kwon do, jiu jitsu, kickboxing, and grappling. It had a very strong backing in karate though. I studied there for another 5 years, because they had a different belt system, which meant my brown belt wasn't nearly as close to black as I had previoiusly been.

There I studied under Matt Perrins and Neil Bishop, both world champions and both were fantastic instructors. I became heavily interested in the weapons, and fiercely studied the Bo. My senseis even had me go to train with Mike Bernardo, who was a world champion in bo staff forms. I won a few tournaments, did a few demos, and generally had a good time. Finally earned my black and then promptly quit.

For 11 years I was forced to study karate, and I hated every day of it. I was only allowed to stop studying after I reached black belt, so I only saw it as a way out.

It's been a few years now, and I'm really starting to miss the martial arts. I'm thinking about getting back into it, but I'm not sure what I want to study this time.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 08 Aug 2007, 20:40

Though not the intended meaning of the term, I actually picked up foil this past year, and intend on continuing on working with it. For those who are unsure what I mean, I am a beginning fencer. You know those guys in all white suits with alien like masks and big shiny swords? That s what I do.
Wraith

Postby Wraith » 08 Aug 2007, 20:50

I tried fencing for a while. I didn't like it because all the instruction was purely aimed at the sport of it. That made it very difficult for me, because I had to keep fighting impulse, which was to get them into a lunge, then grab their wrist, disarm them, and begin teh pumelling.
-Wraith
Iverix

Postby Iverix » 08 Aug 2007, 23:26

tak197 wrote:Though not the intended meaning of the term, I actually picked up foil this past year, and intend on continuing on working with it. For those who are unsure what I mean, I am a beginning fencer. You know those guys in all white suits with alien like masks and big shiny swords? That s what I do.

My best friend in California fenced the majority of his life. He had to quit recently due to college and other obligations with work. He taught me a little of fencing stances and fencing moves like reposts, blocking, and lunging.

Just to clear things up though as I think one of the newer members may possibly suffer from a learning disorder:

Force:
AKA: Mass times acceleration.

Power:
Or Work divided by time. Work, in this case, can also be considered Energy.

Work:
AKA: Force times distance.

[EDIT1] I also wanted to add that Taekwondo is one word.
[EDIT2] I would also like to point out that the scientific term for "speed" is velocity. I understand that when you use the term "velocity" it requires a direction, and in the case of Martial Arts, the correct term would be velocity.
Last edited by Iverix on 08 Aug 2007, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 08 Aug 2007, 23:30

Yup. Fencing is decidely not a form of combat, but is just a sport. Can you kill someone with it? Sure. Same as a football tackle can kill if you try hard enough.

Actual swordplay, however, isn't really practiced in any real degree anymore for two reasons. Swords aren't used as killing tools nowadays, and (as a result of that) swords produced today are almost always not created as "real" combat blades.

Some martial arts incorporate swordplay, and I admit, some of them do still use effective swords and actual sword combat does still exist. But the majority of it, for safety's sake, is demonstrational and sports based. Kendo, for example.

As for my mention of the exhibition I saw, I can assure you it was not rigged. It wasn't put on by one school or anything, it was a public showcase of many different schools and styles. We're not talking Kung Fu Karl deflecting a bunch of his students here. It was actually numerous different schools that had never met competing in friendly matches, and it was entirely free and open to the public. Didn't see a single attempt at recruitment meself. Plus, my father knew the guy who organized it, a member of the local police force who had started a small club of martial arts hobbyists around the town.

Mebbe I can find that video of it we had, and I can try to digitize it and put it up on youtube. I think it's somewhere in storage.

~Alja-Markir~
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 09 Aug 2007, 00:27

Iverix wrote:Just to clear things up though as I think one of the newer members may possibly suffer from a learning disorder:

Force:
AKA: Mass times acceleration.

Power:
Or Work divided by time. Work, in this case, can also be considered Energy.

Work:
AKA: Force times distance.

[EDIT2] I would also like to point out that the scientific term for "speed" is velocity. I understand that when you use the term "velocity" it requires a direction, and in the case of Martial Arts, the correct term would be velocity.

If we are going to bring calculus in to this which is the way it should be, then a few things need to be fixed.

The sum of all forces, the net force, on an object is equal to time derivative of its linear momentum. Objects usually have many forces acting on them. For instance if I push on one of the physics text books on my desk there are at least five forces acting on it, 1) me pushing on it, 2) the force of friction between the book and the desk, 3) gravity pushing down on the book, 4 air pressure pushing down and against the sides of the book and 5) the normal force of the table pushing up on the book. The book is not accelerating due to the friction or air pressure on it, it is only accelerating if the sum of the forces on it is non zero.

The F = ma formula is only true if the mass of the object is not changing as it moves. While this is true or close to true for many problems some problems like rockets and rain drops falling in clouds require the mass change to be taken into account.

Forces are rarely constant outside of high school and first year physics classes. Nor do forces often coincide with the path traveled which is not always a straight line.
An element of work is force times an element of displacement (distance). These elements can be summed together using an integral.

Power is work per time not work over time - the time derivative of work

Also both speed and velocity are both valid physics terms which slightly different meanings. Speed is a measure only how fast you are going while velocity tell how fast and in what direction you are going. 40 km/h is a speed and 40 km/h north east is a velocity.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
gplgeek

Postby gplgeek » 09 Aug 2007, 00:34

I'm a brown belt in ju-jitsu and purple belt karate/HS.
I like to teach women and children how to defend themselves from predators. I myself have been terrorized my whole life by others for no good reason so I decided to make a change.

My arts are hybrid / self defense and I also learn from other arts. I've been somewhat out of practice for a while but still know how to scrap.

These have saved my life in the past. I've had knives pulled on me and been jumped on the street.

In middle school 5 guys jumped me in the bathroom as part of a "gang initiation" I didn't have any interest in. They didn't know that I'd go for their eyes.

Most arts don't let you know the dirty little secret that "There is no fair fight" and "Everything is a weapon"...

Just knowing those 2 things is very empowering. The kind of arts I was in were Death&Mayhem not dancing around in pansy little stanzas.

I believe that a mixed art is the only effective one.

For some reason I'm a target for crazies. Not everyone needs to fight. I know some of my friends who have never been in a fight or had their life threatened. I myself have been shot at, stabbed, jumped by multiple people, run down by a jeep, etc...

It's not my life style thats a problem. I don't gangbang, I'm respectful, I'm mostly passive, and I like to hang out with many types of people. Most if the time I heard the attackers say they were going to get me because I was fat, smart, a nerd/geek, or even because of who I was related to.
Iverix

Postby Iverix » 09 Aug 2007, 04:01

Lord Chrusher wrote:
If we are going to bring calculus in to this which is the way it should be, then a few things need to be fixed.

The sum of all forces, the net force, on an object is equal to time derivative of its linear momentum. Objects usually have many forces acting on them. For instance if I push on one of the physics text books on my desk there are at least five forces acting on it, 1) me pushing on it, 2) the force of friction between the book and the desk, 3) gravity pushing down on the book, 4 air pressure pushing down and against the sides of the book and 5) the normal force of the table pushing up on the book. The book is not accelerating due to the friction or air pressure on it, it is only accelerating if the sum of the forces on it is non zero.

The F = ma formula is only true if the mass of the object is not changing as it moves. While this is true or close to true for many problems some problems like rockets and rain drops falling in clouds require the mass change to be taken into account.

Forces are rarely constant outside of high school and first year physics classes. Nor do forces often coincide with the path traveled which is not always a straight line.
An element of work is force times an element of displacement (distance). These elements can be summed together using an integral.

Power is work per time not work over time - the time derivative of work

Also both speed and velocity are both valid physics terms which slightly different meanings. Speed is a measure only how fast you are going while velocity tell how fast and in what direction you are going. 40 km/h is a speed and 40 km/h north east is a velocity.

I think you completely missed the point of my post. Like... completely. And second, if you take the weight of an object, that takes Airpressure into account. If you take it away lets say, then obviously the object would weigh less. And in elementary physics, as to which my previous post pertained, does not take in the derivatives or net forces as previously described in your post. But thanks anyways.

[Edit] had one spelling error.
Mendhi

Postby Mendhi » 09 Aug 2007, 13:23

My nick is a reference to henna ;) I am afraid of needles, but have long gotten henna "tats" every year. Mendhi, if you will.

Fencing most definitely IS a form of combat. And while your average fencer may not bring a foil to a battle, fencing found its origins as the training for many other styles of weapons. The current sport is highly rigid and governed by many many many rules and protocols, but given when fencing found its popularity as a "sport", more than merely a training program, the (for a lack of a better word) pomp of it is to be expected.

I wouldn't want to face a fencer with a sabre in a dark alley. Not that you are likely to find many battles being fought with swords anymore. But then...I don't hear of many battlegrounds recently littered with the bodies of martial artists either ;)
Polar bears can vote in Mexico.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 09 Aug 2007, 13:35

Mendhi wrote:But then...I don't hear of many battlegrounds recently littered with the bodies of martial artists either ;)

That's because they all survived!

~Alja-Markir~
Mendhi

Postby Mendhi » 09 Aug 2007, 13:46

Alja-Markir wrote:
Mendhi wrote:But then...I don't hear of many battlegrounds recently littered with the bodies of martial artists either ;)

That's because they all survived!

Oh. Well if you are going by THAT....well then. Yes. I hear of many epic battles being fought every Saturday morning in front of many tv's trying to determine which channel it should be on. I judo chop my husband in the shoulder, he karate chops me in the thigh (you martial artists may find this move familiar....I call it the "jesus, you dead legged me you bastard"), and while we whimper.....we survive to fight another day.
Polar bears can vote in Mexico.

Return to “General Discussion”