STOP!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
god0fgod

STOP!

Postby god0fgod » 17 Sep 2007, 12:31

What on earth? I never knew this would happen. Stop flaming and insulting please.

I started the first topic that was locked of mine because I wanted to know what people would think. I told myself no just in case but I thought they shouldn't get mad anyway. THerefore I posted an identical topic that did well somewhere else.

Never did I think this would happen. Stop now! For ____ sake this is out of control. How people get pleasure from flaming is beyond me.

Pretend I was never here. I may of triggered this. Don't blame me. Blame yourself.

I rushed that so I hope it sounded convincing.
User avatar
Kawaiicaps
Posts: 2180
Joined: 16 Aug 2006, 07:41
Location: Winterpeg Manisnowba
Contact:

Postby Kawaiicaps » 17 Sep 2007, 12:33

I accept your apology.
-^_^-
god0fgod

Postby god0fgod » 17 Sep 2007, 12:34

If that makes you stop. Really I don't think this site deserves to have such a bad community.
User avatar
Graham
Super Moderator
Posts: 15038
Joined: 09 Mar 2004, 19:37
Location: Victoria, BC
Contact:

Re: STOP!

Postby Graham » 17 Sep 2007, 12:35

god0fgod wrote:Don't blame me. Blame yourself.

Why? For objecting to you trying to post inflammatory threads and then not letting up when they get locked?
For basically admitting that you kept making new posts just to get a reaction?

You're making a plea with us to stop flaming. You and Urag_Ayface are the flamers in this scenario.

I don't see how this makes us hypocritical.
User avatar
Kawaiicaps
Posts: 2180
Joined: 16 Aug 2006, 07:41
Location: Winterpeg Manisnowba
Contact:

Re: STOP!

Postby Kawaiicaps » 17 Sep 2007, 12:36

god0fgod wrote:
I started the first topic that was locked of mine because I wanted to know what people would think..


If you think this is all about the one post you are mistaken. The only one that cares about that single thread is you and your girlfriend.

-^_^-
User avatar
Graham
Super Moderator
Posts: 15038
Joined: 09 Mar 2004, 19:37
Location: Victoria, BC
Contact:

Postby Graham » 17 Sep 2007, 12:36

god0fgod wrote:Really I don't think this site deserves to have such a bad community.

Excuse me?

This site has an awesome community. We normally get along fine.
Can't you see that the common denominator in all this mess is you?
User avatar
emma
CAPS LOCK!
Posts: 4543
Joined: 26 Oct 2006, 08:23
Location: your pants
Contact:

Postby emma » 17 Sep 2007, 12:37

I am happy to stop teasing at any point, though it's really not flaming - but I'm not going to stop if you tell me to.

But Graham is obviously online and all he has to do is tell me to shut up and you won't hear another peep out of me on the whole topic.

But for now: I continue.
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
emma
CAPS LOCK!
Posts: 4543
Joined: 26 Oct 2006, 08:23
Location: your pants
Contact:

Postby emma » 17 Sep 2007, 12:38

Aww, I will take the stealth locking as evidence that we should shut the hell up.

Done and done.
Last edited by emma on 17 Sep 2007, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Image

Image
User avatar
Graham
Super Moderator
Posts: 15038
Joined: 09 Mar 2004, 19:37
Location: Victoria, BC
Contact:

Postby Graham » 17 Sep 2007, 12:38

Well, to be honest, emma, feeding trolls is generally a bad idea. Just encourages them.

Urag_Ayface is being a huge dick about it though.
User avatar
Kawaiicaps
Posts: 2180
Joined: 16 Aug 2006, 07:41
Location: Winterpeg Manisnowba
Contact:

Postby Kawaiicaps » 17 Sep 2007, 12:39

I'll stop too and get back to normal :)


-^_^-


No more troll feeding
Image
User avatar
emma
CAPS LOCK!
Posts: 4543
Joined: 26 Oct 2006, 08:23
Location: your pants
Contact:

Postby emma » 17 Sep 2007, 12:48

Graham wrote:Well, to be honest, emma, feeding trolls is generally a bad idea. Just encourages them.


Yeah, I know.... :roll:

*shame*
Image

Image

Image
User avatar
Pattmyn
Posts: 331
Joined: 22 Jul 2007, 14:45
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Contact:

Postby Pattmyn » 17 Sep 2007, 14:05

Graham wrote:Well, to be honest, emma, feeding trolls is generally a bad idea. Just encourages them.

Urag_Ayface is being a huge dick about it though.


Can we feed them rat poison? Please?
User avatar
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
Posts: 9010
Joined: 13 Mar 2007, 19:20
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate
Location: Stroudsburg, PA
Contact:

Re: STOP!

Postby tak197 » 17 Sep 2007, 14:13

Graham wrote:You're making a plea with us to stop flaming. You and Urag_Ayface are the flamers in this scenario.


Was that intended to be a double meaning?

As for rules on the internet, "bad" communities, and flame wars, let us all remember what wisdom Morgan gave us in the Whatever Thing.

"...I propose a code of conduct for them. Less BOOHOOHOOHOOHOOHOO."

Just remember, LRR is a NERD COMEDY WEBSITE, so anything that doesn't have to do with comedy, video games, DotA/WoW, or anything that is funny or relevant is probably a BAD IDEA.
Image
Image
User avatar
Pattmyn
Posts: 331
Joined: 22 Jul 2007, 14:45
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Contact:

Re: STOP!

Postby Pattmyn » 17 Sep 2007, 14:28

tak197 wrote:Just remember, LRR is a NERD COMEDY WEBSITE, so anything that doesn't have to do with comedy, video games, DotA/WoW, or anything that is funny or relevant is probably a BAD IDEA.


Dude, you forgot cheese. Le Shame man, le Shame.
User avatar
Jer
LRR Crew
Posts: 1738
Joined: 18 Mar 2004, 17:23
Location: Victoria
Contact:

Re: STOP!

Postby Jer » 17 Sep 2007, 14:32

god0fgod wrote:Pretend I was never here. I may of triggered this. Don't blame me. Blame yourself.


This reminds me of Oscar Wilde's Preface for the book version of Dorian Gray, which reads as follows:

Oscar Wilde wrote:
by Oscar Wilde
Preface

The artist is the creator of beautiful things.
To reveal art and conceal the artist is art’s aim.
The critic is he who can translate into another manner or a new material his impression of beautiful things.
The highest as the lowest form of criticism is a mode of autobiography.
Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming. This is a fault.
Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are the cultivated. For these there is hope.
They are the elect to whom beautiful things mean only beauty.
There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all.
The nineteenth-century dislike of realism is the rage of Caliban seeing his own face in a glass.
The nineteenth-century dislike of romanticism is the rage of Caliban not seeing his own face in a glass.
The moral life of man forms part of the subject matter of the artist, but the morality of art consists in the perfect use of an imperfect medium.
No artist desires to prove anything. Even things that are true can be be proved.
No artist has ethical sympathies. An ethical sympathy in an artist is an unpardonable mannerism of style.
No artist is ever morbid. The artist can express everything.
Thought and language are to the artist instruments of an art.
Vice and virtue are to the artist materials for an art.
From the point of view of form, the type of all the arts is the art of the musician. From the point of view of feeling, the actor’s craft is the type.
All art is at once surface and symbol.
Those who go beneath the surface do so at their peril.
Those who read the symbol do so at their peril.
It is the spectator, and not life, that art really mirrors.
Diversity of opinion about a work of art shows that the work is new, complex, and vital.
When critics disagree the artist is in accord with himself.
We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely.
All art is quite useless.


This was in reaction to reviews of the magazine edition of Dorian Gray, which was widely criticized for its somewhat obvious homoerotic undertones. It basically argues, as T.S. Eliot would later argue, and as GodOfGod seems to be arguing in regard to his post, that when an artist is finished with a work, that work is complete without the artist, and any ugliness or controversy found therein is more or less in the eye of the beholder.

This is an interesting way of viewing a composition, and one that Wilde goes on to take apart over the rest of the novel. In the book, the painter, Basil Hallwood, paints a portrait of his "friend" Dorian, and "Put[s] too much of [himself] in it," in the process. He then refuses to let it be seen in public, even though it is his greatest work. THeoretically, he does this because the painting reveals part of the artist's "soul" [Wilde's use of the word soul is subject to controversy], and, we can therefor infer from this, clearly shows the adoration he has for Dorian demonstrated elsewhere in the book (especially in its first printing).

By drawing an equation between Hallwood's own emotional investment in the work, and with its brilliance (and setting aside for now the painting's later connection to Dorian himself through a Faustian pact of sorts), Wilde manages to not only make a case for the importance of emotional investment in art, but also butt heads with his own argument from the preface (as here it is the artist and not the critic who gives the painting both its power and its meaning).

I bring this up for two reasons:
1 - To try and emphasize that nobody here is a moron. We are all well-educated and well-adjusted people who come here in our free time to unwind, relax and shoot the rhetorical shit for a while. While I'm happy to discuss literary criticism with any of you, that's not really what I come here for, and I think that holds true for most of the rest of us. This is a comedy site, with a target audience of people who are taking a break from whatever else in their life is going on to look at something irreverent. I would therefore suspect most of our community to follow the same trend--most of us aren't dumb people, but smart people who enjoy being pleasantly disengaged.

Disengaged people tend not to take things very seriously in my opinion, and don't necessarily feel put upon to display either their vast intellects or rapier wits.

2 - The argument as to who's responsible for the reaction to any sort of composition--i.e. the one who created it or the one who reacts to it--has been going on since, if not the beginning of recorded history, then at least since the late 19th century. There's no sense in arguing who's responsible, as it's a moot point, and will just lead to more arguments based on the same old evidence (even after it was censored, Dorian Gray still looks pretty homo-erotic to me . . . though Wilde's preface would make that my fault . . . even though Wilde did turn out to like the young boys . . . and on we go . . .). The only thing I think we can do is forgive, forget, and try not to aggravate old wounds.

That's my advice to all involved. I'm happy to chat about it, but anyone who wants to flame me should probably just send me a PM.
Image
User avatar
Lavos
Lavos
Posts: 4783
Joined: 01 Jan 2006, 23:48
First Video: 1337
Location: Vancouver BC

Postby Lavos » 17 Sep 2007, 14:40

Jer basically said what I was going to say way more intelligently and nicely.
So I guess we can say ^qft and move on.
i dont know what's happening anymore
User avatar
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight
Posts: 3052
Joined: 23 Jan 2007, 14:48
Location: Melbourne, Florida
Contact:

Postby CyberTractor » 17 Sep 2007, 14:40

Guys, guys!

Graham called us awesome.
Jer called us smart.

<3
I can't think of a signature.
User avatar
JesterJ.
Posts: 6893
Joined: 12 Nov 2005, 23:00
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Postby JesterJ. » 17 Sep 2007, 14:41

CyberTractor wrote:Graham called us awesome.
Jer called us smart.
<3
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
User avatar
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight
Posts: 3052
Joined: 23 Jan 2007, 14:48
Location: Melbourne, Florida
Contact:

Re: STOP!

Postby CyberTractor » 17 Sep 2007, 14:42

god0fgod wrote:STOP!


Image
Image

Almost didn't catch it.
I can't think of a signature.
User avatar
Pattmyn
Posts: 331
Joined: 22 Jul 2007, 14:45
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Contact:

Postby Pattmyn » 17 Sep 2007, 14:44

Oh god, that took me a minute to figure out.
User avatar
James
LRR Crew
Posts: 3007
Joined: 20 Mar 2004, 13:14
Location: Victoria
Contact:

Postby James » 17 Sep 2007, 14:44

*claps*

Thank you Jeremy.

It's very simple people.

This board is here for people to have fun. Talk to one another about LRR, Video games, random stuff on the internet, ect. I have no issues with the topics that Godofgod brings up. There are important issuses that should not be ignored. However i also believe those issues are not something that people need to be constantly reminded of. Hence the loadingreadyrun.com general forum.

Understand that if you post something about religion, war, ect. that post will not end well. I can assure you that 99% of the time people will jump to the conclusion you are just trolling and looking to start a flame war. And while that might not be the case its hard to change how the internet works and thinks as a whole.

But if you can do it, I'll give you a cookie.+
User avatar
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast
Posts: 5699
Joined: 04 Feb 2007, 21:03
Location: Deep In Space

Postby Alja-Markir » 17 Sep 2007, 14:46

Quite an interesting reflection Jer. Certainly food for thought. I've read it four times and I'm still mulling it over.

My only major objection, and it is a small one, is that you claim everyone here is well educated and well-adjusted. I would argue heavily that we've seen at least the latter half of that statement disproven numerous times, and the former at least a small handful. I myself am guilty of poor adjustment at times, of communication errors, of taking offense where none was meant.

Certain unnamed parties, however, have proven themselves blatantly ignorant and maladjusted, repeatedly. Upon being rebuked by the extant community, said parties persisted with such actions. That leads one to believe such acts were purposeful and malicious, but granting the benefit of the doubt that they were innocent, then the fault is one of ignorance and sloth, and the unwillingness to adapt to meet the needs of the larger community.

~Alja-Markir~
User avatar
Lavos
Lavos
Posts: 4783
Joined: 01 Jan 2006, 23:48
First Video: 1337
Location: Vancouver BC

Re: STOP!

Postby Lavos » 17 Sep 2007, 14:48

What on earth? I never knew this would happen. Stop flaming and insulting please.
This is the mother fucking internet, you can't stop flaming, it will always happen.


I started the first topic that was locked of mine because I wanted to know what people would think. I told myself no just in case but I thought they shouldn't get mad anyway. THerefore I posted an identical topic that did well somewhere else.
Link or didn't happen.

Never did I think this would happen. Stop now! For ____ sake this is out of control. How people get pleasure from flaming is beyond me.
This is a comedy site, flaming is fun if you find a retard that keeps trying to turn this site into a serious one.

Pretend I was never here. I may of triggered this. Don't blame me. Blame yourself.
Yes we can blame you because YOU TRIGGERED IT. You are the cause of the most locked topics. Look at me, I flame and do all that stuff, but I know when I go off the rails. If I know a thread needs to be locked I will ask for a lock, even if its my own fucking thread. So just use common sense and post something that would make at least someone in the world laugh
i dont know what's happening anymore
User avatar
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast
Posts: 5699
Joined: 04 Feb 2007, 21:03
Location: Deep In Space

Re: STOP!

Postby Alja-Markir » 17 Sep 2007, 14:53

Lavos wrote:Look at me, I flame and do all that stuff, but I know when I go off the rails. If I know a thread needs to be locked I will ask for a lock, even if its my own fucking thread.


This is why I like you so much, Lavos. I mean, half the time I want to smack you, but you've got enough sense and restraint to be a lovable bastard, whereas many other people would go too far and just become a giant jackass.

*grins*

~Alja-Markir~
User avatar
The Pious Flea
Posts: 1338
Joined: 25 May 2007, 15:22
Location: The Mote in God's Eye

Re: STOP!

Postby The Pious Flea » 17 Sep 2007, 15:01

Jer wrote:1 - To try and emphasize that nobody here is a moron.


Hey, *I'm* a moron. And proud of it!
I require a dance of intellect. Put on your thinking shoes!

Dance with us, LRR! Dance with us into oblivion!

Do not question me! I control your arms!

Return to “General Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests