Who is Donkey Kong?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

Is Donkey Kong a good guy or a bad guy?

He's all good!
60%
Evil!
40%

Total votes: 25
Kawaiicaps

Who is Donkey Kong?

Postby Kawaiicaps » 01 Oct 2007, 12:55

Yesterday, my nephew (3 years old) was playing my Mario Kart DS and while picking characters was asking who was a good guy, and who was a bad guy.
Well those are easy questions right?
Bowser = bad guy
Daisy = good guy
ect ect

But then he asked who DK was. Is he a good guy or a bad guy? My initial reaction was that he was a bad guy, thinking about back in the days when Mario was "jump man" and DK was tossing barrels, but then I thought about Donkey Kong country where he saves his friends and bananas and stuff. Maybe was not saving the bananas in DKC because he is a good guy though, 'cause he had to get his stolen bananas back! so maybe he is a bad guy after all....
But if he's so bad, what about Diddy Kong? Diddy is nice isn't he? is he really evil under that dense facade?

So now I leave it for you... is he a reformed "bad-guy" or is DK really bad to the bone, er... banana.

-^_^-
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 01 Oct 2007, 13:21

Donkey Kong is a selfish prick. And you know the only reason he kidnapped the princess was for sexual favors.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
YamaroV2

Postby YamaroV2 » 01 Oct 2007, 13:32

Okay. Put it this way. He's a bad guy. Simple. Why? Let's look at it from Mario's perspective.

Some big, fat, hairy ape just took your woman, and is rubbing it in your face for some 20-odd years now. What'chu gonna do?
No longer your barrel-rolling monkey.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 01 Oct 2007, 13:45

Mario and Jump Man were different games.

DK is reformed I'd say, being as they let him hang out with them.
Also, the whole his-owns-games-and-a-TV-show-thing.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 01 Oct 2007, 14:20

DK is a good guy, because he and Mario are bros. Here's why (Not really suitable for children)...

If you notice, the Donkey Kong who threw barrels captured a girl who looks nothing like Peach. "Jump man" clearly was the bad guy in this game, cuz he was tryin to mack off of DK to bang D's girlfriend, who was a tease and a ho. Finally, DK coundln't handle it so he broke it off with the ho and moved to the suburban Mushroom Kingdom. She later became a part of a adult entertainment act involving ping pong balls and a donkey.

He met Mario and all his posse at the local farmer's market, where Mario was buying portabellas and a dozen tulips for his monogamous heterosexual life partner, Peach, whom he calls his Princess. DK and Mario hit it off when they discovered they both had an affinity for go kart racing and grilled Havarti and Strawberry Jam sandwiches. While Mario when for his Pharm.D at the local medical school, DK was secretly training the rest of Mario's posse for the Mushroom cup in Mario's name.
Kawaiicaps

Postby Kawaiicaps » 01 Oct 2007, 14:48

tak197 wrote:DK is a good guy, because he and Mario are bros. Here's why (Not really suitable for children)...

If you notice, the Donkey Kong who threw barrels captured a girl who looks nothing like Peach. "Jump man" clearly was the bad guy in this game, cuz he was tryin to mack off of DK to bang D's girlfriend, who was a tease and a ho. Finally, DK coundln't handle it so he broke it off with the ho and moved to the suburban Mushroom Kingdom. She later became a part of a adult entertainment act involving ping pong balls and a donkey.

He met Mario and all his posse at the local farmer's market, where Mario was buying portabellas and a dozen tulips for his monogamous heterosexual life partner, Peach, whom he calls his Princess. DK and Mario hit it off when they discovered they both had an affinity for go kart racing and grilled Havarti and Strawberry Jam sandwiches. While Mario when for his Pharm.D at the local medical school, DK was secretly training the rest of Mario's posse for the Mushroom cup in Mario's name.

Pics or didn't happen

-^_^-
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 01 Oct 2007, 17:19

Kawaiicaps wrote:Pics or didn't happen
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
blackdragontaz
The Goddamn Batman

Postby blackdragontaz » 01 Oct 2007, 17:23

Hmmm....I'd like to say Donkey Kong is a good guy, but what about the DS game, March of the Minis (w/e the full title is). It's a new generation of "Jump Man" with the Marios going after Donkey Kong for a reason I don't know, seemingly to bee the hero and defeat the "bad guy." Maybe someone who has played the games can shed a bit more light on this subject?
Kawaiicaps

Postby Kawaiicaps » 01 Oct 2007, 17:37

I paper mario (gc version) at one point some people (creatures...) are chearing for mario and one guy is chanting "go jumpman"

-^_^-
blackdragontaz
The Goddamn Batman

Postby blackdragontaz » 01 Oct 2007, 17:41

Kawaiicaps wrote:I paper mario (gc version) at one point some people (creatures...) are chearing for mario and one guy is chanting "go jumpman"

-^_^-

Wait.....that's not during the fight with Rawk the Hawk is it? I seem to remember seeing one of the audience members shouting that before the fight.
Kawaiicaps

Postby Kawaiicaps » 01 Oct 2007, 17:44

yeah it is! glad to see i'm not the only adult that played that thing through.

Game was totally made for 12 year olds :)
-^_^-
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 01 Oct 2007, 19:04

Actually, there's a very simple explanation for all this. I mean an actual explanation.

DK is definitely a good guy. How to reconcile the first DK game? Simple: That wasn't the same DK. The DK from the Donkey Kong Country, the current DK, is actually the ape formerly known as Donkey Kong Jr., the hero of the second DK game. The original Donkey Kong is now known as Cranky Kong.
-Wraith
YamaroV2

Postby YamaroV2 » 01 Oct 2007, 19:27

Holy fuck, that's so understandable.
No longer your barrel-rolling monkey.
Citin

Postby Citin » 01 Oct 2007, 20:34

Wraith wrote:Actually, there's a very simple explanation for all this. I mean an actual explanation.

DK is definitely a good guy. How to reconcile the first DK game? Simple: That wasn't the same DK. The DK from the Donkey Kong Country, the current DK, is actually the ape formerly known as Donkey Kong Jr., the hero of the second DK game. The original Donkey Kong is now known as Cranky Kong.

That won my vote
"I'll be in Africa. If you need me just phone Africa, I told them to expect your call." - The Pointy Haired Boss
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 01 Oct 2007, 21:33

Citin wrote:
Wraith wrote:Actually, there's a very simple explanation for all this. I mean an actual explanation.

That won my vote

Quoted for truth.
I can't think of a signature.
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 02 Oct 2007, 08:10

Heh, yea, that's my favorite part of the mythos. The original Donkey Kong Country features Cranky (AKA the original DK) giving advice and occasionally offering support to DK, all the way ranting about "the old days."
-Wraith
blackdragontaz
The Goddamn Batman

Postby blackdragontaz » 02 Oct 2007, 17:01

Kawaiicaps wrote:yeah it is! glad to see i'm not the only adult that played that thing through.

Game was totally made for 12 year olds :)
-^_^-

I'm suprised I actually remembered that right off the bat. It's been so long since I've played it, too, years even. My bro beat the ever-loving crap out of it, I just got the story. I still need to finish Super Paper Mario.

And Wraith does have a point. Donkey Kong as we know him isn't the same as the "Jump Man" DK, so we have the second, nicer, generation of DK ('cause Cranky Kong is a bit mean and would probably go back to steal Daisy again if he could).
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 05 Oct 2007, 12:13

hes a good guy, the donkey kong that was in the arcades is now known as cranky kong
scorpkahnpoop

Postby scorpkahnpoop » 05 Oct 2007, 14:25

Paul Mckenna is the real bad guy. He hypnotised donkey kong into being horrible.
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 05 Oct 2007, 15:52

Like Graham said. DK is reformed.

Many characters have rough pasts. Some used to serve evil coorperations. Some used to rape princesses and throw barrels at people.

The point is, he changed his ways.
Anguswaffle

Postby Anguswaffle » 05 Oct 2007, 20:05

Never thought of it like that... but its very plausable.
CheeseGrater

Postby CheeseGrater » 13 Oct 2007, 21:05

If the good folks at Wikipedia are to be believed:

...in DKC2, Cranky states that when he was young, he was always "whisking away maidens and throwing barrels".

DEFINITIVE.

Return to “General Discussion”