Desert Bus For Hope

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
James
LRR Crew

Desert Bus For Hope

Postby James » 08 Nov 2007, 18:19

This will be the official thread for Desert Bus. All questions and comments regarding this event should be posted in this thread.

To start you off a couple quick links:

www.desertbus.org - The Official Site
www.childsplaycharity.org - The Official Child's Play Site
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6133494132 - The Desert Bus Facebook Group.

Understand guys you are some of the first people outside the crew and close friends to know about this. We appreciate the "lets get the word out" attitude we have seen in the last 24 hours. But we would appreciate it if you just kept this to word of mouth right now. We have plans to getting this out there. Hopefully you will see that plan in full tilt early next week. For now we thank you very much for your donations! We are already at 331.00 and we haven't even really started to promote this yet.

KEEP UP THE AWESOME WORK.
Hawkaris
First Video: 1337

Postby Hawkaris » 08 Nov 2007, 18:23

The charity is awesome on a personal level that just goes beyond words. Mostly because I played an emulated version of that game a while back.
I am a bit concerned about your hour/price guide. You stated that you want to break the record, which I understand to be 12 points. Now, at 8 hours per point times 13 points, you'd be at it for 104 hours, which means ~$16000. According to the press release, you only expect to raise $5000 (not even 11 points). Which is it?

Also, I advise posting something up over on Pennfans.net if you haven't already considered it. There are only a few regulars over there, but a couple of them do have the ear of Penn.

---The following is the result of getting very bored in math class just after listening to the podcast. It is boring, and useless, but I felt like sharing it anyway. Sorry in advance for those that bother to read it.---

Also, I don't know if I fully support your exponential growth formula. After 62 hours, You'll be making more than a dollar/minute to keep driving that bus. After you get that $50,000 from Penn and Teller, a dollar will barely even buy a second of your time. If you were to somehow match every penny that Child's Play has ever raised, you would be just one point over a week of playtime.

Right now, people are paying $20 for an hour of your suffering, which does a great job encouraging donations (mostly of the $20 amount). After earning four days of driving, though, I see people being discouraged from donating if it would take $660 for just one more hour.

I know it is a little late to be making suggestions, but I see two ways of fixing this:

1. A user-friendly tiered system of hour value. Every ten hours, up the cost of each hour. The tiers allow you to throttle the cost of an hour when/if it starts costing ridiculous amounts of money.
Hours 1-10 $4. (40)
Hours 11-20 $6 (100)
Hours 21-30 $10 (200)
Hours 31-40 $15 (350)
Hours 41-50 $25 (600)
Hours 51-60 $50 (1100)
Hours 61-70 $90 (2000)
Hours 71-80 $150 (3500)
Hours 81-90 $250 (6000) (This is where your system starts cost more/hour than this example.)

2. A slower exponential growth with a higher base. Say, A base of $10 and 4% interest. This doesn't change your playing time too much if you make $5000. Were you to make more than that, though, it would hold off the dollar/second threshold for another 40,000 dollars.

Um, yeah. Sorry about all that. Perhaps it was a bad idea to mix the podcast with math class.
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 08 Nov 2007, 18:24

My god, you guys are going to be driving for a long time.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 08 Nov 2007, 18:47

That's some good math, Hawkaris, but believe me we spent a lot of time finagling the system. We're pretty happy with it as it is.
Also, yes, we will be getting ahold of P&T, believe me.

As for our "goals"... the goal is donations, but making a Desert Bus record would be nice too. We'd LIKE to get far in the game, but our real actual goal is breaking $5000 for Child's Play.
The Pious Flea

Re: Desert Bus For Hope

Postby The Pious Flea » 08 Nov 2007, 19:15

James wrote:We appreciate the "lets get the word out" attitude we have seen in the last 24 hours. But we would appreciate it if you just kept this to word of mouth right now.

"Hey, Larry? Cancel the skywriter."
"But he's already written 'Desert Bu'!"
"Well, tell him to leave off the 's' and we'll considered the matter closed."

"'Desert Bu'?! What the -"
I require a dance of intellect. Put on your thinking shoes!

Dance with us, LRR! Dance with us into oblivion!

Do not question me! I control your arms!
JamesTheWarrior

Postby JamesTheWarrior » 08 Nov 2007, 19:22

so Bill's is taking place eh? WHY ISN'T HE FIGHTING NINJAS?
Also why was he fighting ninjas, and how many did he fight to a standstill. I have doubts that he would/could actually beat them...
anyway I'll donate some money if you let me know (as a side note i donate to other organizations so it's more a financial challenge than a moral one)
I'm too busy to answer that, but i laugh at oyur ignorance.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 08 Nov 2007, 20:23

Does Lavos fall into the other online entertainment category in your press release?
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 08 Nov 2007, 22:05

I really, really like this. I'm thinking I might donate, we'll see how lazy I get. To cash my paychecks or to not cash my paychecks...
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Lavos
Lavos

Postby Lavos » 08 Nov 2007, 22:11

If I were a rich son of a bitch I would donate ALL of my money for this.
i dont know what's happening anymore
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 08 Nov 2007, 22:38

Guess what? It may not have been much, as I plan on donating more when I get more, but I just put you guys into the 48 hour range. Good luck to you guys, we all know you can do it!

If only there was a bus passenger list for you guys to see who from the forums and all are "riding to Vegas" with you at any time in the game play, I'd totally sign on for whenever I was online.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 08 Nov 2007, 22:44

So I may have missed this in the podcast, but are you guys also filming you PLAYING it, a la Sleep Dep. Experiment?

Please say yes?
Lavos
Lavos

Postby Lavos » 08 Nov 2007, 23:00

^
Listen to podcast again.

Live feed starting at 6 AM friday.
PST
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 08 Nov 2007, 23:01

Lavos wrote:^
Listen to podcast again.

PST

6:00pm
Lavos
Lavos

Postby Lavos » 08 Nov 2007, 23:03

James wrote:
Lavos wrote:^
Listen to podcast again.

PST

6:00pm
Oh thank god.
I was playing fallout 2 and my mind blanks when I'm killing innocents.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Best fundraiser ever!

Postby Evil Jim » 09 Nov 2007, 00:29

After waiting years & years for its eventual non-release I finally got to play Desert Bus along with Penn & Teller's Smoke & Mirrors a year or so ago. It's really spectacular how dull of a game it is which makes me love it all the more. I bet Penn would love this. He was still enthusiastic about the game when talking about it in his podcast a while back. When they created the game he was hoping that a bunch of college students or something would get together for a marathon run high score & win the contest that P&T were going to offer. The prize I believe, was an actual bus trip to Vegas along the same route in the game, but this time with a full party, bar & band on board.

When I first heard of this I thought it was going to be like those charities my school held when I was young where we'd get sponsors who would donate so much money per mile & then we'd go to a track & walk & walk & walk, earning donations for as long as we could travel.

I hope you have put a maximum limit on how much time you're willing to spend playing in case you end up receiving a lot of money. I wouldn't want you to have to quit your jobs & LRR to play Desert Bus for the rest of your life.

So will it be played on a vintage Sega CD or an emulator? One advantage of the latter is that an unscrupulous soul such as myself could increase the frame rate & play through a full 8 hour game in about 90 minutes.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 09 Nov 2007, 01:26

Do not worry it would take trillions of dollars for them to play longer than two weeks. One week would require over a million dollars.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 09 Nov 2007, 01:31

Lord Chrusher wrote:Do not worry it would take trillions of dollars for them to play longer than two weeks. One week would require over a million dollars.

Ah, whew! I hadn't quite wrapped my head around the math in the formula they're using. I'm more of a whatchacallit-brained person.
YamaroV2

Postby YamaroV2 » 09 Nov 2007, 03:24

Absolutely friggen serious question.

What if I want to donate an amount I wouldn't trust paypal with?
No longer your barrel-rolling monkey.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 09 Nov 2007, 04:05

Dear LRR,

It has come to our attention that you may be playing this tedious game for many days, for a FANTASTIC cause. If this should occupy so much time, we find it acceptable and even ENCOURAGED to take a break from the Friday update.

Thanks,

LRR Fans
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
The Pious Flea

Postby The Pious Flea » 09 Nov 2007, 05:22

Or make the Friday update a montage of the greatest moments from the gameplaying session! (All sections of the montage are essentially identical.)
I require a dance of intellect. Put on your thinking shoes!

Dance with us, LRR! Dance with us into oblivion!

Do not question me! I control your arms!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 09 Nov 2007, 10:04

The Pious Flea wrote:Or make the Friday update a montage of the greatest moments from the gameplaying session!

That's our plan!
I'm not a driver, so I'll be filming.
jtaylor
ASCII Ninja
First Video: Talk Like a Pirate

Postby jtaylor » 09 Nov 2007, 13:55

tak197 wrote:If only there was a bus passenger list for you guys to see who from the forums and all are "riding to Vegas" with you at any time in the game play, I'd totally sign on for whenever I was online.

There will be a chat channel, right?
That would make a good passenger section of the bus.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 09 Nov 2007, 14:58

jtaylor wrote:
tak197 wrote:If only there was a bus passenger list for you guys to see who from the forums and all are "riding to Vegas" with you at any time in the game play, I'd totally sign on for whenever I was online.

There will be a chat channel, right?
That would make a good passenger section of the bus.

In the words of the Guinness brewers...
BRILLIANT!!
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 09 Nov 2007, 15:59

IRC's gonna be packed, eh? ;)
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 09 Nov 2007, 21:36

JesterJ. wrote:IRC's gonna be packed, eh? ;)

Any clues as to a true freeware IRC client, cuz then I would download it and be an IRC god.

Return to “General Discussion”