A Challenge! or, a Brain-leaking horror fest.

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

A Challenge! or, a Brain-leaking horror fest.

Postby AlexanderDitto » 14 Jan 2008, 16:41

I really need to stop reading Reddit.

Warning: beyond this simple hyper link lies a quagmire of stupidity that will hold you like a tar pit. You won't be able to look away!

I warned you!

If you've survived, what I want to know is... how many of these people are there? Does it just seem like they're everywhere because they're SO dumb, they draw attention to themselves? Or is it as bad I as I fear, that a huge majority of people are just stupid?

Also, I'm a Catholic, and I'M offended by much of the stupidity and of these people, so it's not as if I'm calling Christians stupid. I don't think being a Christian makes you stupid. I think being stupid makes you stupid.
The Pious Flea

Re: A Challenge! or, a Brain-leaking horror fest.

Postby The Pious Flea » 14 Jan 2008, 16:44

AlexanderDitto wrote:Or is it as bad I as I fear, that a huge majority of people are just stupid?

Yes, most people are just dumb.

There was a time when our instinctual impulses and crude cultural transmission were enough to ensure the survival of stupid humans, but that time came rapidly to an end - just as our time is.

(edit) Further, I suspect that some of those people are just camouflaged trolls.
I require a dance of intellect. Put on your thinking shoes!

Dance with us, LRR! Dance with us into oblivion!

Do not question me! I control your arms!
AlexanderDitto

Re: A Challenge! or, a Brain-leaking horror fest.

Postby AlexanderDitto » 14 Jan 2008, 16:58

The Pious Flea wrote:
AlexanderDitto wrote:Or is it as bad I as I fear, that a huge majority of people are just stupid?

Yes, most people are just dumb.

There was a time when our instinctual impulses and crude cultural transmission were enough to ensure the survival of stupid humans, but that time came rapidly to an end - just as our time is.

(edit) Further, I suspect that some of those people are just camouflaged trolls.

You can see the original posts on some of these if you click the links, and I don't think ANYONE can argue with that conviction, for that long, and not believe at least in part what they're saying. For instance, the guy that insisted that "If your original Hebrew disagrees with my original King James --- your original Hebrew is wrong." He goes on for pages arguing with people about how the King James version is divinely chosen to be correct and perfect and... I just can't take it. It's making me want to claw someone's eyes out.
JohnyMcmuffin
THERE'S Waldo!
First Video: The Stages

Postby JohnyMcmuffin » 14 Jan 2008, 17:20

I am not a religious, though I was raised Mormon and I'm currently at BYU. If it is any comfort to you, the majority of religious people I'm around here would also bleed from the eyes upon reading those. I stopped after a few cause the stupid was just too much. People who are absolute in their convictions regardless of what other people bring up make me annoyed. I take comfort from the fact that there are reasonable, rational people who are also religious, who are willing to question their own beliefs, and accept those of others.

Also take comfort from the words of xkcd (though it ends in a warning)
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 14 Jan 2008, 17:31

BUT HE'S A US SENATOR! D: XD

I laughed. I love xkcd. I think that, as the number of xkcd approaches some finite constant, every situation will have an appropriate xkcd strip that addresses and assuages my fears.

It is a comfort. I go to church every Sunday, and yet I stay away from Christian groups and such because of stuff like this. A shame, because theology, when you start getting into it, is complex and fascinating stuff, even if some of it is completely insane. I spent an entire Tuesday reading Wikipedia articles on Judaism and Islam... I can't say I was surprised to find I knew little about them, but what I was surprised about was how much there was to know.

Augh, it's like looking at a car crash. It's so horrible, I just can't stop.
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 14 Jan 2008, 17:41

You underestimate the power of trolls, Alex, my friend. I am siding with Flea on this one.
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 14 Jan 2008, 17:51

oh my.. i just i can't stop, these people are stupid...

so many of them contradict themselves... "There are a lot of things I have concluded to be wrong, without studying them in-depth. Evolution is one of them. The fact that I don't know that much about it does not bother me in the least." this just makes no sense.. i mean.. huh?

god i just can't stop looking away.. its like a car crash...
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 14 Jan 2008, 17:56

I'm a firm Christian and go to Church every Sunday, but excuse me while I go gouge out my eyes with a rusty spork.
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 14 Jan 2008, 17:58

MMM TROLLS.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 14 Jan 2008, 18:24

While I do not doubt that many of the quotes are by trolls I would think a fair number are genuine. People are that stupid.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 14 Jan 2008, 18:45

Dude. Hardcore trolled:

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?s ... ost1073734

One of the most basic laws in the universe is the Second Law of Thermodynamics. This states that as time goes by, entropy in an environment will increase. Evolution argues differently against a law that is accepted EVERYWHERE BY EVERYONE. Evolution says that we started out simple, and over time became more complex. That just isn't possible: UNLESS there is a giant outside source of energy supplying the Earth with huge amounts of energy. If there were such a source, scientists would certainly know about it.

Man.
JohnyMcmuffin
THERE'S Waldo!
First Video: The Stages

Postby JohnyMcmuffin » 14 Jan 2008, 21:44

Allen! wrote:Dude. Hardcore trolled:

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?s ... ost1073734

One of the most basic laws in the universe is the Second Law of Thermodynamics. This states that as time goes by, entropy in an environment will increase. Evolution argues differently against a law that is accepted EVERYWHERE BY EVERYONE. Evolution says that we started out simple, and over time became more complex. That just isn't possible: UNLESS there is a giant outside source of energy supplying the Earth with huge amounts of energy. If there were such a source, scientists would certainly know about it.

Man.

Does the sun count? That is my answer

Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 14 Jan 2008, 21:45

JohnyMcmuffin wrote:
Does the sun count? That is my answer

I THINK SCIENTISTS WOULD KNOW, JOHNNY.
Karkon

Postby Karkon » 15 Jan 2008, 00:21

I can't read anymore of those quotes.

They're so, so fucking stupid it's actually causing physical pain. I would be quoting my favourites, but I can't bring myself to do it.

Owwwwwww...
As a History student, the history degree I'll be getting will get me a decent job, right? Guys? Where you going?
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 15 Jan 2008, 01:45

There is Christian and there is crazy. That there is crazy.
Kawaiicaps

Postby Kawaiicaps » 15 Jan 2008, 05:22

Enjoying reading from here! I don't have to go to that link, watching you guys suffer is so much fun!
-^_^-
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 15 Jan 2008, 06:07

AmazingPjotrMan wrote:There is Christian and there is crazy. That there is crazy.

Just don't forget that the above two categories aren't always mutually exclusive, just as 'athiest' and 'crazy' aren't, or 'scientist' and 'crazy' or...

"Crazy" truly is a universal constant in the universe; we all have it in us to some extent. :D

That lot, though?

...Nah, my momma taught me not to speak ill of others behind their backs. :P

EDIT: I've actually read a fair chunk of the 'reasoned arguments' over there since yesterday, and I've felt nothing much apart from an impulse to smirk at their quaintness.

You lot feeling physical pain are going to have to come to the conclusion I did about a decade ago on the USENET: people are going to have differing opinions than you, and opinions that are blatantly stupid or wrong...but you will NEVER, ever convince them this is so.

Just gotta learn to 'let sleeping dogs lie'. *shrug* $.02
Elaro
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Elaro » 15 Jan 2008, 19:16

No. Those are trolls, or the top 100 (well Bottom 100) of the stupidest people on the internet. Most people are smarter than that. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
The Hitman

Postby The Hitman » 15 Jan 2008, 19:20

I have personally met and had conversations with people who believe those things (I come from a religious family).

I once talked to a friend of my parents who believed 'rock and roll music' was a tool used by Satan himself to lure children away from Jesus.

I've met many people who assert that evolution and global warming are impossible and made up, that Harry Potter and Dugeons and Dragons are witchcraft used by Satan, etc.

These people really exist and they are terrifying.
"Just another Sunday paddleboat ride on a man-made lake with another lady stranger; if I remain lost and die on a cross, at least i wasn't born in a manger."
The Happy Friar

Postby The Happy Friar » 15 Jan 2008, 20:09

so.... does the person who trolled the net finding these quotes (from the amount, i'd assume baiting them along the way to get some "good ones") count to be just as stupid or MORE stupid?
Not responsible for delays due to incorrect address, payment information, publisher date change, inclement weather or Samus and Solid Snake exchanging vows in a small but tasteful civil ceremony.
The Hitman

Postby The Hitman » 15 Jan 2008, 20:31

The Happy Friar wrote:so.... does the person who trolled the net finding these quotes (from the amount, i'd assume baiting them along the way to get some "good ones" because I possess secret knowledge of the dealings of other people without the need for observation) count to be just as stupid or MORE stupid?

You forgot that part!
"Just another Sunday paddleboat ride on a man-made lake with another lady stranger; if I remain lost and die on a cross, at least i wasn't born in a manger."
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 16 Jan 2008, 06:06

The Happy Friar wrote:so.... does the person who trolled the net finding these quotes (from the amount, i'd assume baiting them along the way to get some "good ones") count to be just as stupid or MORE stupid?

They were submitted by users from various websites, from what I gather, and no, it looks like most of these were either comments that SPARKED intense threadage trying to convince the people that they were mislead, or were comments that eventually got spat out by people trying to (hopelessly) defend their stupid.

I've come to the conclusion that while some are obviously trolls. Some are not. And this frightens me.

I guess I succeeded in bringing a little mental pain to the good users of this board. Go forth and bleed!
OmegaZultan

Postby OmegaZultan » 16 Jan 2008, 12:39

Man, I'm roman catholic and every single one of those posts hurts my brain like a jackhammer hurts a street x_x
--OmegaZultan--
When the world ends, Bill begins.
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 16 Jan 2008, 13:51

I thoroughly enjoy this one:

If your original Hebrew disagrees with my original King James --- your original Hebrew is wrong. If your original Hebrew agrees with my original King James, your original Hebrew is right.

And the one about how it is wrong to read the Bible in any language but English.

Some of these piss me off, but those are just stupid.

Chronology means nothing to these people.
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 16 Jan 2008, 14:07

heeheeheehee

The word of God has been in heaven forever. The KJV has always been there. The so called Hebrew words like Alleluia are English words. The English did not borrow them from the Hebrew but rather the Hebrew borrowed them from the English. If the KJV has always been there and is the original word of God then there is no other conclusion. The same can be said for any so called Greek words that were borrowed from the Greek or transliterated. It is a matter of what bias you approach this particular subject.

heeheeheeheeheeeeeeee

this is more entertaining to me than you could understand

oh man oh man oh man

Jesus is not a Jew. Jesus was Jewish.

i am crying i am laughing so hard right now

Return to “General Discussion”