Daylight Savings Time? (Not related to the video)

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Daylight Savings Time? (Not related to the video)

Postby King Kool » 10 Mar 2008, 17:38

I don't mean to make another topic and hog all the series of tubes, but I think the times next to all the posts are still in standard time. All my old computers update in a few weeks, I think, after they made it that Daylight Savings starts eariler.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 10 Mar 2008, 17:40

Computers should update automatically, as long as they are connected to the Internet. The forums may not have the Daylight Savings Time option turned on in the admin panel, though, or the PHP servers weren't updated for the earlier DST structure.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 10 Mar 2008, 18:07

proudfoot wrote:Computers should update automatically, as long as they are connected to the Internet. The forums may not have the Daylight Savings Time option turned on in the admin panel, though, or the PHP servers weren't updated for the earlier DST structure.

My Windows ME machine doesn't. I had to manually update it. I'm sure if I tried running some kind of update, the whole computer would just die.
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 10 Mar 2008, 18:14

Forums won't change for you because they are international. Not everywhere changes at the same time. Some places don't change until March 30th (like everywhere used to) and I'm pretty sure forums are still on that. Because that is RIGHT. And not stupid.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 10 Mar 2008, 18:18

I guess I forgot this site isn't based in America.

I guess I forgot because I'm an American.

I've really got no opinion about moving the Daylights Savings forward, but does that mean that the Canadian provinces directly north are also one hour behind? (Or, if you prefer, we're one hour fast?)
concupiscentcrustacean
First Video: black box

Postby concupiscentcrustacean » 10 Mar 2008, 18:29

no.

we changed too. that dosn't mean it isn't stupid.
"I studied the ancient art of Origami gun making, and i've folded a pistol out of purest prose. This is an Origami 45. The most powerful poetry in the world."
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 10 Mar 2008, 18:46

some places in the us don't change at all... for example when i went to visit purdue, we got all messed up because they're in between two time zones and half the year follow one and the other half follow the other... it was a bit confusing...
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 10 Mar 2008, 19:27

concupiscentcrustacean wrote:no.

I'm not sure why it's stupid. I'm not sure why it's necessary, either. Maybe that qualifies it as stupid.
Kawaiicaps

Postby Kawaiicaps » 10 Mar 2008, 19:35

the time on my 360 didn't change...

that's stupid
-^_^-
Citin

Postby Citin » 10 Mar 2008, 19:39

Uhh your time isn't changing for me....

There's no such thing as Daylight Savings Time in Saskatchewan, it can make watching tv confusing
"I'll be in Africa. If you need me just phone Africa, I told them to expect your call." - The Pointy Haired Boss
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 10 Mar 2008, 19:45

King Kool wrote:

I'm not sure why it's stupid. I'm not sure why it's necessary, either. Maybe that qualifies it as stupid.

Because the daylight at the end of the day lasts an hour longer. The theory because of this is that people will wait to turn on all the lights in the house an hour later in the day, and we save an hour a day of electricity. But there are people like me who constantly try to keep sun out of the house. I only use light at a time though.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 10 Mar 2008, 21:53

Cake wrote:
King Kool wrote:

Because the daylight at the end of the day lasts an hour longer. The theory because of this is that people will wait to turn on all the lights in the house an hour later in the day, and we save an hour a day of electricity. But there are people like me who constantly try to keep sun out of the house. I only use light at a time though.

That or you could be a farmer? That's the initial reasoning behind Daylight Savings. Now they're just trying to justify it for the present.
theduckthief

Postby theduckthief » 10 Mar 2008, 21:59

Citin wrote:There's no such thing as Daylight Savings Time in Saskatchewan, it can make watching tv confusing

Oh Saskatchewan. Your barbaric ways seem almost quaint to us.

jk
In Soviet Russia Desert Bus crashes Bill twice!
Citin

Postby Citin » 10 Mar 2008, 22:28

Kara wrote:That or you could be a farmer? That's the initial reasoning behind Daylight Savings. Now they're just trying to justify it for the present.

Uhh we don't have daylight savings time here so that the farmers don't have to worry about messing with all this time and space
"I'll be in Africa. If you need me just phone Africa, I told them to expect your call." - The Pointy Haired Boss
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 10 Mar 2008, 23:27

As someone who had to write software that took the hour change into account (Calculating when the best time to observe a star is.) I find the hour change rather silly.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
The Happy Friar

Postby The Happy Friar » 11 Mar 2008, 08:41

Kara wrote:That or you could be a farmer? That's the initial reasoning behind Daylight Savings. Now they're just trying to justify it for the present.

farmers don't like it. They work when sun rises, stop when sun sets. DST messes when their dealings with blue/white collar workers. I don't know a farmer who likes it, many don't care as that doesn't change the lunar time of day they start work, just the time of day people hit the road.
Not responsible for delays due to incorrect address, payment information, publisher date change, inclement weather or Samus and Solid Snake exchanging vows in a small but tasteful civil ceremony.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 11 Mar 2008, 11:02

Okay, here we go again...

DST was first officially proposed by William Willett in 1907, but not implemented until WW1 - it was a way to keep factories working for an extra hour in the afternoon/evening without needing to fire up lights, supposedly saving energy for The War Effort™.

Now the thing to remember is you're not actually magically getting an extra hour of daylight - the sun DOES set later, but it also rises later so you're taking an hour of light from the morning and tacking it on in the evening. You could say one is 'robbing Peter to pay Paul'. :?

Now I'll grant that with the traditional '9 to 5' work patterns, this would save electricity and energy, but really, if it's THAT such a good thing, why aren't we just doing DST all year round? :roll: (at least it wouldn't result in semi-annual 'jetlag' ;) )

Further, more and more I'm seeing offices working pretty much around the clock, so there's ALWAYS the need to use lights for that uniform period of darkness; regardless whether it starts at 8pm or 9pm...
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 11 Mar 2008, 11:21

I prefer my light in the evening.
I'm usually asleep/groggy/surly in the morning, and light hurts my eyes anyway.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 11 Mar 2008, 11:30

incidentally, I heard on the news the other day that this new DST pattern actually did result a 1% reduction in power use accross the US.

-m

I am not angry at you.
scorpkahnpoop

Postby scorpkahnpoop » 11 Mar 2008, 11:46

Daylight saving time is daylight losing time to me because I rarely like to get up early and stay up quite late so it would be better for me to increase the day at the evening not at the morning. Can't wait until I finally get some light in the evening. It get's dark at around a stupid time of 5.30pm and I don't like it.
Kawaiicaps

Postby Kawaiicaps » 11 Mar 2008, 11:53

scorpkahnpoop wrote:Daylight saving time is daylight losing time to me because I rarely like to get up early and stay up quite late so it would be better for me to increase the day at the evening not at the morning. Can't wait until I finally get some light in the evening. It get's dark at around a stupid time of 5.30pm and I don't like it.

It does put the daylight in the evening.....

Think of it this way, if the sun sets at 6 before you put your clock ahead and it sets at 7 after you put it ahead an hour you get an extra hour of sunlight in the evening.

-^_^-
scorpkahnpoop

Postby scorpkahnpoop » 11 Mar 2008, 12:41

But in winter the clocks go back in which removes light from the evening in which is already darker. At the end of the month when the clocks go forwards again things should start to feel more natural to me.
Unclever title

Postby Unclever title » 11 Mar 2008, 14:56

Can't we all just compromise and go a half hour in between? :D

NOTE: Proffessional Sarcastician, closed course, Do NOT attempt.
My train of thought is more like a roller coaster that has loop de loops and no safety bars.
I don't know if I'm tall enough to ride.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 12 Mar 2008, 15:14

Well, outdoor entertainment purveyors (like golf courses, etc.) would prefer the sun to be setting later in the evening, since it would encourage more patronage of them after work. Conversely indoor entertainment purveyors (movie theaters, performing arts, etc. etc.) would prefer the sun to be setting sooner since that would discourage outdoor activity and thus encourage patronage of THEM.

Basically, the farmers get the shaft...like always. :(

My Oliver Stone Tin-Thinking Cap™ tells me that DST is being funded by the country club and amusement park conspiracy cartel. ;)

...but chew on this; the original proponent of Daylight Savings Time, William Willett, was an avid golfer...:?
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 12 Mar 2008, 15:40

It has nothing to do with businesses. It's about energy conservation - the assumption is that if we're awake for more of the day than the night, then people will have to use less electricity for lights.

It was originally done for farmers to have more light to work by.

Return to “General Discussion”