Riddle for u to solve round 2

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Corax
Hangleyman

Riddle for u to solve round 2

Postby Corax » 19 Mar 2008, 12:18

I hope you guys enjoy these and if so ill keep testing your riddle solving skills, ok heres the riddle:

A village has been tormented by a dragon the past few years. So a brave knight challenges the dragon to a game of wit. On this island there are 6 pools of drinking water. Regular water, Poison water level 1, Poison water level 2, Poison water level 3, Poison water level 4, and Poison water level 5 wich only the dragon has access to because it is on top of a mountain. The cure to drinking the poison water is to drink the next level higher of poison water, so if you drink level 3 you need to drink level 4 to cure it. The dragon and the knight agree to each feed the other one drink, then drink one on their own in response.

How does the knight kill the dragon and live to tell the story?
meisbored
First Video: Daylight Savings

Postby meisbored » 19 Mar 2008, 12:26

Obviously he just cuts the dragon's head off with his sword, as per usual.
The end.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 19 Mar 2008, 12:30

feed the dragon plain water. the dragon then drinks poison in response and dies.

-m
Last edited by Matt on 19 Mar 2008, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.

I am not angry at you.
Tiger1313

Postby Tiger1313 » 19 Mar 2008, 12:30

Give the dragon pure water then the dragon therefore will drink poison and die from it.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 19 Mar 2008, 12:33

I agree with Matt and Tiger1313, but what if the dragon feeds the knight Poison 5? There's no cure.
wilson_x1999
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wilson_x1999 » 19 Mar 2008, 12:36

Graham wrote:I agree with Matt and Tiger1313, but what if the dragon feeds the knight Poison 5? There's no cure.

He could always get some aids to cure that :roll:

Also, I agree with Matt and Tiger
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 19 Mar 2008, 12:51

Clearly the knight has been taking increasing amounts of poison to grow immune to it over the years.

Inconceivable!
I can't think of a signature.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 19 Mar 2008, 12:56

They both get all the way up to poison 5 and die, since there is no cure. Knight sacrfices himself for the greater good. THE GREATER GOOD.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 19 Mar 2008, 13:08

CyberTractor wrote:Clearly the knight has been taking increasing amounts of poison to grow immune to it over the years.

Inconceivable!
WINWIWNIWNI
i dont know what's happening anymore
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 19 Mar 2008, 13:59

Question: are the pools of water identifiable? do they know which is which?
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 19 Mar 2008, 14:04

Vaughn wrote:Question: are the pools of water identifiable? do they know which is which?

if you look at a glass of water then you cant tell what it is, Matt and Tiger1313, you have 1/2 of the Riddle solved, but how does the knight remedy the dragon's offering of water.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 19 Mar 2008, 14:11

He says "I think I'll pass."
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 19 Mar 2008, 14:14

TELL the dragon you gave him rank 4, but actually give him pure water.
He'll go "hah, ill give you rank 4 too then, then go drink rank5 and cure myself, while you sit here and die" He'll go get Pure water, thinking its the Rank4 that you gave him, and then go off and kill himself while you sit back and be refreshed.
Do the Catterpillar!

*wiggle wiggle*
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 19 Mar 2008, 14:26

Vaughn wrote:TELL the dragon you gave him rank 4, but actually give him pure water.
He'll go "hah, ill give you rank 4 too then, then go drink rank5 and cure myself, while you sit here and die" He'll go get Pure water, thinking its the Rank4 that you gave him, and then go off and kill himself while you sit back and be refreshed.

ok this works, its kinda dumb in this riddle that you have to assume that the dragon is a cocky prick, but you guys are missing the "and live to tell the story" part
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 19 Mar 2008, 14:34

Im assuming that he gives you pure water, thinking its the Rank4 that you gave him. Therefore you really don't have to drink anything else in response.
As for the having to assume hes a cocky prick... yeah, i was stuck till i remebered, In the words of bill (or maybe morgan?) "the only think better than a coke, is Matt's Coke"
Last edited by Vaughn on 19 Mar 2008, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.
Do the Catterpillar!

*wiggle wiggle*
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 19 Mar 2008, 14:35

you haven't provided enough information. there is no escape from the rank 5 water. pure water doesn't cure it, and there's nothing stopping the dragon from giving it to you. it's not like you've limited it to only 1 use per water type. if the dragon gives you type 5 then you die, and there's no contingency that allows for the elimination of type 5 from the dragons options.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Citin

Postby Citin » 19 Mar 2008, 14:41

Matt wrote:you haven't provided enough information. there is no escape from the rank 5 water. pure water doesn't cure it, and there's nothing stopping the dragon from giving it to you. it's not like you've limited it to only 1 use per water type. if the dragon gives you type 5 then you die, and there's no contingency that allows for the elimination of type 5 from the dragons options.

-m

Yeah there's really no reason for the dragon not to give the knight Number 5 and irrevocably poison him
"I'll be in Africa. If you need me just phone Africa, I told them to expect your call." - The Pointy Haired Boss
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 19 Mar 2008, 14:46

You actually failed the riddle hardcore, Corax. It's not 'The next level' it's 'any higher level'. There's no solution, otherwise. The knight would die.

In actuality, the knight drinks from the lowest level of poisoned wells before the game of wit. The dragon, thinking that only he can reach the fifth well, brings his most powerful poison. The knight gives him water, and the dragon offers his fifth level poison.

The knight's first level of poison is cured by the fifth level, while the dragon's fifth level of poison water manages to poison himself.

Ta da.

Edit: I honestly shouldn't've answered this, considering I've answered it before, but... I hate seeing a failmate. Er, stalemate.
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 19 Mar 2008, 14:49

thank you allen. I knew there was an issue with how the riddle had been asked.

-m

I am not angry at you.
JohnyMcmuffin
THERE'S Waldo!
First Video: The Stages

Postby JohnyMcmuffin » 19 Mar 2008, 14:50

I really don't like this, because it require cheating for the knight to win. I like riddles where you operate within the parameters to find the solution, not do something like 'drink before hand'.
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 19 Mar 2008, 15:16

There's no rules saying you can't poison yourself before. It's merely a "Here you drink this, and I'll drink something you give me."

Inside the rules.
Outside the box.

It's no more cheating than drinking poison to build up an immunity.
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
JohnyMcmuffin
THERE'S Waldo!
First Video: The Stages

Postby JohnyMcmuffin » 19 Mar 2008, 16:54

Allen! wrote:There's no rules saying you can't poison yourself before. It's merely a "Here you drink this, and I'll drink something you give me."

Inside the rules.
Outside the box.

It's no more cheating than drinking poison to build up an immunity.

I see it more as 'here the situation, here's the set up', oh but to solve it, do something beforehand. It isn't that bad, but I still don't like it.
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 19 Mar 2008, 17:58

I agree with you.

This is a lateral thinking problem. I hate them because they are so circumstantial and their solutions are often really off the wall, but not in an intellectual way, but a gimmicky sort of way.
I can't think of a signature.
Scone

Postby Scone » 19 Mar 2008, 19:01

I will play the dragon.

I suspect that this dumb knight has done something funny to try and best me even though I am an ancient, terrible beast and really have almost no reason /not/ to stomp on him. But you know, I just got my front claws manicured, so lets roll with this fool.

If he were dumb, I could just give him level 4 poison because there is no accessible cure for him. I'll bet he already knows this, so I must suspect him of shenanigans. Thus, as the contest starts and he offers me his water, I am going to take a nap. That's right, a really fucking long nap. Believe you me, dragons are pretty good at naps, they can last for /years/. It doesn't matter how strong the poison is, the fool will eventually just die because he is an honorable prick and won't break the rules by curing himself before I give him my drink.
<- <- <- <- HOPE

Image To The Lab! Image
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 19 Mar 2008, 19:06

the only problem with the riddle is that you have to assume the dragon is a cocky douche. Allen pretty much got it, but it is only the next level higher water so the knight drink rank 4 before the game and then is able to drink rank 5 as a cure and not as a poison. it does work with the wording that i provided but you have to assume that the knight is smarter than the dragon and that the dragon assumes theres no possible way for the knight to win. also matt loses.

-c

Return to “General Discussion”