Doctor Who Season Four (Spoilers)

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
AeroCmdr
Requires Additional Pylons

Postby AeroCmdr » 13 Apr 2008, 17:40

I <3 world play.
Swaldo

Postby Swaldo » 18 Apr 2008, 18:11

I'm pissed.

They're just ending season 3 on BBCAmerica tomorrow and they just showed "Voyage of the Damned" on Sci-fi.

I'm reading your posts and going, "Jesus Christ I gotta see what's going on".

My tv channels suck T_T
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 18 Apr 2008, 18:50

Who said I was watching it on television?
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Karkon

Postby Karkon » 19 Apr 2008, 06:48

Ah, on the BBC website you can watch the episodes for free.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/episodes/

Minor problem for me though that the iplayer thing crashes my computer HARDCORE. So bad when it boots up it forgets it has windows xp installed. No joke. It's keeps prompting for a cd to boot from, I shit bricks, and have to turn it on and off repeatedly before it remembers windows is, in fact, installed.

...the last episode this happened 3 times, such was my determination to watch Dr. Who. Yeah. On the 3rd death, it took 40 mins to convince my computer to actually turn on, let alone get to the cd prompt, all the while making soothing noises, and encouraging bedside talk to my stricken computer. Totally torrenting it now.
As a History student, the history degree I'll be getting will get me a decent job, right? Guys? Where you going?
Dr Frankenjam

Postby Dr Frankenjam » 19 Apr 2008, 06:53

Jesus Dr Who is bad now.
I watched the first episode of the new series and its absolutely attrocious. I actually liked the first series with Eccleston.. and even the first Tennant one. But now i can't stand it... it's actually worse than Torchwood... that sentence doesn't even seem syntactically possible.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 19 Apr 2008, 18:35

Dr Frankenjam wrote:Jesus Dr Who is bad now.
I watched the first episode of the new series and its absolutely attrocious. I actually liked the first series with Eccleston.. and even the first Tennant one. But now i can't stand it... it's actually worse than Torchwood... that sentence doesn't even seem syntactically possible.

I don't think I've ever seen a post by you in which you admitted to liking something. Not a LRR video, not Doctor Who... yeep!

Today's episode was fantastic. Ood! Again, no awkward sexual tension, just awesome storyline. I must admit, though, it seemed like the Doctor didn't get much dialog in this episode... I guess a lot of it was running about back and forth and Ood zapping people. Still, pretty cool. Also, the Doctor running away from the giant claw should have been really funny, but instead it was really intense. O_O Frightening.

And next episode: Sontarans! D: One of the few Fourth Doctor episodes I've seen the Sontaran experiment... was pretty boring, actually. Mostly shots of them stumbling about some remote English countryside. Also they're ugly. MOAR DOCTOR BEING AWESOME PLZ. Martha's coming back... I'm a bit worried about this. She'd better not be a complete prude. Why can't she just be an awesome butt-kicking medical student, just like Donna is a crazy 40-something "I peed a little bit right then" middle aged woman?
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 19 Apr 2008, 18:39

Doctor Who, as a TV program, was always known for putting quality of writing over special effects.

That priority seems to have been reversed of late.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 19 Apr 2008, 18:44

Melendwyr wrote:Doctor Who, as a TV program, was always known for putting quality of writing over special effects.

That priority seems to have been reversed of late.

I must admit, that explosion was completely pointless and unnecessary. And oh lordy, I hope the next episode isn't a Russel T Davis one...
Karkon

Postby Karkon » 20 Apr 2008, 05:26

I liked the Ood episode, not as good as previous, but still way better then first. My annoyances however were these points;

1.) 42nd century and still carrying around guns? Okay, didn't annoy me that bad, 'cos I love Firefly, and they had an explanation for that, so I just imagined somebody pointing that out. Unlike Firefly, however, these guns are useless.

2.) You fighting a creature who's only dangerous within 3 feet, and you're carrying very big guns. C'mon people! That should of been an Ood massacre! Sure, there were lots of them, but all those soldiers had to do was to regroup, form a line behind some cover, and blam! Dead Ood. Hell, forming a frickin' square like 19th English soldiers did would of worked. Instead, everyone was 'let's run around aimlessly and be picked off! Yay!'

Dammit. The second I see anyone holding anything bigger then a pistol you know they're dead. Also, I must stop watching Confidential, as Russell T Davies lurks there. Also, 'Look into the face of DEATH!' was hilarious. Also, uh, nevermind.
As a History student, the history degree I'll be getting will get me a decent job, right? Guys? Where you going?
Zombaholic
First Video: Bioshocked

Postby Zombaholic » 20 Apr 2008, 11:07

Yeah...bee's again...Nudge nudge

It was a nice episode, a bit boring though in my opinion. Thing is though, it was still pretty action packed. The story overall was good, I can't really pick at it because it was solid enough for me to get through.

And yeah, the Ood really don't seem like a real force to be reckoned with. They could easily be taken down.

At any rate, it was a good episode

Also BEE'S!
Ask me anything about Reboot!
Don't ask me anything about reboot
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 20 Apr 2008, 17:28

ok, so something about the ood seriously skeeves me out... i think it might be the tenticles coming out of the mouth area, but i'm not sure...

but yeah, i enjoyed the episode, i half expected the doctor to invite the public relations chick to become a companion... but oh noes it was a twist! and she totally sold them out...
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Dr Frankenjam

Postby Dr Frankenjam » 21 Apr 2008, 01:25

AlexanderDitto wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a post by you in which you admitted to liking something. Not a LRR video, not Doctor Who... yeep!

Hey I've liked stuff! I've liked plenty LRR Vids. It's easier to say pejorative things about something than vice versa though so i tend not to bother if loads of people have already gone "omg grate vyd gyz!!11!!"
Hawkaris
First Video: 1337

Postby Hawkaris » 21 Apr 2008, 08:38

It felt like the Doctor didn't do anything this episode. I mean, if he never showed up, it all would have gone down in an almost identical manner.

The "science" of this episode was quite lacking, too. The premise of the episode was "a subservient race couldn't naturally evolve." Spoilers. Then they show that the "naturally evolved" race is one that carries around a fragile brain and receives thought-commands from a giant brain in a hole. Yeah. That makes more sense than a natural slave race.

I think the writers spent too much time sleeping with their polyhedral dice. Can anyone else think of a psychic, brain-eating, mouth-tentacled monster that follows the will of a giant subterranean brain? Anything? Maybe if they brought back Satan, it would have run more smoothly. In fact, when the terrorist fell into the pit, seeing him land in the gaping maw of a chained-up Beelzebub would have been much more entertaining than what actually happened.

And the ending, in which everyone put down their weapons and started holding hands in a giant circle and singing Kumbaya: that was the straw. They Ood were freakin' lobotomised! They are missing half of their brain! But now, suddenly they're all "back to normal," except Ood Sigma, who was already somehow normal the entire time, and so they're singing happy-go-lucky songs of love? And the episode had such premise, too.

At least they did a good job of lowering my expectations for Helen Raynor's upcoming episodes. They say she's learned where her mistakes were. I can only hope.
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 21 Apr 2008, 14:18

yeah, shouldn't the ood without the second half of their brains, go crazy? as in the two brains are fighting? which is what the doctor said would happen...

anyway, as soon as the leader guy said his hair was falling out and was drinking something from the Sigma ood, i was like, he's gonna turn into an ood... and then he did... and i was disapointed...
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Whatchamabiscut

Postby Whatchamabiscut » 21 Apr 2008, 14:56

Dr Frankenjam wrote:Hey I've liked stuff! I've liked plenty LRR Vids. It's easier to say pejorative things about something than vice versa though so i tend not to bother if loads of people have already gone "omg grate vyd gyz!!11!!"

You don't like Torchwood. I'm sorry but that means that you are to be shunned. Anyways season three of Doctor Who was the best so far, note that I'm not counting season four although it is off to an ok start at best. I find the new companion really annoying.
Hawkaris
First Video: 1337

Postby Hawkaris » 21 Apr 2008, 15:09

Whatchamabiscut wrote:You don't like Torchwood. I'm sorry but that means that you are to be shunned.

I believe you are exactly wrong in this sentiment. Most people in their right minds should have given up on Torchwood after the first few episodes, if that long. Those people that continued to support the show after the sex-demon and that cyberwoman should be the ones being shunned.
Zombaholic

Postby Zombaholic » 21 Apr 2008, 15:15

Hawkaris wrote: Those people that continued to support the show after the sex-demon and that cyberwoman should be the ones being shunned.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, Now slow it down for me. There was a demon that has sex? A sexy demon? Or more like a cougar that goes rawer? And this cyberwoman...
AeroCmdr
Requires Additional Pylons

Postby AeroCmdr » 21 Apr 2008, 15:48

Bees?
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 21 Apr 2008, 15:57

Torchwood is a glorious tragedy. It's capable of being so much more... but that potential is wasted.

I am increasingly annoyed with the whole of the BBC.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
'"
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 21 Apr 2008, 16:15

I like Torchwood, but I can fully admit that it is not very good. And I agree that Doctor Who is sucking a bit, but it can be fixed easily, and I think it will probably get better soon.
Karkon

Postby Karkon » 21 Apr 2008, 16:32

I don't particularly like Torchwood. I still watch the bloody thing sporadically, and regret it. It has it's moments. If they bring Spike, or whatever his name it, as a permenent charcter in the next series, and he doesn't spend the entire time being emo after Jack/humping Jack/humping Jack and Yanto/humping Jack and Yanto at the same time then maybe... maybe it deserves another shot.

Who the fuck am I kidding... fucking Russell T. Davies... IF YOU SPEND 1900 YEARS BURIED UNDERGROUND REPEATEDLY DYING YOU GO BAT SHIT LOCO.

...gah.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 21 Apr 2008, 16:47

Maybe Jack IS loco. Maybe he's become so crazy that it's indistinguishable from sanity.

That's what happens when your SAN drops below zero.
'"
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 21 Apr 2008, 17:39

Bees... if that doesn't either become a recurring thing this season, or get an episode written about it, I will be severely disappointed.

Jack was such a good character until he wasn't able to be killed. That just makes the whole thing pointless. Now he's just Nympho-Gary-Stu. John Barrowman is still probably the sexiest man in the universe, though.

The more I think about the Ood episode, the more I think I dislike it. I mean, it was fun to watch, but it lacked any sort of awesomeness. It was... sort of blah. The Doctor run here, Donna run there, shoot some Ood, and we're done. It didn't even make sense, as Korri pointed out. More plot holes than a novel in a colander. Giant brain in a hole? Did they just conveniently forget that the planet is very very cold? Would the brain really just sit there in a hole in the ground?

Needs more Doctor/Donna wordplay.

Whatever. The Ood are too friendly to be scary, even when they're slavering like a wild Zoidberg (and seriously, was I not the only one thinking Doctor Zoidberg when the Ood started foaming at the tentacles?) and with the Simpsons nod, I wouldn't be surprised if it was done on purpose.

And oh God, the Sontarans are back. "We're not scary, we're just hideous and our heads are shaped like potatos!"

Yes, the Impossible Planet was much better than this.

That said, I still think The Fires of Pompeii was pretty good.
Zombaholic

Postby Zombaholic » 26 Apr 2008, 21:44

Pretty solid episode in this ones opinion. It was nice to see Martha again, but then BAM! You find out she becomes a hardass and is a high ranking officer. Huzza! And all that. I liked that nerdy kid. He was just so cute with the aliens as they did their final chant. Crab People, Crab People...

There were also those two soldiers that were in the cloning room and then were converted. I thought they were pretty cool, but, like everything I love, they were converted into slaves (You should have seen the incident with my dog). So it was pretty awesome and I can't wait to see the second part.

I have five LRR dollars that says that the brainwashed die when the doctor saves the day. Who'll take me up?
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 26 Apr 2008, 22:11

The fourth episode, The Sontaran Stratagem

I think it is better that Planet of the Ood and Partners in Crime (No Russell T Davies) but it is the first part of a two part so we will have to wait and see.

Martha makes her return - I do not find her return as bad as Rose's in the first episode since she is not trapped in an unreachable alternate dimension and acts as a way to bring the Doctor into the story. We do not need Donna being torn about being a companion yet - we have only had her a third of a season.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.

Return to “General Discussion”