Doctor Who Season Four (Spoilers)

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 30 May 2008, 09:04

Too bad we have to wait until 2010 for Steve Moffat to take over.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 31 May 2008, 19:09

For now, though... we have Moffat scaring the crap out of me. LIBRARIES!

Fantastic. More exceptional writing, at least I think so. Haha, "who, me? Pretty?"

Stupid girl! Don't wander away on your own through a door that goes and opens itself! Augh! That's like, rule number one.
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 31 May 2008, 19:55

who else was expecting the doctor to say "you are the one..."

my prediction: the people became the books and are now living in some wierd virtual environment.... pretty much the matrix but with books...
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 01 Jun 2008, 08:53

korri wrote:who else was expecting the doctor to say "you are the one..."

my prediction: the people became the books and are now living in some wierd virtual environment.... pretty much the matrix but with books...

Well, I think we know the "saved" people are in the faces database, like Donna. D:

Also the flying books hitting people made me giggle.
Karkon

Postby Karkon » 01 Jun 2008, 08:54

Silence In The Library = Me likey very much.

It's nice to be positive with a Doctor Who episode instead of feeling disappointed :) I did like the early twist, the girl/security camera thing. Very well done. Go Moffat!
As a History student, the history degree I'll be getting will get me a decent job, right? Guys? Where you going?
AeroCmdr
Requires Additional Pylons

Postby AeroCmdr » 02 Jun 2008, 01:25

I really can't wait for part 2.
RobertMc123

Doctor who

Postby RobertMc123 » 02 Jun 2008, 01:41

The last episode the Agatha Christie episode was okay, but they really kicked it up a notch with this episode, Silence In The Library, I really enjoyed it. The whole Swarm In A Suit was creepy and I can't wait to see what happens next.

The only thing I really don't like about this Season is the whole Rose storyline. We all know it is leading up to her returning and dying because that way she can never come back. I think she was better off leaving after Series 2, and then Martha was there for the third series, but for 3/4 of the third series they always made mention of Rose and that was annoying. It was like "yeah we have Martha, but really we're going to remind you that Rose isn't there." And then 4th Series barely any mention of Martha expect the episodes she was actually in. despite the fact that Martha was the best assistant for the doctor.
Hawkaris
First Video: 1337

Postby Hawkaris » 02 Jun 2008, 09:33

I'd say that this was the best episode of the season, but that wouldn't be fair to the episode. It deserves higher praise.

Just so I can get the complaints out of the way: the swarm would've done much better without the suit on. I hope there is a good reason it decided to hang out with a skeleton instead of just flying after the gang. And the faces, while a creepy little idea, would have worked better as something closer to a hologram. Then, at the end, the Doctor would have had a moment of relief to see that Donna was somehow fine, just before she started her monotonous refrain.

That being said, this episode was pure and condensed awesome. It's like Moffat said to himself, "I only have one episode this series, so I'm going to stick in as many ideas as possible." So he did: "Spoilers" (this is also a warning), a woman that has been with a future version of the Doctor (with his sonic screwdriver), a planet-sized library, a computer that thinks it is a little girl (great acting, btw), the main villain being "darkness" (which, up until now, I was afraid would end up being very cheesy), and the whole "ghosting" thing. He probably traumatized several children with that episode, who will now be afraid of dust motes bouncing in sunbeams.

"Hey! Who turned out the lights?"
"Donna Noble has left the library."
"Donna Noble has been saved."

Damn you, cliffhanger.
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 02 Jun 2008, 20:34

This episode is much better. Unlike earlier in the season I can not wait to the next one.
Heathen
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Heathen » 07 Jun 2008, 10:50

I must watch too much Sci-Fi, or perhaps just too much Moffat, because as soon as River Song whispered into his ear I rather pathetically yelled 'Surely, it must be his name!', and suffered much derision by my in-laws upon being proven smugly correct :P
Hawkaris
First Video: 1337

Postby Hawkaris » 07 Jun 2008, 19:39

It wasn't as good as last week's but it was still a very entertaining episode. They probably could've stretched all the exposition from the first fifteen minutes into it's own episode, though. I think Moffat was almost attempting to do too much with his ninety minutes.

From the sounds of the Confidential, River was written as if she were the Doctor's wife. Interesting to see if it ever happens, and if it happens on-screen. Hopefully they'll wait a few years before bringing her younger-self in, because it sounds like it was a very different (and far more dramatic) Doctor than the one we've been seeing. Anything more I want to say on that is just pointless speculation.

The ending was great, and really made the episode on the whole even more enjoyable. The fake-out with the book was well timed, and the finger-snap was wonderful. The only thing I didn't want to see was "Everybody Lives, Again!". It was set up since the beginning, of course, but I hope Moffat doesn't make this a regular thing. It's no fun if you know everyone is going to make it out unscathed. Well, less fun.

Also, the music was much kinder this episode than last.
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 07 Jun 2008, 20:44

This, folks, is how it is done.

Though technically, it's not that everybody lives. River is still dead, as are her friends, they're just living in the Matrix. Which is not terribly bad, but still not technically alive.

The whole "Everybody lives" thing was, I think, appropriate, since it was a throwback to the Ninth Doctor. It's never happened for David Tennant before, and it's nice to see the Doctor be... well, a Doctor sometimes. He fixes things. He's not the destroyer of worlds, he's The Doctor!

Also, the people at the end DEFINITELY should have been naked. I mean, what is this, the Kool-Aid Cult? Everyone comes back wearing convenient default black robes? No no no. Naked time is more logical.
korri

Postby korri » 08 Jun 2008, 12:20

AlexanderDitto wrote:Naked time is more logical.

HAHA I totally didnt think of this... but its way true...
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

Zombaholic
First Video: Bioshocked

Postby Zombaholic » 08 Jun 2008, 18:39

Swarms but still no bees
Ask me anything about Reboot!
Don't ask me anything about reboot
theduckthief

Postby theduckthief » 08 Jun 2008, 20:24

Ditto is right. Gods that man can write!
In Soviet Russia Desert Bus crashes Bill twice!
AlexanderDitto

Re: Midnight

Postby AlexanderDitto » 14 Jun 2008, 18:49

Whoa.

Whoa. Holy crap.

I mean... erm... Russell T. Davies... I... erm... think I owe you... an apology.

I'm going to go hide behind my couch now.

YEEP!

It wasn't a complicated concept, no ridiculous monsters, no contrived plot or elaborate setting, not even a companion, and yet... wow. Just... terrifying.
korri

Postby korri » 14 Jun 2008, 20:47

yeah... that one was just, amazing... it was so good, the only way it would have been better would be if rose wouldn't have been on the tv screen yelling... yes we GET IT she's coming back...

oh man, when Sky was turned away and he kept telling her to look at him, i was just waiting for something to be completely wrong with her face, and when it wasn't it was just ... creepy

one question though, was the (for lack of better word) "thing" controlling the other people, or was it supposed to be an example of something like a witch hunt?

man i can't get over how good that was... i'ma go watch it again

Karkon

Postby Karkon » 15 Jun 2008, 15:33

I missed the first five minutes, if you are seriously telling me that Russell T Davies wrote that last episode I will be very cross. Namely because that episode in my opinion was very good, and if Mr Davies has the ability to write like that then why doesn't he most the time?

I giggled when I realise that most my friends won't watch this series because of Catherine Tate might be annoying, but she has nothing on those tourists. I'd knocked everybody out to get them to shut the hell up.

Seriously. Make those people be quiet, calm down, and stop trying to murder people. Oh, humanity. Whee.
As a History student, the history degree I'll be getting will get me a decent job, right? Guys? Where you going?
Zombaholic
First Video: Bioshocked

Postby Zombaholic » 22 Jun 2008, 17:07

THE JUDOON! THE DALEKS! THE EVERYONE!

GAH! BAD WOLF!

Also missing bees in alternate world

EDIT:

Is there a doctor who soundtrack? I rather enjoy the music loops
Ask me anything about Reboot!
Don't ask me anything about reboot
korri

Postby korri » 22 Jun 2008, 21:25

I totally called the Bad wolf thing... as soon as she said, "two words" I knew it was bad wolf...

also, anyone catch the references to "sarah jane smith adventures" and "torchwood"? and in the trailer for next week, they totally have the characters from both.

and besides... didn't really like this episode... I mean last week we had all doctor, no donna and now we had all donna and no doctor.. and i gotta say, i am not satisfied with this lack of the doctor... GOD DAMNIT I DEMAND MY DAVID TENNANT!!!! Sheesh... i mean really... after last weeks awesome episode, this was kinda disapointing

Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 22 Jun 2008, 22:14

Yes Donna less episodes are much better than than The Doctor less ones.

I liked the 'what would life be like with out The Doctor'.

It looks like they are bring in just about everyone for the season finale.
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 23 Jun 2008, 10:00

Russel T Davis, what have you done? I was so proud of you last, week, for a genuinely terrifying episode, showing real emotion, and then you hand me this? It is like you were trying to get a better table at the restaurant, but instead of slipping me a 5, you handed me a big pile of poo.

OK so it wasn't entirely pile of poo. I giggled at the bees disappearing AGAIN, but seriously? A giant unseeable beetle clinging to Donna's back that people can sort of see but can't? It wasn't even that scary looking! Rose is back AGAIN OH MY GOD STOP IT RIGHT NOW and frankly the whole "well the Doctor died because he drowned too quickly makes NO SENSE TO ME. I'm not buying it. I mean, when is death a slow thing? And then, London is blown up by the Titanic, and these people barely seem surprised! They just look at it, and they're like, "oh, well, alright then." WTF? And why were the Italians taken away? Are they implying that there were concentration camps now? HOW DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE? Just because the whole world is going crazy-go-nuts doesn't mean Hitler is back. Or is that it, Russel T Davis? Do you just hate the government so much?

The worst part about this whole thing is that I know the guy can write, as evidenced by the last episode. Now it's just more of a let down when he does this.

And oh man, Daleks again? Where are they coming from now, Davis' rump? God every time you think you're rid of those damn things they come and screw things up.
teeb

Postby teeb » 23 Jun 2008, 14:00

AlexanderDitto wrote:OK so it wasn't entirely pile of poo. I giggled at the bees disappearing AGAIN, but seriously? A giant unseeable beetle clinging to Donna's back that people can sort of see but can't? It wasn't even that scary looking! Rose is back AGAIN OH MY GOD STOP IT RIGHT NOW and frankly the whole "well the Doctor died because he drowned too quickly makes NO SENSE TO ME. I'm not buying it. I mean, when is death a slow thing? And then, London is blown up by the Titanic, and these people barely seem surprised! They just look at it, and they're like, "oh, well, alright then." WTF? And why were the Italians taken away? Are they implying that there were concentration camps now? HOW DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE? Just because the whole world is going crazy-go-nuts doesn't mean Hitler is back. Or is that it, Russel T Davis? Do you just hate the government so much?

The biggest question is, with London nuked, why exactly did they go to the effort of making stamps with "LEEDS" written on them?
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 23 Jun 2008, 16:03

I actually quite liked the episode.
I really enjoyed seeing how everything would go without the Doctor around.

Also, the "next week on" trailer made me very excited.

I'm surprised no one has called this yet, because it's pretty much got to be:

DAVROS.

I mean, the daleks, the mechanical laughter, the shot from the mid-season trailer of the lower-half of a dalek, but the upper half in shadow...
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 23 Jun 2008, 16:14

It was the laughter the clicked it for me, only one Dalek has ever laughed, in the history of Doctor Who.

Of course, it was Davros.

Also, I believe the concentration camps were to make room for people. With most of southern England hopelessly irradiated, the rest was pretty crowded (As seen with housing the Nobles). Removing the non-Brits frees up a lot of room and killing them is a lot faster and politically-efficient than deporting them.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness

Return to “General Discussion”