Doctor Who Season Four (Spoilers)

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
EdZ

Postby EdZ » 23 Jun 2008, 16:21

teeb wrote:The biggest question is, with London nuked, why exactly did they go to the effort of making stamps with "LEEDS" written on them?

Personally, I though that was a crowning moment of brilliance in the episode. I'm strongly tempted to procure/construct a [LEEDS] stamp, with which to label the paperwork of those I'd really rather not be dealing with.
AeroCmdr
Requires Additional Pylons

Postby AeroCmdr » 24 Jun 2008, 02:41

Graham wrote:I actually quite liked the episode.
I really enjoyed seeing how everything would go without the Doctor around.

Also, the "next week on" trailer made me very excited.

I'm surprised no one has called this yet, because it's pretty much got to be:

DAVROS.

I mean, the daleks, the mechanical laughter, the shot from the mid-season trailer of the lower-half of a dalek, but the upper half in shadow...
My head esplode.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 28 Jun 2008, 12:22

I'm sure Dalek Caan feels sympathy for you then :wink:
Zombaholic
First Video: Bioshocked

Postby Zombaholic » 28 Jun 2008, 20:30

GAAAAAH! DAMN YOU SUSPENSE!

Also, told you ALL
Ask me anything about Reboot!
Don't ask me anything about reboot
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 28 Jun 2008, 20:42

Did anyone see the episode with the Library?

I just saw that one, and it was pretty cool.
I can't think of a signature.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 29 Jun 2008, 06:38

CyberTractor wrote:Did anyone see the episode with the Library?

I just saw that one, and it was pretty cool.

There's a lot more to come 8)

Yeah I'm not being vague at all am I? :P
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
meisbored
First Video: Daylight Savings

Postby meisbored » 29 Jun 2008, 20:24

Hot damn that was epic. Can't wait to see who the new Doctor is. (Nobody tell me, if it's already known...)
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 29 Jun 2008, 20:53

WTF!?!?!!
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 29 Jun 2008, 21:07

I found it too busy like if Russel T Davis wanted to fit in everything Doctor Who related in the first four seasons and go out with a bang. I will have to see the conclusion before I pass judgment.
Zombaholic
First Video: Bioshocked

Postby Zombaholic » 29 Jun 2008, 23:31

meisbored wrote:Hot damn that was epic. Can't wait to see who the new Doctor is. (Nobody tell me, if it's already known...)

Russel T Davis
Ask me anything about Reboot!
Don't ask me anything about reboot
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 30 Jun 2008, 09:13

ok, i'm confused, i thought david tennant was going to be on doctor who for atleast another year? I know he was going to go play Hamlet for awhile, and thats why next year wouldn't be a normal season.... but if he's regenerating...

oh well, we'll see... also, I thought it was quite busy... like Davis was just trying to cram in everything and everyone he possibly could..
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Hawkaris
First Video: 1337

Postby Hawkaris » 30 Jun 2008, 10:34

I'll start with the good:

Sarah Jane Smith's reaction to the Daleks. That was genuine terror right there, and it actually sent a shiver up my spine.

Grandpa Noble. He stayed calm in the face of danger, examined the situation, and put together a plan. The plan failed ("My Vision Is Not Impaired!") but it was a great bit to watch.

The fanwank. What can I say? I'm a fan.

Dalek Caan. The insane Dalek was quite entertaining, and I loved the crazy laugh he had. Also, the psychic powers have been fairly low-key, which is good. I'd hate to have the next episode completely ruined just by paying attention to this one. The Doctor as "The three-fold man" and "Everlasting death" to a companion are the two I can recall.

Richard Dawkins' cameo.

The epicness of everything. The spent the entire season setting this episode up, with little bits and pieces everywhere: The Medusa Cascade, Pyrovillia, and so forth. And the bad guys need to steal 26 planets. That's a pretty epic goal. I wonder what it's all for. Probably for destroying all of existence. Bad guys seem to like that one.

And now the bad:

The Shadow Proclamation. A powerful and feared group that enforces order through space and time. Invoking it is enough to get invading fleets to halt in their tracks. In this episode, we discover their great and powerful secret: it's really just a handful of rhinos and a creepy old albino.

The Bees. RTD wasn't really going anywhere with the bees; it was just a throw-away comment he kept sticking in there, initially. But he needed Donna to look useful at least once this episode, so the Doctor was dumbed down to painful levels just so she could appear helpful. See also: So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Jack's wrist-teleporter. All it took was two random numbers to get the thing working again. All Jack needed to do was sit down one evening and try out each of the hundred combinations until he could warp in time and space again. Good thing there were no occasions in Torchwood where that would have saved the lives of his team, because... wait... damn.

Rose's teleportation. She has the ability to warp directly to the Doctor (as we learn at the end of the episode), but first she has to wander around on foot for fourty minutes. Good thing, too, or she wouldn't have been present for the exposition sequences.

Martha's teleportation suit. "We need to find the Doctor. Everyone wants me to find the Doctor. My coworkers are giving their lives so I can find the Doctor. I can teleport to wherever I will myself to be." So she heads home.

Martha's pocket-sized Deus ex Machina. I see your little reset button, there. Don't think I don't.

The Doctor's regeneration. It's not going to last, if it goes through at all. Tennant is signed on for the next season, and besides, The Library established that this form is going to have a fling with the archaeologist. Either RTD is going to give the Doctor some hitherto unknown regeneration powers, or else a giant reset-button is going to need to be pressed at the end of the episode. See above.

The spin-off companions. They all have their own shows outside of this, so they aren't allowed to be killed off, injured, or even emotionally effected in this episode. How depressing.

Bringing back Davros. So, a single Dalek's emergency temporal shift (a mere life-raft compared to the awesome power that is the TARDIS), is strong enough to break through the time-lock on the Time War and rescue one of its most pivotal players? Right.

Bringing back the Daleks. It was good when it was one lone Dalek that managed to not get caught up in the time-lock. But now the time-lock is doing nothing but keeping the Time Lords and Ladies out of the picture. Is there any bad guy that didn't manage survive the Time War?

Harriet Jones, former Prime Minister. Listen, as the running gag finally wears out. And what was with her logic in this episode? "I stand by my decision to blow up that ship because the Doctor can't always be here to make everything better. Like now! See! I was right! So here's the plan: find the Doctor! He'll make everything better!"

HJ-FPM's Magical Psychic Invisible Communication Network. Seriously: what?

The mass-prayer-phone-call-ring things. Does anybody remember last season, when everyone held hands and wished with all their heart that the Doctor would save them? Then, suddenly, Jesus-Doctor was reborn and smote the evil Master! Nobody must've told RTD that that idea was absolute crap, because he did it again, but with cell phones.

The bad clearly outweighs the good in this episode. Davies never learned that the first episode of a two-parter has to do more than just provide set-up and exposition for the next episode. He also never learned how to write a competent sci-fi script, it seems. I actually started to raise my hopes after Midnight, but alas: crushing disappointment.

Well, here's to hoping that the set-up goes somewhere good next week.
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 30 Jun 2008, 11:10

Davis better not use a giant reset button to erase the events of the of the season finale like did he did last season with 'The Last of the Time Lords'
The_Russ

Postby The_Russ » 01 Jul 2008, 11:56

Just to make things clear. Tennant hasn't actually signed anything yet. There were rumours of him staring in the next series (Which is said to be in 2010) But that could have been a cunning plot by the BBC to supprise everyone at the end of this series.

And remember, the women from the libary said "This is the youngest i've ever seen you" meaning when she first meets him, he'll have regenerated. Surly they arn't going to wait around to long for he to pop up again

I've heard 2 rumours about who the next Doctor will be. I'll guess we'll just have to wait till saturday ;)
Bring on the trumpits!
korri

Postby korri » 01 Jul 2008, 14:53

The_Russ wrote:Just to make things clear. Tennant hasn't actually signed anything yet. There were rumours of him staring in the next series (Which is said to be in 2010) But that could have been a cunning plot by the BBC to supprise everyone at the end of this series.

And remember, the women from the libary said "This is the youngest i've ever seen you" meaning when she first meets him, he'll have regenerated. Surly they arn't going to wait around to long for he to pop up again

I've heard 2 rumours about who the next Doctor will be. I'll guess we'll just have to wait till saturday ;)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO i love david tennant too much for this to be true!
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 01 Jul 2008, 17:10

For those worrying about Tennant leaving, I'd like to point you in the direction of the episode "The Doctor's Daughter". Remember how Jenny regenerated? Remember how nothing whatsoever about her changed?

Bingo, we have precedent.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
meisbored
First Video: Daylight Savings

Postby meisbored » 01 Jul 2008, 17:30

Lyinginbedmon wrote:For those worrying about Tennant leaving, I'd like to point you in the direction of the episode "The Doctor's Daughter". Remember how Jenny regenerated? Remember how nothing whatsoever about her changed?

Bingo, we have precedent.

I think that was just her lung or something regenerating the same way the Doctor's hand did. That or the terraforming gas. Not sure.
Heathen
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Heathen » 03 Jul 2008, 14:59

Actually, there have been several p'razi shots of initial principal photography being done for the Proms special (the first of the 2009 specials being produced in lieu of a full season), and DT has been snapped there too. So whilst he may well regenerate, it's either not permanent, or the BBC pulled one hell of a hoax to mislead the tiny percentage of fans who care enough to stalk the production team.

If you're interested, there are also quite a few shots from the upcoming Chirstmas Special (SPOILERS):

YOU WERE WARNED
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 03 Jul 2008, 18:51

I know it isn't really that related to Doctor Who, but has anyone seen the new show that Billie Piper is on, Secret Life of a Call Girl? I hear it's pretty funny.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 03 Jul 2008, 19:04

Billie Piper is so damn hot. Would hit that in a second.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
korri

Postby korri » 03 Jul 2008, 19:26

i think billie piper has an oddly large mouth... and for some reason it bothers me.. a lot...

The_Russ

Postby The_Russ » 05 Jul 2008, 03:45

She's too much of a chav for me! But give me Marther any day :D

Anywho, Yer I eat my words from befor cuz Unless the BBC are still trying to con us, I heard on Radio 2 the other day that DT is already filming the Crimmbo special. Two Doctors working together maybe? Now that'd be brilliant!

Oh oh oh! 6 hours to go :D:D:D
Bring on the trumpits!
Red Charlie

Postby Red Charlie » 05 Jul 2008, 09:47

Part 2 of the last episode on season 4. BUNCH OF CRAP Geeesss

Just watched it over here in the UK. Seriously though...

Return of the Cybermen? and awww poor wittle doctwor all alone

But yeah there ya go. It was ok episode but that start really just, like, flip sake, flip, stupid flip.

I keep editing with thoughts that are going through my head but... HOW MANY EPIC ENDINGS DO THEY WANT?!
It was really too big:

I give you this instead

The_Russ

Postby The_Russ » 05 Jul 2008, 11:13

Red Charlie wrote:Part 2 of the last episode on season 4. BUNCH OF CRAP Geeesss

Just watched it over here in the UK. Seriously though...

Return of the Cybermen? and awww poor wittle doctwor all alone

But yeah there ya go. It was ok episode but that start really just, like, flip sake, flip, stupid flip.

I keep editing with thoughts that are going through my head but... HOW MANY EPIC ENDINGS DO THEY WANT?!

I agree mate. Really crap episode. I was expecting so much more!

But i'd love to see marther joining the Torchwood team, Did sound like Jack was about to ask her. Just please don't ask Micky!!!

Finally.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Not the bloody Cybermen again!
Bring on the trumpits!
korri

Postby korri » 05 Jul 2008, 13:25

ok, for the first minute, i was like What? What? What?... i mean really?

also, that hand has come in erm.. handy? I mean how many times has it been used in the series as some kinda plot device thing? i mean really... atleast now its gone

and finally rose and her doctor clone can get it on...

Return to “General Discussion”