What gender are you?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

Are you male or female?

Female
21%
Male
79%

Total votes: 76
Kawaiicaps

Postby Kawaiicaps » 15 Apr 2008, 07:53

Boys can't have babies. but I think seeing me have a baby traumatized my husband....
vote: Female

-^_^-
concupiscentcrustacean
First Video: black box

Postby concupiscentcrustacean » 15 Apr 2008, 08:49

I find it interesting that the majority of the females who have voted have also posted in the thread stating that they are female, while a small minority of the males who voted have done the same.

does this mean anything? I don't know, but it's interesting.

also -> female!
"I studied the ancient art of Origami gun making, and i've folded a pistol out of purest prose. This is an Origami 45. The most powerful poetry in the world."
scorpkahnpoop

Postby scorpkahnpoop » 15 Apr 2008, 08:51

For now, I'm male.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 15 Apr 2008, 09:52

Kawaiicaps wrote:Boys can't have babies.

Actually, legally they can.

BoingBoing had a story about the above pictured woman who had a sex change and is legally recognized as male, but who is now pregnant.

The sad thing is, she and her wife have all the legal rights of a normal "heterosexual" couple because of her legal status as a male, but countless less bizarre homosexual couples are denied those same rights. Personally, I find this woman's inability to cope with her gender unsettling, whereas I find nothing unsettling about normal homosexual folks, and it bothers me that someone who clearly has issues is given better treatment than countless normal people.

~Alja~
Hawkaris
First Video: 1337

Postby Hawkaris » 15 Apr 2008, 10:10

Alja-Markir wrote:BoingBoing had a story about the above pictured woman who had a sex change and is legally recognized as male, but who is now pregnant.

The sad thing is, she and her wife have all the legal rights of a normal "heterosexual" couple because of her legal status as a male, but countless less bizarre homosexual couples are denied those same rights. Personally, I find this woman's inability to cope with her gender unsettling, whereas I find nothing unsettling about normal homosexual folks, and it bothers me that someone who clearly has issues is given better treatment than countless normal people.

Your finding transgendered people unsettling sounds the same to my ears as a WASP finding "'dem queers" unsettling. In addition, your labeling him "a woman" and constant use of feminine pronouns is both ignorant and rude. You'd be right to call out his genetic code as "XY", and you might even be able to get away with "female" if you were in a scientific setting. But a woman he is not. Not according to him, not according to his friends and familly, and not according to the law.

It bothers me that some people are getting worse treatment under the law than other people. Rights should not be doled out according to any person's definition of "normalcy".
mmeh36

Postby mmeh36 » 15 Apr 2008, 10:36

Ok, this has gotten pretty deep. On the other hand, I'm a girl!
Karkon

Postby Karkon » 15 Apr 2008, 10:48

Male here. I think Alja mentioned his hair as being not stereotypical male, so continuing with his precedent years of screaming in a high pitch like a little girl for comedic effect have ingrained so deeply into habit when confronted with fear, I scream in a high pitch like a little girl. Ugh.
As a History student, the history degree I'll be getting will get me a decent job, right? Guys? Where you going?
kingtorm
First Video: Who Watches Movies?

Postby kingtorm » 15 Apr 2008, 11:46

If you don't a penis your not a male, lets keep transexuals out of this, not that i have anything against them, im just tired of the "pregnant man", everyone keeps saying it's a miracle without reading everything about it, i just find it sick how that couple don't even consider how this might effect the baby, like how the "guy" is taking hormones. i don't know

Alja-Markir wrote:
Kawaiicaps wrote:Boys can't have babies.

Actually, legally they can.

BoingBoing had a story about the above pictured woman who had a sex change and is legally recognized as male, but who is now pregnant.

~Alja~
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 15 Apr 2008, 11:54

[Message redacted]
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 15 Apr 2008, 12:23

Hawkaris wrote:
Alja-Markir wrote:BoingBoing had a story about the above pictured woman who had a sex change and is legally recognized as male, but who is now pregnant.

Your finding transgendered people unsettling sounds the same to my ears as a WASP finding "'dem queers" unsettling. In addition, your labeling him "a woman" and constant use of feminine pronouns is both ignorant and rude. You'd be right to call out his genetic code as "XY", and you might even be able to get away with "female" if you were in a scientific setting. But a woman he is not. Not according to him, not according to his friends and familly, and not according to the law.

It bothers me that some people are getting worse treatment under the law than other people. Rights should not be doled out according to any person's definition of "normalcy".

Its impossible to DISCUSS this without hitting politically (in)correct landmines. Theres the physical, medical "you have this DNA" perspective and theres the spiritual, mental perspective.
I dont think Alja meant he finds transsexuals unsettling, i think he meant he finds this SITUATION unsettling. You canot deny that some part of this is really fucked up. Either the part where shes a dude now, or the part where the kids probably going to be ruined by chemical buggery, or emotional buggery later on.
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
wilson_x1999
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wilson_x1999 » 15 Apr 2008, 12:43

Vaughn wrote:I naturally assume everyone is male until im given a reason not to.

And because there are no girls on teh internets :roll:

Also, I'm male
scorpkahnpoop

Postby scorpkahnpoop » 15 Apr 2008, 12:53

wilson_x1999 wrote:
Vaughn wrote:I naturally assume everyone is male until im given a reason not to.

And because there are no girls on teh internets :roll:

Wow. There is more than one internet now? :lol:
NachoManLance
First Video: The Stages

Postby NachoManLance » 15 Apr 2008, 13:01

I'm a tasty Mexican appetizer. Many in my ethnicity deem that I have superiority over my Taco counterparts, but I see us as delicious equals.
http://twitter.com/NachoManLance

<Witty quote that induces a chuckle>
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 15 Apr 2008, 13:14

In regards to my stance, it's a little from both categories.

I mean, I don't think transgender people deserve any worse treatment than anyone else. I am unsettled by them, just as some people are unsettled by people with blood fetishes, or unsettled by people who shave themselves hairless and get thousands of body piercings, or unsettled by people who profess to worship aliens as gods, but I'm not gonna say they can't or are wrong.

Expanding on this, I feel that someone claiming they are male when they are genetically female is a form of fantasy and seems almost to border on insanity. If someone told me they are a hedgehog when they are genetically a human, I really doubt I would accept it as anything other than delusion, despite their ingestion of hedgehog hormones, their pyshical resemblance to a hedgehog, their hedgehog lifestyle, or their firm convictions and spiritual beliefs that they are, in fact, a hedgehog. Rational thought tells me they are a human who is deluding themselves. I'm not one to say they can't, but I have every right to be unsettled by such behaviors.

On the other side of the topic, however, I do also have concern for the child in question. Hormone therapy is untested and dangerous for the person undergoing it, to say nothing of a developing child in womb. My biggest question is why the spouse is not bearing the child instead, as she is by all accounts a genetically unmodified female. Clearly the genetic "father" is a donor of some sort, and to me it makes more medical sense for the child to have been borne by the naturally more capable partner.

Likely the answer ties into peoples sense of reproductive entitlement, that just because they want to have a child and are capable of it, they have every right to do so without regard to the greater good of themselves or the child. Maternal instincts are not in themselves bad, but like all instincts if you let them get in the way of rational judgement, the results can be severely detrimental.

~Alja~
Link

Postby Link » 15 Apr 2008, 13:43

kingtorm wrote:If you don't a penis your not a male

Get this Person an internets, they just won english.

I'm quite manly, if I do say so myself.
scorpkahnpoop

Postby scorpkahnpoop » 15 Apr 2008, 13:45

Needs verb! What could be in that gap I wonder?
Mouse

Postby Mouse » 15 Apr 2008, 14:23

I'm a girl.
Can we not have debates? They never end well.
-Holy kleenex, Batman, it was right under our noses the whole time!
-Satan wears a bucket hat!
-If tin whistles are made of tin, what are fog horns made of?
-Lewis has AIDS
-Meddle ye not with dragons, for ye are crunchy and good with ketchup
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 15 Apr 2008, 15:43

Mouse wrote:I'm a girl.
Can we not have debates? They never end well.

Seconded. If you guys want to debate this out PLEASE take it elsewhere. PM, or other thread.
We'd rather not have hostility in a thread as simple as "Are you a Girl or Boy" (Subtitled, 'There are no girls on the internet. Duh.')
Valandil

Postby Valandil » 15 Apr 2008, 15:51

scorpkahnpoop wrote:Needs verb! What could be in that gap I wonder?

I didn't even notice the lack of verb. I was too strung up on "Your/you're".
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 15 Apr 2008, 16:39

Well, we now have an answer for why there's so much talk about how Ash and Kathleen (and Kate, Graham's sister) are hot, but relatively little talk about how the guys are hot - because the majority of people here are male for some reason.

I have considered asking about sexual orientation, as that might provide an even greater level of insight into this matter, but I think it's too personal.

Presumably most people here are hetero, and thus all of the panting after the ladies.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
AeroCmdr
Requires Additional Pylons

Postby AeroCmdr » 15 Apr 2008, 16:45

I am a male.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 15 Apr 2008, 17:21

Melendwyr wrote:Well, we now have an answer for why there's so much talk about how Ash and Kathleen (and Kate, Graham's sister) are hot, but relatively little talk about how the guys are hot - because the majority of people here are male for some reason.

I have considered asking about sexual orientation, as that might provide an even greater level of insight into this matter, but I think it's too personal.

Presumably most people here are hetero, and thus all of the panting after the ladies.

Or it could be the fact that women seem to be more level headed about the whole "expressing attraction" thing than men.

Most women seem to spin a dialog, while most men just shout "boobies!" :?
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 15 Apr 2008, 17:24

AlexanderDitto wrote:Or it could be the fact that women seem to be more level headed about the whole "expressing attraction" thing than men.

That's socialization. Given the right circumstances, women will wolf-whistle with the best of them.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
Link

Postby Link » 15 Apr 2008, 17:39

AlexanderDitto wrote:"boobies!"

What? WHERE!?

Hey guys! Alex found boobies!
Nomadic
First Video: Serious Cravings

Postby Nomadic » 15 Apr 2008, 17:46

On the subject of boobies, I'm curious how the man-girl is going to keep the baby alive as it's primary source of both nutrition and immunity to diseases comes from the mother's boobies...and with no mother who can fit the bill...

This note comes from the twisted mind of Nomad...read at your own risk. XD
Successfully lurking since 1709.

Return to “General Discussion”