Grand Theft Auto 4

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

Will you be buying GTA:4?

Poll ended at 26 May 2008, 05:06

Yes, I have it reserved
17%
Yes
40%
No
42%

Total votes: 52
JohnyMcmuffin
THERE'S Waldo!
First Video: The Stages

Postby JohnyMcmuffin » 27 Apr 2008, 13:22

No consoles so no for me. Also I'd much rather just play this game at my friends' houses then really sit down and go through the whole thing. I have more fun with it in an episodic fashion.
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 27 Apr 2008, 13:25

Will there be offline multiplayer?
That I have a gold membership but I rather play offline.
i dont know what's happening anymore
Heathen
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Heathen » 27 Apr 2008, 14:49

Lavos wrote:Will there be offline multiplayer?
That I have a gold membership but I rather play offline.

Code: Select all

You need to be signed into Xbox LIVE to access Xbox LIVE game play features

That's what your phone (the method used to enter multiplayer) says when you're offline, so I'm assuming the answer is no, unless I've missed a trick.
HYRS
First Video: Quantam Documentary? It's been awhile.

Postby HYRS » 27 Apr 2008, 15:03

I've probably read every scrap of information on Grand Theft Auto 4, especially the multiplayer and I'm damn sure there isn't any offline multiplayer. I'm sure enough that I've bought a PS3 so I can play with my friends.

So yeah, nothing offline.
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 28 Apr 2008, 04:59

Personally, the latest game console I've got is the PS2 and I'm not buying a new one. If it comes out on PC, I'll get it. If not no big loss, I'll live. I've clocked Liberty City and Vice City, I never bothered to borrow San Andreas off my mate, they're good games but I prefer online play to vsing bots.

Heres to it coming to PC.
Graham in a locked thread wrote:Think before you post.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 28 Apr 2008, 06:53

Stay strong, my fellow PC gamers. The tides of history will change in due course, and the influence of consoles will recede to reasonable levels once more.

The revival of consoles since the Project Dolphin Era was unexpected and heralded a great schism in the history of we gamers, a time of great influx but at the cost of quality. The Great Exploitation was a tide of sorrow and strife as our very numbers were infiltrated by the unwashed masses, our social position overrun and turned to the mainstream.

Now we few faithful wait in obscurity, knowing in our hearts that while the glory days of the retro age are long gone, a fabled and prophecized Rennaissance may yet occur in gaming. And our patience will not only allow us to endure to see it's rise and join in the eternal glories, but many of our own may yet even lead the way into this wondrous new age of rebirth and new beginnings as the very architects ourselves of those games yet to come.

Keep the faith, my friends. Lrrmen.

~Alja~
Whatchamabiscut

Postby Whatchamabiscut » 28 Apr 2008, 07:41

About the draw in distance thingy ma goober:
On the PS3 it is better because it utilizes the hard drive which not all 360s have. Even the 360s with hard drives don't get the better loading and draw in distances because that version is designed for all 360s and they can't assume people have hard drives. So "Haha I own a PS3" is basically what I'm trying to say.
Keith K
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Keith K » 28 Apr 2008, 08:22

Alja-Markir wrote:Stay strong, my fellow PC gamers. The tides of history will change in due course, and the influence of consoles will recede to reasonable levels once more.

Console gamers want PC gamers out of our arena more than PC gamers want their console defectors back.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 28 Apr 2008, 10:14

Clearly you are ignorant of the long and great history of gaming. *winks*

In the beginning, there was the Arcade. An arena of primitive fringe culture, here the outcasts and wanderers gladly traded their time and wealth to compete in challenges of skill against the fabled High Scores of other contestants. Spawned from it's mechanical predecessors such as pachinko and pinball galleries, the Arcade attracted a form of competitive rivalry that, while different from the principles of modern gaming, was none the less their foundation and origin.

Following in the footsteps of the Arcade, and bolstered by the popularity of the first Personal Computers, came Nintendo. This upstart company quickly built an empire on the untapped potential of gaming, becoming the undisputed king of video games by introducing console gaming, and walking away with a corporate Empire spanning most of the world. Stunned onlookers greedily eyed this prosperous empire and sought secretly to overthrow the giant.

In time, competitors arose from those envious onlookers, but their prospects were grim. Nintendo stood firm and dominating. However, after a time, Nintendo's self-confidence became their downfall. Nintendo failed to pay attention to their competitors rapidly gaining steam all around them, and thus it was that Project Dolphin and the Rare Breakaway became the signal of an end of an era. Blinking in confusion as their empire crashed down around them, Nintendo scrambled desperately to pick up the pieces.

Now, in the realm of PCs, gaming had been on a steady and upward climb since their inception. The early lead of Nintendo had hampered progress, and kept the number of adherents low. Technological complexity, as well, slowed forward movement, but PC Gaming continued on undaunted.

With the collapse of Nintendo and the subsequent early console wars, the golden age of PC Gaming came to be. Here, the latest and greatest games were given chance to thrive in a new medium, unfettered by the corporate restraints of Nintendo. Bold new games, many created by roaming bands of amatuer coders, competed valiantly and epicly against the fragmented console empire for their fair share of the gaming world.

At length, however, this golden age waned. Technology marched forward, and slowly PCs lost ground to the first true wave of Next Gens following Project Dolphin. Not one of the Console Triad had been able to wrest complete power from the others, but in absence of a single ruler, an uneasy competitive truce arose between them. It happened that the consoles best served their own interests by cooperating somewhat, and thus for a time PC Gaming and Consoles fell neck and neck, each matching the strides of the other.

Eventually, however, PCs started to lag behind. The meduim suffered from technological diversity, making it harder for game makers to produce for the PC. Hardware compatibility, software compatibility, and the not insignificant learning curve of PC operation meant that the consoles could capture a larger market by appealing to simplicity.

The great schism began, the dilution of Gamers from their once glorious cabal of overly-intellectual social outcasts. As video games became easier for the average person to get into, an influx of new social vectors changed the makeup of Gamers. Such changes can be viewed as both positive and negative, but at this point the schism was only minor. For the most part we traditional gamers welcomed our newfound brethren.

With the second wave of True Next Gens, the consoles firmly dominated the market of PC Gaming. The floodgates were thrown open and the schism fell to madness. The quality of games produced reached an all time low, as marketability of games to the unwashed masses was now the profitable course of measure. However, there was hope. The march of technology once again brought the winds of change.

Now we stand on the brink of ages. Well advanced into this latest wave of True Next Gens, we stand poised to enter a gaming Rennaissance. A reversal in the downward spiral has been evident for some time, and now game quality has been climbing steadily to new heights. A rediscovery of the old ideals of gaming is at hand, and with this glimmer of hope and new beginnings shine the promise of an age where PC gaming returns to and surpasses its previous glories.

Our comrades of the consoles are not to be shunned or discounted, no! We should be glad of their joys! For we are all gamers, united under the banner of challenge, spurned onward by competition, a comraderie forged by imagination! But while we are to revel in the joys of our console brethren, now again is the time for PC Gamers to breathe the free air of innovation! To relish the bounties of gaming once more, and at last be on equal footing with our noble Console allies!

This is our task! This is our vision! This is our future!

*raises power-glove clad fist into the air as jubilant throngs cry out in passionate fervor*

Long live the Gamers!

~Alja~
HYRS

Postby HYRS » 28 Apr 2008, 11:20

Alja-Markir wrote:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_games

~Alja~

Pretty much.
blackdragontaz
The Goddamn Batman

Postby blackdragontaz » 28 Apr 2008, 11:35

I'd really care about all this squabbling over PC console, or even console>console, I just want to play the damn game and blow some heads up, so that's what I plan on doing.

At the moment, I'm trying to cancel my GS.com reserve and get free shipping from Amazon. Sweet, sweet Amazon. I got Mario Kart and an extra racing wheel for cheaper with free shipping from Amazon.
theashigaru
First Video: The Con

Postby theashigaru » 28 Apr 2008, 20:13

Consoles and PCs have genres that each are better in respectively. For this reason, neither the console or the PC can take complete supremacy over the other. I mean, has anyone tried playing an RTS on a console? They completely suck. The lack of buttons for hotkeys and the loss of precision mouse movement means that it is nigh-on impossible to micromanage everything needed to maintain a fast paced strategy game.

In the same way, platformers just don't tend to play very well on the PC. It's much easier to have one or two dual-analog sticks to play than a mouse and keyboard.

Sports games usually play better on the console because all of your passes and tricks and jukes and shots need to be mapped to relatively few amounts of buttons in order for the game not to be confusing and overly difficult.

FPS games depend more on preference. You get a completely different experience playing an FPS on a PC than a console. In my experience, console FPSs lend themselves better to intense firefights in smaller maps whereas PC FPSs tend to use larger maps and they can rely more heavily on squad based tactics.

It must be realized that there are exceptions to almost every rule and nothing is a catch all that can state as fact that one platform is better than another. Both have their place, and, depending on the games one likes to play, one must choose accordingly.

This is why I'm not getting GTA IV. I don't own a PS3 or an X360 because I would rather play strategy than FPS or whatever GTA is categorized as.
Is it safe?
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 28 Apr 2008, 20:47

Gamespot gave it a perfect 10...holy shit.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
mijram11

Postby mijram11 » 28 Apr 2008, 21:31

blackdragontaz wrote:I'd really care about all this squabbling over PC console, or even console>console, I just want to play the damn game and blow some heads up, so that's what I plan on doing.

At the moment, I'm trying to cancel my GS.com reserve and get free shipping from Amazon. Sweet, sweet Amazon. I got Mario Kart and an extra racing wheel for cheaper with free shipping from Amazon.

Agreed, enjoying the game is all that matters to most people, I enjoy gaming on consoles and my pc about the same. Anyways I am really looking forward to this game and will get it as soon as I get a little extra cash.
I drink your milkshake!
I drink it up!
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 28 Apr 2008, 22:30

Read the post.
It is not "squabbling" or saying that any one form of gaming is better than another. It's the direct fucking opposite, in fact.

Yes the post is long, but if you had read it you would traded a moment of your time in exchange for not making an ass of yourself by jumping to conclusions.

~Alja~
HYRS

Postby HYRS » 29 Apr 2008, 00:58

Well I've gotten the game and so far I'm disapointed. I'm not far in but I always forget how bad the controls suck and how boring the first part of the game is. I'm sure I'll warm up to it but for now I think it's kinda lame.
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 29 Apr 2008, 01:24

I'm curious for the sake of discussion, are spoilers allowed? For I am most curious to hear in relative to great detail the actions and adventures Grand Theft Auto IV from the forum members, I'm just wondering how in depth they're allowed to go?
Graham in a locked thread wrote:Think before you post.
theINC

Postby theINC » 29 Apr 2008, 02:35

Unlucky wrote:I'm curious for the sake of discussion, are spoilers allowed? For I am most curious to hear in relative to great detail the actions and adventures Grand Theft Auto IV from the forum members, I'm just wondering how in depth they're allowed to go?

If they use a spoiler alert it'll be pretty clear that there are spoilers.

Or we could make a spoiler thread.

Or they could rot13 it.

Anything's possible
Woland owes me 10 points.
The Happy Friar

Postby The Happy Friar » 29 Apr 2008, 09:29

wish rockstar would co-release for the PC. Free, MP, mods & the like are to much fun to get a console version. I highly doubt they loose sales if they sold for the pc at the same time. most likely a contract or something. :/
Not responsible for delays due to incorrect address, payment information, publisher date change, inclement weather or Samus and Solid Snake exchanging vows in a small but tasteful civil ceremony.
Keith K
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Keith K » 29 Apr 2008, 11:15

On the topic of GTA4.. I just picked it up and as always found the Rock Station ASAP.. It's Liberty Rock Radio. The tag line "This is LRR.. Liberty Rock Radio." caught my attention.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 29 Apr 2008, 11:54

Ive seen forums with [spoiler] tags that you have to click to reveal whats been put in the tag.

Also, ive decided im gonig to buy GTA4 once i finish Oblivion.
Dahaha. 90 hours down, only 70 more to go.
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
BrainBot

Postby BrainBot » 29 Apr 2008, 12:19

Screw ROT 13, that doesn't do anything. If we want to encrypt the spoilers we should use ROT 26, and post them everywhere! No one can get mad us then. ;)
HYRS

Postby HYRS » 29 Apr 2008, 12:24

I won't be playing again til this evening since I'm at work right now; but if I'm going to post something that I think counts as a spoiler I'll just right SPOILER like that. It should be alright. All I plan on posting is anything that seems awesome.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 29 Apr 2008, 12:24

Vaughn wrote:Also, ive decided im gonig to buy GTA4 once i finish Oblivion.
Dahaha. 90 hours down, only 70 more to go.

How can you need 160 hours to beat Oblivion? The main questline is rather straightforward, and even if you want to do all the side quests and everything, I can't see spending that many in-game hours actually playing. Am I just overly good at the game or something?

~Alja~
scorpkahnpoop

Postby scorpkahnpoop » 29 Apr 2008, 13:17

Keith K wrote:On the topic of GTA4.. I just picked it up and as always found the Rock Station ASAP.. It's Liberty Rock Radio. The tag line "This is LRR.. Liberty Rock Radio." caught my attention.

lol. Must have freaked you out at first.

Return to “General Discussion”