The new TF2 achievements...

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Red Charlie

The new TF2 achievements...

Postby Red Charlie » 03 May 2008, 04:39

Suck dick.

Seriously did anyone read through them?

I am beginning to now side with the tradditional TFC player in that the new TF2 series is going down the pan. I should've just bought COD4 instead and got some realistic gameplay.

Half these acheievements are so freakn specific it will be fluke I get them.

For example, "Change to medic on a team with no medics within 8 seconds of someone shouting medic"....

right...

"Deploy your uber charged 5 seconds after another medic in your area deploys his".

un huh...

gees wtf.
It was really too big:

I give you this instead

The Happy Friar

Postby The Happy Friar » 03 May 2008, 05:35

play the original. No worried about achievement whores or stupid updates. :)
Not responsible for delays due to incorrect address, payment information, publisher date change, inclement weather or Samus and Solid Snake exchanging vows in a small but tasteful civil ceremony.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 03 May 2008, 10:18

The medic achievements do have one positive - there is no shortage of people willing to play medic.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 03 May 2008, 10:38

Lord Chrusher wrote:The medic achievements do have one positive - there is no shortage of people willing to play medic.

Yeah. I actually haven't played much TF2 lately (DotAs and CS:S instead), but reading and hearing about them from my buddies, they sound ridiculously lame. BUT there are always going to be medics, now..
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 03 May 2008, 10:57

Wait, wait, seriously? You're complaint is the Achievements?

Achievements are entirely MEANINGLESS. They're abritrary numbers. You can't do anything with them. They're the modern gaming world's equivalent of a High Score. They're even LESS meaningful than a High Score!

~Alja~
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 03 May 2008, 10:59

Any thoughts on the new map, Goldrush? I enjoyed it, but I do not think people have figured out how to play it yet (where things are, where too place sentry guns, where to spam grenades).
Zombaholic
First Video: Bioshocked

Postby Zombaholic » 03 May 2008, 11:07

Alja-Markir wrote:Wait, wait, seriously? You're complaint is the Achievements?

Achievements are entirely MEANINGLESS. They're abritrary numbers. You can't do anything with them. They're the modern gaming world's equivalent of a High Score. They're even LESS meaningful than a High Score!

~Alja~

Actually these achievements get you higher grade weapons in the game
Ask me anything about Reboot!
Don't ask me anything about reboot
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 03 May 2008, 11:08

COD4 PWNS ALL!

That is all.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 03 May 2008, 11:21

Zombaholic wrote:Actually these achievements get you higher grade weapons in the game

Higher grade weapons. In Team Fortress 2. Son, lay off the crack.

*checks Steam*

Well fuck.

~Alja~
Valandil

Postby Valandil » 03 May 2008, 11:27

Alja-Markir wrote:
Zombaholic wrote:Actually these achievements get you higher grade weapons in the game

Higher grade weapons. In Team Fortress 2. Son, lay off the crack.

*checks Steam*

Well fuck.

~Alja~

Yeah. The Ubersaw is kinda crazy.
Wraith wrote:WHY DOES THIS KEEP GETTING HARDER?!
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 03 May 2008, 11:34

all this noise you people are talknig about, does it apply to Orangebox360?

Also, regarding achievements.
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 03 May 2008, 11:39

Goldrush is pretty sweet, I'm liking it a lot so far. If you ever want to play, let me know! (PC version, not 360)
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 03 May 2008, 11:53

Alja-Markir wrote:Wait, wait, seriously? You're complaint is the Achievements?

~Alja~

Quebec Foxtrot Tango, over.
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 03 May 2008, 12:00

I admit I find being medic boring as I much rather would be the person doing the killing so I do not have much interest getting those achievements. However when the heavy achievements come out I will be putting a lot of time trying to get those ones.

I am much more worried about my hlstatsx ranking than getting achievements - I a little bit of a rank whore but this is directly tied to how good you are at the game.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 03 May 2008, 12:08

I'm not a big fan of people that play for their ranks, but hey, whatever works for you. It more annoys me in Counterstrike, because people that play that game are the BIGGEST PUSSIES ON THE PLANET, and won't rush into rooms because their precious KDR/Hlstatsx might get hurt.

TF2 is just mad fun. Especially with teamwork.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 03 May 2008, 12:12

Lord Chrusher wrote:I am much more worried about my hlstatsx ranking than getting achievements - I a little bit of a rank whore but this is directly tied to how good you are at the game.

Sadly it isn't really directly tied. The whole scaling points system seriously gimps people who don't play a lot, or who play on multiple servers.

Alja-Markir got 1 point for killing Dickwad. (3,111 kills needed to earn normal points.)
Dickwad got 5 points for killing Alja-Markir.

Fun times.

~Alja~
Red Charlie

Postby Red Charlie » 03 May 2008, 13:57

I LOVE Goldrush don't get me wrong freaking awesome.

I however do not love the same freakning medic uber sawing me to death all the freaking time.

I am a solly I should be able to pull out my spade and knock him silly in melee. But nnnoooo hes done something silly and got some stupid saw (which by the way I have no idea is an ubersaw until he whacks me with it).

My original point was if I wanted this gameplay I would've bought COD4... the orange box is going downhill the new map saves TF2 but I do not like these new achievements or weapon load out poop, that is not what Team Fortress should become. - They already saved it from complicated unintentional gameplay mechanics (read: rocket/dep pack/conc jumping) and now they are throwing in complicated/dedicated gameplay mechanics (read: seriously complicated achievements some which only the most dedicated will get soon) and as far as I am aware there is no documentation on the new weapons or how you can get them. I feel totally left in the dark with this recent patch.
Maybe I'm being lazy here but I wouldn't mind a big pop up screen saying:

HERE ARE NEW WEAPONS
HERE YOU GET THEM THIS WAY
GO PLAY NOW

Maybe I would feel less bitter and annoied with this patch.

Although Goldrush does turn me on.
It was really too big:

I give you this instead

Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 03 May 2008, 14:46

Red Charlie wrote:...as far as I am aware there is no documentation on the new weapons or how you can get them. I feel totally left in the dark with this recent patch.
Maybe I'm being lazy here but I wouldn't mind a big pop up screen saying:

HERE ARE NEW WEAPONS
HERE YOU GET THEM THIS WAY
GO PLAY NOW

Under News, On Steam

~Alja~
Red Charlie

Postby Red Charlie » 03 May 2008, 17:08

Alja-Markir wrote:~Alja~

Still you had to tell me valve didn't point me there. I'm still bitter.
It was really too big:

I give you this instead

tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 03 May 2008, 18:12

Speaking of which, I am willing to set up a LRR.TF2 game server and all for the PCers. Of course, every time I open the fuckin gravel pit map, the damn commentary comes on. I can't shut it off either. But otherwise, my Steam ID is feitocomfruta. Add me as a friend and you can find me.

Again, STEAM ID is "feitocomfruta"
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 03 May 2008, 19:15

Alja-Markir wrote:
Lord Chrusher wrote:I am much more worried about my hlstatsx ranking than getting achievements - I a little bit of a rank whore but this is directly tied to how good you are at the game.

Sadly it isn't really directly tied. The whole scaling points system seriously gimps people who don't play a lot, or who play on multiple servers.

Alja-Markir got 1 point for killing Dickwad. (3,111 kills needed to earn normal points.)
Dickwad got 5 points for killing Alja-Markir.

Fun times.

~Alja~

I only play on a couple of servers, none of which require a minimum number of kills.
browncoat

Postby browncoat » 03 May 2008, 20:21

tak197 wrote:Speaking of which, I am willing to set up a LRR.TF2 game server and all for the PCers. Of course, every time I open the fuckin gravel pit map, the damn commentary comes on. I can't shut it off either. But otherwise, my Steam ID is feitocomfruta. Add me as a friend and you can find me.

Again, STEAM ID is "feitocomfruta"

I'll add you, once I'm on Windows ^^

Concerning the new achievements: I don't really care about them, I generally ignore achievements, but everytime I get (sorry, achieve ^^) one I'm happy ^^.
Just view them as an added, but purely optional, bonus.
Can't take the sky from me. Again.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 03 May 2008, 20:24

Why is it that with the advent of the internet and the ability to distribute digital content to a large percentage of users, that companies have deemed it de rigueur to distribute content long after the game has been released, arbitrarily, usually with the end result being that it screws up whatever balance they had managed to achieve upon release of the game?

Team Fortress 2 was widely touted for its balanced game play: each position was useful, fair, fun to play. If the complaints I'm hearing are valid, they've just kicked that balance all to crap. Why?

Years ago, if you put out a game with a massive bug in it, you were doomed. You couldn't put out a patch, you'd have to do a recall, and you'd lose lots of money.

If you wanted to add content to the game, well, tough luck. Include it in the next version of the game, which you should really be working on right now.

These days, developers are constantly making little tweaks, changing things here and there, and I think it's an unhealthy practice that's going to eventually lead to lax verification phases and the eventual degradation of quality, in exchange for lowered production costs and faster product development.

Is it that games are much more complex and thus contain more bugs, and more difficult to catch bugs? Games developed 10 years ago were certainly complex at the time, I'm sure, so I don't think this excuse holds. Hm... ponderous!

Damn, I really want to play Team Fortress 2, though. Looks like a lot of fun if you're playing with friends.
Valandil

Postby Valandil » 03 May 2008, 22:40

Red Charlie wrote:I however do not love the same freakning medic uber sawing me to death all the freaking time.

The Ubersaw does no more damage than the regular saw. I.e., unless he's getting you down to minimal health, then a teammate is coming along and he's ubercharging that teammate in order to kill you, he would be killing you whether he were using the normal bonesaw or the ubersaw.

Read the patch notes carefully.
Wraith wrote:WHY DOES THIS KEEP GETTING HARDER?!
Red Charlie

Postby Red Charlie » 04 May 2008, 03:38

Valandil wrote:blah.

My experiance on one server was two medics charging me I might take one down with my rockets but then I'm left with shotgun since they both heal each other constantly.

Don't get me wrong team work is great but releasing new weapons out bit by bit is just not good for the game.

Gameplay has been thrown on its head the last two days everyone I knwo who plays TF2 has been relearning.
It was really too big:

I give you this instead

Return to “General Discussion”