"Fun" Game bugs

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

"Fun" Game bugs

Postby Smeghead » 24 May 2008, 17:14

Oh look, I started another game thread.

Isn't it fun when a small game bug messes everything up?
Well if you've played Just Cause you'll know that that's every day buisness 8seriusly, the game is awesome but just so horriable bugged)

But the most reasent bug that's been...bugging me, occured when I played PoP: The Two Thrones, on the last boss: 1) 75% of the times I tried to hit him my weapons passed right through him without causing damage. 2) When the cinematic ends upun me cutting off his first wing I ended up being hit by 2 bolders and died the very second the cinematic ended. And I ended up using up all my sand trying to reveres that outcome with no effect. 3) on the twin bosses the guy with the sword keept hitting me from about 2 meters outside of his sword's range...

Here's a "fun" bug that I ran into reacently: Playing Baldures Gate 1 and just visited teh Iron Throne for the first time. The encounter at the top floor ends in a battle that I win, looted the corpses and then took the stairs up on teh roof to beable to rest for free. Upon comming down from the roof; the same enemies I had just killed had respawned and I killed them again... and looted them again... fun times
Kawaiicaps

Postby Kawaiicaps » 24 May 2008, 18:10

recently I played assasins creed and a bug caused me to fly through the wall and then through the floor to my death. Strange thing is, after I died I got the achievement for surviving 100 enemies at one time. there was no way I was fighting 100 guys just then.
Free achievement
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 24 May 2008, 18:15

GTA4, the multiplayer "Bomb Da Base" mission has a ledge on the carrier that you can jump at, and fall down into the ship where you're supposed to place the bomb. problem is your cameras still.... alligned with Outside, so you cant see the innards of the ship, meaning youre blindly dodging boxes and walls and guys. you can still shoot them and lock onto them, you just have no idea if theyre behind cover, or if you are.
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
theINC

Postby theINC » 24 May 2008, 23:42

Not so much a bug as bad level design/stupidity by me:

There was a part in Half-Life 2, when you have your little dune buggy, that there was a powered wall thing that stops you from taking your car through. Instead of knocking the Combine vehicle providing power off the cliff (as intended), I initially went on without the car. Fuck, that was hard.
Then when I got to the point where you ACTUALLY lose your car, I was like "huh? wtf?"
and then I played through and used my car and it was much easier.
Woland owes me 10 points.
Red Charlie

Postby Red Charlie » 25 May 2008, 04:42

theINC wrote:...

So I just read that and I was just like wtf? How did you not notice the BIG MASSIVE POWER LINE!

You know with the poles that were unnesscarily placed every 2 metres to "carry" the cable.... That is more a human bug with your eyes I suggest you have diagnostics ran.

Incidently a proper bug from Half-Life is Half-Life source. As some of you may be aware HL:Source was a direct port of HL -> the Source engine, no beta testing was done, no modifications were done at all. IT was an example of how easy it is to port to source.

Anyway, I played through it and apart from every shadow being highly lumiscant shiny texture. I finally got to Nihilanth and proceeded to use my tactics from HL1. Shoot gems, shoot Nihilanth, take 2nd portal, get ammo, return and launch myself above his head and gerande him to death...

Only problem was, the hitbox when flying was in front and above my visual location so anytime I launched a projectile it would hit my hitbox and get stuck and eventually explode (if not instantly).

The best was the detpack and getting it stuck in my hitbox that when I finally landed on the ground it was in my chest.
It was really too big:

I give you this instead

g0g2

Postby g0g2 » 25 May 2008, 04:55

I've found a bug in HAZE that prevents the textures from loading properly. You can drive on the invisible ground but when you exit the car you fall into a void.
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 25 May 2008, 04:58

Halo 3 when I fight the two last scarabs. I landed with a plane thingie on top of one of them, jumped off and shot the power thingie to destroy it, I am suddenly flung high up in the air, then trailing the map to the left, down on cliffs and then die from the fall.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 25 May 2008, 05:34

theINC wrote:Not so much a bug as bad level design/stupidity by me:

There was a part in Half-Life 2, when you have your little dune buggy, that there was a powered wall thing that stops you from taking your car through. Instead of knocking the Combine vehicle providing power off the cliff (as intended), I initially went on without the car. Fuck, that was hard.
Then when I got to the point where you ACTUALLY lose your car, I was like "huh? wtf?"

In terms of stupidity I think I got something worse:
In the first bit of Half-Life, when you're trying to escape from the combine, I reached the toxic lake that you're supposed to use the boat for. Problem is, I didn't see or notice that a boat was available. So I spent the next couple days slowly working my way across...with crates. That...was painful. It wasn't until I got to the big ramp thing later on that I finally realized I was supposed to have a boat to beat it...after spending two hours trying to use it as a trebuchet and fling myself over the wall.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
What?

Postby What? » 25 May 2008, 16:29

Item duplication in the original Pokemon sereis. Good times.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 25 May 2008, 16:32

oh! Oblivion, Physics dont apply to Paint Brushes, theyre like Immovable Rods. Pick em up, drop em in midair, climb em.
Do the Catterpillar!

*wiggle wiggle*
I, Nameless Slug

Postby I, Nameless Slug » 25 May 2008, 17:05

In timesplitters 2 future perfect you can eject from a vehicle to go inside of a solid stone, making you invencable and invisable. But even better; there is a gun that can shoot through walls letting you snipe guys from inside a stone.
a_-
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 25 May 2008, 17:36

I loved Half-life 2.

The energy wall where you had to shut the power down? Yeah. I blasted the buggy over the wall with the gravity gun. ^_^
I can't think of a signature.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 25 May 2008, 23:16

I dunno if this counts but this is an old video from around the Halo 3 release. BUG or luck? You tell me...
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 25 May 2008, 23:29

Im a fan of this halo3 thing more.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qXfwd4_ydLM
Do the Catterpillar!

*wiggle wiggle*
Pretzelcoatl
The Feathered Pretzel

Postby Pretzelcoatl » 26 May 2008, 00:53

From Saint's Row, here's my favorite presentation of game bugs:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9l_YN-yRCVY
"Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
~Douglas Adams
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 26 May 2008, 10:56

Killer Instinct has some entertaining glitches that would be totally awesome to pwn someone with: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgs-EBzWAFQ
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 26 May 2008, 11:51

Somewhere I have an old VHS tape with some HILARIOUS Ocarina of Time glitches on them.

The whole hookshot thing was glorious.
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 26 May 2008, 11:58

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I just scored 1.25 million on Geometry Wars. ^_^

That's the second highest I've gotten. The first is 4.5 million.

Woohoo.
I can't think of a signature.
The Happy Friar

Postby The Happy Friar » 26 May 2008, 19:32

half life 2: if a headcrab didn't "see" you it wasn't actually there & you could drop things on it. IE crates, etc. There went all my cool tactics... :(

Half Life 1: there's a scene where barney has to enter a little security shed to open a door for you. Don't get in his way or you become stuck between him & the door.

I honestly don't think valve really tries to fix their SP glitches. Ever. There's more but it's just soooooo annoying...

best bug ever in a game:
http://www.doomworld.com/images/newstuf ... misis1.jpg
http://www.doomworld.com/images/newstuf ... misis2.jpg
http://www.doomworld.com/images/newstuf ... misis3.jpg

that's done in doom 2, all because of an invisible brush bug. in theory, that's completly impossible in that engine.
Not responsible for delays due to incorrect address, payment information, publisher date change, inclement weather or Samus and Solid Snake exchanging vows in a small but tasteful civil ceremony.
NecroVale
Card-Carrying Cool Person
First Video: Door to Door

Postby NecroVale » 26 May 2008, 19:39

Master Gunner wrote:
theINC wrote:Not so much a bug as bad level design/stupidity by me:

In terms of stupidity I think I got something worse:
In the first bit of Half-Life, when you're trying to escape from the combine, I reached the toxic lake that you're supposed to use the boat for. Problem is, I didn't see or notice that a boat was available. So I spent the next couple days slowly working my way across...with crates. That...was painful. It wasn't until I got to the big ramp thing later on that I finally realized I was supposed to have a boat to beat it...after spending two hours trying to use it as a trebuchet and fling myself over the wall.

I totally didn't not do that exact same thing...
Allen! wrote:I know, it confused and aroused me.
Also made me hate him more.

Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 26 May 2008, 19:42

i tried doing that just to see how far i could get, and was looking for Lambda Caches.
Do the Catterpillar!

*wiggle wiggle*

Return to “General Discussion”