Video Format Converter

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Nomadic
First Video: Serious Cravings

Video Format Converter

Postby Nomadic » 18 Jun 2008, 18:08

Hey...I'm looking into translating some completely legitimate Samurai Jack / West Wing videos from one format into another so I can stream them to my 360. Considering the majority of you enjoy the interwebs and videos, I was wondering if one (the more the merrier though) knew of a good couple video converters I could use.

Most of the files are AVI...and I have no clue what the best output format for the 360 would be. Also to be noted, some of these only play in VLC...sooo, yeah, it's a bit weird.

Free is good, but if there isn't anything free, I'll take ones that require $$$. Any help is much appreciated.
Successfully lurking since 1709.
Scone

Re: Video Format Converter

Postby Scone » 18 Jun 2008, 18:11

Maybe converting them all into .mpg files? This place looks sketch but it also claims to be free: http://media-convert.com/

Nomadic wrote:Hey...I'm looking into translating some completely legitimate Samurai Jack / West Wing videos from one format into another so I can stream them to my 360. Considering the majority of you enjoy the interwebs and videos, I was wondering if one (the more the merrier though) knew of a good couple video converters I could use.

fixed.
Last edited by Scone on 18 Jun 2008, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
<- <- <- <- HOPE

Image To The Lab! Image
Nomadic

Postby Nomadic » 18 Jun 2008, 18:15

>.>

<.<

I plead the fifth.
The Happy Friar

Postby The Happy Friar » 18 Jun 2008, 18:19

super. nuf said. :) just search for "super media converter".
Not responsible for delays due to incorrect address, payment information, publisher date change, inclement weather or Samus and Solid Snake exchanging vows in a small but tasteful civil ceremony.
Beta-guy

Postby Beta-guy » 18 Jun 2008, 18:20

The Happy Friar wrote:super. nuf said. :) just search for "super media converter".

http://www.erightsoft.com/S6Kg1.html
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 18 Jun 2008, 18:31

Video conversion is not hard.

Video conversion with properly synced audio, on the other hand, is one hell of a different story.
-Wraith
meisbored
First Video: Daylight Savings

Postby meisbored » 18 Jun 2008, 19:06

I use DivX or XviD files to stream to the 360. I usually download all my videos in that format already, which is usually in the form of an .avi file. I haven't had much luck with converting videos lately, the program I used to use for some reason makes my computer shut off halfway through conversions now.
jtaylor
ASCII Ninja
First Video: Talk Like a Pirate

Postby jtaylor » 18 Jun 2008, 19:33

MediaCoder
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 18 Jun 2008, 21:04

I use a set of tools called AVS Media. I paid $20 for them, though. It has video conversion and audio conversion tools and works quite well.

I also use Adobe Premiere to do pretty much all my video work. Can't go wrong with that one, though it can take some work to figure out how to use the program.

P.S. Give me Samurai Jack plx ty. I love that show.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
bigfatn00b

Postby bigfatn00b » 19 Jun 2008, 08:42

http://www.tversity.com/home
https://winamp.orb.com/orb/html/login.html

both are services which encode and stream on the fly to your 360, and are free. If you just want to convert, try http://beta2.mux.am/.
What, how can I sign on a computer? The ink just stays in one place on the screen!
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 19 Jun 2008, 12:58

Nomadic wrote:Hey...I'm looking into translating some completely legitimate Samurai Jack / West Wing videos...

Take that legislative agenda and shove it up your ass.
Nomadic

Postby Nomadic » 19 Jun 2008, 13:23

I'll look into those. Thanks for the suggestions.

Also, I have no problems with the stream, bigfatn00b. My desktop and 360 are hardlined into the same network, and with my videos folder set to "share," the result is one made of joy...I just need file formats my 360 understands. ><

Dominic Appleguard wrote:
Nomadic wrote:Hey...I'm looking into translating some completely legitimate Samurai Jack / West Wing videos...

Take that legislative agenda and shove it up your ass.

Allow me to say this as simply as possible.
WTF.

On an unrelated side note, the West Wing is an amazing series that you will watch and enjoy, Dominic. */Force Persuade*
bigfatn00b

Postby bigfatn00b » 20 Jun 2008, 13:39

Nomadic wrote:Also, I have no problems with the stream, bigfatn00b. My desktop and 360 are hardlined into the same network, and with my videos folder set to "share," the result is one made of joy...I just need file formats my 360 understands. ><

I understand that you can share, but the solutions I offered let you play multiple media formats. They transcode the media on the fly, so you can stream anything and it will be output to the 360 in a recognizable format. It's designed to save you a step.
What, how can I sign on a computer? The ink just stays in one place on the screen!
Nomadic

Postby Nomadic » 20 Jun 2008, 15:12

Seriously? In that case, thanks to you as well. XD

*Tries to hide error behind page two*
Nomadic

Postby Nomadic » 21 Jun 2008, 20:09

meisbored wrote:I use DivX or XviD files to stream to the 360. I usually download all my videos in that format already, which is usually in the form of an .avi file.

Right, so the only way I know how to share files to my 360 is through WMP, and it doesn't accept the XviD files I do have...so, I have no clue how to share those to the 360. Any suggestions?

Also: all of the converters you guys have suggested have bombed miserably. Perhaps I should note that I'm running Vista Ultimate (I don't want to hear OS Fanboyism. Period.)...so if you have things that work, that would be nice.

Thanks again.
Last edited by Nomadic on 21 Jun 2008, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
Beta-guy

Postby Beta-guy » 21 Jun 2008, 21:54

Nomadic wrote:
meisbored wrote:I use DivX or XviD files to stream to the 360. I usually download all my videos in that format already, which is usually in the form of an .avi file.

Right, so the only way I know how to share files to my 360 is through WMP, and it doesn't accept the XviD files I do have...so, I have no clue how to share those to the 360. Any suggestions?

Also: all of the converters you guys have suggested have bombed miserably. Perhaps I should note that I'm running Vista Ultimate (<b>I don't want to hear OS Fanboyism. Period.</b>)...so if you have things that work, that would be nice.

Thanks again.

I have a PS3, it accepts the following formats MPEG 1, MPEG 2, MPEG 4 (AVC), DIVX, WMV (VC-1), of these WMV would work with the Xbox 360, and WMP. SUPER can convert to WMV. I'd also be surprised if MPEG 1 or 2 failed to work on the 360...
Nomadic

Postby Nomadic » 21 Jun 2008, 22:11

Beta-guy wrote:I have a PS3, it accepts the following formats MPEG 1, MPEG 2, MPEG 4 (AVC), DIVX, WMV (VC-1), of these WMV would work with the Xbox 360, and WMP. SUPER can convert to WMV. I'd also be surprised if MPEG 1 or 2 failed to work on the 360...

I'm pretty sure MPEG 4 will work on the 360 as I've used it before...problem is...I can't get SUPER to work. ><

Return to “General Discussion”