Sometimes I wish I lived in America

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Citin

Sometimes I wish I lived in America

Postby Citin » 09 Jul 2008, 23:01

Just so I could watch season 3 of the Venture brothers....

Don't have adult swim on the television

Can't watch the episodes on their site

Can't get the episodes of itunes cause it's only in the American store

Thank God I have low quality streams until they release the DVD's.
"I'll be in Africa. If you need me just phone Africa, I told them to expect your call." - The Pointy Haired Boss
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Postby Cureless_Poison » 10 Jul 2008, 00:56

Never seen it, never heard of it.
Frozengale

Postby Frozengale » 10 Jul 2008, 01:49

That's a poor reason to want to live in the states....

I wish I could live on a floating house so that I didn't have to worry about nationalities and could download anything. I could be like the internet master, I could feed off any Wi-Fi spot by floating over it...that would be so cool.
If I ever come up with something witty or interesting I'm not going to display it in plain sight for you buffoons to steal away.
dark_realm
Aussie Auto Annihilator

Postby dark_realm » 10 Jul 2008, 02:41

i wish i lived in australia....
CaPpY wrote:dark_realm really is a jerk....
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 10 Jul 2008, 03:03

dark_realm wrote:i wish i lived in australia....

Ah, don't we all.....

....wait a minute.....

:P
The only reason I would wanna live in the states is for the FAAAAR superior internet and technology pricings.

Aside from that, I love my country and it's frustrating politics. :)
Graham in a locked thread wrote:Think before you post.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 10 Jul 2008, 03:57

Oh? Tell me about the new laws passed for the Pope's visit to Australia that sweepingly restrict free speech by forbidding anything that might "annoy" Catholics.

And also tell me why everything on your continent is venomous. Even the ducks.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 10 Jul 2008, 04:33

I wish I lived in.. mini mini mini mini wheats! Mah-mini wheats!
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Red Charlie

Postby Red Charlie » 10 Jul 2008, 04:33

Oh damn. Gotta send some Loyalists over there to sort them out!!!

Some knee capp'ns coming your way Austrailia!
It was really too big:

I give you this instead

dark_realm
Aussie Auto Annihilator

Postby dark_realm » 10 Jul 2008, 06:10

Melendwyr wrote:Oh? Tell me about the new laws passed for the Pope's visit to Australia that sweepingly restrict free speech by forbidding anything that might "annoy" Catholics.

And also tell me why everything on your continent is venomous. Even the ducks.

Well the laws dont effect me cause im nowhere near where the pope will be, so yeh, i have no idea about that one...

But we are all just born tough so we need things that will kill us. We might have all these things that are venomous, but i haven't ran into any of them other than a few spiders, if you grew up here you would know that the things here aren't a problem... other than the ducks.. and the spiders with the health meters...

CaPpY wrote:dark_realm really is a jerk....
Unclever title

Postby Unclever title » 10 Jul 2008, 12:15

Frozengale wrote:That's a poor reason to want to live in the states....

I wish I could live on a floating house so that I didn't have to worry about nationalities and could download anything. I could be like the internet master, I could feed off any Wi-Fi spot by floating over it...that would be so cool.

The only problem I see with this is that when you hover over other countries unless you have the proper diplomatic ties it might well be seen as an invasion. So before you know it you could be shot out of the sky, land on a wicked witch and no longer be in kansas. Nope you'd be in Arkansas.

Anyways this idea sounds suspiciously familiar to an idea I had a while ago.

Say... Some guy wants to make his own country so he somehow obtains an aircraft carrier and somehow (perhaps by military means) gains recognition that his ship is a country in and of itself, thereby he has a mobile country. One of the issues this country might have is if it were to dock at another country... then isn't the ship nation invading the country that it is docked at? Cause the ship nation IS pressing its borders into the borders of the other...

Not that I ever plan to do this myself, I kinda like the US, but it would be cool to see.
My train of thought is more like a roller coaster that has loop de loops and no safety bars.
I don't know if I'm tall enough to ride.
kkief02

Postby kkief02 » 10 Jul 2008, 12:26

Unclever title wrote:

The only problem I see with this is that when you hover over other countries unless you have the proper diplomatic ties it might well be seen as an invasion. So before you know it you could be shot out of the sky, land on a wicked witch and no longer be in kansas. Nope you'd be in Arkansas.

Say... Some guy wants to make his own country so he somehow obtains an aircraft carrier and somehow (perhaps by military means) gains recognition that his ship is a country in and of itself, thereby he has a mobile country. One of the issues this country might have is if it were to dock at another country... then isn't the ship nation invading the country that it is docked at? Cause the ship nation IS pressing its borders into the borders of the other...

Not that I ever plan to do this myself, I kinda like the US, but it would be cool to see.
I think he's more talking about a boat... not an airship....
Graham wrote:It was less "filler" and more "I'm Morgan! I want to show off my hat! I have sex with dead horses!"
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 10 Jul 2008, 12:29

That would depend, if the borders of your country are skin-tight to the hull of the aircraft carrier, than it would probably be treated the same as when (for example) an American aircraft carrier or other large military ship docks in another country. It would likely require serious diplomatic negotiations in advance though.

If however, you declared the borders of your country to extend 50 miles out from the hull of your aircraft carrier, then likely you wouldn't be allowed within 50 miles of another country's borders.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Unclever title

Postby Unclever title » 10 Jul 2008, 12:29

But how much Wi-Fi can you find in the ocean? Because with rivers and lakes you do need to worry about Nationalities.
My train of thought is more like a roller coaster that has loop de loops and no safety bars.

kkief02

Postby kkief02 » 10 Jul 2008, 12:31

Unclever title wrote:But how much Wi-Fi can you find in the ocean? Because with rivers and lakes you do need to worry about Nationalities.
True. Then he probably is talking about an airship

Graham wrote:It was less "filler" and more "I'm Morgan! I want to show off my hat! I have sex with dead horses!"
Unclever title

Postby Unclever title » 10 Jul 2008, 12:31

Master Gunner wrote: It would likely require serious diplomatic negotiations in advance though.

It's a good thing Modern Aircraft Carriers can be out to sea for somewhere around twenty years at a time. :)

RandomCheese

Postby RandomCheese » 10 Jul 2008, 13:12

Citin wrote:Sometimes I wish I lived in America

You don't mean that. Think of all you'd be giving up.
Low quality Youtube sketches? Amazing!
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 10 Jul 2008, 14:25

We do HAVE maple syrup, beer and hockey, you know.
-Wraith
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 10 Jul 2008, 14:41

Maybe, but it's better up here.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 10 Jul 2008, 15:14

Master Gunner wrote:Maybe, but it's better up here.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 10 Jul 2008, 15:52

Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Frozengale

Postby Frozengale » 10 Jul 2008, 16:31

Unclever title wrote:

Darn I guess I'll have to steal a cloaking device from the Romulans or something. I always thought instead of an aircraft carrier you just build a giant barge, anchor in the ocean, build huge walls (to protect from waves) and have underwater cables/pipes for electricity, internet, water (or just purify it from the ocean) and sewage(unless you have a giant take for that and make a dumpster run every few months)

And of course you would have to name the country something cool. Hmm... "The Lone Island", "Pwnzorville", "Leetland", "The Chuck Norris Cave"....Idk.

If I ever come up with something witty or interesting I'm not going to display it in plain sight for you buffoons to steal away.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 10 Jul 2008, 16:34

Bonjour Motherfuckers.
While I dislike Trudeau as a rule, I will admit that he was pretty badass in his day.
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 10 Jul 2008, 16:36

I wish I lived in [message redacted]
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 10 Jul 2008, 17:01

But really, I'd rather live no where else.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Postby Cureless_Poison » 10 Jul 2008, 17:04

Unlucky wrote:The only reason I would wanna live in the states is for the FAAAAR superior internet and technology pricings.

AoL goes for 29.95$ usd a month, and Telus high speed extreme adsl goes for 35.95$ cad a month.

The EVGA E-GEFORCE 9800GX2 SSC Crysis 675MHZ 1GB 2.1GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDMI HDCP Video Card goes for 596.80$ usd and 643.15$ cad.

Overall it's not a huge differential only an days work.

Return to “General Discussion”